Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2022, 18:53   #19381
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Not a rant, just an update.

Bhaskaran Road, between Ulsoor Gurudwara and RMZ Millenia, was partially closed for the past few months because of white-topping. Presently the work is completed and traffic is allowed in both directions.
adisan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 22:17   #19382
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

BBMP logic works like the brains of narcissists from the entertainment industry - perfectly good looking people going for botox/skin-enhancement/bone-chiselling etc etc ; because even if it's functioning normally, 'something has to change'. Just the material is different - smooth tar getting replaced by rough cement v/s human skin getting replaced by rubber/silicone/plastic. Vehicles losing their ride-quality v/s people losing their human face that used to genuinely smile

Last edited by venkyhere : 5th January 2022 at 22:20.
venkyhere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 13:48   #19383
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Bhaskaran Road, between Ulsoor Gurudwara and RMZ Millenia, was partially closed for the past few months because of white-topping. Presently the work is completed and traffic is allowed in both directions.
I think the white topping work has been completed only in the Gurudwara-RMZ Millennia direction, and yes traffic is allowed in both directions now, but I'm guessing it won't be long before they close the other side to do the white topping work
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 14:07   #19384
Distinguished - BHPian

Karnataka government moots Rs 244 crore integrated flyover at Hebbal

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/88742100.cms

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/88741499.cms

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...n-1068601.html

2 x 2 lane parallel new flyovers on each side
+
Demolition of 2 of the 3 existing loops
+
An altogether new loop
+
An underpass below

Hopefully in my lifetime.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th January 2022 at 16:38. Reason: As requested
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 14:38   #19385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Karnataka government moots Rs 244 crore integrated flyover at Hebbal
This city is permanently 'under construction'. One part of me is thinking it is necessary, it's a good thing that infrastructure is being upgraded. But mostly I can't help wondering:

*Is this the way most cities in the world handle infra upgrades?
*Is the idea basically to keep floating projects to loot public money?
*When will we reach a stable point?
*Can't these funds be diverted to the Metro and finish that instead as soon as possible/extend that as far as possible?

These thoughts come up because I see the terrible way in which these new projects get executed, how long they take, how much suffering present road users go through while they are being done, how every part of the city is dug up at the same time for years and especially when each new project requires digging up/demolishing already existing infra that has also been built at public cost and inconvenience.

When does it end?!

Last edited by am1m : 7th January 2022 at 14:40.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:08   #19386
BHPian

Today I had been to Bannerghata road (I have to add after more than 15 years of not venturing that side) and my goodness, how much can a city change!
But that's not what I wanted to say. On the way back, via BTM, Hosur road, MG Road, commercial street, Fraser town, Lingarajapuram, Hennur etc, there were Bangalore traffic police almost in every major intersection and flagging down two and four wheelers like there was no tomorrow. Near MG road, I could see there were atleast 6 cars stopped and equal or more number of two wheelers stopped.
I wonder what is special today? Have they not met their quota?
And relatively less traffic. Is it because of the weekend curfew? I dreaded my drive through this route but it wasnt bad at all 0 one way completed in just about an hour (~26 kms one way)

Last edited by gtonsing : 7th January 2022 at 16:10. Reason: added sentences and corrected spellings
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 21:08   #19387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think the white topping work has been completed only in the Gurudwara-RMZ Millennia direction,
White topping is done for both sides.

First the RMZ Millenia to Gurudwara was done. Once it was ready, traffic in that direction was routed through this side, while the other side work got done. Now that both sides are done, traffic is allowed in both directions.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 21:36   #19388
BHPian

Quote:

First the RMZ Millenia to Gurudwara was done. Once it was ready, traffic in that direction was routed through this side, while the other side work got done. Now that both sides are done, traffic is allowed in both directions.
Its not done from RMZ to the Gurudwara. That's probably the next 'butchering' waiting to happen.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 13:16   #19389
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Headed out an hour ago for my daughter's vaccination appointment in Indiranagar. As expected, traffic was lean and after the signal on old Madras road-100 feet road junction there were barricades and cops had stopped a car (just outside Indiranagar police station). I was at crawling speed and thought I will be let go but they stopped me despite saying it's for a vaccination, the constable asked for my Drivers license and after seeing it muttered why did "they" have to schedule this for today. I told him she just qualified for the vaccine this week and hence it was scheduled today. He then waved me off.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 15:10   #19390
BHPian

The stretch of NH7 from Huskur gate to Attibele is a disaster waiting to happen, with the fast lane encroached on both sides by concrete walls. The walls reduce the width enough for trucks to avoid, who dangerously course-correct to come to the middle lane. As if this was not enough, there are also some rods protruding at places perpendicular to the wall, so one needs to be extremely careful. Adding to that is BMTC buses stopping on the left lane before/ after flyovers, so effectively just 1 lane is safe at places.

What is otherwise a fast stretch can throw sudden surprises because of this, especially at night. Best is to avoid the fast lane in either direction.

Hope some NHAI officials take notice and fix it before there is an accident.

What is the purpose of the space being carved out in the middle anyway? It does not continue on flyovers. What can be the new requirement over earlier iron barriers that served purpose of median just fine?
mayukh42 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 07:33   #19391
BHPian

I have to drive to airport to drop a family member this Sunday, is it allowed? What documents do I need to not be stopped?
Old 12th January 2022, 08:26   #19392
BHPian

I have to pick up a family friend from Hassan this Sunday for her train in the evening from Bangalore. My driver would be driving from mBangalore to Hassan to pick her up and back. Do I need any documents other than train tickets? Thanks in advance.
Old 12th January 2022, 08:45   #19393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I have to pick up a family friend from Hassan this Sunday for her train in the evening from Bangalore. My driver would be driving from mBangalore to Hassan to pick her up and back. Do I need any documents other than train tickets? Thanks in advance.
Sunday is weekend curfew. So any travel as such will require proof. Hence, please carry proof of train travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
I have to drive to airport to drop a family member this Sunday, is it allowed? What documents do I need to not be stopped?
Likewise, carry proof of flight booking and you will be allowed to travel.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 13:13   #19394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
The stretch of NH7 from Huskur gate to Attibele is a disaster waiting to happen, with the fast lane encroached on both sides by concrete walls. The walls reduce the width enough for trucks to avoid, who dangerously course-correct to come to the middle lane. As if this was not enough, there are also some rods protruding at places perpendicular to the wall, so one needs to be extremely careful. Adding to that is BMTC buses stopping on the left lane before/ after flyovers, so effectively just 1 lane is safe at places.

What is otherwise a fast stretch can throw sudden surprises because of this, especially at night. Best is to avoid the fast lane in either direction.

Hope some NHAI officials take notice and fix it before there is an accident.

What is the purpose of the space being carved out in the middle anyway? It does not continue on flyovers. What can be the new requirement over earlier iron barriers that served purpose of median just fine?
True this. Used to be quite a nice bit of road to drive on a couple of years back. The barriers in between have reduced a 3 lane (either side) to effectively a single lane road with buses stopping in the left lane and dangerous rods protruding out in the fast lane.
On a separate note, has anybody also noticed the speed of the truckers on this bit of road? Specially the empty diggers. I have clocked a few going in excess of 80kmph on a road with a 60kmph speed limit. A dangerous swerve is all it may take to bring this highway to a complete standstill.
ShreyG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 20:53   #19395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think the white topping work has been completed only in the Gurudwara-RMZ Millennia direction
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Its not done from RMZ to the Gurudwara.
My bad. I was wrong about the below:

Quote:

Most Viewed