Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2022, 13:25   #19456
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Study shows that Bangalore traffic jams decreased in 2021 (The News Minute report)

Quote:
Traffic in Bengaluru was 49% less congested during the morning rush hour and 37% in the evening as compared to pre-COVID-19 levels, according to the 11th TomTom Traffic Index report.
Old 10th February 2022, 14:06   #19457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Study shows that Bangalore traffic jams decreased in 2021[/url] (The News Minute report)
I doubt there were even enough people in Bangalore (compared to pre-covid levels) in 2021. We have our own home here and even then we were at our native place for the entire 2021. A number of our friends haven't returned even now!
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 13:22   #19458
BHPian

Had read a news article yesterday about reduced congestion in Bangalore as against pre-COVID levels. I had an open Friday afternoon and for some reason, went for a joy ride. Route image below.
Name:  Route.png
Views: 540
Size:  185.1 KB
Even when I searched this, it shows all blue (which used to be a rare sighting even in the afternoons). However, if observed keenly, you will notice a couple of red patches I added manually.
Now, the traffic in Domlur is understandable owing to the white topping of the inner ring road. The traffic on the HAL road is a different story altogether though. Took me about 7-10 mins to cross the signal at the UR Rao Satellite center on an otherwise peaceful Friday afternoon. Reason being that the traffic cops had covered one lane (of a 2 lane road) causing the BMTCs and tippers to merge into the right lane. Hence the huge hold up
Although the cause maybe noble (), it does put into purview the actual purpose BTP serve. The only vehicles standing were 2 non KA 4-wheelers and a commercial pick up.

Couple of interesting observations -
  • The bollards on the ORR are now totally defunct as private buses and tippers merrily tread over them, jumping between lanes
  • Red light rules do not apply to middle aged uncles on Activas. I was actually honked at on the Ejipura singal (was right in front) to give way because a helmetless, 40 something primate wished to risk his life to save maybe 40 seconds
ShreyG is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 08:51   #19459
BHPian

Towing | GoK caught with it's pants down thanks to an RTI

Came across this interesting video & I'm taking it at it's face value, have not done any background checks. It's in kannada but like most locals in this city, there's a LOT of English used, so should be reasonably easy for all to follow.

Via RTI, this man 1st inquired of the number of towing vehicles in service, their reg numbers etc. He received a response. In the 2nd, he sought details of the permission given by the RTO to make mods to them. The big pulley installed at it's back and the # of people permitted to be on the vehicle. As per him, the 2nd RTI did the trick and GoK had to discontinue it's towing mechanism and go back to the drawing board.

If this is true, then

Last edited by vinu_h : 14th February 2022 at 08:54. Reason: House keeping
vinu_h is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 20:15   #19460
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is just another BMTC bus running over the bus lane bollards on ORR near silk board. I want to bring all those who lobby for such implementations and make them watch these videos of public money going down the drain so easily all day and make them realise their misdeeds.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 22:12   #19461
Distinguished - BHPian

Hearing a news that the elevated road on the Tumkur road side between Yeshwantpur and 8th mile is a goner, and needs to be RE-Constructed if transport/ heavy vehicles need to be using it ! If this is the case, it's going to be a big big problem for quite some time.

IISc has been asked to check if the elevated road can at least take the load of LMV's and other light vehicles.

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th February 2022 at 09:11. Reason: As requested
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 22:37   #19462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Here is just another BMTC bus running over the bus lane bollards on ORR near silk board. I want to bring all those who lobby for such implementations and make them watch these videos of public money going down the drain so easily all day and make them realise their misdeeds.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Vs0nrBrqMlA
Very common on this exact stretch. They know the bollards break or bend so swing in and out freely mowing them down. They are using it as an advantage. If bus lane has a block break through to main and then break back into bus lane when the regular lane is slow.

This bus lane needs to be abolished. It's more chaos with metro and was already horrible before.

It's clear someone at BMTC and BBMP has devised this to pocket money by saving fuel money on bus lane at the cost of all motorists.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 22:50   #19463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hearing a news the the elevated road on the Tumkur road side between YEshwantpur and 8th mile is a goner, and needs to be RE-Constructed if transport/heavy vehicles need to be using it ! If this is the case, it's going to be a big big problem for quite some time. IISc has been asked to check if the elevated road can take the load of LMV's and other light vehicles.
Really? If this is true then someone just smelt an opportunity to make themselves a few crores richer by eating into a new tender opportunity and floating this theory that the flyover can't be reused and has to be completely rebuilt.

But from the limited knowledge I have, if the issue is cable failure, it should be possible to fix that by restressing the segments together. No need to completely reconstruct the flyover. Or in case the learned folks at IISC could certify the flyover safe for light vehicles, then just put a height barrier and let the cars enjoy the flyover at least. Hope that's how it goes. And I believe whatever work that has been done so far is the same, ie to replace the faulty cables. Maybe that's the case with the entire flyover.

Unfortunate for the flyover, since perhaps it wasn't designed for overloaded trucks, stationary traffic and more traffic than estimated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's clear someone at BMTC and BBMP has devised this to pocket money by saving fuel money on bus lane at the cost of all motorists.
At least like I mentioned a few pages ago, the contractor got richer. And yes the bus lane is more or less abolished in this stretch and I am using it where allowed and having some fun flying past the rest of the vehicles stuck on the other lane behind a slow moving vehicle. People are stop confused where it can be used and where it cannot.

Last edited by audioholic : 15th February 2022 at 22:54.
Old 16th February 2022, 07:49   #19464
Distinguished - BHPian

And for those of us who go to Manyata, or even pass by Manyata - there is a small relief. The flyover connecting ORR to Manyata entry/exit is ready - and said to be opened. Will help both reduce the bottle-neck in that 1 km stretch by making ORR entry/exit easier.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...s-1082008.html

Name:  MTP flyover.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  66.5 KB
condor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 08:55   #19465
Senior - BHPian

Re: Towing | GoK caught with it's pants down thanks to an RTI

He also asked a very pertinent question "How much revenue does the Govt get from towing?" My answer is ZERO since I've seen all the vehicles 'settling' dues with the tow boys. The fines are just too much for someone to pay (Maybe designed to be that high, purposely). There was a time people happily paid the Rs 100 fine and proudly asked for receipt. Our coffers got fat back then
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Via RTI, this man 1st inquired of the number of towing vehicles in service, their reg numbers etc. He received a response. In the 2nd, he sought details of the permission given by the RTO to make mods to them.
Old 16th February 2022, 09:18   #19466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The flyover connecting ORR to Manyata entry/exit is ready - and said to be opened.
That's great news! Am sure they would have taken it into account, but hope they have planned for the Metro construction as well. Would be tragic if a Jayadeva flyover type situation arises when the airport metro works reaches that section. But I'm guessing that the two alignments will run in parallel.

Speaking of metro work and ORR, went towards Bellandur after nearly 2 years. I guess offices haven't re-started as yet because traffic was very light. Metro pillar work has progressed, but a long way to go. Can't see the announced deadline of 2024 happening, unless this new U-grider tech/process is really going to speed things up dramatically. And seeing the single lane and bus lane, wonder how traffic is going to be managed once all offices restart. I do hope most IT firms on that road go hybrid or remote and spare their employees the misery of commuting on that stretch. Considering my commute in that area pre-covid and pre-metro constriction itself, I don't see how it will be bearable for the next few years otherwise.
Old 16th February 2022, 09:28   #19467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And for those of us who go to Manyata, or even pass by Manyata - there is a small relief. The flyover connecting ORR to Manyata entry/exit is ready - and said to be opened. Will help both reduce the bottle-neck in that 1 km stretch by making ORR entry/exit easier.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...s-1082008.html

Attachment 2273136
This was only a formal inauguration. The flyover across ORR was open to traffic since last few months.
The relief is only short lived by the way. Some parts of the ORR between Nagwara and Hennur cross underpass has been barricaded for metro work. Width of the road has been reduced by one lane on either sides here. Expecting more barricaded sections to come up once work picks up.

In another news, Bangalore Airport metro line construction has officially begun!

"NCC Ltd. this Sunday bored & concreted the first pile to officially mark the start of construction work on Bangalore Metro’s 37 km Airport Line (Blue Line) which will link Bengaluru’s Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) to KR Puram."

details here: https://themetrorailguy.com/2022/02/...s-piling-work/

Last edited by sandsun7 : 16th February 2022 at 09:29.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 10:28   #19468
Senior - BHPian

More bad news:

CM replying in assembly about flyover issue …It’s concluded that the flyover can’t be repaired needs a reconstruction due to poor quality of earlier work as it’s buckling while testing with heavy vehicles
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:39   #19469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
It’s concluded that the flyover can’t be repaired needs a reconstruction due to poor quality of earlier work as it’s buckling while testing with heavy vehicles
This is terrible! Reconstructing that flyover is going to be a nightmare. Even before that flyover was constructed, traffic on that stretch was bad. Now after all these years it's going to be unimaginable, and add to that the demolition/reconstruction. Bad times ahead for all of us when entering/exiting Bangalore from that direction.

The construction company must be penalized for this. How can they get away with such poor quality of construction. How long has it been since that flyover was opened? Less than 13 years, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 16th February 2022, 11:46   #19470
BHPian

Quote:
The utter stupidity and brainless move to have this flyover built just boils my nerves. This would help those entering/exiting Manyata without getting stuck in traffic, but building a flyover in/out of the tech park by demolishing an already existing flyover on the main carriageway is not the solution, and guess what the METRO is gonna come right in the middle, I have no idea how the Metro line would pass through this puzzle called a flyover.

This flyover which starts from Nagawara and ends at Lumbini Gardens has a total of 3 steep gradients, which the trucks are going to use during off-peak hours, this will end up in the same state as the Gorguntepalya railway flyover.
FURY_44 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed