Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2023, 14:54   #20656
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

This morning. Early. 7 am. Koramangala to Sarjapur Road. Signal at Aishwarya Supermarket and Police Public School.
Coming from the direction of St Johns.
The light was red with 82 seconds to go.
Traffic from the opposite and perpendicular directions were just starting off.
I stopped of course m, switched off and waited in the middle lane.
On the right lane next to me a White Police Bolero braked as if to pull up. He did not come to a full halt. He decided then and there that he was above the law and went right through the red signal.
Sadly I haven't got a dashcam in my Gypsy to record this. And despite being stopped I couldn’t whip out my mobile fast enough to take a photo and plaster it all over social media to shame the driver. It is of course, a moot point if they have any shame at all in the first place. All these chaps are hardened traffic criminals.
The point is when the so-called guardians of the law themselves behave like this, then what hope have we, for any kind of salvation?
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 19:31   #20657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
The pillar structure is built at site and not pre-fabbed.

But I think, a structure like that would not collapse immediately, there would be a flex at first and then a gradual collapse, which would speed up towards the end. Wonder how the contractor missed this, and how the people on the road missed to spot it slowly leaning-in as well.
Saw some news videos. The supporting structure holding this column gave away which then resulted this to fall sideways.

I have seen these before in other areas and this supporting structure/scaffolding itself was so dense and held together firmly. I hope with everyone asking construction to be sped up, they are not having shortfall in building material to create strong support structures.

As usual anything happens, IISc will have to probe and give the report. They are being used too much for every pothole, every road, every flyover review
PreludeSH is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 09:57   #20658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
An under-construction metro pillar collapses near KR Puram.
Unfortunately, a mother and 1.5 year old kid died.
This is the last thing, I would expect among all the existing woes on ORR.

https://www.timesnownews.com/bengalu...ticle-96875292
Really puts into perspective of how quality maybe compromised for speed. The entire ORR is dotted with these pillars with regular construction in progress even during the heaviest of traffic. Hopefully this is a one off and not something that is common across the various sectors. As a citizen of the city and a regular commuter, I too wish for a metro across the length and breadth of the city but things like this should not happen.
ShreyG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 11:51   #20659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
Hopefully this is a one off and not something that is common across the various sectors.
I believe this is the third time it has happened in the last 6 months or so on the ORR metro but unfortunately the first time lives were lost.
Old 12th January 2023, 17:02   #20660
BHPian

Sink Hole opposite Brigade Towers in Brigade Road.

This is my regular daily route. Morning it was fine and in afternoon this has happened. Tunneling has been going on for the last 2 years in this area. And it seems tunnel boring machine is just 150 mts away from this spot.

Below is the Source and link

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le66369003.ece
Old 12th January 2023, 18:05   #20661
BHPian

Requesting an information regarding route from my dear fellow BHPians in Bengaluru.

I am not a resident of BLR, but visit the city periodically. I need to travel to St Johns hospital from Kanakapura road for which I usually engage ola or auto. I’m familiar with the onward route with help of google maps (via Maruti nagar road). But the problem is during the return trip. Autorickshaws manage to turn right before the IIA intersection. The IIA road is oneway and the police do not allow entering that path. Once I drove back and found myself exploring BLR avenues from Madiwala till Bannerghatta main road and ended up taking the familiar NICE road thereafter.
Can you please guide on how to enter Maruti Nagar road while exiting St Johns ? Or the correct route from St Johns to Kanakapura road ?
Thank you so much in advance for your time, patience and help.

Last edited by JayG : 12th January 2023 at 18:06. Reason: Errors
Old 12th January 2023, 19:38   #20662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Can you please guide on how to enter Maruti Nagar road while exiting St Johns ? Or the correct route from St Johns to Kanakapura road ?
Which point on Kanakapura road ? That road stretches from Banashankari temple to all the way beyond the city.

A simple route from the hospital (cross the road by foot) and take an auto:
https://goo.gl/maps/YPH8fPwoutFMnfCu6.

You can extend that route to your destination (assuming you are going towards Konanakunte cross)

Last edited by condor : 12th January 2023 at 19:45.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 21:16   #20663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Which point on Kanakapura road ? That road stretches from Banashankari temple to all the way )
Thank you, destination is near Vajarahalli metro.
How should I proceed if I am driving myself from St Johns to Yelachenahalli ? The issue is they were not allowing to take a sharp U turn from the St Johns exit service road to the opposite side, nor were allowing to turn right towards the road along Indian Instt of Astrophysics. These were the usual routes taken by autorickshaws, undetected by the police, I guess. Last time when I drove, I had to take the right at Madiwala, proceed along the battalion road, then Silk board and then took whatever google maps displayed. Somehow managed to reach Bannerghatta main road, and then decided to go circuitous via NICE rather than exploring another stretch of cross roads.
Old 12th January 2023, 21:37   #20664
snr
BHPian

Hey guys, I just noticed while coming from HSR BDA complex to turn left towards Koramangala 1st block and right goes to Sarjapur main road, has been blocked due to Metro related work. I guess after that horrific tragedy where two innocent civilians lost their lives, the authorities are being overcautious. But then it is an utterly stupid decision to block the road towards Sarjapur main road because the Metro work is happening near Agara junction, further down the road. The traffic flows towards Koramangala 1st block from HSR BDA junction, and there has been severe snarls since yesterday. Absolutely frustrating when these guys decide to do whatever they please without taking the larger picture into consideration. I had to go to Iblur today and I had to go round in circles

Hope better sense prevails.
Old 12th January 2023, 21:37   #20665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
How should I proceed if I am driving myself from St Johns to Yelachenahalli ? The issue is they were not allowing to take a sharp U turn from the St Johns exit service road to the opposite side, nor were allowing to turn right towards the road along Indian Instt of Astrophysics. .
If no right turn towards IIA, then take left at that signal, and try this option:

https://goo.gl/maps/yuSZP9pFEMdDvvc37

I am trying to keep things simple here, with reduced turns, based on my familiarity with the area. You are very likely to be in heavy traffic with this route based on time of the day. But the only way out of that is familiarity with the inner roads to be able to re-route yourself dynamically.

Last edited by condor : 12th January 2023 at 21:49.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 22:18   #20666
BHPian

Thank you. I will try this in February during my next visit.
Old 13th January 2023, 18:54   #20667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
In the site btp.gov.in, there is a complaint & suggestions tab on the top menu. You can choose Complaint type as 'About traffic fines'.

I have not used it, so don't know if it works. Please do let us know what your experience is with this channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
Thanks, just what I was looking for - have raised one today and will keep you all posted on what happens. I have a wrong challan.

PS: I had previously emailed helpdesk-echallan@gov.in and onehelpdesk@karnataka.gov.in and I got a prompt response from both of them stating that they would not be able to address wrong challan issues and asked me to get in touch with traffic police.

Quick update on this - It looks like it worked, I checked on Paytm and parivahan for any fines against my car registration number and it said no pending fines

Tried on btp site but there seems to be some glitch and its not opening.
Sandegov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 19:21   #20668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
Quick update on this - It looks like it worked, I checked on Paytm and parivahan for any fines against my car registration number and it said no pending fines

Tried on btp site but there seems to be some glitch and its not opening.
Good to know it worked for you.

Ever since i posted this step, btp site stopped working on my phone, laptop. I thought a btp curse is upon me

Now relieved, its not just me.
Or, bhpians rushed in to dispute their undue fines and broke the site?

Last edited by MSAneesh : 13th January 2023 at 19:24.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 06:18   #20669

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
A victory of sorts for me and my fellow motorists, by decongesting the infamous Gorguntepalya railway overbridge junction.
You must be one lucky chap to have been able to get thru to sorting out a easily solvable traffic snarl. Goes to show that if our traffic planners and managers in our cities (not designed for high motor vehicle ownership and usage) apply their minds to managing and enforcing traffic flow on our inadequate roads. It is time our motorists are weaned by enforcement their penchant for wanting to take the shortest route to their destination. This is because our traffic managers also suffer from the same attitude. All traffic flow impeding openings (turn offs) on congested roads should be closed. Even if it means driving/riding long distances to turn off or back.
Though the claim is that Bangalore is a nightmare for drivers and riders it is almost as bad in metros like Madras/Chennai. I detest driving a four wheeler in my city. Driving a distance of 8 km takes an hour or more. Primary reason being the myriad cross flow traffic that one has to cross. In Madras/Chennai I hardly see any traffic cop managing traffic. Gemini junction is a good example. People violate the traffic signal there with impunity. Fortunately the traffic lights there are setup to manage the traffic flow well. In fact till recently they were not in the best of repair and maintenance.

So unless the establishment gets proactive regarding ease of traffic flow things are only going to worsen with the enormous addition of vehicles to our roads.
old_cayuse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 11:07   #20670
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le66378233.ece

BBMP to build grade separator in Old Yelahanka to ease traffic towards airport

Finally! But I dread the congestion there while they work on it. Ultimately crowded place and just cannot cope with the sheer volume of traffic.

I truly hope they future-proof it instead of building some dinky flyover, which will be overwhelmed by the time it opens.

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th January 2023 at 11:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks