Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2023, 13:26   #20731
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

But speaking in Kannada makes no difference, our Bengaluru has imported criminals too like other professionals. There are small pockets of criminal areas on Sarjapur Road too, be cautious between Agara to Kaikondrahalli, Kodathi to Dommasandra, and Sompura to Sarjapura. The antisocial elements prefer to choose certain points depending on the availability of quick escape routes.
deehunk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 13:37   #20732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Should be 'sorry guru' or 'sorry anna'. Dont think anyone translates sorry
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Kshamisi, I think
If you want to take a slightly aggressive stand compared to asking sorry straightaway, I use the kannada slang for "What do you think you are doing" by "Yaakeyyy?" Since that explains a lot of things to the other party, starting from the fact that they are talking to a localite, till the fact they they aren't going to get away with their usual antics and hence their initial momentum is reduced greatly after which you can have a regular Convo about bad roads, bad traffic and stuff.

Asking sorry straightaway isn't always workable and gives them a good vibe and upper hand. If it's a sensible party you can expect things to go well else they will use that as an advantage.

Last edited by audioholic : 1st February 2023 at 13:39.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 13:44   #20733
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
One pro point for me is that I can understand and speak kannada, as I have been living here since 3 years. People don’t expect me to understand Kannada as I have a Punjab registered car.
I think this whole expectation thing about speaking Kannada is basically wrong. This was never such a parochial and chauvinistic city as it seems to have now become. But discretion being the better part of valour, the advice is good.
Anywhere in the world its nice to know a little of the local language and to be respectful.
The problem here in Bangalore is the ever widening gap between the haves and have nots. And the fact that many of these miscreants hide behind this ‘local’ and “kannada” language chauvinism.
Yet it is also true that there are enough ‘imported’ miscreants too.
Investing in a good pepper spray is worth it I feel. To be used preventively.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 13:58   #20734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Good advice. What's the Kannada word for Sorry? Just curious
ChatGPT says "The word for "sorry" in Kannada is "ಮನ್ನಬಹುದು" (mannabahudu)."
Old 1st February 2023, 14:08   #20735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate_Drive View Post
1. Do not horn at anyone. Be patient and wait till the road widens for me to overtake. Have seen people getting irritated when someone behind them horns. I am talking about mild horn and not the harsh ones.
2. Avoid eye contact when someone starts honking or trying to talk to me. Just mind my business.
3. Ensure to lock the doors (my Grand i-10 does not lock by itself and I will have to do it manually) and windows down not more than 3 to 4 inches. Ensure that no one from outside can out their hands through it.
4. Avoid high beams. It irritates the bikes coming from opposite and I have experienced someone blocking me for it.
5. Next step out of the car and ask sorry in Kannada and walk away. Do not get into any argument.
Thanks for sharing these tips.
I would suggest being cautious with the last one.
Stepping out of the car even with noble intentions of apologizing could be a hit or a miss. It increases the exposure and physical proximity to the other party. In case of anti-social elements looking for trouble, it could lead to more altercations, phone-snatching, etc etc.

I am new to Bangalore (with a non-KA number plate) and was always led to believe it is a very safe city. Will need to be more careful based on the experiences shared over last few posts.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 14:19   #20736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Good advice. What's the Kannada word for Sorry? Just curious
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Kshamisi, I think
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Should be 'sorry guru' or 'sorry anna'. Dont think anyone translates sorry
I just say "Sorry Guru" & "Aaithu hogu guru (please carry on in Kannada)" and try coming out the situation.
It has worked with me 2 times and hopeful to not get into that situation again.
Sedate_Drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 14:22   #20737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
These translators are more than enough to spoil our regional languages, please do not rely on them for understanding a language. There is no such word as Mannabahudu, Mannisi is a high-level word, and Kshamisi is enough for day-to-day purposes, while I am extremely sorry if you are learning these words to talk to a criminal in Bangalore. Just look at google maps, barring Telugu and Kannada, Tamil and Malayalam are getting their pronunciations better I would say among the Dravidian languages.
deehunk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 14:23   #20738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If you want to take a slightly aggressive stand compared to asking sorry straightaway, I use the kannada slang for "What do you think you are doing" by "Yaakeyyy?" Since that explains a lot of things to the other party, starting from the fact that they are talking to a localite, till the fact they they aren't going to get away with their usual antics and hence their initial momentum is reduced greatly after which you can have a regular Convo about bad roads, bad traffic and stuff.

Asking sorry straightaway isn't always workable and gives them a good vibe and upper hand. If it's a sensible party you can expect things to go well else they will use that as an advantage.
Agree... 2 occasions were it worked, I believe were group of people from some MNC, who wanted to race home and hence it worked.
If it was a different group, the result would have been different.
Old 1st February 2023, 14:31   #20739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I am new to Bangalore (with a non-KA number plate) and was always led to believe it is a very safe city.
It is. Please don't get influenced unduly by the posts about needing to carry pepper spray, iron rods, hockey sticks, etc. There's absolutely no need. Just exercise the same common sense and caution you would in any big city.

Driving/riding in Bangalore is frustrating more than unsafe and as long as you don't unnecessarily escalate the situation, when some mishap happens, all should be fine. There's a great thread on dealing with road rage/de-escalation and that's of more use than carrying weapons or getting worried to the point of not being able to enjoy a normal drive/ride.

When I was younger, I was a bit of an idiot and wouldn't back down in any minor road issue, got in to several verbal tussles. Even then it never got physical, just threats and abuse from both sides for 10-15 mins. These days, I just wave things away and life is infinitely better.

Last edited by am1m : 1st February 2023 at 14:34.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 14:37   #20740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate_Drive View Post
5. Next step out of the car and ask sorry in Kannada and walk away…
Sorry, ask sorry for what?
Old 1st February 2023, 14:42   #20741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Sorry, ask sorry for what?
I just try to get out of the situation and avoid arguments (when its late night and roads are deserted).
This way, I can avoid any confrontation and head home peacefully.
Old 1st February 2023, 14:58   #20742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
These translators are more than enough to spoil our regional languages, please do not rely on them for understanding a language. There is no such word as Mannabahudu, Mannisi is a high-level word, and Kshamisi is enough for day-to-day purposes, while I am extremely sorry if you are learning these words to talk to a criminal in Bangalore. Just look at google maps, barring Telugu and Kannada, Tamil and Malayalam are getting their pronunciations better I would say among the Dravidian languages.
My apologies. I had no idea this wasn't true.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 20:58   #20743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My apologies. I had no idea this wasn't true.
No worries, the first time I used a translator was in France for a couple of blank taxi bills, the real intention was not understood by the driver and he kind of refused it as an unethical request.
deehunk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 23:35   #20744

Quote:

My god. ChatGPT has got this completely wrong. I tried with the same prompt a few times and it was wrong all the times.

ChatGPT uses a type of AI called the transformer architecture to translate text from one language to another. It takes the source text, encodes it into a vector representation, and then uses a decoder to generate the target text based on what it has learned from large sets of parallel text in both languages. However, it still has limitations in accurately translating expressions that are unique to a specific culture or language.

ChatGPT in general is not a Translation tool ( in spite of what it may claim )

I have provided it with a better suggestion. It might update itself eventually ( I highly doubt this process is automated )

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot-20230201-11.27.21-pm.png
vamsi_k_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 20:17   #20745
Distinguished - BHPian

Please note!

Restricted vehicle movement for India Energy Week
Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/city/re...k-1187711.html

Will create mayhem on the rubbish 'peripheral' roads, but hugely help city traffic
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks