Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:11   #19246
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The roads were dry in many stretches and no water-logging even at the usual spots.
True, though I was on a different part of the city.
But this time on a stretch of 10 km, it had rained only in 2 places, all other roads were dry. The heavy downpour seems to have been in scattered places.
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:12   #19247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The roads were dry in many stretches and no water-logging even at the usual spots. I got some rains Yelahanka onwards till Devanahalli and again on the return leg too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
True, though I was on a different part of the city.
But this time on a stretch of 10 km, it had rained only in 2 places, all other roads were dry. The heavy downpour seems to have been in scattered places.
As per data, Yelahanka received the highest rain among other places in Karnataka on yesterday (blue).
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.jpg
This is confirmed even by the news reports in Deccan Herald today.

So I guess on yesterday, I was on a rain-catching daredevilry when I decided that I need to drive home .
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:15   #19248
Team-BHP Support

I was on Mysore Road on a scooter in the downpour. Got suckered in by clear weather in the afternoon to get some pending chores done.

The sheer inconsideration of people, on everything from 2 wheels to 18.

I haven't been side-swiped, brake checked, run off the road into flooded craters and twice nudged intentionally because I was holding someone up in their swanky car, all in a single ride of less than 10 km.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:59   #19249
Senior - BHPian

So Parag, you essentially spent as much time trying to get home after entering the city, as much as you might have spent from Hassan.

I can imagine how stressful it would have been. It just rained and rained and rained that night.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 18:09   #19250
BHPian

I stay near the Big Bazaar close to Hebbal, the rains started at 6:30 PM and the pace just kept on increasing until 8 - 8:30 PM, we just ventured out and the roads were inundated, this was the first instance I could think of in maybe 10 years before the compound wall was built for the big sewer line which runs through the city.

The RWH system filled up my sump of 8000 ltrs, TWICE!!
Old 22nd November 2021, 18:21   #19251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
So Parag, you essentially spent as much time trying to get home after entering the city, as much as you might have spent from Hassan.
Not really because of this:

Nelamangala to Seshadripuram took 90 minutes only:
  • Started from Shikaripura at 1400
  • Crossed into NBTL Toll, Nelamangala at 1855
  • Encountered first Jam at 1902 near Makali, and with the rest of the jams ahead, I was below Yeshwantpur Circle at 2011 - Despite of jams, It was less than 1 hour from Makali to Yeshwantpur which was quick to be honest
  • Reached Sesdahripuram at 2030

Seshadripuram to Yelahanka (Doddaballapura Road) took 75 minutes:
  • Started back from Sesdahripuram post dinner at 2144
  • Encountered first Jam at Yelahanka exit at 2010
  • Reached home at 2300

Quote:
I can imagine how stressful it would have been. It just rained and rained and rained that night.
Absolutely. I had called wife to say I will be home for dinner. Next I called to say I'm stuck and I will now have dinner and come home due to uncertain traffic. When I was done with dinner and started at 10pm, I was thinking everything will be smooth and I will be home in 20 minutes but then I called multiple times after this each time I made unsuccessful attempts to get into Yelahanka.

This was when I got stuck at the exit and maps suggested me still to take the service lane exit which I didn't fearing the worst. Since I cycle a lot around these area, I had Plan B and Plan C in mind and Plan C finally worked out.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-maps.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-traffic.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 22:43   #19252
BHPian

Bangalore traffic finds honourable mention in leh to kanyakumari record attempt of 56hrs. (Time stamp 8:20)

Last edited by SideView : 22nd November 2021 at 22:44. Reason: Time added
SideView is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:39   #19253
Distinguished - BHPian

NHAI to fix metal barriers on the median and sides of KIAL highway (Bellary Road). Much needed

I am always in fear of aquaplaning vehicles coming over from the other side.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/87855728.cms
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:59   #19254
BHPian

Not sure what quality metal barriers are they going to install. BBMP recently installed some flimsy ones on the ORR between Horamavu and Hebbal and they are already bent and broken.

I am not able to understand on why traffic police is not enforcing the speed limit on this stretch. The situation was much better earlier and lot of discipline was there. Now I look like an idiot when I stick to 80Kmph and other cars zip past me while honking at me to move.
nagarjun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:43   #19255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Not sure what quality metal barriers are they going to install. BBMP recently installed some flimsy ones on the ORR between Horamavu and Hebbal and they are already bent and broken.

I am not able to understand on why traffic police is not enforcing the speed limit on this stretch. The situation was much better earlier and lot of discipline was there. Now I look like an idiot when I stick to 80Kmph and other cars zip past me while honking at me to move.
I thought speed limit on ORR was about 40 or 50 kmph (ridiculous, I know!). Are you sure about doing 80kmph? And others are going even faster than you?
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:44   #19256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
NHAI to fix metal barriers on the median and sides of KIAL highway (Bellary Road). Much needed

I am always in fear of aquaplaning vehicles coming over from the other side.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/87855728.cms
Median crash barriers to be installed. Whew, finally some sense prevailed!

This should be the standard template on *all* highways and high-speed corridors.
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:48   #19257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post

The very design of ARMCO metalic crash barriers (double bent) makes them effective. Even if it looks flimsy (which BTW it isn't), it greatly helps in reducing speeds and serves it's purpose to a great extent.

Crossing of median may happen for many reasons: Driver fault, tyre bursts, an unexpected cattle straying in, a signpost/billboard falling on carriageway, etc. All these have happened very many times on our hwys. And these are all cases that can cause one to lose control and careen wildly. With median crash barriers, the careening vehicle is largely constrained to remain within its carriageway.

If the careening vehicle crosses over the median, that almost always results in major fatalities, amply seen in several studies.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:55   #19258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I thought speed limit on ORR was about 40 or 50 kmph (ridiculous, I know!). Are you sure about doing 80kmph? And others are going even faster than you?
I think he meant the airport elevated expressway which has a 80kmph limit.

One feels like one's crawling compared to others zipping by, and it's often dangerous to be at a slower relative speed in traffic, even if you're the one doing legal speeds.

They really ought to install some of those automated ticketing cameras on the elevated section too, instead of risking human personnel trying to flag down speeding cars.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 16:18   #19259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I thought speed limit on ORR was about 40 or 50 kmph
Speed limit for LMV in Bangalore:
Roads with 4 or more lanes with divided carriageway like ORR is 80 kmph.
In other city roads is 60 kmph.
Source: https://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in/faqs.html
See section "Speed Limit"
Old 23rd November 2021, 19:50   #19260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Speed limit for LMV in Bangalore:
Roads with 4 or more lanes with divided carriageway like ORR is 80 kmph.
In other city roads is 60 kmph.
Source: https://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in/faqs.html
See section "Speed Limit"
Speed limit is what is posted on the round boards hidden behind the bushes. As posted by srvm, it is indeed 40 kmh in most sections, especially the open sections after bottlenecks. This is designed to catch offenders off guard.

Also I was stopped today at Hebbal for IND high security number plate for my 13 year old car. And let off with a warning. How does one go about procuring it? I understand RTOs are not yet issuing for older cars. If I can apply for one then I can show the receipt as proof.

Don't really want to buy another board with fake IND stickers just to dump it when official ones are available. Imagine the waste and damage to the environment.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks