Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2022, 18:12   #19921
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Trust me - nothing in Bangalore / even in this country will ever change. Problems such as this will continue to happen and will only get worse with time...
Consider what we're able to do regarding any problems discussed here, be it traffic or swindling by workshops. Even after moving heaven and earth, TBHPian SILVERWOOD was able to get only limited success in preventing harassment of non-Karnataka vehicle owners. I wonder how many of us could be as dedicated as he has been - my respect for such people only keeps going up.
mvadg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 18:16   #19922
BANNED

How is the situation around Hebbal to NH44? I need to head out to HYD this weekend from Banaswadi side. Is an alternative route via Hennur recommended? Is NH44 generally good and unaffected by flooding going North of Bangalore?

Last edited by Ragul : 31st August 2022 at 18:18.
Old 31st August 2022, 18:40   #19923
BHPian

Instead of Rants, this can be the opportunity to upgrade to the latest version of LRD. The economy will get a boost, fuel sales will go up and all those who own land/property in Bangaluru will benefit further. Of-course you will still be blamed for occupying more space on the road but that should be ok to swallow as a small price of development

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-defender.jpg
sunilch is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 19:24   #19924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
They got the whole 2 years with empty roads to fix this problem, but nothing done.
They were playing musical chairs even in the middle of Covid. Hey, they do all this for the sake of your welfare, so please don't complain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambandla View Post
I have seen the same people who would blame so called 'outsiders' for ruining the city. The same people who take 1 year rental advance and make 'outsiders' pay ridiculous amount of rent.
I take exception of that insinuation. No, I am an outsider myself and I have given out my property out on rent and taken a "huge" rental advance. Being an outsider does not magically make you a saint. It's market forces at play and you can't do much about that.
civic-sense is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 19:41   #19925
BHPian

Couldnt take a photo, but today I saw a Tempo traveller with a snorkel on the ORR near Prestige tech park
anandhsub is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 20:45   #19926
BHPian

I'll be shifting to East Bangalore in a couple of months and this thread is giving me nightmares.

I'm thinking of KR Puram surrounding for renting a house since my office is at Bagmane. Does this
sound like a good plan?

BTW, does anybody know if a snorkel can be fitted to Maruti Dzire
Everlearner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 20:52   #19927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
I'll be shifting to East Bangalore in a couple of months and this thread is giving me nightmares.

I'm thinking of KR Puram surrounding for renting a house since my office is at Bagmane. Does this
sound like a good plan?

BTW, does anybody know if a snorkel can be fitted to Maruti Dzire
Plan is good and areas around KR Puram, Whitefield Road, Marathahalli are all suitable places. Don't want to scare you, but if not done yet do check out the rents. I am hearing some stratospheric numbers in the ORR- Whitefield belt.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 21:25   #19928
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

The Saul Kere lake which was rejunavated maybe 5-6 years back and has been slowly getting filled. I think this is the first time the lake is actually completely full and started overflowing. Ideally the overflow should go into Belandur Lake, but the drain that actually goes under ORR is blocked and encroached. On top of that Bellandur Lake is also full. So water coming from Saul Kere has nowhere to go other than on the ORR.

As the comment says, as long as Saul Kere remains full and overflows, ORR wil remains flooded. I don't think there is a short term solution. If the rains continue over the next 2 days we will be in further trouble.
This is the reason, it's not flooded because of rainwater being clogged on the road, the lake behind Pritech Park/Ecospace is overflowing. There is a small canal which lets this water out and it flows into Bellanduru lake. However, the canal size is too small to carry the amount of water flowing out of the lake. Two to three days of incessant rain can cause such havoc to any city. It is not just here everywhere in south Karnataka, situation is the same.

All I see in this forum and in other forums is just people mocking the situation, the government, the infrastructure but no one considers the extreme events like this happening once in blue moon.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 21:36   #19929
Distinguished - BHPian

Recieved on WhatsApp

Quote:
*Update on ORR Bellandur near ECOSPACE Flooding*
ORR Bellandur has been experiencing severe flooding for the past 48 hours. The Rajakaluve adjacent to ECOSPACE has been overflowing and there is no sign of the water receding as all Upstream lakes are full and continue to overflow

Following are the major reasons:
1. BDA had constructed a very narrow Pipe culvert below the ORR in year 2000. This restricts the amount of rain water which can cross the ring road through the Rajakaluve
2. Encroachments upstream and downstream resulting in slower flow of rain water
3. Upstream lakes like Sowlkere lake have lesser storage capacity over the years due to excessive silt accumulation
4. Over the years, the built-up area has drastically increased and has created lesser scope for water absorption
5. 200% excessive down pour of rain in a 24 hour period in catchment areas
6. All Upstream lakes are full and continuous overflow happening even now
7. Non-stop rains for 7 to 8 days has saturated the soil and run-off water is significantly high

*What is happening now?*
1. Water level continues to be high and there is no sign of receding
2. BBMP Teams are stationed there to remove and plastic or blockages in the Rajakaluve
3. BTP Teams have diverted traffic on to Gear School Road to improve traffic flow
4. Assessment of Utilities in progress to finalise possibility of installing additional pipes across ORR

Inconvenience caused is regretted. Will share further updates on 1st September

Request commuters to use alternative routes and avoid ORR Bellandur Ecospace area

Mahadevapura Task Force
Jal Shakthi
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 22:05   #19930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
All I see in this forum and in other forums is just people mocking the situation, the government, the infrastructure but no one considers the extreme events like this happening once in blue moon.
Sorry to break it to you, but this is not an “once in a blue moon” situation. This has happened before and will happen again.

You’ve mentioned it yourself, “a small canal”. It became “small” (aka bad infra) due to poor planning and encroachment (aka bad governance).

We’re not mocking the situation, but we’re depressed of it. We’re not mocking the government, but we’re holding it accountable as any citizen in a democratic republic should be. We’re not mocking the infrastructure, but we’re highlighting the flaws that requires rectification. We love Bangalore too, that’s why we moved to this city in the first place but that doesn’t mean we should not criticise the city for its shortcomings.
shibulijack is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 22:08   #19931
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Recieved on WhatsApp
Traffic in front of Ecospace was free flowing today evening around 7PM. I had gone to drop someone at the bus stop in front of Pratham motors. I could reach that spot unhindered. And then returned via Marathahalli, again unhindered.

Traffic on the other side of the road was also moving fine. Minor jams could be seen on certain stretches of the service road.

Last edited by ashis89 : 31st August 2022 at 22:09.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 22:19   #19932
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Traffic in front of Ecospace was free flowing today evening around 7PM. I had gone to drop someone at the bus stop in front of Pratham motors. I could reach that spot unhindered. And then returned via Marathahalli, again unhindered.

Traffic on the other side of the road was also moving fine. Minor jams could be seen on certain stretches of the service road.
I lost my Toyota's number plate today in front of Ecospace at 4PM. The water was still there and high enough to rip off the number plate from the front bumper of the car.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 22:24   #19933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I lost my Toyota's number plate today in front of Ecospace at 4PM. The water was still there and high enough to rip off the number plate from the front bumper of the car.
Strange! I reached the spot around 6:40pm and there wasn't any trace of water. Not sure who and how they disposed off all that water.

Edit:
I came via the Bellandur lake road, joined the ORR service road below Ecospace flyover. Later I proceeded onto Marathahalli flyover and back home. No trace of water or traffic pileup anywhere.

Last edited by ashis89 : 31st August 2022 at 22:26.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 23:14   #19934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
Please define "extreme".

Intermittent rains for few days and an overnight rain? Can you call that as extreme? What do you call a continuous heavy downpour for a week, like say a Kerala monsoon then? Like said, this is not a once in blue moon. Scroll back a few years and we have discussed the exact same topic with almost similar pictures and videos circulated since then.

Experts have already opined that the root cause is illegal encroachments and unscientific constructions in the past two decades which blocked the natural flow of water.

The infrastructure in that area is a mess, need to simply accept that. Whoever has approved these buildings, layouts and its associated plans are be blamed.

Below is a good read of an article dated 10 years back. (Courtesy: The mentioned website and author of that write up)

Quote:
Here is a 2005 image of Bellandur lake:

Name:  encr1.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  103.2 KB

You can clearly see the raja kaluve connecting Varthur lake with Bellandur Lake which is on the right (outer ring road side)..with almost no construction. But the 2010 image below has way too much construction on the lake bed.

Name:  encr2.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  118.0 KB

The red arrow indicates the choking of the raja kaluve connecting varthur lake with bellandur..there are other constructions going on there which is doing a lot of harm to the lake..

The yellow arrow indicates houses & appartments constructed very close to the lake front..these are all surely on lake bed/bund..its encroachment galore there..
Note that the second image is of 2010. The rapid urbanization happened in the last 12 years. No prize to guess what the current image would be.

Courtesy:
http://praja.in/en/projects/2570/ann...bellandur-lake

Last edited by balenoed_ : 31st August 2022 at 23:42.
balenoed_ is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 00:04   #19935
Sen
BHPian

Had gone to Hoskote on Tuesday morning at 6 AM to have the famed biriyani. I have a video for what we saw near EcoSpace on the way back. (Don't lambast me, I wasn't the one recording, the footage is still in my dashcam )

Safe to say I've never had a more "heart-in-mouth" moment than while trying to get through that stretch! I wonder what the Audi S5 that was right in front of me (and slowed down completely right in front of the scene before it) did after I braved what felt like the literal sea.

I hope everyone made it through without damaging anything like I did.

Last edited by Sen : 1st September 2022 at 00:06.
Sen is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks