Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 21:18   #18676
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Looks like lot of crazy things are happening in Bangalore.
1.5Km queue for biriyani on a Sunday morning. Going by the reviews, the biriyani is pretty average fare. People are looking for some or other way to keep life out of mundaneness and monotony.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=3yXuazk3xBk
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-eatery-133629
one paid youtube "review" and this kind of madness is what happens... lots of people with lots of time at hand.
WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 21:29   #18677
Senior - BHPian

I made the cardinal mistake of heading out on the 2nd. I knew that I had to leave home at 4.30 am. It was to Sakleshpur and would have taken me 4 hours.

The previous night , we knew we will get late for departure and finally , we could leave home only at 8.30 am.

I’m not exaggerating - the drive was like how it can be on the ORR’s during non peak hours. It wasn’t as though it will ease out after the Nelamangala toll , but it continued like this kind of a traffic till about 140-160 km from NICE junction. ( till Hassan )

The breakfast places through the highway was over crowded. Our usual stop would have been Swathi Delicacy, but there was absolutely no place to park there.

I wonder how the traffic was tonight , with the entire crowd driving back home.
jkrishnakj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 22:12   #18678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
The previous night , we knew we will get late for departure and finally , we could leave home only at 8.30 am.

I’m not exaggerating - the drive was like how it can be on the ORR’s during non peak hours. It wasn’t as though it will ease out after the Nelamangala toll , but it continued like this kind of a traffic till about 140-160 km from NICE junction. ( till Hassan )
I drove to Belur with family on the same day. We had to be at our home by 930 and hence we started from home at 0600.

This is never a time that I leave for such drives that too on extended weekends but I had simply no reason to reach early too. We never stopped anywhere and made it to Belur exactly by 0905.

Traffic was extremely dense all the way and I can imagine how bad it would have been for you by the time you departed from BLR.

In a nutshell, I drove onward like a tortoise and returned same day like a Leopard. It was so much peaceful during return and I had planned it that way. Nothing like driving in odd direction on an odd day.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th October 2020 at 22:14.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:43   #18679
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In a nutshell, I drove onward like a tortoise and returned same day like a Leopard. It was so much peaceful during return and I had planned it that way.
I am not able to stop laughing at the choice of words. Looks like the "weekend-warrior highwaymen" have made their return to the bangalore epicenter
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 07:31   #18680
Distinguished - BHPian

Those who're familiar with my rants, know well that I'm anti-establishment and anti-police.. its strange even to myself that I'm averse to these two oppressive forces even though whatever little society is there today, relatively organized and somewhat free of crime is wholly due to them, because mankind needs oppression to get disciplined.

However, I'm against them because when 'bad' times strike, they become completely draconian and inhumane, and that is not expected in a society which is termed to be of the people, by the people and for the people. Democracy is a lie that has been known to be told for long, but its the citizens who've to become the tent-pole and keepers of it for their own sake.

Post the so called lock-down, the police have been hungry, for they've gone far too long without their one true nourishment, not food, not water, neither air.. but the greens (since the 500 note of today is green, this euphemism fits here as well). Yesterday I was pulled to the side for moving in a blinking right green arrow, which they contested as red, before I could even finish arguing the truth, they pulled out 3 more past violations, 2 of which were completely bogus, and I mean out of left field, Narayanapura? Where is that? I've never even been there and I've a signal jump to my name, another is Gottigere, now I know its somewhere in Bannerghatta road but I've never been there.. our movements are very predictable and other than the well-known upscale suburbs and CBD, I don't go anywhere.

The cops, as expected have a simple argument - if its in the system, pay up and even if you contest it'll end up costing you more by way of time and travel, though I never felt threatened by their demeanor they were adamant that I pay up right then and clear the violations, I just stood there saying I can't pay for what I didn't do, and I even said if they've clicked photos (which is the reason why they store penalties), they've an obligation to show it to me and not just text of date and time of violations in areas I don't even know to exist. I even went so far as to ask what next? Are you going to penalize me for signals in Mysore, Mandya? Kashmir? They were amused by it but firmly told me they can't let me go without me clearing the dues (they were holding the license).

I then swallowed my irritation and firmly told them that they can't hold me for ransom, I also told them that they were civilians at some point and surely they should understand that we are the ultimate taxpayers and their employers and that a democratic system is good only when truth is used for law and not entire fabrications, AND I told them I'm not paying for moving on a blinking green light which turned just from yellow and if they want to haul me to Pannapana Agrahara they may do so. That amused them even more, and here's the kicker - they suddenly withdraw the "violation" they pulled me up for and ask me to clear the remaining 3 just so that there isn't added penalties and summons later on and it's for my own sake, made sense to me and I'm in no mood to contest though I've 2 lawyers who're well connected (paying them is another wasteful expense) and I pulled out the card.

Please be aware that bogus violations are HUGE in Bangalore, don't fight with the cops but fight for your rights, let them know these are bogus, if they hear from many of us, they will cease to do such extortion and thuggery in the future, the only reason I am not taking it legally is that they were pretty docile in the 15 minute lecture I gave them, had one of them so much as raised their voice in a dominating fashion I would've moved heaven and hell to teach them a lesson. Two of my friends spoke about bogus violations dating back to lock-down period and I have good reason to believe them.

Last edited by dark.knight : 8th October 2020 at 07:40.
dark.knight is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 08:49   #18681
BHPian

Bangalore traffic Police Has many tricks and this is one of them. Traffic violations and pending fines can be seen online on Karnataka One app. Pls download and enter your vehicle number and you can see the pending fines. Pls show this to police if there is a next time, and they cannot force you to pay.
Ross is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 09:06   #18682
BHPian

You may also check at http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in/default.aspx
Choose the option SEARCH & PAY VIOLATIONS BY VEHICLE NUMBER.

I checked mine and there are no violations. Just to check if it really lists, I entered a random number and got results. There are no photos though. I have seen people asking for the photos on the BTP twitter handle and they respond with the photos. So it may be in the database.

Random search result:
Name:  btpfines.png
Views: 1668
Size:  19.6 KB
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 09:30   #18683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Bangalore traffic Police Has many tricks and this is one of them. Traffic violations and pending fines can be seen online on Karnataka One app. Pls download and enter your vehicle number and you can see the pending fines. Pls show this to police if there is a next time, and they cannot force you to pay.
I check every week, there were none as of last week, that being the case I'd like to pursue the matter legally and bring them to their knees.

I'll talk to both lawyers today and see the scope. Banana republic state known only to earn through corruption. Hope my CRP (Canadian Residency Program) works out by next year so that I have an alternative from the 10th world right into 1st.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th October 2020 at 17:01. Reason: Inappropriate words deleted
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 09:58   #18684
Distinguished - BHPian

I routinely check for traffic fines but had not for the last few months due to the miniscule driving I've done due to COVID.

Was astonished to see a 'DRIVING AT EXCESSIVE SPEED 2W/3W/LMV' fine recorded at 'RLVD JUNCTION YELAHANKA' for Rs. 1,000! This is on my normal route, and I had definitely passed through without noticing any interceptor there.

Some Googling shows that these are the pole-mounted BTRAC Red Light Violation Detection (RLVD) cameras, in this case at the messy NES Yelahanka junction. It looks like BTRAC & BTP have activated them quietly, and I am sure many people will be getting tickets soon.

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...ntcameras.aspx
https://www.deccanherald.com/content...gnal-jump.html

I don't even know the speed limit for that junction, could be 30 I assume. I am planning to contest the same. Any tips?

List of cameras:

1)RLVD CAUVERY ART AND CRAFTS

2) RLVD BASAVESHWARA CIRCLE

3)RLVD BMTC SHANTINAGAR JUNCTION

4) RLVD ADUGODI JUNCTION

5) RLVD ASC CENTER JUNCTION

6) RLVD TC PALYA JUNCTION

7)RLVD EJIPURA JUNCTION

8)RLVD DEVE GOWDA JUNCTION PESIT

9)RLVD NAGANATHAPURA JUNCTION

10)RLVD NES JUNCTION YELAHANKA

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th October 2020 at 10:04.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 11:47   #18685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I've never even been there and I've a signal jump to my name, another is Gottigere, now I know its somewhere in Bannerghatta road but I've never been there..
I stay in Bannerghatta road and to my best knowledge, there are no signals anywhere in and around Gottigere. The last signal in Bannerghatta road (towards Bannerghatta) is in front of Royal Meenakshi mall which is now non-functional due to the Metro construction work. The only two small junctions at Gottigere village is manually controlled by police during peak hours. So I'm not sure how they could claim that you jumped a signal at Gottigere when there is no signal at first place.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 8th October 2020 at 11:59.
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 12:13   #18686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
So I'm not sure how they could claim that you jumped a signal at Gottigere when there is no signal at first place.
The world is becoming a weird place my friend.. next I'll be ticketed for not pulling up my zipper at home, accused of every crime I didn't commit and be let off as long as I pay the fine.. they dispersed like ants from a fire the minute payment was done.

Whether signals exist or not, how is it possible for me to be there if I never went there? Also police do click photos at random to penalize victims and boost their target revenue, I've heard this.

Karnataka is possibly the worst in terms of corruption in the southern area, never heard this bad a report from Kerala or Andhra or TN (which in my view is least corrupt in the southern area).
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 16:39   #18687
Senior - BHPian

Cycle lane itseems.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20201010_131224.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 08:17   #18688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy
I have seen people asking for the photos on the BTP twitter handle and they respond with the photos. So it may be in the database.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme
It looks like BTRAC & BTP have activated them quietly, and I am sure many people will be getting tickets soon.
The police men also use their mobile phones (and in some cases small digital cameras) to take photographs and then upload them into their database. Then the ticketing software would do the rest. The mobile phone option; I have seen it in action at Electronic City Phase 1 junction where people flout the one way rule to proceed from EC towards Veerasandra toll gate (next to the metro station under construction).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight
Hope my CRP (Canadian Residency Program) works out by next year so that I have an alternative from the 10th world right into 1st.
Please note; there is a police force in Canada as well . All the best.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 03:53   #18689
osp

Quote:
they pulled out 3 more past violations, 2 of which were completely bogus
Quote:
Two of my friends spoke about bogus violations dating back to lock-down period and I have good reason to believe them.
I've seen this happen too, esp when those people have been nowhere near the places where they have been purportedly reported. I thought it used to happen in Delhi, but now hearing of these things even in Bangalore. Possibly because...

Quote:
Post the so called lock-down, the police have been hungry, for they've gone far too long without their one true nourishment
Is the Google Maps timeline feature any good in defending your point that you've never been there on the said date? Esp if that's on your primary/only phone, and it otherwise logs all of your trips? Or any other GPS enabled trip logging device or app?
osp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 14:09   #18690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by osp
I've seen this happen too, esp when those people have been nowhere near the places where they have been purportedly reported. I thought it used to happen in Delhi, but now hearing of these things even in Bangalore
A common problem is that police men don't copy down the vehicle's number correctly. And when they report the number, I don't think there is a strict check on the photos which gets submitted as well. Their hope may be that most people would not contest the case. A 'success story' I have read is from a man who actually went to the Traffic Management Centre and contested his case. But he had one very strong proof; the notice had classified his vehicle to be an LMV where as his vehicle was a motor cycle. So some LMV had violated the rules, the police men did not take pictures and also incorrectly copied the number and blindly issued a challan. So the number tallied, but vehicles was different. Traffic Police accepted their mistake and cancelled the challan and closed the case.

Quote:
Is the Google Maps timeline feature any good in defending your point that you've never been there on the said date? Esp if that's on your primary/only phone, and it otherwise logs all of your trips? Or any other GPS enabled trip logging device or app?
I don't think this option would work out. Especially if the plan is to get into an argument with the traffic police men on the road side. GPS & Data connection on a cell phone can be turned off when ever the user wants so. Secondly, some one can say that this is his/her only phone, but the police man have every reason to believe that it is not true. The other way around would be to keep a GPS device fixed to your vehicle. Many public utility vehicles have it, but it is not mandatory for private vehicles.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks