Team-BHP - 30 Minutes Or Free
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   30 Minutes Or Free (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/68169-30-minutes-free-2.html)

The promo by Dominos does warrant rash riding. Its at times scary to see them zoom by.

The milkmen in most cities are even worse. To add to the misery they have huge cans protruding dangerously out.

I hace once seen a pizza guy in a minor accident. I was standing in Signal and this pizza guy came at a relatively high speed, tried hard braking, skidded, hit a lampost nearby and fell on the road.There was a good amount of scratches on his elbow and palm. This guy lifted his bike and started driving like nothing happened.I saw this incident around 3 years back, may be they had the salary cut policy then. But we need to credit the Pizza outlets for atleast provding a decent helmet and making it compulsory for these delivery guys.

Its true that Dominos Pizza and other major chains doesnot warrent salary cuts on the delivery boys. When we talk about pizza delivery guys its not only dominos and pizza corners.. each city has its own Pizza bhavans (I prefer to call them that) and they are not under the radar. They still charge the delivery guy for the cost of the pizza.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 1551494)
The entire thread looks like more or less stereotyping the pizza delivery guys, the same thing was done to cab drivers couple of years back, are cab drivers the only people who drive fast or rash? do all cab drivers drive fast and rash?

The 30 minutes nahin toh free is a marketing gimmic, no one else has anything like that, its not only because of good fleet of pizza dilevery boys but alos because of a lot of dominos arround, so the call usually reaches a call center and then the order is passed on to the nearest dominos joint.

We have a dominos joint in technopark, i live roughly 1.5 kms away from the main gate, once when i tried ordering the guy said it will take aproximately 45 minutes, i asked him what about your 30 minutes or free offer? he said only applicable in the city. So my point here is nuts and bolts how many times have you seen these boys driving fast and rash? and others who have made senseless comments like "a lot of people who work their have been wanting bikes from their childhood so that they can rev them up and zoom past people," i pity. Lets not start an unnecessary social out cry.

Pramod

Hi Pramod

I have not thought this topic out of my hat. I saw rash driving, resultant of a company's proclaimed policy, and that is why this thread is there. I too live in a place where this 30 min offer is not valid, but that is not the point I am trying to make. Just like the infamous Kerala buses, who have to get their timings stamped, these delivery boys are also in a hurry for a fault that may not be entirely theirs. My entire point, I say again, is that companies must not indulge in policies that encourage rash driving; and not stereotyping of any section of society.

It is also a fact that if a vehicle doesn't belong to you, you are more likely to misuse it. So is the case with delivery vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bivin (Post 1550988)
if they dont deliver it on time, the cost of the order is deducted from their salaries

Quote:

Originally Posted by achinthg (Post 1551489)
This is incorrect. Dominos do not deduct it from the delivery boy's salary. Last Sunday I was at Dominos and they had this written on their badges

Delivery boys are NOT employed by Dominos. So Dominos does not have significant control over this fact.

Actual operation is run by franchise.

Ground reality is, franchise owners do penalize delivery guys in case of late deliveries. What Dominos has written in contractual agreements does not always work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutsNBolts (Post 1552096)
Hi Pramod

I have not thought this topic out of my hat. I saw rash driving, resultant of a company's proclaimed policy, and that is why this thread is there. I too live in a place where this 30 min offer is not valid, but that is not the point I am trying to make. Just like the infamous Kerala buses, who have to get their timings stamped, these delivery boys are also in a hurry for a fault that may not be entirely theirs. My entire point, I say again, is that companies must not indulge in policies that encourage rash driving; and not stereotyping of any section of society.

It is also a fact that if a vehicle doesn't belong to you, you are more likely to misuse it. So is the case with delivery vehicles.

Got your point sorry for jumping to conclusions, now where is my puppy face when i need it.:D

Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1551082)
We are reasonably regular customers of Dominos - there is a disclaimer clearly on all their promotional material which says that this 30 min or free guarantee is not applicable in some areas and/ or during specific festival or celebration days in the year. In the case of apartments it is applicable at the first point of contact - building security and they also say that they dont penalize their delivery boys for non compliance with the guarantee.

I agree that the poor guys really have to run hard to meet the deadline sometimes especially in Bangalore which definitely leads to a certain number of accidents and possibly rash driving.

This is why when I order I always ask them to take their time - no hurry.

Also - I think everyone should tip the guy a reasonable amount - after all the Pizza's etc cost a lot and the typical bill comes to about 500 Rs - tipping Rs 30/- to the guy is not going to hurt anyone and will to some extent compensate him for having come and dropped off one's dinner at one's door step.

Thank you for offering a very valid point to this topic. This’s the other side of the coin, which the end users are contributing to by irresponsibly demanding delivery within 30 mins.
I've seen many of my colleagues abuse this offer without realizing that they too are contributing to this rash driving. Though, the delivery people are not penalized in terms of money, there're always that fear of being yelled at for not delivering with in 30 mins (this isn’t made up. I found this when I spoke to these delivery people, especially Dominos)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1551492)

Its so worded that even the guy who lives next door to Dominos, and gets his delivery late may not really get a free pizza. Curious to know - did anyone ever get a delivery late, and they voluntarily say "its free because I am late"?

This is more realistic... "Cold, unhealthy, greasy (but yummy) food at your door step, as fast as we can" :D
-Prasadee

The guys are invariably the same bunch who handle the outlet as well. That is at least the case for two Domino's outlets near my place.

I have somewhat befriended a few guys there by having a cheese burst pizza every 3-4 days. I asked him about it, he did not give me a clear answer but told me that the salary has nothing to do with it.

However these things are recorded and considered for incentive related perks.

Pizza hut, does not have a free offer. They give you a 50% off for the next purchase.

All delivery guys come 4-5 minutes after 30 minutes here. I rarely bug them about it.

Didn't Dominoes make an Ad on similar lines too. I would blame Dominoes for this nonsense.

We had Paresh Rawal trying to get a free Pizza by asking for delivery during heavy downpour, etc. So the delivery guy gets delayed and he gets the Pizza for free??

Stupid ad and the message was incorrect. And to top it they give a disclaimer.

I agree with Shankar Balan. I sometimes used to order Pizza for lunch (for 2-3 people) when I worked at our Bangalore office. It was always Pizza Corner, Brigade Road and our office is on Ulsoor Road, very close to them. Still I used to order at least an hour earlier, and would pointedly tell them to instruct the delivery boys to take it easy as I will not excercise the "30 minutes or free" option even if they were late. But it was not only the Pizza guys - many desi restaurants and biryani places (Nandhinee, Nagarjuna, Bheemas, you name it!) also had the same bike delivery system. The same scene prevails here at Chennai too.

I order Pizzas here too, but live in an area that is in the suburbs, so does not qualify for the 30 minute limit I believe!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe
I have somewhat befriended a few guys there by having a cheese burst pizza every 3-4 days.

That's close to 10 cheese burst pizzas a month. :eek: I treat myself to one thin crust pizza a month and I still can't seem to keep my weight in check. How do you manage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan
I think everyone should tip the guy a reasonable amount - after all the Pizza's etc cost a lot and the typical bill comes to about 500 Rs - tipping Rs 30 to the guy is not going to hurt anyone.

Doesn't everybody do this? Or am I in the minority by tipping 8-10%?

@Edsel Rulez

I have an insatiable appetite. ;)

Had one day before yesterday, having one this saturday too.

And yeah, everyone tips upto 10%. I however desist from a lot of tipping at restaurants as they already add service charges (~7-10%) to the bill.

Coming back to the issue... I don't see any reason they should take 30 minutes to get my Pizza. It takes around 15 minutes at max to prepare a cheese burst, and the outlet is barely a km away. I don't feel like being understanding whenever the guy gets late.

There is a Domino's outlet near my place and I pass it several times a day.

I see most of the delivery boys driving equally rash even on their way back to the outlet after delivering the pizza. :Frustrati

Obviously, most of them (not all of them, I am not generalising here) just like to drive rash to experience cheap thrills on the road and use the late delivery charge as an excuse for their lack of driving sense.

Slightly off the topic, but its nice to see so many Domino's lovers. Most of my friends prefer Pizza Hut, I'm the only one who prefers Domino's. The cheese burst pizza is to die for. :D

Rohan,
Bangalore

I was talking to a guy who works at Dominos while waiting for my order to get ready. He said Dominos is opening many outlets so as to ensure that they can deliver within 30 mins.