Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2020, 11:27   #18721
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

A couple of days back, while navigating either Convent Road and Lavelle Road which are all dug up for the "Smart City", the Polo suffered sidewall damage.

Even crazy, I cannot get a replacement tyre due to the tyre import restrictions!
Old 14th November 2020, 11:34   #18722
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A couple of days back, while navigating either Convent Road and Lavelle Road which are all dug up for the "Smart City", the Polo suffered sidewall damage.
After the large scale chaos created by BWSSB's work all over the city followed by the don't-care attitude of BBMP when it came to restoration of roads (best excuse now for them is the term of the council is over and elections yet to he held!), it's now the turn of roads in the CBD areas to suffer from the "smart city" initiative. Recently, I took 20 minutes to cross the Kasturba Road stretch between Cubbon Park/Kanteerava stadium signal and the next one at MG Road/Lavelle road thanks to this work.

Last edited by NPV : 14th November 2020 at 11:36.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 12:56   #18723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Recently, I took 20 minutes to cross the Kasturba Road stretch between Cubbon Park/Kanteerava stadium signal and the next one at MG Road/Lavelle road thanks to this work.
Yes , an all to familiar story since my office is in Lavelle Road. I ensure I reach and leave during non peak hours just to enter and exit the road without taking too much time. As soon as I exit Lavelle Road, it's a smooth commute again.

Absolute mess, that too in one of the most tony areas of the city.

Last edited by ajmat : 14th November 2020 at 15:31.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:21   #18724
Senior - BHPian

On a short drive of 3 kms today, I witnessed two minor accidents. Vehicles were less on road today but it seems due to limited driving/riding these days people are forgetting basic manners on road.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:25   #18725
BHPian

The 'estimated' time of completion for Lavelle road is January 2021.
Old 3rd December 2020, 00:35   #18726
Senior - BHPian

While I have doubts on practical implementation, but something must be done to control unabated use of public roads for private parking.

Karnataka govt may veto vehicle purchases if buyers lack parking space in Bengaluru
Quote:
Pushing for citizen accountability in resolving Bengaluru’s parking woes, a high-level meeting chaired by Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa on Tuesday explored the possibility of denying permission for consumers to buy a new vehicle if they fail to furnish proof of parking space in their residence.

Yediyurappa reviewed the proposed Parking Policy 2.0 for Bengaluru, drafted by the Directorate of Urban Land Transport (DULT).

Officials opined that a new parking policy was essential for the city as it has seen a rapid increase in new vehicles in recent years. Uncontrolled parking in public spaces is contributing to traffic congestion, they said. The new parking policy, which has 10 focus areas, including paid parking, private parking management and organised parking systems among others, looks at a technology-powered parking monitoring in the city.

BDA chairperson S R Viswanath said they had pushed for insistence on proof of parking before a citizen can be allowed to buy a new vehicle. “People park on both sides of the road. Some vehicles are not taken out for days together and pourakarmikas find it difficult to sweep streets because of that. We have to take a tough stance on the parking problem in the city,” he said.
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 06:45   #18727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
While I have doubts on practical implementation, but something must be done to control unabated use of public roads for private parking.

Karnataka govt may veto vehicle purchases if buyers lack parking space in Bengaluru
As you have pointed out, implementation is key. They seem to want to restrict sales to those who can show availability of parking - this means paperwork and pocketable income. They are going to collect money for parking over and above the parking cess already collected on fuel. Question is, what did they do with the cess already collected for parking. Shouldn't we demand that they provide parking for the money collected - I must be guaranteed parking, because I've paid for it. The government is in breach of contract.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:18   #18728
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember an incident that dates back to as early as 2008 when one of my colleagues in the organization that I was working then takes me and another friend to show his under-construction villa in a prominent South Bangalore area. The Villa had 3 floors, ground floor planned for rent while the floors 1 and 2 was for the owners to reside. This is exactly when this friend talks about buying a Tata Safari in black soon after they move in. When I asked where is he going to park the car, his response was "ಮನೆ ಹೊರಗಡೆ ಜಾಗ ಇದೆಯಲ್ಲಾ" (There is place outside the house)!! So, forget about being an enthusiast or a car lover, this dude wasn't even considerate towards basic civic sense on how he can call the public road a parking space?

So the actual villa of 3 floors and 2 houses had parking space inside the compound wall barely for 3 two-wheelers and that is about it.

This is an incident that I am narrating from almost more than decade back, thoughts of an educated professional to whom having a parking space hardly mattered.

Considering how excise and road tax are the key levers of revenue generation, especially the latter for Bangalore, I really doubt such proposals will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I would not want to refer to particular areas (even some of the latest ones) in the BBMP limits where if you park one car outside the gate, there is hardly space for a vehicle to pass and it is on these type of roads where you will have your neighbor park his car on the opposite side too .

As few of you mention, implementation is the Key and there will be many opponents to it and finally the authorities will succumb to pressure tactics, especially from various lobbies closely related to car sales and registration.

On a happier note, this thread has perhaps seen the least of activity in 2020. Goes to say how most of the BHPians posting here bore the brunt of the traffic conditions across the city, especially the areas where IT bigwigs have set shop. In fact, I myself started to post less over the last 5 years ever since I mostly ended up working from home and commuting less.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd December 2020 at 08:22.
paragsachania is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:47   #18729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is an incident that I am narrating from almost more than decade back, thoughts of an educated professional to whom having a parking space hardly mattered.
In fact it's mostly we 'educated' people who buy bigger cars without worrying about where we will park. And our 'education' extends only to arguing that 'it's a public road, anyone can use it' when questioned about parking on footpaths, in front of people's houses, blocking gates, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I would not want to refer to particular areas (even some of the latest ones) in the BBMP limits where if you park one car outside the gate, there is hardly space for a vehicle to pass and it is on these type of roads where you will have your neighbor park his car on the opposite side too .
My area in Bangalore is a prime example, New Tippasandrara. Because of the proximity to the 'IT parks' that area has seen a lot of real estate 'development' over the past 15 years. Several neighbors have built extra floors and given them on rent, without of course worrying about parking. So everyone parks on the road. I've even returned home late at night a couple of times to find someone blocking the entrance to my house so I'm unable to park inside my own house! Since we have parking inside, we never use the space outside our house, but that's just an invitation to everyone else to use it, even though we have put up a sign requesting people not to park there and block the road. Several times we've had to interrupt work, a movie, or a meal to go outside and hear abuses for someone else's vehicle that's parked there and blocking the road for some bigger vehicle!

All 'well-educated' folk from cities! (On another note, right now I'm working from a smaller town in another state, and on weekends this place sees a lot of tourists. Often, there are several huge cars parked on the narrow lanes and the locals have to call the cops to sort out traffic. Guess which registrations are the main culprits? Not the local ones, but KA-03/05 and MH-01/12 vehicles! )

There is a limit to what the government can do, if we can't cultivate basic civic sense.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd December 2020 at 10:01.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:39   #18730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
In fact it's mostly we 'educated' people who buy bigger cars without worrying about where we will park. And our 'education' extends only to arguing that 'it's a public road, anyone can use it' when questioned about parking on footpaths, in front of people's houses, blocking gates, etc...

There is a limit to what the government can do, if we can't cultivate basic civic sense.
You do realize that the government is educating us, don't you? It is not the formal messages that urge you to follow the rules, but that visceral learning that you encounter on a daily basis that conditions you to ignore your cerebral reasoning and just do what is right to survive in the jungle!
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:58   #18731
BHPian

I don't have work from home option in my job.
Have been commuting to work through JeevanBima Nagar Main Road almost everyday since April. The status of the road even today is simply horrible. Only half-width of the road is usable due to digging work. With more or less continuous rains this year since May/June, it has been a horrendous commute and there seems to be no end to this torture

Also, roads in and around SSB International School, Indiranagar were also hopeless when I travelled there about 1-2 months ago (lots of digging work by BBMP/BWSSB but pathetic job of closing the pits).
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:46   #18732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
They are going to collect money for parking over and above the parking cess already collected on fuel.
Actually it's a great concept. The Govt can collect money to show that you have parking when you have none, Then collect Road tax when you buy the car, Tax you on petrol used and finally fine you for street parking.
This is how the RTO guys get you a PY registration by showing a false address proof from you and then later fine you for using an outstation vehicle.
In reality, our govt babus have perfected the art of burning a candle at both ends.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:20   #18733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I don't have work from home option in my job.
Have been commuting to work through JeevanBima Nagar Main Road almost everyday since April. The status of the road even today is simply horrible. Only half-width of the road is usable due to digging work. With more or less continuous rains this year since May/June, it has been a horrendous commute and there seems to be no end to this torture
That is right!. It has now been many many months now and God knows what is being done there. I have been using this road since I was in school and perfected the art of cycling there. So I am attached to that road .

The good thing is that all around the JB nagar main road, there are various connecting roads. So it is somewhat avoidable on bikes. No so for cars.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 12:30   #18734
Senior - BHPian

Any idea what this artwork is about?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20201211_124235.jpg
Old 12th December 2020, 12:59   #18735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Any idea what this artwork is about?
Marks the merging lane in the bus lane. Basically the distance up to which u can travel on the bus lane after which you need to enter the middle lane of the ORR or exit into the service road.

This makes it more visible at night rather than just using those bollards.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks