Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2021, 15:58   #19021
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes, I'm getting the simple embossed plates from a local shop but they don't have the ones without IND.

The letters and numbers have black stickers on them with a watermark kind of text (INDIA) running diagonally, I've asked him to avoid that and just make it fully black.

Couple years ago I got similar ones from Movell for my Dzire car.
How much are they asking for the plates? Are they of good enough quality to be used as is? Or would we have to use frames too?

Last time I enquired at a local shop, all the plates were the ones with the blue stripe ( I guess it's a spoof of the EU design) or ones with some sort of German color scheme. Didn't want to give another excuse to the cops here, so let it go.

Some of these plates are done by cutting the stickers as per the numbers and alphabets and then pasting them onto the embossed characters...the sticker tends to peel off from the edges of the characters after some time.

I have heard it's better to paste an entire sheet on top of the plate and then cut it as per the characters, that would last longer. Not sure if this actually works in real life but maybe something you can check and insist on.
Old 22nd August 2021, 18:23   #19022
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
How much are they asking for the plates? Are they of good enough quality to be used as is? Or would we have to use frames too?
I paid Rs.500 (without frames), quality is decent and as good as Movell's that are quite popular with Bhpians. I had ordered a set from Movell couple years ago for my Dzire car. Those came with the black frames as well. This time I did not get the frames for the scooter. Price is a bit steep compared to online prices but wanted them quickly and did not want to share the Registration certificate copy that the online dealers were asking for.

Posted a picture on my Aviator ownership thread here (Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White))
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:33   #19023
BHPian

What about the good old plastic white number plates? Are they not supposed to be used? Car dealers fit those with new cars (unless you buy the embossed ones specifically) and I have been using that on my old car for 7 years and in my current car for more than 3 years with no issues (maybe I drive less and therefore chances of getting noticed is less)

Dont want to post back to back - So question to those who frequent ORR -

I am planning to go to Bagmane World technology park in Mahadevapura coming Monday (30th) for an appointment at 4:30. I live beyond Hennur. What time should I start? And more importantly, how should I return? I was thinking go a little ahead to Goushala road and join the ITPL main road (a little ahead of Phoenix Market City) to come back to ORR towards Hennur side. Would that be best (with all the bus lanes and restrictions on U-turns on ORR) or is there a better alternative?
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:16   #19024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I am planning to go to Bagmane World technology park in Mahadevapura coming Monday (30th) for an appointment at 4:30. I live beyond Hennur. What time should I start? And more importantly, how should I return? I was thinking go a little ahead to Goushala road and join the ITPL main road (a little ahead of Phoenix Market City) to come back to ORR towards Hennur side. Would that be best (with all the bus lanes and restrictions on U-turns on ORR) or is there a better alternative?
Just stick to the Ring Road.

While going remember to stay to the left when you turn off at Tin Factory so you don't inadvertently head off towards Kolar (KR puram hanging bridge should be to your right. Once you go under the hanging bridge stick to your right, go over a couple of flyovers and you should be at Bagamane.

On your return you should easily be able to take a U turn under the bridge at Bagamane, go over one flyover stick to the left and head back towards Bangalore (turning right after the flyover and at Trident Hyundai will take you towards Whitefield). Just follow the traffic, but remember to stay in the right lane post the down ramp of the above mentioned hanging bridge. Take the flyover which curves to the right and you have a straight road all the way to Hebbal.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:20   #19025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What about the good old plastic white number plates?
Plastic plates were not legal earlier too, based on the font of the plate or the mood of traffic police one used to get fined for the same. Had faced the same in AP too, when there in KL vehicle with plastic plates.

However, I have not found anywhere it being mentioned that plastic plates are not allowed. However, I have not found any document mentioning that plastic is not allowed.

Quote:
I am planning to go to Bagmane World technology park in Mahadevapura
I suppose this is the one on ORR, if so, you can take ORR for both the direction. For return, you need to go further towards Marathahalli side on service road and take a U turn below the flyover and head towards KR puram. I suppose planning with around an hour drive time will be safer bet.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 18:13   #19026
BHPian

Thank you keroo1099 and mpksuhas. I am familiar with the route. I use to work in ecospace and now in ITPL Main road. But thanks anyway. My question rather was with the new bus lanes and things, have things changed - like U-turns and diversions around the Mahadevapura area. I guess they have not changed, from both your comments. Thank you both!
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:12   #19027
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What about the good old plastic white number plates? Are they not supposed to be used? Car dealers fit those with new cars (unless you buy the embossed ones specifically) and I have been using that on my old car for 7 years and in my current car for more than 3 years with no issues (maybe I drive less and therefore chances of getting noticed is less)
These plastic plates aren't good as per traffic cops and are being targeted. Don't know how long before HSRP is mandated for older vehicles but for now it may be a good idea to get simple aluminium embossed plates.
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:34   #19028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My question rather was with the new bus lanes !
No, that is not an issue. You just need to lookout for exit to service lane.

Also, on seperate note.

Saw some updates on resident groups that Iblur to Marathahalli metro work is going to start soon and hence they are merging cycle / service and bus lanes. So in short, there ends bus lane implementation.

Details here

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20210823wa0014.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:59   #19029
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ On a related note, I noticed last week that when we exit Bellandur main road (when going from Yemalur side to outer ring road), the right turn into 'middle' lane of ORR that then merges onto the main carriageway towards Sarjapur/Silk board is blocked for metro work.

So, we now have to turn right onto the other service road and continue straight to go towards Sarjapur/Columbia Asia junction) or merge back onto ORR after Akme Harmony apartment for HSR/Silk board.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd August 2021 at 22:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:15   #19030
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you keroo1099 and mpksuhas. I am familiar with the route. I use to work in ecospace and now in ITPL Main road. But thanks anyway. My question rather was with the new bus lanes and things, have things changed - like U-turns and diversions around the Mahadevapura area. I guess they have not changed, from both your comments. Thank you both!
Bagmane is located right before the Doddanekundi flyover under which you can take the u turn to go back towards the KR puram side. So you will face no issues.
For the entry once you cross the Mahadevpura flyover there are multiple exits into the service road so again you will face no issues.

The issues with service roads and u turns are more on the opposite side.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:32   #19031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
... Iblur to Marathahalli metro work is going to start soon and hence they are merging cycle / service and bus lanes. So in short, there ends bus lane implementation.
Was shocked to see this development on ring road while passing through yesterday. There is only one lane, barring bus lane at some places where pillar piling is going on.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20210822_180940.jpg

Cannot imagine the situation if this happens while the city is on full swing. The only instance where I wish the WFH to continue.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:51   #19032
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Was shocked to see this development on ring road while passing through yesterday. There is only one lane, barring bus lane at some places where pillar piling is going on.
Noticed a similar situation between HSR layout 27th main and Sarjapur road junction near Iblur where one lane is cut off before the signal. Very soon this is going to create long lines of stop and go traffic.

Going by traffic I'm seeing near Bagmane Tech Park, C V Raman Nagar, looks like some firms have opened up and there's much more traffic now ?
Don't know about other tech parks along the outer ring road.
Old 24th August 2021, 07:02   #19033
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Saw some updates on resident groups that Iblur to Marathahalli metro work is going to start soon and hence they are merging cycle / service and bus lanes.
Where does it say that bus lane and cycle/service lane are going to be merged ? Doesn't it just say - "hey, we have bus lanes and cycle lanes, so either go in a bus or cycle to work. If you can't do it, WFH and ask your company to ensure you WFH until Dec2022"
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 08:38   #19034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Saw some updates on resident groups that Iblur to Marathahalli metro work is going to start soon
The circular says metro work is expected to take "1.5-2 years". Hilarious! Who are they trying to fool?! Has anything related to the metro construction ever completed that early?! Even extensions in the outskirts to already existing lines have missed multiple deadlines. And this is a brand new line along a traffic nightmare. More like 5-7 years minimum! (It will be awesome once it's completed, but till then...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Doesn't it just say - "hey, we have bus lanes and cycle lanes, so either go in a bus or cycle to work. If you can't do it, WFH and ask your company to ensure you WFH until Dec2022"
Yep, that was my reading too.

Didn't the highly paid facilities and HR people of the companies on that stretch of the ORR anticipate this situation? Horrible ORR traffic has been a given for years. That the Metro work was going to start was announced years ago. What happens to roads during metro construction and for how long is again not a secret to anyone who has been in Bangalore for the past 10 years. Covid was a golden opportunity to shut physical offices on the ORR and get out before metro work begins. Companies who continued to pay rents and are waiting to reopen in-person next year are going to see the already wonderful commute there get even better! (Hope the in-person micromanagement is worth it since the micromanagers are also going to be stuck in that same traffic!)

Last edited by am1m : 24th August 2021 at 08:55.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 09:12   #19035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The circular says metro work is expected to take "1.5-2 years". Hilarious! Who are they trying to fool?! Has anything related to the metro construction ever completed that early?! ...
It indeed won't take too long, I expect about 2-3 years, bcoz they'll restore the medians and remove barricades as soon as via pillars are completed and U-girders are placed. It may well take 4-5 years for metro to become operational (bcoz stn construction takes time), but median restoration will take max 3 years. That's what they're trying to say.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks