Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2022, 14:46   #19966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild82
The corrupt will NEVER hand over their CASH COW to private developers.
You may be wrong here . Private Developers are equally corrupt. Many of the IT parks or layouts which got flooded; they are all developed by private entities. I stay in a KHB layout, and to be frank the road infra, sanitation and water supply facilities they have provided is much better than the layouts with fancy names. This entire layout was planned and developed by Karnataka Housing Board (KHB) a state government establishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42
The first metro line was opened between Byappanhalli and MG Road - can you imagine the first line in Silicon Valley of India not covering any major Tech corridors and residential areas?
In 1997-2000 time period Bangalore City pretty much ended right after Indira Nagar Traffic PS. Areas like Bayyappanhalli itself was considered to be on the outskirts. Krishnarajapuram was like another small town, mainly a railway colony. Hoskote was considered to be way too far. The first plan for metro was drafted in this time. By the time the plan came into action the city had started growing by leaps and bounds. ITPL etc started operations from Whitefield and more tech parks started coming in that area. Same happened to areas like electronics city as well. IT companies mushroomed there, and all it had was a two lane highway (which later became four lane, and now have an elevated section). The growth of Bangalore was way too quick before any one could come up with any plan.

Quote:
It clogs the roads because a commercial space needs more car parking space which they don't provide, so the road gets owned as ancestral property by the day.
The residents of Kormanagala around six years back had planned for a grand protest against BBMP as they found there are too many people who park their vehicle haphazardly and cause general nuisance. BBMP authorities said that they will start checking every property and check building violations, and demolish any illegal construction. That was the end of the protest. It was these very same striking people (and neighbours) who allowed residential area to be made into a commercial area.
sachinpk is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 15:13   #19967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild82 View Post
LOL, in which world are you living in? You new to India/Bengaluru? The corrupt will NEVER hand over their CASH COW to private developers. The corrupt established parties have been milking infra contracts for DECADES now.
No need for such cynical replies. Let's stick to constructive comments.

I am just saying - Companies in Ecospace and Ecoworld can solve this issue at their level by -

1. Having more security guards to stop traffic coming to the service road if it is waterlogged. There are already companies like 56secure in Bangalore which are doing private security so this model can be extended and used for traffic management at a private level. You can get permission from the police for this, I don't see why they will have any problem with this. Traffic police are already understaffied.

2. Use private water pumps.

3. Build some kind of drainage system at personal expense. You can always get permission from corporators and BBMP. Their main complaint is they don't have money.

I know the system is corrupt and inefficient but the people who are part of it are our own family members, friends, and relatives. Let's focus on how to solve the problem.
Old 1st September 2022, 15:32   #19968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
The truth is nobody is going out of Bengaluru
I am not sure if that is entirely correct. Things have changed quite a bit after the pandemic. At the outset, many organizations have realized that it is very much possible to have a predominantly remote workforce and still achieve (in some cases, exceed) their performance goals. Organizations that will not embrace this flexi-work model - allowing a majority of their workforce to be remote - will lose their top talent to organizations that will, and eventually either give in or collapse.

On the other hand, the workforce has realized that they can have a life outside of work while still being fully employed - getting time for that morning jog, spending evenings with kids, etc. I mean, who would not want this instead of sitting in cars/cabs/buses for hours amidst NOx fumes?! With remote work becoming increasingly popular, people are moving back to their natives (at least in case of tier II and III cities/towns) where the cost of living is probably 30-40% lower than Bangalore and quality of life is way better. Remote work is here to stay and I am sure it is for the good - for our bursting-at-seams metros and more importantly, for good quality of life that every human being is entitled to.

Last edited by cool_dube : 1st September 2022 at 15:53.
cool_dube is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 15:43   #19969
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshc View Post
Waited for hours before managing to go back 100 meters to park it in the Mariott, then waited more than a day out and finally got the car back home a few mins back. In case you are wondering, I was the one driving it , small world! I remember seeing your car with the team bhp sticker on it.
Damn, that's awful, the rain still continues to boot. Small world indeed, sweet ride by the way!

So much for my attempt to reverse out of the service road eh?
Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 17:44   #19970
BHPian

Our office invoked BCP situation and sent messages to all employees in Bangalore to avoid ORR for the next 5 days. I dont know about other areas but in north bangalore, it just rained heavily this afternoon - still overcast now but rain has stopped for now. God be with those who need to travel the ORR these days.

On the growth of Bangalore, what was said is true. It just developed too fast for planners to keep up. sachinpk mentioned metro was planned in 1997-2000 and therefore Byapanahalli to MG road was the obvious choice then. By completion time, ORR and others have grown so fast that it wasnt catering to the crowd already. Of course, they could have been a little future forward but who could have guessed the speed at which this lovely city would grow? I think even the best urban planners would have been stumped.

I have been to Kuala Lumpur and I love the thing they have done there in Putrajaya and Cyberjaya by pushing them out of the city limits and build superb connectivity - train, metro, road. The city roads are not very wide but you have the IT crowd and the Government employees commuting outward in the mornings, the city traffic situation is nicely managed. Something similar is also planned in Bangalore - EC, Belandur and now the vicinity of the Airport. But the speed of completion is what is killing all improvement initiatives. As a RJ said, we are "WIP" city. Nothing even gets completed. How will infrastructure not be found wanting if projects are never finished?
gtonsing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 18:37   #19971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
In 1997-2000 time period ... first plan for metro was drafted. By the time the plan came into action the city had started growing by leaps and bounds.
The route planned back then (actually started even earlier, I see early 80s in Wikipedia) could be made more useful by diligently expanding the IT corridor along east, like extending it to Hoodi in the first plan itself. This meant giving approvals to projects that aligned with that direction, rather than allowing the mess on ORR.

It was not that other places in the city were not marked for IT expansion - Electronic City and Bannerghatta Road (IBM/ Oracle) existed for many years. So they could have looked east or south. Instead they chose to look west. Below is from Wikipedia:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot-20220901-182405.png

Wonder why they'd choose an area where there were not much traffic anyway to solve, and most of the chaos was on the east, even back in 2008 when I had joined.

Airport in the North, Electronic City in the South, IT Corridors in the East and South, but complete metro in the West first.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 1st September 2022 at 18:42.
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:19   #19972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Wonder why they'd choose an area where there were not much traffic anyway to solve, and most of the chaos was on the east, even back in 2008 when I had joined.

Airport in the North, Electronic City in the South, IT Corridors in the East and South, but complete metro in the West first.
True. instead of first focusing on high traffic density areas like Whitefield, Electronic City, ORR etc., they chose places like Peenya, Kengeri, Yelachenahalli etc.
Shows lack of foresight & planning by the City administration & state Govt.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:41   #19973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
It was not that other places in the city were not marked for IT expansion - Electronic City and Bannerghatta Road (IBM/ Oracle) existed for many years. So they could have looked east or south. Instead they chose to look west.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
True. instead of first focusing on high traffic density areas like Whitefield, Electronic City, ORR etc., they chose places like Peenya, Kengeri, Yelachenahalli etc.
Agreed about Whitefield and ORR. But EC? Somehow I see no growth in IT firms in EC at all after lets say 2010/12. Infact one of the big guns(i.e. Wipro) is moving out towards SJP(the new Wipro campus). HCL as well left the office(now only in Jigani). Somehow all the new firms have been concentrated only in the stretch of ORR-Whitefield leading to immense pressure on the limited infra which has become worse now with initiation of Metro Construction. But the older IT corridor like EC is just left as it was pre-2010(infact lesser concentrated now). I see a new biotech park coming up opposite to wipro building but no signs of any new IT firm. If some of the bigger names opened up in EC, maybe the congestion would have been a little more rationalized?

OT: I wonder what would happen to the huge Wipro & HCL EC campuses? I saw a firm take up 1 of the wipro buildings on lease back in 2017/18. Not sure how is it now.

Quote:
EC still has Infy, Wipro (though not big), HCL (in Jigani but need to cross EC), CGI, DXC, HP, Tech Mahindra, Siemens, Continental & other small companies.
These were present even before 2010. Infact if anything the number of firms and eventually employees working out of EC has just gone down in the last decade while ORR/Whitefield has seen unprecedented growth.

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st September 2022 at 20:03.
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:47   #19974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
PS: Next event at Ecospace: Groundbreaking (Digging) Ceremony to fix the drainage issue. All are Invited!
Already started. Massive digging is happening in front of the Ecospace main gate. No water logging this evening, not sure if it is the result of the digging or something else. 100s of cops were deployed in the area and the traffic was smooth. Cops were stationed even near the Sarjapur signal and they were not allowing any vehicles to stop unnecessarily. I am guessing some VIP is planning a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
What makes one an outsider or a local in Bengaluru?
I have a home here and a local car. I work, vote and pay taxes in Bengaluru. Does that make me a local?
Can you speak the local language, especially argue fluently when you are in any tough situation? If not, you are an outsider.
Jaguar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:52   #19975
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Just gonna leave this here
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-tweet.jpg  

A.K is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:59   #19976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Agreed about Whitefield and ORR. But EC?
EC still has Infy, Wipro (though not big), HCL (in Jigani but need to cross EC), CGI, DXC, HP, Tech Mahindra, Siemens, Continental & other small companies.
Can't still understand why Govt left out EC in the initial phases of Metro.
Old 1st September 2022, 21:17   #19977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Agreed about Whitefield and ORR. But EC? Somehow I see no growth in IT firms in EC at all after lets say 2010/12.
Yes I too find it surprising that the original IT zone is abandoned. Whereas there is so much space to accommodate double the tech parks in ORR, between EC phases and Chandapura. And because it could be a "long" corridor, it is more suited for MRTS - like Mumbai or Kolkata, such transport systems are more efficient if the city grows in one direction rather than multiple.

EC has some big hospitals and Biocon too, and heavy industries in Bommasandra who could all benefit from the Metro. Anyways, better late than never, now that it is coming up.

Quote:
And TCS. Pretty big office in Phase 2.
Old 1st September 2022, 22:35   #19978
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but this is not an “once in a blue moon” situation. This has happened before and will happen again.
By Definition, Blue moon happens more than once, it's just that it doesn't occur every fortnight. The same way, this overflowing lake has happened but doesn't happen every year. Hope that helps.

I am not defending government or corporation, just trying to draw attention to the root cause, which is incessant rain and lake bursting its bank. It's the same which happened on Bengaluru Mysuru road near Ramanagara.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 22:49   #19979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I lost my Toyota's number plate today in front of Ecospace at 4PM. The water was still there and high enough to rip off the number plate from the front bumper of the car.
Found your number plate.

https://twitter.com/halairporttrfps/...WryxDWrEg&s=19
psyph3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 22:59   #19980
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyph3r View Post
Hahahaha. Looks like I wasn't the only one who lost the plate.

PS: my reg number is 6639 and KA plates.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks