Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2022, 19:59   #19471
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Unfortunate for the flyover, since perhaps it wasn't designed for overloaded trucks, stationary traffic and more traffic than estimated.
How can this ever happen in honest civil engineering ? Any bridge is designed with 100% vehicle occupancy of the heaviest vehicle plying on the road. It has to be. Otherwise we would be seeing flyovers and bridges collapsing like a pack of cards all over india.

This is a clear case of spurious materials, 'diluted' mixing of concrete etc.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 23:32   #19472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
How can this ever happen in honest civil engineering ? Any bridge is designed with 100% vehicle occupancy of the heaviest vehicle plying on the road. It has to be. Otherwise we would be seeing flyovers and bridges collapsing like a pack of cards all over india.

This is a clear case of spurious materials, 'diluted' mixing of concrete etc.
There was a similar news report on flyovers on the outer ring road which have been handling stationary traffic and were never meant to do so. After this I am not sure what happened later. This coincided with many people including me experiencing the flyovers shake when heavy vehicles move over the expansion joints.

However I am no expert on how the load estimations are done. But as I said earlier, this is more complex than diluting concrete. And in the assembly video shared the MLA demands action against contractor and abolishing of toll. That also made complete sense. If the flyover itself is not usable, then why charge toll for it and add to the traffic jam.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 23:48   #19473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
There was a similar news report on flyovers on the outer ring road which have been handling stationary traffic and were never meant to do so. After this I am not sure what happened later.
A long time back I remember the signal on the Richmond road flyover was removed and it was made an oneway towards Residency Road for the same reason. Haven't seen any concerns about the flyovers on ORR though. On these flyovers the biggest issue is how you literally jump over the expansion joints even at modest speeds of 40kmph.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 08:32   #19474
Senior - BHPian

Just heard news about fines for mobile phone usage during riding/driving.

2 wheelers :
First time : ₹1500
Second time : ₹10000

Car/Auto:
First time : ₹3000

Heavy vehicles:
First time : ₹4000

I am not sure what was the fine amount earlier but this steep amount should act as a deterrent hopefully. But curious to see how it will be implemented especially against cab drivers who are always on the phones.
Old 17th February 2022, 09:09   #19475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
On these flyovers the biggest issue is how you literally jump over the expansion joints even at modest speeds of 40kmph.
The rumbler strips are even more funny. You can literally see 2 wheels of the car ahead not touching the road. Plus the crab like movement when taken at medium speeds like 20 kph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
But curious to see how it will be implemented especially against cab drivers who are always on the phones.
And also delivery agents. But I guess this rule is only for private vehicles. These aggregators pay fines in bulk in advance.
Old 17th February 2022, 11:09   #19476
UMe
BHPian

As per the news report, the Peenya flyover is opened for light traffic.
Any first-hand information about this?

Quote:
Flyover opens to ‘light’ traffic
Bowing to pressure from citizens and representatives, the National Highways Authority of India opened the Peenya flyover to light commercial vehicles from Wednesday evening. From Wednesday morning, the police personnel were busy making arrangements. Now, to separate the LCVs from heavy trucks, a height bar has been installed at the entrance of the flyover. Around 500 m before the flyover ramp, a rumble strip has been set up.

“The rumble strip is necessary as the vehicles need to slow down; this will help cops to segregate the traffic so that only LCVs are allowed on the flyover,” a senior police official told Mirror.
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/89624548.cms

Last edited by UMe : 17th February 2022 at 11:10.
Old 17th February 2022, 13:43   #19477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Just heard news about fines for mobile phone usage during riding/driving.

I am not sure what was the fine amount earlier but this steep amount should act as a deterrent hopefully. But curious to see how it will be implemented especially against cab drivers who are always on the phones.
This is a good move. Also so is the clear clarification, that a mobile on a holder and connected to car's bluetooth speakers is allowed, is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully we stop seeing the multiple modes of mobile usage on the road, the bottom two being the most common I see on the road
- mobile under the bike helmet next to the ears (or with the head tilted next to the shoulders)
- holding the phone on left hand on speaker mode while driving slowly
Old 17th February 2022, 13:49   #19478
Senior - BHPian

How's the situation on ORR now with metro and all activities in full swing?

Offices are calling people back and am afraid the WFH honeymoon might come to end next month.
Old 17th February 2022, 14:07   #19479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
This was only a formal inauguration. The flyover across ORR was open to traffic since last few months.
Though the straight road was opened few months back, entry/exit into/from Manyata was still not opened. They have opened it now.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:14   #19480

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
How's the situation on ORR now with metro and all activities in full swing?

Offices are calling people back and am afraid the WFH honeymoon might come to end next month.
Some parts of ORR have been reduced to one lane for normal traffic (each way) in addition to the dedicated bus lane. This makes the traffic slow down considerably and at peak hours (even with most IT folks still doing WFH) there is quite heavy traffic due to this. 2 lanes of traffic merge into 1 at 3-4 places which creates issues.

Even I was shuddering thinking once people start coming back, it will be even worse than what it was.
vabhian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:23   #19481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
As per the news report, the Peenya flyover is opened for light traffic.
News paper reports say that it is been opened to light traffic and will be under observation for next 6 months. Apparently, the condition is not that bad that it has to be demolished and re-built. A girder has been installed to limit vehicles taller than a Force Traveller - which means even passenger buses will not be allowed, let alone trucks.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...s-1082281.html

Last edited by condor : 17th February 2022 at 14:25.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:26   #19482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
How's the situation on ORR now with metro and all activities in full swing? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabhian View Post
...Even I was shuddering thinking once people start coming back, it will be even worse than what it was.
The ORR towards Marathahalli from Sarjapur road will be a living nightmare if all the offices call back their employees (which looks like a real possibility starting Mar or max Apr) given it is now a single lane with a bus corridor hogging half the road. The service lane has now been thrown open to traffic but that provides no respite. God save us all.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:36   #19483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Apparently, the condition is not that bad that it has to be demolished and re-built.
Phew, that's a relief! I hope that turns out to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabhian View Post
Even I was shuddering thinking once people start coming back, it will be even worse than what it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
The ORR towards Marathahalli from Sarjapur road will be a living nightmare if all the offices call back their employees (which looks like a real possibility starting Mar or max Apr)
I'm wondering why that wasn't obvious to all IT companies way back itself when the metro plan was announced. Anyone who has been in Bangalore for the past 5-10 years knows what happens to traffic on any road during metro construction. Everyone knows metro work deadlines will overshoot by years not months. And anyone who has worked along the ORR around Bellandur-Marathalli knows how bad the traffic was even before metro construction.

The covid shutdowns were a golden opportunity for IT firms to move permanently to a remote or hybrid model and to save their employees the misery of commuting on that road in the future. The past 2 years was more than enough time to make that model work and iron out any process issues. Pity if most firms haven't done that already.

Last edited by am1m : 17th February 2022 at 14:37.
Old 17th February 2022, 15:09   #19484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I'm wondering why that wasn't obvious to all IT companies way back itself when the metro plan was announced.
Pity if most firms haven't done that already.
I can think of two reasons.
1. The companies have already invested too much into office real estate in this part of Bangalore.
2. The local heads are not vocal in communicating real-life issues to the higher management. They themselves consider Indians to be second-grade citizens and are willing to compromise. You can see this behavior pattern in all aspects like we having to attend late-night calls or traveling economy while even the junior folks from the west don't.
Jaguar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 15:20   #19485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I can think of two reasons.
Yep, I agree. Also, I suspect the lucrative facilities contracts and number of middle-management jobs that will prove to be unnecessary without employees physically in the office played their part in those decisions to stay with the old model. Anyway, all those things have been already discussed in the 'WFH' thread, so no point going through them again here I guess.

But as far as the topic of this thread goes, feel for all those who will be forced to commute on that road for the next few years because of short-sighted management. It could have been easily avoided. Even the government suggested that solution but were forced to withdraw the advisory under pressure from the firms (and obviously the builders who own the IT parks!) Hope some of those 'key decision makers' too get stuck in the jams, pollution, and dust and feel the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Our company, a very big MNC in Ecoworld, admitted in townhall meetings that so much has been invested in real estate, it will all go to waste if employees are allowed to wfh permanently .
Yep I got this message too from my previous company (also at Ecoworld), and to hell with employee mental and physical health I guess. What happened to "our people are our greatest assets" I wonder?! Also got the "collaboration will be better in person" line. I guess they meant the opportunity to collaborate during the hour+ commute or the 20+ minutes it used to take just entering and exiting the Ecoworld traffic jam! (again, that was before metro construction!)

Last edited by am1m : 17th February 2022 at 15:33.

Most Viewed