Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2020, 09:52   #18601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Bangalore Traffic police caught a bike rider doing close to 300kmph on E-city elevated road. Some people are plain stupid and irresponsible
Not only was this an idiotic and irresponsible act on the part of the person involved, it also lends more credence of the disliked image of the sportsbike rider in Bangalore. There are an equal number of responsible riders whose reputations are maligned because of irresponsible lunatics like this one.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:15   #18602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
Now, anybody willing to take a bet? When will this road be dug up? I say 25 days. Some other department / contractor who is eager to deliver development services will dig up to lay a pipe, or remove a pipe. Better still, the contractor who laid the road will himself dig it up, so that he can get a fresh new contract.
Exactly a month since I made this post. A month ago a new layer of asphalt on Sarjpaur road laid, from Fire Station to Declathon Fly over.

Now, road has been dug up at two different places. One, in front of Sobha Apartment before Kanti Sweets. Entire road is cut off for some drain work. The other seems to be some sort of large pipe being laid just before Wipro office.

Essentially, fresh asphalt ripped off. Road dug up. Back to same old story.

Such things do not even disappoint anymore!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-delte-1.jpg
One side of road cut off for drain work. Vehicles are moving over the pavement (which does not exist) in front of the Sobha apartment gate.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-delete-2.jpg
Saw a big digger/earth mover and some large pipes. Road blocked with deviation to move move on to the other side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
All bets are off. Last month they signed the tender and got approval to start with magic box underpass construction at Sarjapur road / Harlur road junction.
Nope. Bets are never off. These pictures show they are nothing to do with the magic box underpass. In fact, want to bet the magic box will never ever come? If it starts, it will take 6 years 8 months 22 days to complete. Bet?

Finally.. people have been trying to define 'new normal'. But isn't it cheerful that the old normal continues in some walks of life!
OrangeCar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 23:24   #18603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Bets are never off. These pictures show they are nothing to do with the magic box underpass.
Yes, the current work is for construction of culverts. This was mentioned in local RWA groups last week.

Its a different story that the same section was relaid twice in last few months.
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:55   #18604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Additionally, the design of bus lanes is a disaster waiting to happen. .....Further, the bus lane markers should have been stopped at least 5-10 meters before any junction. Right now they are placed right till a junction.
Hope this pic i took a few days back illustrates the sheer stupidity of this exercise. Note that this is a busy junction, that connects a BMTC Bus depot. Currently with BWSSB work, the service road is dug up and thus helps reduce the traffic for the time-being.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20200726_084910.jpg

Last edited by sachinayak : 3rd August 2020 at 16:58.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 20:18   #18605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope this pic i took a few days back illustrates the sheer stupidity of this exercise.
Are they trying to force people (who want to exit Outer Ring Road) to take the turn almost at right angle?

Last edited by airbus : 3rd August 2020 at 20:21.
Old 3rd August 2020, 20:26   #18606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hope this pic i took a few days back illustrates the sheer stupidity of this exercise.
How is it stupidity? It is a cunning, clever act of adding a couple of more bollards to the bill. Next they will even add a second line of bollards. I cant take this any further. I pray that someone files a case against this. Thanks to the lockdown these bollards have got an extended lifetime. I am sure if traffic on the ORR comes back to normal, we will see a rampage over them. It is just impossible for the ORR to manage the regular chaos with this arrangement.
Old 3rd August 2020, 20:34   #18607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have actually faced another issue that I can point out from this picture. If you have to take a U-turn from the right lane, you will have to end up in the bus lane on the opposite side. It is difficult to cut the car into the middle lane.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20200726_084910.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 3rd August 2020 at 20:35.
Old 3rd August 2020, 21:16   #18608
BHPian

Quote:

Now, road has been dug up at two different places. One, in front of Sobha Apartment before Kanti Sweets. Entire road is cut off for some drain work. The other seems to be some sort of large pipe being laid just before Wipro office.

Essentially, fresh asphalt ripped off. Road dug up.
This is for culvert work into the kaikondarahalli lake. The work of the same has been on for quite some time, now the final stretch of cutting across the road is on.
What i have observed is, as this was planned, the final finished layer of asphalting was not done for ~50 meter stretch at this place. Hope they will do some quality work and do a good finishing touch.

Similarly, for the big pipe connecting to the main line from side road, there also the final layer was not laid for a small section. Not sure what was the dependency on this work not completed before the main road asphalting.
Old 4th August 2020, 13:38   #18609
BHPian

This is the proposed Bicycle Lane(Pop-up Cycle Lane) in ORR Service road, right now this part is mostly occupied by Cabs and maxicabs for parking. Will be truly amazing for anyone thinking to cycle to office if this is implemented correctly.

Sources - https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le32262160.ece

- https://twitter.com/sudeept_maiti/st...770256390?s=20
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cycle.jpg  

Old 5th August 2020, 14:39   #18610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I have actually faced another issue that I can point out from this picture. If you have to take a U-turn from the right lane, you will have to end up in the bus lane on the opposite side. It is difficult to cut the car into the middle lane.

[ATTACH=]2037830[/ATTACH]
There are multiple problems with this whole bus lane, especially with the bollards installed. A line with enforcement was better. They could have invested in digital surveillance and fines and restricted this only to selected few hours in the morning and evening.

There could be bus breakdowns in the bus lane, Truck breakdowns/slow movement in the remaining 1.5 lane, U-Turns for bigger cars and other commercial vehicles etc..
We can add more to the list, but the guys who are in charge of this does not care.

If there was no Pandemic, all hell would have broken loose with the usual ORR traffic and would have woken up the authorities.

But their main goal of buying these and installing them is done, they don't care even if its decided to remove them. The moolah has reached the pockets.
nagarjun is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 23:13   #18611
osp

I have been driving up and down the ORR quite a few times post lockdown, and while it is nowhere near normal volumes, there are sometimes a bunch of cars together on the roads leading to two almost clogged lanes outside the bus lane, while the bus lane goes empty.

Also, somewhere on the lane near Marathahalli, there is actually a barricade blocking the bus lane completely!

I was also noticing the bus lane to be empty whenever I have driven down the ORR, on the KR Puram - Silk Board stretch; are buses on that route off the road for some reason?

Last edited by osp : 19th August 2020 at 23:42. Reason: Typo correction
Old 20th August 2020, 00:19   #18612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by osp View Post
I was also noticing the bus lane to be empty whenever I have driven down the ORR, on the KR Puram - Silk Board stretch; are buses on that route off the road for some reason?
Yes, bus lanes are mostly emplty. Obvious reasons - the bus service is very very nominal. The Volvo's are off the road and the other non a/c ones ply once in a while. Damn! What happened to this city!
Old 20th August 2020, 00:36   #18613
osp

Quote:
Yes, bus lanes are mostly emplty. Obvious reasons - the bus service is very very nominal. The Volvo's are off the road and the other non a/c ones ply once in a while.
Surprisingly, I remember seeing more buses on the roads during the days immediately after the lockdown was lifted, than in the last couple of weeks.
Quote:
Damn! What happened to this city!
I couldn't agree more! Feels extremely depressing to see those empty streets, more so, those where even considerably late in the night you could expect to find chaiwallas and suttawallas and biryani and momo shops (heh heh) open and all sorts of people hanging out. Now they're just a bunch of streets devoid of people, esp those areas with a lot of PG residents, who've all or mostly gone home.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th August 2020 at 03:00. Reason: Spacing.
osp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 00:51   #18614
Team-BHP Support

The ORR bus lane implementation is a disaster. Even with minimal traffic there are jams and slow moving. Even god cant help us when things open up.

Top top it off there are now huge gaps in the bus lane from Sarjapur to HSR which can catch you off guard. I thought the cones ended and moved left to go below the Iblur flyover but the cones came back again just before the turn off to the left side of flyover to go into HSR. Had to dive into the bus lane for 100m.

Merging from HSR near mantri apts onto ORR is even more dangerous as ORR traffic cant go left to avoid.

This is worse things to have happened to the ORR.

To top it off once more people resume work, there will be huge apprehensions on public transport and more people will use bikes and cars and less on bus. It's going to be a bigger nightmare.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 06:00   #18615
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The ORR bus lane implementation is a disaster. Even with minimal traffic there are jams and slow moving. Even god cant help us when things open up.
Very true, the usable width and lanes for non-bus traffic is very less and even with sparse traffic, it ends up drastically slowing down the movement of vehicles. To add to the woes, the bus lane continues on top of flyovers and even inside underpasses.

My recent experience - what caused me more pain is while I was trying to stick to the available lanes for use with my car, even the BMTC buses weren't using the bus lane and instead drifting on the other lanes

Its going to be absolute mayhem if offices open up and more people use their vehicles!

Last edited by NPV : 20th August 2020 at 06:02.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed