Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 10:58   #18196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Way too regular to come across trucks hitting the most badly (and wrongly) designed roads in the city where flyover wall starts with no apparent warning.
The dual carriageway flyover on ORR was designed by BDA. Another blooper from BDA is they forgot to mark bus bays. So all the buses stop on the main road, holding the traffic behind.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 13:09   #18197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Another blooper from BDA is they forgot to mark bus bays. So all the buses stop on the main road, holding the traffic behind.
Buses - The colorful graffiti ones with horns that will put locomotive to shame park in the bus stop for as long as they wish causing other buses to park haphazardly causing traffic congestion at most of the bus stops on ORR.

However, the reason bus bays are not marked is since they were supposed to be below the flyover as per initial plan. Bus lane was supposed to be the rightmost lane. Somewhat similar to the current bus stop below Agara flyover.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 16:25   #18198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
God knows when accidents in this section of ORR will finally stop.

Way too regular to come across trucks hitting the most badly (and wrongly) designed roads in the city where flyover wall starts with no apparent warning. Incidents like these are bonus for regular ORR commuters.
Will stop only when the roads are aligned scientifically, are well paved, have good and logical lane-markers, and streetlights are fixed (this last part about streetlighting seems to have improved recently, so thats good). All this is a trivial thing to do, and can be done within 2 weekend nights or atmost 3 nights if done with a will and throwing all money and machinery at it. But it somehow is rocket-science in the overgrown village of Bangalore, where the jackassed city fathers (joined in chorus by residents) will do too little too late and forever crib about "Oh, but the city has grown too fast for infra to keep pace"!
Old 11th January 2020, 09:05   #18199
BHPian

A quick info for members! This may be known to most but FWIW if someone benefits from it...

I was flagged down by Bengaluru traffic police on my usual route, near to CMR college Brookfield while driving my car. Now, I generally stick to traffic rules n never drive without all current documents, so I confidently stopped n inquired with them.

The constable informed me my number plate is in violation of traffic rules, since my regn number is only 3 digits, and it should've a zero prefixed to make it 4 digits!

I tried to reason with him, he was almost ok to let me go but by then the big boss intervened and he took over from there, n my 1/2 n hour ordeal started :-(

I reasoned with him I'm not committing a traffic offense, this is a mere technicality and asked for a chance to mend it. Told I wasn't aware of such rule (thought my ignorance is not an excuse when it comes to law), and this is how the car came to me from showroom after RTO formalities, he started countering if this missing digit was in the last or middle of the number could you be excused !? He started taking photos of my number plate n told he'll send this to court.

A long argument ensued, in the end I lost patience n told him issue me a challan, I'll pay up, that's better than hearing your illogical comments, no wonder common people don't trust police for law enforcement, you let go grave mistakes but hold on to such petty mistakes as these etc. Only one statement of his made sense, your number plate should have the number as shown in your RC.

To my surprise he let me go, didn't press for a fine! Now, I don't know if he's clicked a pic of my number plate and it'll come haunting me online or not !?

I promptly patched up/prefixed a zero the next day.

Lesson learnt: You drive w/o helmet/ proper documents, blackened glass, overspeed, talk endlessly/watch youtube/SM on mobile phone... doesn't matter. You can be still flagged for some obscure rule like this.
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 09:19   #18200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
The constable informed me my number plate is in violation of traffic rules, since my regn number is only 3 digits, and it should've a zero prefixed to make it 4 digits!

I reasoned with him I'm not committing a traffic offense, this is a mere technicality and asked for a chance to mend it. ...he started countering if this missing digit was in the last or middle of the number could you be excused !?

I promptly patched up/prefixed a zero the next day.

Lesson learnt: You drive w/o helmet/ proper documents, blackened glass, overspeed, talk endlessly/watch Youtube/SM on mobile phone... doesn't matter. You can be still flagged for some obscure rule like this.
Sorry to say sir, but this is not an obscure rule. You were violating a traffic law of having an invalid number plate (since the number has to match the RC card).

I think some people skip putting the digit 0 if it's at the end which might make it difficult for police to note down said number in case of a traffic violation.

I have had to explain this to my colleagues too. Generally, everyone gets it once you do so.

Great that you fixed it immediately.
JithinR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 09:32   #18201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Will stop only when the roads are aligned scientifically, are well paved, have good and logical lane-markers, and streetlights are fixed (this last part about streetlighting seems to have improved recently, so thats good). All this is a trivial thing to do, and can be done within 2 weekend nights or atmost 3 nights if done with a will and throwing all money and machinery at it. But it somehow is rocket-science in the overgrown village of Bangalore, where the jackassed city fathers (joined in chorus by residents) will do too little too late and forever crib about "Oh, but the city has grown too fast for infra to keep pace"!
Sad to say but no matter how much the infrastructure develops, better road sense and discipline has to be developed by the drivers to avoid accidents and congestion.

I think the yesterday’s accident was due to either driver being drowsy or the heavy mist in the morning and driver didnt see the flyover partition ( reflector might not have been visible) and wasnt able to react on time.
Old 11th January 2020, 11:43   #18202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post

Lesson learnt: You drive w/o helmet/ proper documents, blackened glass, overspeed, talk endlessly/watch Youtube/SM on mobile phone... doesn't matter. You can be still flagged for some obscure rule like this.
Am surprised the showroom guys didn't add the zero to the number plate while delivering. That's absolutely normal practice and the cops aren't wrong in flagging you down IMO. Both my car and bike have 3 digits and before taking delivery number plates were printed as per RC card.

About not flagging down folks w/o helmet and all, I won't agree that it's not being done. Yeah the violations are so High that they end up missing quite a few but even in the arterial roads(Begur road for example) I see them catching folks for 2 wheeler violations every single day.
Old 13th January 2020, 16:52   #18203
BHPian

Bengaluru Traffic Police (BTP) is facing a personnel crunch. The city only has 4,638 traffic police personnel for a vehicle population of over 80 lakhs.

I guessed it wrong, thinking there are excess personnel. In some of the Signals, I can see 3-5 personnel (once, the count was 7), just to catch and check random vehicles. This personnel are in addition to the one managing the signal. Sometimes, constables risk their lives, by jumping in front of oncoming vehicles. Now that we've Camera's at almost all the major signals, traffic violations can be monitored and challans sent to their addresses.

Even, If we take an average of 3 personnel standing at 200 odd signals, the total comes to 600. These personnel can be better utilized in manning the traffic in peak hours.

Last edited by jaaz : 13th January 2020 at 16:54.
Old 13th January 2020, 18:09   #18204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Sorry to say sir, but this is not an obscure rule. You were violating a traffic law of having an invalid number plate (since the number has to match the RC card).
You don't have to be sorry sir, but while reiterating the legal maxim "ignorance of law is not an excuse", how many of us can claim to have first-hand knowledge of such a rule, hence my remark "obscure".

Quote:
I think some people skip putting the digit 0 if it's at the end which might make it difficult for police to note down said number in case of a traffic violation
I'm not sure what kind of people would skip a digit [0 or otherwise] from any part of the number-plate, unless it's 0 at the beginning, which doesn't "change the meaning". Omitting a digit from any part other than the beginning ofcourse changes the equation and the vehicle would be sporting a WRONG registration number, which is a legal offence IMHO.

What I've sported on mine - I'm not ready to take it as an "offense", non-conforming to legal requirement ofcourse.

To make matters clear: I have the LTT paid receipt issued by the SAME RTO on the same date of vehicle registration, that shows just 3 digits of my vehicle number, without the 0 prefixed!
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 09:12   #18205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Some new developments on Suranjan Das Road - lane markings, median painted in black and white zebra stripes, new (looks like a temp arrangement) aluminium pipes of 2-3" diameter unlike regular street light poles that are much wider, installed every 20 feet or so for additional lighting on both sides of the road and an electrical wire running along connecting each pole, all this done in under 48 hours on a war footing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I knew it had to be something like this! I was pretty happy that at least in the New Year perhaps the BBMP had gotten their act together and were tarring the roads, but when I saw several cops standing in the afternoon on Suranjan Das road a couple of days ago, I realized that all this repair work was because of some political visit.
I too witnessed all this tamasha 10 days ago.

Guess what? Now I see poles for street lights have been installed on the divider in the stretch between NGEF Junction and BEML Gate Junction. Hope they install street lights even on the other stretch of Suranjan Das Road between BEML Gate Junction and HAL Main Gate Junction. This road is presently unlit and too dark in night time and traffic density has increased multifold in the last decade. I frequent this stretch in night time and high-beam is a BIG menace here. Hope street lights reduces this menace.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 10:19   #18206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Suranjan Das Road
Last Sunday on Suranjan Das Road saw a bunch of stunt bikers. This was between HAL hospital and the JB Nagar junction. These guys were - wait for it - doing wheelies while intentionally going opposite to traffic flow, trying to stick to the middle of the carriageway. I myself almost hit one of them (could have been the end of him, as a matter of fact).

Saw some auto guys trying to get these guys to quit. It was becoming a shouting fest.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 11:59   #18207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Bengaluru Traffic Police (BTP) is facing a personnel crunch. The city only has 4,638 traffic police personnel for a vehicle population of over 80 lakhs.

I guessed it wrong, thinking there are excess personnel. In some of the Signals, I can see 3-5 personnel (once, the count was 7), just to catch and check random vehicles. This personnel are in addition to the one managing the signal. Sometimes, constables risk their lives, by jumping in front of oncoming vehicles. Now that we've Camera's at almost all the major signals, traffic violations can be monitored and challans sent to their addresses.

Even, If we take an average of 3 personnel standing at 200 odd signals, the total comes to 600. These personnel can be better utilized in manning the traffic in peak hours.
You cannot just increase the personal to control traffic, digitization is the way forward, Give Camera to Traffic cops, instead of holding sticks and stopping, they should click photos of violators and upload with fine. And then fixing cameras in junctions.

Hyderabad has been way better on this, lot of cameras installed in road and with constables. You just come to know on fine in SMS.. The so called Silicon valley still has manual enforcement.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 15:47   #18208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
You cannot just increase...
...better on this, lot of cameras installed in road and with constables. You just come to know on fine in SMS.. The so called Silicon valley still has manual enforcement.
Unfortunately no amount of automation will be able to overcome the current state of affairs. Government employees have sabotaged all automation measures put in place by sincere officials. If cameras are not sabotaged, there is always wilful neglect - I wonder what percentage of cameras are actually functional.
If you wish to take stock of the situation, just visit any toll plaza - a tag holder will not be able to make it out of the toll gates any faster than those who want to pay cash. The cash payers consist not only of those who we imagine to be anti-social but also those who we consider bigwigs, and even those we consider worthy of respect. I suspect that the day we are able to fly past the toll plaza without human intervention, we will also be able to catch traffic offenders without policemen.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 17:03   #18209
Senior - BHPian

Now who can come up with an algorithm to solve this would be the next Nobel prize winner.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1579001568078.jpg  

Jaguar is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 19:09   #18210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Now who can come up with an algorithm to solve this would be the next Nobel prize winner.
That is Panathur Bridge, a simple traffic single will solve the the issue, without signal everyone is trying to rush into each others lane.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks