Anywhere you go in the city now, you will 100% find one of the below-

Metro construction
White topping
Relaying sewage pipes
New Cauvery water connections work
New underpass
New flyover
Smart city work

and many other dug ups, which I have no idea about.

The whole city has been a dug up pit for many months. We stopped 'noticing' it for few months during lockdown, but back to some normalcy now.

And did you try venturing out to the smaller interior roads all over? If you follow Google maps, you need to call for a tow truck service.
Nalin1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 17:07   #18662
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

^^^^
I was just thinking along the same lines about BETL. Has the fall in collection of cash tolls led to a slew of bogus repair and maintenance work? Earlier there was zero maintenance on the BETL, now it is a permanent feature.
Old 28th September 2020, 09:19   #18663
BHPian

There is a active maintenance going on. I had been on this load last week and they are replacing all the expansion joints. It involved breaking the concrete around the expansion joint, replacement and again concreting it. This is what I could notice while driving through.
nagarjun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 11:48   #18664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It's a given the moonscape won't see repairs for the gen-pop, might as well support a trickle-down from the 'rulers'.
The best thing the President of India can do is to go on road trip all over India for the 5 years, he is in office. We could have pristine roads across the country.
When the then President Pratibha Patil visited Manipal, the Udupi-Manipal road was repaired and resurfaced, even though the President landed directly on to Manipal in a helicopter. The road was a possible emergency use option, hence repaired.
Deep Blue is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 11:58   #18665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
The best thing the President of India can do is to go on road trip all over India for the 5 years, he is in office. We could have pristine roads across the country.
True, but only to some extent, don't underestimate the capability of our civic agencies to do only what is required for the sake of one VVIP and absolutely nothing more for the rest of us.

When the President visited Bangalore some time ago, overnight they repaired just one side of the road from the old airport that the Presidential convoy would use...and left the other side in the bad condition it was! I think the convoy was flying out of the main airport or an Air Force base in another part of the city later so they didn't bother with the return journey and consequently the other side of the road leading back to the old airport! Anyway that stretch was 'only' used everyday by thousands of us tax-paying folk!

Last edited by am1m : 28th September 2020 at 11:59.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:01   #18666
Senior - BHPian

Even when Modiji visited Bangalore (vis chopper), roads were repaired overnight. So we request either of the two to visit us soon
Quote:
When the then President Pratibha Patil visited Manipal, the Udupi-Manipal road was repaired and resurfaced
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:29   #18667
BHPian

I remember one of the RJs commenting Bangalore is a "Work in Progress" city. We are never done, we keep making things and generally "progressing"
gtonsing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:57   #18668
BHPian

Quote:
The best thing the President of India can do is to go on road trip all over India for the 5 years, he is in office. We could have pristine roads across the country...
This will be done only if VIPs come touring once in a while, if it a regular affair, then the human animal is able to rationalize it as "normal" and ceases to do anything special, including fixing roads.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:58   #18669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I remember one of the RJs commenting Bangalore is a "Work in Progress" city. We are never done, we keep making things and generally "progressing"
I understand what you mean. Last week, I visited Bangalore after around 5 years. Back then there was road and flyover construction going on, city was covered in dust, construction material all over the place, lots of roads dug up. Now there are road and flyover construction going on, city is covered in dust, construction material all over the place, lots of roads dug up. Wonder if it will be the same if I visit again after a few years!
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 13:07   #18670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
We are never done, we keep making things and generally "progressing"
I wonder in the current economic situation, where from fund is coming. Again recurring problem is lack of coordination between different organizations. Time and again we see that newly laid roads are dug up within months. Not sure why things can't be better planned
Old 30th September 2020, 12:28   #18671
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: No more off-topic posts please. Let's get back to discussing the traffic (only). Thank you!
Old 4th October 2020, 14:19   #18672
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic in Bangalore is well and truly on the way to pre-lockdown normal levels! Weekends are seeing high traffic movement, I guess Saturdays sees more people stepping out for shopping outside of their localities, visiting people and dining out and Sundays for drives and eating out.

Also, many roads have been dug up for re-laying water /sewage pipes and some of the CBD roads for the Smart city project (width of usable lanes in one direction of Kasturba road has halved!) are causing slow moving traffic.

Traffic cops are also out in big numbers all over the city and hopefully they will be able to rein in some of the regular offenders. Saw one incident today where a scooterist spotted the cops and tried to make a quick getaway but couldn't because of the dug up road

Last edited by NPV : 4th October 2020 at 14:20.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 14:56   #18673
Senior - BHPian

They're flashing insane traffic on Nandi Hills today. The fragile ecosystem will collapse there
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-8bfc1c3f945c4426abc817f8cbdb7bf5.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 18:44   #18674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Traffic in Bangalore is well and truly on the way to pre-lockdown normal levels! Weekends are seeing high traffic movement, I guess Saturdays sees more people stepping out for shopping outside of their localities, visiting people and dining out and Sundays for drives and eating out.
I think we actually have more traffic during weekends as other days people are mostly working from home. However, this weekend I saw comparatively less traffic within the city, probably because many went out of the city during the long weekend.
Old 4th October 2020, 20:12   #18675
Senior - BHPian

Looks like lot of crazy things are happening in Bangalore.
1.5Km queue for biriyani on a Sunday morning. Going by the reviews, the biriyani is pretty average fare. People are looking for some or other way to keep life out of mundaneness and monotony.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-eatery-133629

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks