Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2020, 13:28   #18526
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Been on the ORR towards Hebbal. Plenty of vehicles around.

Noticed scores of cars driving ever so slowly. For a moment I thought they have taken the speed limit of 30 kmph too seriously ?.

When I peeped into some of the cars, discovered that people are practicing driving !.

Guess they see this as a golden opportunity to learn or 'fine-tune' their skills.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 12:26   #18527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Yes and my statement will repeat, some contractor somewhere is getting rich in the middle of all the COVID crisis too. I guess I should change careers and become one such contractor. Install plastic poles, gets broken. Then install solid bollards, people crash into them, remove them and paint the lane. Then in the middle of all the crisis get back to plastic bollards, this time more dense so that you make more money, and there is no way a stuck vehicle can get out of this lane without breaking more bollards. What a scheme!
Also, not to forget the metro work is planned to start soon (earlier reports pointed to mid 2020) on the same stretch. I am sure these plastic poles will be removed (or mowed down by BMTC buses and cabs over the time) and painting on the road is going to hold no meaning. This is such a royal waste of tax-payers money, instead they should have ideally repaired the bad sections of the road.

Like you said in the quote above, it does not need rocket science to understand the benaficiaries of these activities, it is so shameful that authorities taking these decisions don't fear accountability of wasting public money with such openness and ease !
Rahul_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 10:19   #18528
Senior - BHPian

The new plastic bollards that are up on the outer ring road posed a little bit of challenge while doing a u-turn, Somewhere near Agara, while taking a u-turn, I had to get on to the bus lane as there is no enough room to cut back to other lanes. It was a tight fit too even to get on to bus lane, not sure how would a slightly bigger vehicle would fare here. Have to see how this is going to be when we go live after lock down.

balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 12:35   #18529
Senior - BHPian

I see lot of folks breaking rules . Helmet less riders, triple riding, driving in one way, parking bang in middle of the road etc. have been on rise. Absence of traffic police is helping violators!
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 12:58   #18530
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I see lot of folks breaking rules . Helmet less riders, triple riding, driving in one way, parking bang in middle of the road etc. have been on rise. Absence of traffic police is helping violators!
Yes and the new fad that has caught on is people going on morning walks on the roads. Around the locality where I live, each morning it's like a picnic/no traffic day scene on the roads with lots of people in groups, many without masks and paying no heed to social distancing it's scary to take the car out now!
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 18:53   #18531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The new plastic bollards that are up on the outer ring road posed a little bit of challenge while doing a u-turn, Somewhere near Agara, while taking a u-turn, I had to get on to the bus lane as there is no enough room to cut back to other lanes. It was a tight fit too even to get on to bus lane, not sure how would a slightly bigger vehicle would fare here. Have to see how this is going to be when we go live after lock down
Yesterday I drove on the ORR and the road width for other vehicles apart from busses is very narrow. Two cars can drive by each other and if there is a heavy vehicle, then for the other vehicle its a squeeze. No place left for a two wheeler. God knows why they keep doing this exercise again and again. We could make a short film about this.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 11:07   #18532
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

A military surgeon amputating the leg of a severely injured soldier, who sustained a severe leg injury from a landmine. Post surgery, it comes to light - "oops, the surgeon cut off the wrong leg". But the situation is such that the soldier is still sent to the front, without both legs.

That, is exactly the situation with the bus-lane on ORR.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 15:16   #18533
Senior - BHPian

So the traffic on ORR is back to normal. On my way to the hospital this morning, I was reminded of the fact that a 2-wheeler being overtaken by a BMTC bus can block 3 lanes of the road for 2 kms. All beware, BMTC is back on the roads again, no more carefree driving, the bullies are back in town.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:26   #18534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
All beware, BMTC is back on the roads again, no more carefree driving, the bullies are back in town.
The real bullies of the town (bikes, scooters) were never off the roads, and in the past week have been zooming at 500 mph all over the city, they are threading the needle (going into tight spots) like never before, going full throttle at all times and the unsung, so called heroes of Swiggy, Dunno and Zomato are swarming like locusts all over the place.

I almost got ploughed down walking down a quiet area, by a Swiggy guy, because he wobbled coming in at top speed while looking at his phone for the address, had he slipped, I'd say I wouldn't be alive today and one can chalk it down as Covid 19 related death.

We're doing the part to eliminate this pestilence (not referring to the virus), never taken the help of these delivery goons during this lockdown, everything was either sourced from nearby shops in person or by their own delivery by walk, food was cooked at home always and on rare occasions, parcel was picked up from nearby familiar restaurants.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:04   #18535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Yesterday I drove on the ORR and the road width for other vehicles apart from busses is very narrow. Two cars can drive by each other and if there is a heavy vehicle, then for the other vehicle its a squeeze. No place left for a two wheeler. God knows why they keep doing this exercise again and again. We could make a short film about this.
I've been going to office this week and from what I see, BMTC buses are NOT using the bus lanes everywhere. They take up normal lanes, thereby leaving even lesser space for us mere mortals. Double whammy!
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:10   #18536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
They take up normal lanes, thereby leaving even lesser space for us mere mortals
They are also stopping for anyone anywhere as well. Added to that, there are morons who think that this is the best time to do wheelies and supermans on two wheelers. While the honest folks sit at home netflix, streets have mostly been taken over by crazy drivers!
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:40   #18537
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha, like many have already pointed out, never thought I'd be glad to see traffic rants back on this thread! It means people are going out and back on the roads again, I'm glad. Traffic is a bad thing no doubt, but being locked down is worse!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:14   #18538
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
BMTC buses are NOT using the bus lanes everywhere. They take up normal lanes, thereby leaving even lesser space for us mere mortals. Double whammy!
oops, amputed wrong leg.
Old 24th May 2020, 11:43   #18539
BHPian

Last week, had to drive to office, the route takes me via the Adugodi road. Was pleasantly surprised to see the white topping completed in that stretch (NDRI-Koramangala). Though the surface is very undulating, atleast all lanes can be used !
whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 12:56   #18540
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know the current condition of route (outer ring road) from Silk Board to JP Nagar? I want to go to Kanakpura.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks