Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2019, 14:53   #18151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Then why are we always perennially late for everything?
Haha, that's the sad part, the pointlessness of it all. We're impatient to get nowhere. How many times you'll see someone cutting ahead of you, only to stop a few meters ahead. How many idiots honk as soon as the lights turn green and then drive slowly when the road is clear. Just impatience, nothing more.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 11:13   #18152
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Then why are we always perennially late for everything?
It's who we are.
-> We don't drive in traffic, we fill gaps.
-> We dont wait for our turn when a train or bus arrives at a stop, even if we have reserved our seats, we have to be the first person getting inside.
-> We don't wait for all the alighting passengers to exit the bus/train, we want to board it and cause a gridlock of sweat and carbondioxide, in the walkway near the exit.
-> We want to let our displeasure of waiting at a red light known, by honking immediately when the lights turn green, so that car#1 knows that car#50 is unhappy with the extra 20 milliseconds he wasted in reacting to the green.
-> We suddenly shrink to a point object, the moment we ride a two wheeler, something we prove, by squeezing in between the rear and front bumpers of four wheelers that are one behind the other, since its as easy as putting a dot in the gap between two straight lines
-> We think the congress party sends shivers down the spine of moving traffic, since sporting their party symbol with our hands, is enough to stop a 40 tonne container lorry, dead in its tracks, within 2 seconds.

-> we are always in a hurry, and always late. Its who we are.
venkyhere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 11:34   #18153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
It's who we are.
-> We don't drive in traffic, we fill gaps.

->
I have seriously contemplated using this It's who we are as ID proof.Makes even more sense in this time of uncertainty about citizenship and what not! You cannot buy this by bribing or get it by faking it, you have to grow into this.

Plus you need to add this to your list
-> Utter contempt for the other human
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 21:50   #18154
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ooh I love it when the city denizens all buzz off to their respective jungles during these holidays and festivals and when there ain’t none of those blighted yellow school buses clogging every lane...

The last couple days its been taking me 15 min flat to reach office HSR-Koramangala at 0815hrs. And approx 15 min back around 1600 hrs. SuperDelicious - like it was 2 decades ago!

As someone said, we are just an impatient race of monsters. And this is compounded by our incredible apathy from a governmental and from a public perspective, in terms of the horrible quality infrastructure and sheer laziness in making honest repairs on the roads that the tax paying public use - especially in all these new age areas in Bangalore.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th December 2019 at 00:28. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 28th December 2019, 14:28   #18155
Senior - BHPian

Recent study by Ola suggests that there has been an marginal improvement in traffic speed in Bengaluru. It has come down from being in the 1st position in 2017 to 2nd now.

Quoting from the article in TOI.
Quote:
Ola Hyperdrive 2019, conducted in 200+ cities, also points out that Bengalureans left for work earlier than than their counterparts in other cities. While on an average, a person leaves for office at 9.30am in Bengaluru, in Pune and Delhi, it’s 9.41am and 9.42am respectively.

Bengaluru has clocked the maximum number of day rides (84 million rides) between 6am and 10pm, it stands second after Delhi (7 million) in the number of night rides (6 million) taken between 10pm and 6am. Bengalureans took 65 million rides on weekdays and 25 million on weekends in 2019.
Attached Images

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 28th December 2019 at 14:29. Reason: Added source
Old 28th December 2019, 19:54   #18156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Recent study by Ola suggests that there has been an marginal improvement in traffic speed in Bengaluru. It has come down from being in the 1st position in 2017 to 2nd now.
We see that as an achievement, authorities see it as a challenge!

Metro work on ORR alone is going to drag that average down into the Earth's core the next decade or so.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 00:01   #18157
Distinguished - BHPian

Collection agents are out in full force this weekend (got stopped 2 more times making my grand total 5 this month).. things are going to hit the fan for the next few days too.

They had stopped a couple of vehicles, most probably with tipsy drivers in them.. negotiations of some sort were going on, if caught there should be no scope for negotiations anyway so don't understand what conversations / compromises were happening.

I controlled my impatience this time, but I still think they can do a better job of streamlining and assigning collection agents per vehicle/lane so that traffic movement isn't hindered, this cost nearly 5 minutes.

If the negotiations were truly going on, all these checks are for nothing but enriching the cop's wallet. Given the nature of this country I can only be pessimistic.

I've never been pulled over even once for drunk driving check thus far and 5 times in this month alone is shocking, and they reach into the cabin almost shoving the thing into the mouth.. can't help but feel their desperation to bait. Won't happen with me ever. Hope the guilty ones aren't spared with a simple cash donation, that'll make things much worse.
Old 30th December 2019, 17:56   #18158
BHPian

I have seen many infrastructure development works take place in this city over the years being a devoted Bangalorean. Road widening, new underpasses and flyovers, asphalting work, footpath fixing, BWSSB installing/replacing drainage pipes and Cauvery water connections, Tender Sure work, Namma Metro and so on.

But from my experience, none of these works have hampered and inconvenienced people as much as the crap White Topping activity! And on top of it with very little value add! Some stretches of the ORR from Hebbal to KR Puram have been completed and only 50% of it is smooth to drive on. And the rest of it is a bumpy ride. it definitely does not look like it will last for 30 years as they claim .

And my God! For all the hours people have wasted for this work to be completed is ridiculous. For all other work that I mentioned above, at least we feel that it is actual development work and do not mind a bit of inconvenience.

White topping? The most ludicrous thing to have ever been implemented. Camouflaged cosmetic work! Whoever came up with this idea needs to be buried in concrete.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 19:50   #18159
Senior - BHPian

So I went to Agara Lake for a surgery last evening and experienced the bus lane again. I think this initiative has been pushed forward by the unionized drivers. Conveniently being used by autos and taxis who cannot be fined anyway while we are sitting in the normal lane.
Another observation was that no bus is able to drive within the lane. Mose buses have their outer wheels outside the lane thus occupying 1 1/2 lanes. This leaves just 1 1/2 lanes for private vehicles. So only a car and a 2 wheeler can travel. Unfortunately this stretch also seems to be favorite for cabbies to chat on the phone so you're stuck behind them, in fact at one point I had to veer into the bus lane to overtake a cab. No bollards or traffic marshals were seen by me both ways. Perhaps because of the weekend?
Old 30th December 2019, 20:08   #18160
Senior - BHPian

Saw this update on Instagram by one the pages which I follow. I am not sure to believe or not but though to share incase it may be helpful (and true).

Are there really 41 flyovers in Bangalore ?
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-unnamed.jpg  

Old 30th December 2019, 20:18   #18161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Saw this update on Instagram by one the pages which I follow. I am not sure to believe or not but though to share incase it may be helpful (and true).

Are there really 41 flyovers in Bangalore ?
It is true. Every New Year’s Day, the flyovers are closed for traffic from 10/11 PM( I think ) and open only the next day morning.
Old 30th December 2019, 21:17   #18162
Distinguished - BHPian

At least in north BLR, they shut the longer ones such as the Esteem Mall - Air Force Station, Yelahanka stretches. But ALL flyovers? Unsure if that is true.
Old 30th December 2019, 21:47   #18163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
At least in north BLR, they shut the longer ones such as the Esteem Mall - Air Force Station, Yelahanka stretches. But ALL flyovers? Unsure if that is true.
Last time the entire airport elevated road as well all flyovers from hebbal- kr puram were shut and was forced to take the service road pretty much all the way.
Old 31st December 2019, 19:54   #18164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
They do it every year.
Old 31st December 2019, 19:57   #18165
BHPian

What seems to be the logic behind shutting flyovers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks