Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2021, 20:12   #18811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
However what I feel is that the violation is raised against the vehicle based on the regn number. The person who was driving the car will not be identified nor penalized.
In most of the key government departments (and BMTC, Ka.SRTC etc) they have some records of who are the drivers. For example in police stations, there is a driver 'trade' with the men coming from the A.R Camp. And they also have records on which police vehicles is allotted to which police unit. For BMTC, Ka.SRTC the details of the driver and the vehicle he is taking out is also maintained.

So if there is a good intention the fines can be pushed to the vehicle's department and from there to the possible set of drivers. But I don't think there is any great push on this.
Old 10th February 2021, 20:15   #18812
Senior - BHPian

Once a BMTC bus hit my Zen, and the driver and conductor were offering me Rs 250 from their own pockets. I refused, and told them to be careful in future. Let them go
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
BMTC's fines are recovered from the drivers' salaries. In general government does not pay PSU vehicles' dues (those are owned by the PSU in question, not the government).
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 22:40   #18813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Ok, so it was as expected. Caught in red tape.
The term for Karnataka is red wallpaper, govt departments are adorned by it, by squeezing out the blood of actual hard working tax payers. North Korea will be proud.

Tolls for inter-city travel is a brutal crime on mankind, so they give contracts to private players and tolls are fine? Next even roads repaired by private guys will attract tolls.

Traffic is slowly attaining pre-covid levels, seems the older, more pestilent viruses have resurfaced, specially the yellow and green colored ones.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 23:15   #18814
BHPian

The tin factory metro station work has finally picked up pace and is causing quite a big congestion on the old madras road and outer ring road in the direction towards KR Puram.

Got stuck in a crawling traffic all the way from Byappanahalli Metro station till the the Tin function junction today around 1PM. I can't imagine how things would have been if most of the employees of the IT companies are working from home.

Hope they complete some ground level work in the next 6months, so that once the offices and schools open, there will be some respite.
nagarjun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 16:32   #18815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Hope they complete some ground level work in the next 6months, so that once the offices and schools open, there will be some respite.
The mess will only get bigger there. The entire Tin factory area will have portal beams across the entire width of the road or in some places the entire width of one ramp of the road which means that there will be some or the other activity going on top of the road area. And at some point of time, traffic will also have to be diverted away from these portal beams until most of the civil work on the station will get over. BMRCL is planning to widen that stretch so that this will be possible. But I am not sure how smooth the flow of traffic would be. So brace yourselves, if in case the IT traffic decides to return to even half of the earlier capacity. I would expect at least a year before the civil work on the station is complete.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 17:29   #18816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
The tin factory metro station work has finally picked up pace and is causing quite a big congestion on the old madras road and outer ring road in the direction towards KR Puram...
Timely caution!

Need to visit my workplace tomorrow to clear out my desk, will take another route.
Old 11th February 2021, 18:20   #18817
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I drove from Electronic City to Yelahanka New Town via ORR. While now these distances can be reached in decent timings, I was completely scared driving from Silk board to Kr Puram. The road width is drastically reduced due to the bus lane and to make matters worse the two wheeler make it difficult to call the remaining part of road as two lane. Its too dangerous how people try to overtake and try not to hit the other vehicles that are precariously close. I kept to the right lane since I was unsure of what was going on. Probably will need new driving skills in this stretch.

KR Puram with the road intersection from ORR and NH coming in from Kolar, its insane. It took quite a while to understand what was going on.

Then onwards till Yelahanka was quite okay.

Bus lane I heard is going to be all over the ORR, and heard KRPuram to SilkBoard Metro work to begin. Means better don't drive here
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 19:06   #18818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Bus lane I heard is going to be all over the ORR, and heard KRPuram to SilkBoard Metro work to begin. Means better don't drive here
Maybe Bangalore going Amsterdam way , train and bus in middle lane, cars on service road. Will be fun when office and metro construction starts.
Old 11th February 2021, 19:57   #18819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was completely scared driving from Silk board to Kr Puram. The road width is drastically reduced due to the bus lane and to make matters worse the two wheeler make it difficult to call the remaining part of road as two lane.
100% matches my experience. It is now not wide enough for a full-sized truck + a car. So if such a truck is on the road it can be considered to be just one lane.

And since they don't block large trucks any longer (have seen multi-axle ones too), this is a problem. I've started thinking about driving on the service road to keep my car safe.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 12:47   #18820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
... I've started thinking about driving on the service road to keep my car safe.
What a nightmare!

Had to visit my workplace in Mahadevapura yesterday.

Joined ORR at Karthik Nagar junction, but even the little 2 km drive from there to the flyover (and back) was terrible, stuck behind a rickety truck hogging the carriageway (and a long trailer on return), with cars swerving dangerously to overtake from both sides (like there's even space to go 3-wide there anymore).

I'm glad I don't have to go back to commuting that stretch anytime soon.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th February 2021 at 12:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 19:40   #18821
Distinguished - BHPian

They have started digging up Yeshwantpur - Mysore road section of the ORR again for White topping. What was a clean drive now has become a mess, need to find alternate routes to get to South Bangalore now
Old 13th February 2021, 21:46   #18822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Once a BMTC bus hit my Zen, and the driver and conductor were offering me Rs 250 from their own pockets. I refused, and told them to be careful in future. Let them go
And, today, a BMTC hit me from behind.

On Kanakpura Main road, just after the NICE road junction towards Kanakpura, the roads are quite narrow due to the Metro construction. There is a BMTC ahead of me, and one behind me. A curve comes up, and the road widens just a little bit and people generally pick speed there, only to be slowed down by a speed breaker at a junction ahead.

The BMTC ahead of me is slow, and I could see a Yellow Colour Dumper/Crane in the middle of the road. The BMTC behind me decides to cross me, the Crane and the Bus ahead of me. The bus ahead of me goes to the left of the crane, I follow the bus and I know it will slow down due to the speed breaker. I can see in my rear view that the bus behind me has taken the right most part of the road to overtake the crane, and noticed that a Verna in the opposite direction braked and halted in panic, the crane swerved to the open space in the left after seeing the bus to his right, and the bus squeezed in the space between the crane and me to avoid the Verna and I could feel the slightest of touch to my right bumper.

I stop a little ahead to check on that and this same bus pulls over to where I am, and the driver apologized to me with a Namaskar gesture and admitted that he had a rush for a brief moment. I just saw the blue paint to my bumper and knew it will go off with a good buffing and I left that incident behind.

In my 55,000 KM of my Crysta, this was the first skirmish.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 07:29   #18823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
They have started digging up Yeshwantpur - Mysore road section of the ORR again for White topping. What was a clean drive now has become a mess, need to find alternate routes to get to South Bangalore now
I’m a regular on this stretch and the white topping mess was started about a month back. More than 50% of this stretch is now a single lane and the traffic is highly unpredictable. A single vehicle breakdown has the potential to bring the traffic to a grinding halt. The only positive note is that the work is on fast track this time unlike the section that was in a half finished state for multiple years near Laggere. I take Chord road these days to avoid this mess. Even though it has its own set of issue like uncompleted flyovers, it’s free of trucks and the traffic is generally free flowing.
Old 14th February 2021, 07:42   #18824
Senior - BHPian

White topping is a good solution, offering a smooth drive, as per my observation. In my area, the Lalbagh road is in tatters too. Let's be a bit patient, after all we have seen over two decades of neglect
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I’m a regular on this stretch and the white topping mess was started about a month back
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 09:21   #18825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
White topping is a good solution, offering a smooth drive, as per my observation. In my area, the Lalbagh road is in tatters too. Let's be a bit patient, after all we have seen over two decades of neglect
I wonder what they are going to do if they have to dig up the road after white topping. As far as I know, I don't think any attempts were made to move utility lines to one side. After digging up the road will they fill with cement or the usual stones (jelly and powder)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks