Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 19:54   #18496
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
On a lighter note:

Bellandur lake this morning:
Hehe. If only these dinosaurs were policing our roads during this lockdown...

On a different note, would be interesting to hear from employees (still having to go to office) working in Ecospace, Ecoworld, Manyata etc. of their experiences these days. It's a different world I imagine.

Last edited by strawhat : 7th April 2020 at 19:58.
Old 8th April 2020, 11:48   #18497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
On a lighter note: Bellandur lake this morning:
That's hilarious! I'm going to send this to the next person that sends me one of those 'nature is healing itself during this period' forwards. But the risk is that people like that might also believe this is real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
On a different note, would be interesting to hear from employees (still having to go to office) working in Ecospace, Ecoworld, Manyata etc. of their experiences these days. It's a different world I imagine.
I know there are some security staff and minimum support staff going in to our offices. Not sure how many of those IT companies are still asking employees to come in though. But yeah would be interesting to know.
Old 10th April 2020, 15:36   #18498
Distinguished - BHPian

It maybe too soon to say so, but in what I've seen, the people in Bangalore have reasonably followed the book, are maintaining distance, have been quite friendly and helpful when in need (people have pointed me out to the stores where I could get required groceries and milk in case they're not available anywhere). Most of the blue collar women use their sarees or dupattas to block their mouths and noses, 90% use masks, the police have been more than reasonable until now, I entered their checkpoint only once just to buy stuff a 100 meters away from them, they confirmed my need and address and sent me on the way.

Such a situation has never happened in the history of earth, of course pre 1900s the history had wars and famine and plagues which were far worse but this is our battle, with ourselves, a battle of mind and body to just.. be, a difficult task no less.

Though each day passes by quite slowly and often, drudgingly, we've all learnt to make time our own, to live and survive in this blandness and monotony, focusing on just getting through to the next so that one day we may go out again. Of course the filter coffee tastes better these days, as also the Parle G and family conversations with it, television is a friend (apart from the screaming, paranoia inducing news) and those precious time spent walking outside (within society premises) gives the outdoors an all new perspective.

Butterflies are fluttering about, today I saw an eagle pick up a rat and fly away with it (been years since I saw an actual eagle, leave alone one in hunting mode), almost any time I look outside, it's a Kodak moment. While it maybe clichéd and overstated, nature does seem to be bouncing back, giving us possibly, the last flashback as time stands still.

Last edited by dark.knight : 10th April 2020 at 15:40.
dark.knight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 11:26   #18499
BHPian

We do our grocery shopping from a local grocer since ages. Usually, he delivers the monthly supplies after we hand him a list. This time however, I had to go pickup the groceries, since his helping hands had scooted back to their villages once the lock down was announced.
Due to lack of hands to manage the business properly, he's shuttered his shop and is handling supplies only to his regular clientele only, purely on a call-order-pick up basis.
He was telling his turnover is affected, and he's a bit harried since he is getting incessant calls to make deliveries, and he can only manage so much with a pair of hands.
But, he's indicated that his supply chain is not affected yet, which was a big positive to me.

Incidentally, this was the first time I hit a main road since the lock down and the roads appear wider and cleaner now :-)
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 16:02   #18500
BHPian

For once, after the inauguration of this thread, Corona has managed to silence this thread for almost two days! Who would have believed if, a month or 45 days ago, someone said that in April, all of Bangalore's roads would be practically empty? It reminds me how little human beings are and how wonderfully made we are - cowered by a small virus but still resiliently living on! Kudos to the human spirit today!
gtonsing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 18:31   #18501
BHPian

As someone else has mentioned earlier, Bangalore's roads are wide enough after all!. If you happen to notice during this lockdown, I am eating a lot of my words now.

But yes, the roads are so empty you are actually gazing here and there when driving losing concentration .

Having said that only roads on which there is no commercial activity are totally deserted. Roads on which a lot of shops and restaurants are around are quite busy. And for cops, they have their duty timings obviously and we do not have a million cops here. So they cannot keep an eye everywhere.
Old 14th April 2020, 22:44   #18502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Butterflies are fluttering about, today I saw an eagle pick up a rat and fly away with it (been years since I saw an actual eagle, leave alone one in hunting mode), almost any time I look outside, it's a Kodak moment. While it maybe clichéd and overstated, nature does seem to be bouncing back, giving us possibly, the last flashback as time stands still.
I too witnessed a similar incident while returning from the neighbourhood grocery store. An eagle was carrying its prized catch with a couple of crows in hot pursuit. The eagle, obviously, successfully dodged the duo and soared high into the sky.

Another incident which intrigued me was the sweet chirping of the koel at 8:30 AM in the morning. It was indeed a welcome digression as I sat down in front of my computer to commence the day's work.

Regards,

Samish
Old 15th April 2020, 09:54   #18503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
...today I saw an eagle pick up a rat and fly away with it (been years since I saw an actual eagle, leave alone one in hunting mode)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
An eagle was carrying its prized catch with a couple of crows in hot pursuit. The eagle, obviously, successfully dodged the duo and soared high into the sky.
Just asking for clarity, was it a Black Kite that you guys saw? https://www.flickr.com/photos/mohdshareef/11547400773

Or perhaps a Brahminy? https://www.beautyofbirds.com/brahminykites.html
Old 20th April 2020, 13:56   #18504
Senior - BHPian

BBMP has now released the detailed list of containment zones in Bangalore. I have to say- it's pretty detailed with lot of information on specific areas, apartments etc. Good work BBMP. Strict lockdown in all these containment zones from today.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Containment Order.pdf (9.43 MB, 1741 views)
arindambasu13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 08:39   #18505
Senior - BHPian

Ex-staffer of TV channel booked for flouting lockdown.
Siblings ‘heckle’ policemen at checkpoint; only to be bundled into a police jeep and taken away .
Old 21st April 2020, 08:49   #18506
Senior - BHPian

So we got a couple of sweet singing Bulbuls making the balcony their home (they made a nest of discarded tissue paper). They're just too swift to catch on a phone cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Just asking for clarity, was it a Black Kite that you guys saw? https://www.flickr.com/photos/mohdshareef/11547400773

Or perhaps a Brahminy? https://www.beautyofbirds.com/brahminykites.html
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_8900.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 11:25   #18507
Distinguished - BHPian

Sec 144 imposed on BLR again. Please have a solid reason for venturing out!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5_6120939278588444922.pdf (2.20 MB, 312 views)
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 13:08   #18508
Senior - BHPian

Local TV News reporting Jams in Singasandra and Hebbal. Looks like people read the news of partial easing of lockdown in Karnataka and started venturing out.
Old 23rd April 2020, 13:40   #18509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Local TV News reporting Jams in Singasandra and Hebbal. Looks like people read the news of partial easing of lockdown in Karnataka and started venturing out.
Yes, there is definitely more traffic on the main road in my area too. Nowhere near normal, but definitely more than there has been for a couple of weeks. Obviously not everyone outside is on duties that are a part of the relaxations, but I hope the government doesn't see such reports and have the knee-jerk reaction of extending strict lockdown again! Instead they should start checking and punish those out in vehicles without a valid reason.

We have to start testing the waters sometime. And this is still nowhere near normal traffic by any means. Some of those jams must have been because several roads are blocked, not because of too many vehicles out without reason.

(PS: Before any of the 'corona-shamers' jumps on me, I was walking barely 300m from my house, with a mask, just to get some fruit.)

Last edited by am1m : 23rd April 2020 at 13:45.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 13:23   #18510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
BBMP has now released the detailed list of containment zones in Bangalore. I have to say- it's pretty detailed with lot of information on specific areas, apartments etc. Good work BBMP. Strict lockdown in all these containment zones from today.
I guess the containment list is getting updated every day / once in couple of days based on the +ve cases.
I see new list getting tweeted by BBMP commissioner / CM's official twitter handle.

I could not find any official link as such.

Most Viewed