Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:08   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad traffic police-money making racket

Today I received an challan notice from Hyderabad Traffic police for a violation I didn’t commit and which I am not aware of. I own a LML Vespa which is very rarely used. The challan states that the violation is for triple riding near Ek Minar Masjid in Nampally police station limits.

I stay at Sainikpuri which is some good 25 kms from Nampally. The offence date recorded is 25th Sept 11:00 am. I was very much at home at that time and confirm the neither me nor the vehicle were anywhere close to Nampally on 25th.

I do not want to pay a challan for an offence I didn’t commit. What are the consequences if I ignore the challan and not pay the fine ? what are my options ?

I seriously think that this is some kind of money making racket by Hyd traffic police to fill in the coffers by sending such notice to law abiding citizens. Please help !

Enclosed is the challan I received.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad traffic police-money making racket-presentation1.gif  

Old 22nd October 2009, 19:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Don't know about hyderabad, but in Bangalore something similar happened and when asked to produce evidence the cops could not do so and cancelled the challans :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1541633 (Bangalore Traffic Fine Scam??)

Why don't you ask them to produce evidence of the violation ?
Old 22nd October 2009, 20:50   #3
BHPian

I often see cops walking up ad down noting down registration numbers are signal points. These are of vehicles that are stopped and waiting at the signal. Now whether they creating a database to make up random challans to meet some quota or they are actually noting down some offender's number, I cannot say.
Old 22nd October 2009, 20:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

I can bet this would be shot down in the court of law for want of evidence. Pure horse crap.!!
Old 22nd October 2009, 21:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
I often see cops walking up ad down noting down registration numbers are signal points. These are of vehicles that are stopped and waiting at the signal. Now whether they creating a database to make up random challans to meet some quota or they are actually noting down some offender's number, I cannot say.
Yeah, I too have noticed the same. They note down regn. numbers seemingly at random. Why is this done for?
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:36   #6
BHPian

Similar experiences from other tbhp members -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-8-months.html

Some people paid and some people didn't.
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:57   #7
BHPian

The following URL gives the details of how to report a wrong challan:

Wrong Challan ? -* Hyderabad Traffic Police
Old 22nd October 2009, 23:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you pay the challan,you are admitting that you have committed the crime.Hence dont pay it and protest.
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:20   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Similar experiences from other tbhp members -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-8-months.html

Some people paid and some people didn't.
Above link outlines my post with a similar type of experience. I repeat, ignore the challan and 99% they do not approach you if you dont pay up.

If they do, tell them you have not comitted that offense outlining what you did in your post. And, let them produce a picture which is the only evidence they can use to prove it.

Total crap, what happens is the volumes are so high so it can be two things

1. They geniuely goof up the number because those constables need to write in a jiffy

2. They send fake challans 10/100 and 8 pay up and 2 dont. That is still good money for them.

Lean back, relax and forget the problem cause it isn't ONE.

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd October 2009 at 11:21.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:24   #10
BANNED

Isn't it true that the word of a traffic policeman is taken as truth if there is a dispute. Or does he have to produce proof.

From the bangalore thread and some responses here it seems the case.

I had this issue when they picked up my Goa registered bike from a valid parking area on charge for parking in a no parking zone.

I disputed and the traffic inspector said - "I" picked it from a no parking area. Proof enough. LOL.

I was new to bangalore then and looking at my chained bike made be weak.

This was Commercial Street Police Station.
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
If you pay the challan,you are admitting that you have committed the crime.Hence dont pay it and protest.

Exactly my point. I dont want to pay for an offence I didnt commit. It sure looks like a big time money aking racket.

Plan on going to the traffic control room tommorow and dispute this challan. will keep you all posted on the developement.
Old 28th October 2009, 17:22   #12
BHPian

A sad ending

Friends.

A sad ending to my ordeal. Before I could approach the control room to challenge the challan on Saturday, my Father-in-law had already paid the challan at an E seva center nearby.

My FIL, didn’t want me to go through the ordeal of visiting the control room, argue with the cops and waste valuable time over this issue. I wonder how many such people end up paying challans for no fault of theirs.

I am so furious and upset about the entire episode. God save this country !!
Old 28th October 2009, 18:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

^^ Good to know that your FIL had good intentions; sad to know your have legally acknowledged of a wrong-doing. As said, do not get furious; next time, let him know what you intent to do.

OT:
Something for the MIL's & DIL's to learn from! (FIL - SIL understanding!)

Last edited by HappyWheels : 28th October 2009 at 18:37.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:07   #14
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
^^ Good to know that your FIL had good intentions; sad to know your have legally acknowledged of a wrong-doing. As said, do not get furious; next time, let him know what you intent to do.

OT:
Something for the MIL's & DIL's to learn from! (FIL - SIL understanding!)
Lol. It's not FIL - SIL understanding here. It's FIL's understanding of indian police I guess. Guess, with all his experience, he felt it's not worth protesting. My dad always used to say to my bro. Never argue with a cop. They'll note your reg number and wait for a trivial mistake and then make a mountain of a mole hill.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:35   #15

Re: Hyderabad traffic police-money making racket

I am getting repeated challans from Trimulghery traffic Ps,Hyderabad. Reason is cited as jumping signal. I never ever jump the signal. I got three challans with the same cam number. Looks like the camera is just shooting even the cars at the end of the tail. I cross the point when green and get stuck in the line. Cos am at the tail it means am jumping signal ?? God !! its 600 /- in all. Why must i pay this ?? And how can i resolve this situation ? anybody facing the same issue ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks