Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2022, 19:40   #20041
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Is this because the clutch is old? Any specific damage water wading can cause to clutch?
Due to rev at high rpm and shifting gears with half clutch.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 19:55   #20042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Due to rev at high rpm and shifting gears with half clutch.
Just to add. When treading water in cars, it is very important you dont stall the engine. (You are very lucky you are able to restart your car by the way - or reacted soon enough). So you need to make sure the revs are high and in low gear and what I do is use a half clutch throughout when driving a manual and treading water higher than approximately more than half the wheel - which is very harmful for the glutch.

How can I achieve this in an automatic?
gtonsing is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 20:04   #20043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42
When a ticket is raised for a feature I own, I work on it without an expectation that the filer will be cordial with me. Because it is my responsibility. As honest tax paying citizen, I expect the same from civic body.
It is easier said than done 8). Indian bureaucracy works in a totally different manner. Expecting that machinery to work like an IT company may be a bit too much at the moment. Some changes are happening (like example BESCOM call centres which actually work etc.) but beyond that very drastic changes may not happen very quickly. India is an overpopulated country and what an IT professional feels as a duty or top most priority may not be the same for a Asst. Executive Engineer or a Asst. Commissioner of Police. As some one mentioned earlier working closely with civic authorities -together- is the only way out. Perhaps it is the 'world should work as an IT company'; thought process which also is leading to the current situation in Bangalore. More fighting and demanding of rights seems to be happening on Twitter & Facebook .

I remember a girl posting on an IT company's internal discussion forum (I worked there). She wanted to know if police FIRs can be filed via e-mail (like raising a ServiceNow ticket). Next what she would have done that would be to escalate with notes like "Please respond ASAP" and mail CC-ed to the Inspector, ACP etc. That is when I realised that many of us in the IT bandwagon seems to be in a different world all together.
sachinpk is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:08   #20044
BHPian

I have spent a total of 8.5 hours on the road last Tuesday when this Ecospace chaos started.

My office is there in ecoworld. On that day, had to leave the car back in office and walked over the ecospace river, took a lift in an auto van, then took a BMTC bus and finally took an auto for the last two kms to BTM.

This week our offices are WFH due to rains.

Now rains started for the day.

Feel sorry for the folks who have to go to work/office over all this.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:20   #20045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
what an IT professional feels as a duty or top most priority may not be the same for a Asst. Executive Engineer or a Asst. Commissioner of Police. As some one mentioned earlier working closely with civic authorities -together- is the only way out. Perhaps it is the 'world should work as an IT company'; thought process which also is leading to the current situation in Bangalore
Perhaps I was not specific enough about not expecting the other person to be cordial. This does not dilute the requirements of collaboration. It is not that the work we do does not involve communication within/ outside the team (even across geographies and language barriers); that is very much part of our responsibilities. But I do agree that in any industry within itself it is easier to communicate as there are more like minded people, whereas in civic bodies it may not always be so.

Every job has different requirements and expectations. That is why I normalized my point by including "efficiency", which takes into account the differences. I don't expect the world to work as an IT company. It is completely about what I can do myself, and whether I have done it. I don't see why an AEE or ACP won't ask this question to himself end of every day.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:38   #20046
BHPian

Heard heavy rains again in many parts. If you have basement parking and possibility of floods, please try to move your car at least to road, if still possible. But do not risk yourselves doing it. In Chennai, now during heavy rains, flyovers become parking lot to safeguard the cars.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:46   #20047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that went on to become the most adventurous day of my life. Took the maximum brunt of today's flooding in front of eco space and that costed me 6 hours. Nevertheless, considering this as some good lessons.
I had a similar experience except that I was on my bike and I didn't cross this river.

Had to go to office to submit some documents for Travel desk. It was inevitable so set out. In the morning learnt that ORR is cut off and Spice Garden so both routes to my workplace in Brookfield were cut off. Hence decided to take bike since it's easier to turn around in case of a flooded road and dodge some by lanes. The morning commute was also pretty adventurous with lot of water on the road and flowing like a river beyond Hosmat hospital all the way till Mahadevapura.

At one place near Jeevanbheemanagar, I crossed a speedbreaker and immediately there was a pothole which bottomed out my bike almost as if the oil sump was gone. Realised that the exhaust had taken the hit and I didn't have to call a tow truck.

Reached office after 1.5hrs of adventure which has been the highest ever on bike. Strategy discussed with another colleague commuting in the same route was to start return journey by 330PM to be safe. Due to some meeting that extended a bit later he left and took HAL airport road and reached home somewhat as per target.

Me on the other hand started at 4PM start still expecting a 1hr ride time back home. As I came to Spice Garden, I see the road spanking clean and dry with no sign of the morning mayhem. Road was empty and I put the ninja to its paces. I wonder where all the water went. This increased expectations and Google indicated I would reach faster on ORR. It showed things were clear except for a red block near Ecospace which was expected.

Expectation - No rain since morning and roads are dry, hence even Ecospace water levels would have somewhat receeded to be able to pass through especially on bike.

Reality - ORR was pretty smooth until after Kadubeesanahalli underpass. After that there was a wall of stationary traffic. Dodged the vehicles and somehow reached service road in front of New Horizon. Traffic was being diverted into the tech park and I thought that's for the cars and two wheelers needn't divert.

Got on top of the ES flyover again with hardly moving traffic. Only bus lane moved and I had to follow one of the buses to get ahead. There was one lane of traffic going the opposite way and this was total mayhem. Imagine turning around facing stationary traffic and thinking you can make way. As I descended down the bridge it was an eye opening scene. I can't see one inch of road from the end of the ES flyover all the way till the next flyover. It was literally a river. cars were being parked on either sides of the flyover ramp while bigger vehicles tried to get into the water.

There was no way I could even judge if the water level was manageable since it was so far and long. Parked to the side of the road and stood there for an hour chatting with the people there and watching different drivers and vehicles taking their chances. Almost every two wheeler stalled. Cars made it but with quite some damage to bumper and so. Some did stall but like Balenoed mentioned there were some drivers who were helping around.

Some started advising me to push the bike all the way. But it was an expensive bet for me. The alternate was to go against traffic, which I was not ready to do since it's literally like a packed parking lot. No gap to even go in the wrong side. Suddenly one cabbie came up with an idea that there was a gap in the metro barricade which I could take a U turn in and return towards Marathahalli. That would be a long way home whereas on the other side of ES there was an empty ORR waiting for me to fly back home. In the meantime I also asked two tow trucks if they could drop me off the other side but those trucks were there to rescue cars in the same flooded and hence could not agree to take me even though I offered money.

After lot of deliberation decided to take the U turn and that was also in more than a feet of water. After that it was a long way back home via Marathahalli and HAL airport road and totally took 3hrs due to my over optimism. However I had a good break watching all the action right from ground zero.

This would be the worst I would put my Ninja to - a note to myself.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-4e176c265c0c4597955de8253bd7b5cd.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Just to add. When treading water in cars, it is very important you dont stall the engine..

How can I achieve this in an automatic?
You have to use manual mode if equipped and limit the range to 1-2 gears. That would keep the engine spinning higher as you wade through the water.

Another important thing to know for every car owner is the placement of the air intake and it's height with respect to an external part. That would be the ultimate reference to determine if you should take the plunge or not. Or rather a little lesser height to account for ripples. And make sure there is no heavy vehicle around which might spoil all your calculations. That was what messed the BMW stuck at ES from morning.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 22:01   #20048
Senior - BHPian

I would like to take a moment and applaud my company which took good measures in informing all the employees in Bangalore to WFH for the next two days, after which a decision to either continue WFH / WFO will be made. I really hope other companies wakes up to this fact and arrange for WFH.

This is never the less such a horrible state to look at these busy roads once known for vehicular movement is now making some grounds for local marine life. Unfortunately, neither us nor our vehicles are having any amphibiastic traits to survive the water logged stretch.

Last edited by gururajrv : 5th September 2022 at 22:03.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 22:12   #20049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that went on to become the most adventurous day of my life.
Damn that was some experience, specially considering it was in a low GC(165mm?) car. Just leave it to dry up for a couple of days and once weather improves straight head to A.S.C to check for potential damages this river would have done. Glad to know you three(your kid, you & car) came out unscathed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Today dropped my spouse in EC at so-called-peak-hour(10AM) and I kept wondering how different the situation is in ORR(my office in ORR declared WFH for whole week). We had rains here as well but I didn’t see any water clogging both in EC-1 & 2.
Since it started raining heavily again and getting ola/uber was almost impossible I went to pick her up around 8PM. Visibility was barely few metres. Both front & rear wipers at full speed, rear & front defogger in full play. Average speed was probably sub-10kmph. But no water clogging till now anywhere on the main roads in EC(1&2). Is it because the drainage system was designed better being pre-2000 or sheer luck due to location I wonder?

On a lighter note, some funny memes doing rounds on whatsapp.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-4f429b5599874ecf937d68c05dec5f88.jpeg  

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th September 2022 at 22:33.
SoumenD is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 22:53   #20050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For a change, I am considering today's incidence as a fun, what otherwise would have been a mother of all rant.
Do you mind sharing the video portion of your river crossing? I'm assuming you had a dashcam that recorded the whole experience.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 23:15   #20051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
So you need to make sure the revs are high and in low gear
Yes, I floored the pedal completely in first gear and never let it go. But still the water forces were quite high that the car simply stalled. It didn’t restart in the first attempt. That’s when the guy blocked the exhaust and I cranked again with which it started. In the second leg, the car didn’t stall and made it to the shore.

I saw many cars were stalled in the middle and never got started. They were pushed out from the water and were parked aside. Cannot imagine being stuck there with no sight of a tow help coming in any soon.

The surprising thing was that the water level didn’t even come down in what it was like 4-5 hours though the rain had stopped in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Do you mind sharing the video portion of your river crossing? I'm assuming you had a dashcam that recorded the whole experience.
I’m sorry, I don’t have a dashcam in the baleno or one old one in that is not functioning. I had my son to capture with mobile but as soon as water got inside the car, he panicked and lost focus, hence only a small bit I got.

I wish I should have fixed it.

The most thrilling experience was when the car stalled in the deepest part and a bus beside splashed all the water and the car got lifted and floated for few seconds with literally no control.

Out of all the numerous videos out there on YT on this, this one shows a closer view of what one experienced:

Last edited by balenoed_ : 5th September 2022 at 23:18.
balenoed_ is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 04:56   #20052

Had to drive down to Hyderabad due to a personal emergency and decided to leave Bangalore early. Left from Sarjapur Junction at 3:45 am and took the MG Road route. There was light rain all the way till Devanahalli. Happy to report there was no water logging anywhere on this route except for small puddles in a few places.
Also, was pleasantly surprised that even this early in the morning almost everyone was following the traffic signals excpet for the odd cab guys
germin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 06:23   #20053
Distinguished - BHPian

Need to go to Whitefield from Yelahanka. Doable in a sedan? Any danger spots enroute?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 07:50   #20054
Senior - BHPian

Water logging is still there on ORR - Kadubeesanahalli, Devarabeesanahalli areas. Traffic police may start sending vehicles on diverted routes. Two wheelers etc., better to avoid that sector for today.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 08:35   #20055
BHPian

Schools have been declared holiday in the CV Raman nagar and Kaggadasapura regions, due to water logging. Family is together after the pandemic on a working day!
thirumalkumaran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks