Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2021, 11:59   #19186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Encountered an amazing amount of traffic today on the Yelahanka - Jalahalli - Tumkur Road stretch this morning. Rain combined with damaged roads, schools opened with their buses plus parents desperate to drop off their kids on time. People riding/driving like crazy now that they have survived COVID-19.

Please budget extra time during school drop/pick-up slots.
We got a tip off from a friend who was stuck between BEL circle and the Jalahalli ROB regarding this congestion in the nick of time. So took a 'U' turn after BEL circle underpass and went via HMT to join Gorguntepalaya junction.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 12:58   #19187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
We got a tip off from a friend ...
Usually, I keep monitoring Maps enroute. Just today I did not and got royally stuck.

Not too many alternative roads either. Maps was trying to funnel me down a smaller road where multiple yellow-boards were trying to get into. Chose not to by going for the known devil rather than an unknown angel.
Old 8th November 2021, 13:24   #19188
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
We got a tip off from a friend who was stuck between BEL circle and the Jalahalli ROB regarding this congestion in the nick of time. So took a 'U' turn after BEL circle underpass and went via HMT to join Gorguntepalaya junction.
I was a part of this traffic today
Usually I would leave my kid to school on a 2 wheeler but since it was slightly raining, I took my car.

Since I live nearby, you would find me taking that U-turn before the BEL underpass and go back towards MES Road (as there is no break in divider until the MES Road flyover). And the 'U' turn you are talking about (towards HMT) is somewhat tricky, as it cuts across 2-3 lane traffic on one side of the main road. Its a nightmare on a busy traffic. On a few occasions traffic police tried to block that U-turn, but it was unsuccessful. I think its still not illegal to do a U-turn towards HMT, I don't find a 'no U-turn signboard'.
Old 8th November 2021, 13:38   #19189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
And the 'U' turn you are talking about (towards HMT) is somewhat tricky, as it cuts across 2-3 lane traffic on one side of the main road. Its a nightmare on a busy traffic. On a few occasions traffic police tried to block that U-turn, but it was unsuccessful. I think its still not illegal to do a U-turn towards HMT, I don't find a 'no U-turn signboard'.
as you said they did attempt a few times to close this U turn as it was causing pileup on the main carriageway towards the BEL underpass. But each of these attempts lasted only 1 or 2 days and the previous state was restored for reasons clear only to them.

I suspect it was because the closure of this U turn meant to go towards HMT from Hebbal, one had to go over the ground level before the underpass starts, and cross 2 signals - Kuvempu new bel road circle and BEL circle creating additional pressure on those signals.

The worst part about this point is when there is no policeman manning there many vehicles including TTs take the wrong side of the ORR towards pipeline road instead of taking a U turn towards BEL circle. I have posted many photos on BTP public eye portal showing this, but only ONE incident , a violation has been raised.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th November 2021 at 19:41. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 9th November 2021, 19:50   #19190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hope you made it out of the flooded section safely ?
Yes, water receded after about 45 mins and I was able to reach home safely. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Once I saw an Alto parked on a footpath. When its front wheels passed over, the concrete slab broke. Now the car was stuck in that position with a broken slab between its front and rear wheels.
Even if trying to save the car from water logging, please be mindful about the strength of the concrete slabs.
Thanks for the suggestion. The footpath I managed to climb seemed like one of those 'TenderSure' type and there was a ramp to climb over it leading to a shop. If not for the ramp, my car wouldnt have managed to clear such a height. I agree that its risky to park a car if the footpath is paved using stones (I dont know what they are called in English) or flimsy concrete slabs.
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 10:09   #19191
Senior - BHPian

Requesting for some suggestions on parking near Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bommasandra. Need to visit a friend who is undergoing treatment there but currently staying at a nearby accommodation, where car parking is not available. Is there any pay and park facility nearby. NH's paid parking seems to be in bad shape during rain as seen in Google review photos.
Old 14th November 2021, 12:24   #19192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Requesting for some suggestions on parking near Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bommasandra. Need to visit a friend who is undergoing treatment there but currently staying at a nearby accommodation, where car parking is not available. Is there any pay and park facility nearby. NH's paid parking seems to be in bad shape during rain as seen in Google review photos.
Try parking at AAB (Adyar Ananda Bhavan) that's close by. They have a separate parking lot for their customers at the back of the building - I don't know if you can pay just for parking, you may have to talk to the manager (he/she may oblige for off peak times.) Otherwise park on the road in front of the AAB and pay the security guy to watch your car.

Another possibility - Decathlon parking lot. I am assuming you don't mind paying for an auto to get to NH.

I don't think there are any paid parking lots in the area. We used to park under the Chandapura flyover and take the Volvo to/from the city pre-covid-19. Due to the rains, this option seems even uglier than ever.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 19:33   #19193
Senior - BHPian

Cameras fixed on Bellary road below the elevated highway, right before the Bytarayanapura signal! There is one set of cameras on either side of the road, pointing in both directions.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cam2.jpeg

A close up of the camera:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cam1.jpeg
The purple color in the image is actually red! for some strange reason, my phone camera captured it as purple.

Does anyone have any idea what these are for? Speed violation or Red light Violation?
sandsun7 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 19:37   #19194
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an airport run tonight around midnight. Given the rains we have been receiving today, what/where should I be cautious?

Route: Bellandur to airport and back, via ORR.
Old 18th November 2021, 19:45   #19195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Given the rains we have been receiving today, what/where should I be cautious?
Near the medians all along the ORR and on the first lane at most of the sections on ORR where white-topping has been completed.

I noticed that most 2 wheelers suddenly switching from Lane 1 to 2 due to a lot of waterlogging couple of weeks before when I drove on the ORR. This was between KR Puram and Hebbal where there is no bus lane anyway.

The Airport road elevated section itself is a place where I will stay away from the median as water logging can be expected.

Other than that, nothing much.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th November 2021 at 20:12. Reason: here--> there
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 20:03   #19196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...what/where should I be cautious?
Please avoid the outermost lane on the elevated expressway. Had a late night run yesterday and noticed plenty of broken down vehicles stationary with absolutely no indication, and it's a huge risk (esp. with spray from adjacent vehicles reducing visibility) on some of the badly lit sections, esp. the city-bound side.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 20:21   #19197
BHPian

Quote:
Cameras fixed on Bellary road below the elevated highway, right before the Bytarayanapura signal! There is one set of cameras on either side of the road, pointing in both directions.

The purple color in the image is actually red! for some strange reason, my phone camera captured it as purple.

Does anyone have any idea what these are for? Speed violation or Red light Violation?
These could be either speed traps or red light cameras, seeing that they are using Infrared sensors. IR sensors are typically used for reading number plates are night or in low light situations. The reason I say these are IR sensors is because of the purple glow you captured.

The reason why the light appears purple - that's a common occurrence with most digital camera. Most phone cameras are designed for certain spectrum of light. When Infrared Light falls on the sensor, it absorbs most red light along with parts of blue and green. This makes the light appear purple in photos/videos. There might also be a red LED along with the IR sensors to indicate camera being active, and that's why you'd have seen the red light by naked eye.
You can also test this out - almost all conventional TV remotes work with IR sensors. Point your phone camera at the top of the remote (where you see a small bulb) and press any button. You'll see the bulb flash purple.
GrandTourer is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 20:48   #19198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Please avoid the outermost lane on the elevated expressway. Had a late night run yesterday and noticed plenty of broken down vehicles stationary with absolutely no indication, and it's a huge risk (esp. with spray from adjacent vehicles reducing visibility) on some of the badly lit sections, esp. the city-bound side.
Outermost lane? You mean leftmost/slowest lane? It'd be better if you use the latter terminology, that's the standard.

Which road are you referring to? BIAL? Or SB-ECity?
Old 18th November 2021, 21:07   #19199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Outermost lane? You mean leftmost/slowest lane? It'd be better if you use the latter terminology, that's the standard.

Which road are you referring to? BIAL? Or SB-ECity?
Yes, meant the far left lane on the BIAL expressway, in context of the question.

Probably a good idea everywhere at night though, because not many use the hazard lamps or warning triangles appropriately.

Yesterday night, an Innova trying to overtake me from the left (I was in the middle lane) nearly crashed into a stationary truck, and the Innova panic braked and nearly swung into me. I'd noticed the stationary truck (and this moron), and had braked to make space for him to merge.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 21:32   #19200
BHPian

Quote:
I have an airport run tonight around midnight. Given the rains we have been receiving today, what/where should I be cautious?

Route: Bellandur to airport and back, via ORR.
In case you havent driven on this stretch in the last month or so, you should know that the ORR from Bellandur to KR Puram is in tatters with deep potholes that will eat up your tyres fairly easily and you must go dead slow or swerve if you dont want your underbody to get hit.

Add to it the bus lane and its random entries/exits, the bollards and barriers jutting out into the middle lane, the crazy rumblers and the metro construction on the right lane, this stretch is not safe for cars at the moment.
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks