Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2022, 08:45   #20011
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Ecospace as expected is a river now.
Guess this is what RMZ meant in their ads about international standard work spaces- perhaps they were trying to make it look like Venice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Bellandur lake is overflowing on the bridge near Goyal.
Passed by yesterday afternoon, noticed it was already near road level, remember thinking that if it rains tonight, that's it.

After seeing these pics, if anyone still thinks WFH is a bad idea for IT companies and they miss their offices, it must be a case of Stockholm syndrome!

Last edited by am1m : 5th September 2022 at 08:50.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 08:46   #20012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Ecospace as expected is a river now.
Very much. Traffic is stand still on kadubeesanahalli flyover and I am one among them. I knew this but still had to venture out as it was a school drop which I didn’t want to miss. But looks like I will have to cancel it.

Gmap showed some congestion when I checked while I started but wasn’t that bad. Hence started 30 mins early to take care of this. Looks like the pile up became worse in the mean time. Now taking a U Turn also looks not very promising as the other side also is bad.

Feel sad for the people in bus. What are they sitting inside, they may as well walk up.

Even the bikers are not spared.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-946bbc15999c41d58ab67a7d7fcb454c.jpeg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 5th September 2022 at 08:54.
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 08:47   #20013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Passed by yesterday afternoon, noticed it was already near road level, remember thinking that if it rains tonight, that's it.
It has been near road level for the past 10 days or so, per my observation. Infact yesterday afternoon, it was slightly lower than its peak level I had seen earlier.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 08:56   #20014
BHPian

Guys please avoid going out. Sarjapur Road is clogged due to water logging in front of Wipro Gate. ORR is clogged due to water logging in front of Ecospace. Cascading effects are going quite far and wide.
drive2eternity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 09:10   #20015
BHPian

Got these Whatsapp videos from a colleague, I've uploaded in Youtube for easy share.
These videos clearly show current rain water clog situation in Sarjapur road.

Old 5th September 2022, 09:26   #20016
Senior - BHPian

Looks like only HTVs (Heavy Transport Vehicles) would be allowed in Bellandur, Ecospace area. Due to heavy water logging there.
Old 5th September 2022, 09:34   #20017
Distinguished - BHPian

And in case like me you bought the BBMP and IT park builder excuse that these things are because of- "unprecedented rain", "once in a lifetime rain", "wettest day", "metro construction", etc., here's a reminder from 2017:

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...eres-why-70071

"The area surrounding Savalkere or Saul Kere in Bengaluru received just 2mm of rainfall on Sunday night. Yet, the Outer Ring Road was completely inundated."

Things haven't changed in 5 years, they won't change. But at least let's paint the true picture of why this happens- corrupt government/BBMP, greedy builders, and IT companies that keep trumpeting how they "care about employee welfare" and yet force them to wade (literally) through this to get to work.

Last edited by am1m : 5th September 2022 at 09:37.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 10:53   #20018
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the mess that is Sarjapur/ORR boy am I glad to have moved to a different org on the North side. Was already happy to have reduced my commute time to 40-45 mins (instead of 1 to 1.5 hours). But to even things out my wife's new org is now in ecoworld and she is dreading as and when they call her to office.

Although both of our offices facilities team have sent out circulars to not venture to office for this week due to rains.
Old 5th September 2022, 11:14   #20019
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore and Whitefield area in particular reported 221mm/hr peak rate of rain as per reports. I have my own problems with BBMP and their totally inept management of the city. But no Municipal system can take this much sudden inflow water. All lakes in Whitefield region are full. So even if the drains are not clogged the water can't go anywhere.

Our apartment is in AECS area and has never been flooded in 15 years. But we had water in basement due to huge inflow. The Munnekolala lake has breached and entire Spice garden is in water. And do you know where this water will end up, yes 4 Km downstream at Bellandur. So once Bellandur lake is full, one need not have any hope other than pray for no overnight rains today.

We can blame BBMP, Govt, IT companies, Real estate companies..etc. But it is your life and your assets. So take appropriate actions
Check twitter for updates early morning. No main stream media is fast in reporting such issues.
If you see flooding updates, just WFH and don't venture out unless it is an emergency. If you are a manager be compassionate and ask your entire team to work from home even if your company is not asking to do so.
Don't sent kids to school since they suffer during huge jams. One day school lost is nothing.
poloman is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 12:31   #20020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Bangalore and Whitefield area in particular reported 221mm/hr peak rate of rain as per reports. I have my own problems with BBMP and their totally inept management of the city. But no Municipal system can take this much sudden inflow water. All lakes in Whitefield region are full. So even if the drains are not clogged the water can't go anywhere.

Our apartment is in AECS area and has never been flooded in 15 years. But we had water in basement due to huge inflow. The Munnekolala lake has breached and entire Spice garden is in water. And do you know where this water will end up, yes 4 Km downstream at Bellandur. So once Bellandur lake is full, one need not have any hope other than pray for no overnight rains today.
We have become complacent and believe this naive logic. But do give a thought to what has changed over the last 15 years. How many lakes have been killed and how many illegal constructions have come up in these years? On top of it, there is the unscientific metro construction now. They (bbmp/govt) have been doing some construction around the Bellandur lake for the past few years and the lake was almost dry before the monsoons. Ibblur lake was also half empty. But still, there is no place for the water to go with just half a day of heavy rain.

One interesting article from last year How to kill a lake
Jaguar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 12:53   #20021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
We have become complacent and believe this naive logic. But do give a thought to what has changed over the last 15 years. How many lakes have been killed and how many illegal constructions have come up in these years?
What have you done about it other than posting here?

I was secretary of my apartment association. With much pressure from the association, BBMP tarred our road. With in 6 months BESCOM agency came digging for a transformer installation. I climbed in to the JCB excavator bucket and told the driver he won't dig an inch with out BESOM officials on ground with written permission to dig the road and explain the work to us. He had to oblige and we got barrage of calls from BESCOM guys to allow the work and they will ensure proper repair. They repaired the road to excellent state with in 2 weeks.

The point here that is you will get an administration you deserve. "Yatha praja thatha raja" . No one is willing to lift a finger unless that affects him badly. But you make an effort, they really listen. Citizen apathy is the real reason for the pathetic state of affairs in Bangalore. When I had the collective power of association, I could do many such things in the layout. But did not get any support from larger group of residents.
poloman is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 13:15   #20022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
But no Municipal system can take this much sudden inflow water.

Thats not true at all. Mumbai gets 5-10 times Blore's rain. 5x rain it handles comfortably, with it's relatively much better designed storm water drains system. It's only when it rains 5-10x times , that severe flooding happens.

Municipal corporations like BBMP can very well prevent these floods if they and their politician masters have the will, by enforcing that adequate offsets are left, by ensuring that buffer zones are kept vacant, ensuring that storm water drains and rajakaluve hierarchies are well designed and not encroached upon, by ensuring that 4+ storeyed structures are NOT constructed in a 40x60 plot, etc. All these violations (each and every one of them) are widely prevalent in southeast Blore.
vharihar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 13:17   #20023
Senior - BHPian

Hope this knocks some sense into the forces above and they start reusing Electronic City area again as it was supposed to be. Wasn’t the BETL flyover built with so much fan-fare supposed to support smooth commute? Now even Metro is near completion. In terms of employees travelling now has gone down drastically since 2010/11. The infra is good enough to support much more firms and hence take some load off ORR.

Today dropped my spouse in EC at so-called-peak-hour(10AM) and I kept wondering how different the situation is in ORR(my office in ORR declared WFH for whole week). We had rains here as well but I didn’t see any water clogging both in EC-1 & 2. Yes the roads were so free I just went for a spin around entire EC

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th September 2022 at 13:22.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 13:28   #20024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Hope this knocks some sense into the forces above and they start reusing Electronic City area again as it was supposed to be. Wasn’t the BETL flyover built with so much fan-fare supposed to support smooth commute? Now even Metro is near completion.
EC is a pain to commute from B'lore North & East. Metro could help to some extent.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 13:32   #20025
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@nagaraj15, pls explain. I am not able to understand your post, especially the tax part. Not able to see the connection to the observation I have shared in my post.
My intended reply was whether one is paying 50% tax or 30% tax for the white topping work contribution, it is all considered in the Metro work costing. Whether it was used for one month or 6 years, if they want to implement the project it will be taken up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks