Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 11:00   #20716
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
KIAL alert:

At the new vehicle underbody scanning point near T1/T2, there are 2 x twin rumblers. Be careful with a full load as the first one compresses the front suspension, and releases it just in time for the front bumper lip to crash down on the second!

Latter one already looking deeply battle scarred.
Namma Bengaluru's fascination with yellow or white grids and rumblers. If not the plastic ones, they create them using bitumen etc. They dont even last long - I dont know whats driving these? I am sure (hope its not only the money)
Old 27th January 2023, 11:06   #20717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Namma Bengaluru's fascination with yellow or white grids and rumblers. If not the plastic ones, they create them using bitumen etc. They dont even last long - I dont know whats driving these? I am sure (hope its not only the money)
Since these are at the BCAS/CISF point, they would be strictly mandated by very specific security protocols.

Better that the security forces find underbody explosives (and neutralize the vehicle and occupants), rather than not .

I certainly don't want a Black September type attack at KIAL.

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th January 2023 at 11:13.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 17:17   #20718
BHPian

Talking of Humps in Bangalore, I seriously do not understand the logic of humps on our roads , every other day the underbody of my car scratches on these infamous humps. Not sure why we need them on the road while we have so much of potholes and traffic.

On a side note, I see a new trend in Bangalore - the flyovers are having thermal expansion joints and they now act as a pothole. the intelligent BBMP team is adding more and more bitumen to the flyovers without removing the old layer. this is causing the road to be way too elevated at these joints & it's breaking the suspension for sure. eg: KR Puram flyover / Sarjapur carmelaram flyover

Last edited by arun_sharon : 27th January 2023 at 17:18.
arun_sharon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 18:14   #20719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_sharon View Post

On a side note, I see a new trend in Bangalore - the flyovers are having thermal expansion joints and they now act as a pothole. the intelligent BBMP team is adding more and more bitumen to the flyovers without removing the old layer. this is causing the road to be way too elevated at these joints & it's breaking the suspension for sure. eg: KR Puram flyover / Sarjapur carmelaram flyover
Right about the expansion joints. However, its not due to BBMP adding bitumen layers. Even most new flyovers have this. I think the contractors building the new flyovers are not competent enough. The older ones be it KR Market, Richmond circle etc have no issues.
On outer ring road starting from Magadi road flyover all the way to Hebbal, you see the joints which are horrible. I take this route to office and traffic itself stops as if they are facing a speed hump.
With little precision they could use concrete surface so that they are smoother for a long time.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 27th January 2023 at 18:16.
Old 27th January 2023, 19:23   #20720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
On outer ring road starting from Magadi road flyover all the way to Hebbal, you see the joints which are horrible...
Come over further towards Silk board. You will witness much horrible ones. The Bellandur flyover is the worst of it. It is so bad that if you are on some good speeds on a two wheeler and climb over it, you will be thrown out of the flyover. Many rear ending accidents as well are common on that.

I always wonder is it too much of a job to do a good job at designing these joints.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 27th January 2023 at 19:33.
balenoed_ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 10:10   #20721
Senior - BHPian

Couple's drive back home turns into horror in Bengaluru

Had also seen some tweet about this incident. Seems to be a clear attempt for robbery/mugging considering the time of the crime and attitude of the two criminals. Most likely this may not have been their first similar crime.

Two men riding a motorcycle (KA 51/HT 8907) suddenly appeared on the wrong side. The car slowed down but the motorcycle hit it head-on.

S Girish, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Whitefield), said both suspects had been arrested by the Bellandur police. The suspects are Dhanush, 24, and Rakshit, 20. Both work in a fish shop in Bellandur. Based on a complaint from the couple, Bellandur police arrested the suspects under IPC sections related to intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace (Sec 504), criminal intimidation (Sec 506) and causing grievous hurt by an act endangering the life or personal safety of others (Sec 338).

HSR Layout traffic police have filed a separate case under IPC Section 279 (rash driving or riding on a public way) and 119 read with Section 172 of the Indian Motor Vehicles Act.

At least some of the charges should stick and they should get convicted.

Google Maps showing the area. Checking this I found that this was the road which I used to take when the Rail Over Bridge at Carmelaram was getting built. At that time, the road was narrow and the area very thinly populated. There were for a couple of slums very close to the road as well.

Last edited by sachinpk : 30th January 2023 at 10:10. Reason: Link corrected.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 10:27   #20722
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

Had also seen some tweet about this incident.
This is a scary incident.
Good to avoid late night driving for sure.
And good also to be prepared with Pepper Spray etc.
Shows the extreme importance of having a dashcam in one’s vehicle(s).
Thing is, lets face it, there is an ever-increasing divide between the haves and have-nots. This is only further widening. And this definitely leads to resentment and zero forgiveness. Sadly the innocent are the ones that end up suffering for no fault of theirs.
It is no use expecting the Police to supervise every possible area. They are badly under staffed from what I understand and there doesn’t seem to be a solution in sight to that either.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 17:18   #20723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
KIAL alert:

At the new vehicle underbody scanning point near T1/T2, there are 2 x twin rumblers. Be careful with a full load as the first one compresses the front suspension, and releases it just in time for the front bumper lip to crash down on the second!

Latter one already looking deeply battle scarred.
These! Was in the Q3 today hence nonchalant
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20230130_132357.jpg  

itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 21:11   #20724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

Had also seen some tweet about this incident. Seems to be a clear attempt for robbery/mugging considering the time of the crime and attitude of the two criminals. Most likely this may not have been their first similar crime.

Two men riding a motorcycle (KA 51/HT 8907) suddenly appeared on the wrong side. The car slowed down but the motorcycle hit it head-on.

S Girish, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Whitefield), said both suspects had been arrested by the Bellandur police. The suspects are Dhanush, 24, and Rakshit, 20. Both work in a fish shop in Bellandur. Based on a complaint from the couple, Bellandur police arrested the suspects under IPC sections related to intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace (Sec 504), criminal intimidation (Sec 506) and causing grievous hurt by an act endangering the life or personal safety of others (Sec 338).

HSR Layout traffic police have filed a separate case under IPC Section 279 (rash driving or riding on a public way) and 119 read with Section 172 of the Indian Motor Vehicles Act.

At least some of the charges should stick and they should get convicted.

Google Maps showing the area. Checking this I found that this was the road which I used to take when the Rail Over Bridge at Carmelaram was getting built. At that time, the road was narrow and the area very thinly populated. There were for a couple of slums very close to the road as well.
I travel late night (12.30 to 1.30 am) from Office (Indiranagar to Uttarahalli. Indiranagar, Trinity, Residency Rd, Lalbagh Rd, KR Road, BSK, DG Petrol bunk, Padmanabhanagar, Uttarahalli).

Things I follow after travelling late nigths for almost more than a year.

1. Do not horn at anyone. Be patient and wait till the road widens for me to overtake. Have seen people getting irritated when someone behind them horns. I am talking about mild horn and not the harsh ones.
2. Avoid eye contact when someone starts honking or trying to talk to me. Just mind my business.
3. Ensure to lock the doors (my Grand i-10 does not lock by itself and I will have to do it manually) and windows down not more than 3 to 4 inches. Ensure that no one from outside can out their hands through it.
4. Avoid high beams. It irritates the bikes coming from opposite and I have experienced someone blocking me for it.
5. Next step out of the car and ask sorry in Kannada and walk away. Do not get into any argument.

Not sure if I am right; but at that hour, its always good to be safe and reach home without any mental strain
Sedate_Drive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 22:01   #20725
BHPian

The HAL underpass at the Suranjan Das / Old Airport Road intersection has been thrown open sometime last week. It is a strange experience to go through it after more than 2 years of hell. The good news is that the traffic (when I was coming from Suranjan Das road towards Marathahalli) is no longer bottlenecked at the T-junction.

The bad news is that there are vehicles itching to do a U turn right after the underpass on the eastbound carriage way (towards Marathahalli). This is a narrow 4 lane road, so the traffic is getting blocked up till near the HAL sports club. To the cops credits, they have blocked a couple of U turns just after the underpass but the traffic flow still needs to be improved.

Fingers crossed on how this evolves.

PS: Hope the bridge above the underpass doesn't turn into a parking lot!
curiousElf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 22:10   #20726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate_Drive View Post
I travel late night (12.30 to 1.30 am) from Office (Indiranagar to Uttarahalli. Indiranagar, Trinity, Residency Rd, Lalbagh Rd, KR Road, BSK, DG Petrol bunk, Padmanabhanagar, Uttarahalli).

Things I follow after travelling late nigths for almost more than a year.

1. Do not horn at anyone. Be patient and wait till the road widens for me to overtake. Have seen people getting irritated when someone behind them horns. I am talking about mild horn and not the harsh ones.
2. Avoid eye contact when someone starts honking or trying to talk to me. Just mind my business.
3. Ensure to lock the doors (my Grand i-10 does not lock by itself and I will have to do it manually) and windows down not more than 3 to 4 inches. Ensure that no one from outside can out their hands through it.
4. Avoid high beams. It irritates the bikes coming from opposite and I have experienced someone blocking me for it.
5. Next step out of the car and ask sorry in Kannada and walk away. Do not get into any argument.

Not sure if I am right; but at that hour, its always good to be safe and reach home without any mental strain
Wholeheartedly agree with this checklist. I too stay in Padmanabhanagar. I have met quite a few goons on scooties while coming back from work at a hospital at late night.
A shame as the goons consider driving on the wrong side as their birthright.
One pro point for me is that I can understand and speak kannada, as I have been living here since 3 years. People don’t expect me to understand Kannada as I have a Punjab registered car.

Last edited by D4d-maniac : 31st January 2023 at 22:14. Reason: Added another point.
D4d-maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 08:43   #20727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Wholeheartedly agree with this checklist. I too stay in Padmanabhanagar. I have met quite a few goons on scooties while coming back from work at a hospital at late night.
A shame as the goons consider driving on the wrong side as their birthright.
One pro point for me is that I can understand and speak kannada, as I have been living here since 3 years. People don’t expect me to understand Kannada as I have a Punjab registered car.
Yes. I hate to see people in "Dio" (nothing against the vehicle) driving insanely in front of me. I try avoiding the route they take. I have seen these guys are always problem makers (thank god, I haven't experienced myself).

Another important thing is that I avoid any cross roads and always take up the main roads (well lit). This not only saves time and fuel during the odd hours but also is safe.

Agree with you on the registration. My confidence grows, as I have KA-05 registered vehicle but the same thing doesnt go well in other Cities.
I always get a stare from the locals, who feel, I am getting into their space.
Old 1st February 2023, 12:53   #20728
Senior - BHPian

Good advice. What's the Kannada word for Sorry? Just curious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate_Drive View Post
Old 1st February 2023, 13:10   #20729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Good advice. What's the Kannada word for Sorry? Just curious
Kshamisi, I think
srvm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 13:16   #20730
BHPian

Should be 'sorry guru' or 'sorry anna'. Dont think anyone translates sorry