Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 13:24   #16
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Ego. Who the hell are you attitude. No awareness to law. Knowing that one can get away after committing mistakes on indian roads (even drunk drivers killing people on pavements are free, who'll catch me for overtaking from left?), Poor upbringing, Education reduced to just bagging degrees and not adding to learning or realisation and above all, CHALTA HAI attitude.
Pray that law enforcement should be proper. Apart from that what we can do is adhere to rules ourself and not join the hooligans out of frustration down the line....
Old 29th October 2009, 13:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Arvind, hats off to you patience, when ever i venture i come across quiet a few and oflate have seen the eductaed morons get into the stupid acts but i seriously dont have your patience.

Am sure these morons will never learn and will always feel that what they do is right! very sad state but i think its bound to get worse!
Old 29th October 2009, 13:29   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

While trying to correct other's traffic manners on roads, we come across various section of drivers/riders from a Truck, Bus, Taxi to the so called educated and over-hyped "Techies" (Thanks TOI for this classification that whenever a Techie gets looted or is involved with an accident He is Human only later and techie first I guess)

Especially for those trying to overtake from left or the morons who wont do beyond 20kmph on the rightmost lane, I try to give them a hint only to realise from them that "Baass, I put left Indicator to allow you to overtake (from left)" or "Saar, Can't you hear, I am honking (Give me way from left").

My wife always gets furious on "me" for getting involved with such kind of altercation with Indicabwallas or the Auto Doodes and tells me there is much of a difference in them and Me and I need to mind my own. But I have seen "Techies" too behaving no different from them.
Stopping at Hennur signal, an Indica (Not a cab) driver is merrily talking on the phone not realising that he was inching backwards to hit my front. I started honking continuously and rolled down and yelled with decent abuses (Eg: Owl in local lingo) when his car finally hits mine. I knew that the damage couldnt be anything more than a scratch but this chap with all gadgets hanging around his neck and a tag of a reputed MNC comes out and starts in the local lingo "Am I not educated and am I not supposed to behave like how I am dressed!!"

I knew the language much better and started giving him back telling it was mistake that he was on phone and also had not put his handbrakes ON and hence the collision.

I also gave him a piece of mind by telling him that the clothes I am wearing are my boss' gift on my B'day and I am his driver and I have no educational background. The guy simply walks back.

One thing I have realised it, instead of pointing their mistakes, its rather good to make your point with a bit of sarcasm and just move on.

For them to realise their mistakes, It is surely going to take ages!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th October 2009 at 13:30.
Old 29th October 2009, 13:36   #19
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

One thing I have realised it, instead of pointing their mistakes, its rather good to make your point with a bit of sarcasm and just move on.

Some how I beg to differ here sir. Either I ignore those morons completely or try to help them out stating it's a mistake. Let them take their time to realise. But I don't derive pleasure by sarcastic comments. I feel that even if I scream and yell at them, I need to point out that what they did was wrong, or just completely ignore and move ahead.

It all started when I was with a friend in his army vehicle as a small boy of 13 - 14 years. Some one cut the army vehicle and shot up front and the driver tried to teach the other guy a lesson by chasing him. My army friend just calmly asked the driver, what his work was. When the driver replied that he was a driver, the army person retorted, then please do that work. Leave correcting people to me.

It's been correct people or ignore. I've lost my cool and screamed at traffic violators too on a couple of occasions. But all in an effort to make them understand their mistakes!
Old 29th October 2009, 13:58   #20
BHPian

Have read about some deeper psychology at work in such cases which may be true. Driving a car and, especially, riding a bike are considered "manly" things. It is a matter of pride for most men to believe that they are good drivers/riders. When you point out a mistake to a guy on the road you are effectively telling him that he is not driving/riding well. That is often more difficult for many guys to accept than when their mistakes in other fields are pointed out.

I know it is that way with me - it is easier to take advice about improving my work product or feedback on mistakes at work. But I would take it much harder if I was told I had made a mistake on the road.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why it is so difficult to knock sense into cabbies and auto drivers. When you criticise the way they drive, you are criticising both their driving skills and the quality of their work.

Not saying women will be more willing to accept their mistakes or that they don't take pride in their driving - just talking about how many guys react in such cases.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I don't agree with this, mainly because of your next sentence!

Quote:
The EGO factor and the fact that India is a "free country" (people are free to do exactly what they want, when they want to do it) have made our roads a menace be it due to other vehicle drivers or pedestrians.

Combine that with people getting angry at anyone trying to correct them and you have a very combustible situation.

Guys on this thread who try and point out mistakes to others on the road, please consider yourselves lucky that you have not gotten involved in physical fights yet. I've read in papers of such fights leading to death of one or the other party due to such minor incidents. So please be safe.

I tend to just ignore people who drive/ride bad (there are too many) and try to avoid them putting me in a bad mood. I do not want to loose my temper and waste my breath on someone who will refuse to learn the message even if he understands it.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:03   #22
MCR
BHPian

There is no point in telling a person he has made a mistake. It will end up as a quarrel. Quarrel will end either with abusive words or street fight.

I have learnt the following lesson, very hard way:
1. Never talk to any person on the road, nor do stare at him if he maskes a mistake.
2. Donot get into a argument even if your vehicle is damaged. Just check your vehicle and move away. You cannot do anything more than this.
3. keep your thoughts to yourself. No point in giving your piece of mind.
4. Better not to talk with Auto / Indicab drivers. Most of them are not good souls.
5. If a person is driving rashly, then better move to side and give him space, this way the mental and physical damage is minimum.
6. Mental trauma is the most hard to overcome. Try to avoid this at any cost.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:08   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I would go a step forward and say almost 75% ( just a guess, could be more or could be less) or more bike riders dont know how to ride. They had some money and bought a bike on installment, bought a fancy helmet and get on it.

You know what most bikers do? Some of these just my observations:-

1. Overtake from left

2. Ride from right most side where cars are suppose to ply at the slowest possible speeds. They dont budge even if you honk

3. Maximum ride with a straight face. Meaning, they dont look left, right at all. I ride a bike and my head is constantly moving left, right and my peripheral vision also works overtime. Touchwood, despite years of fast bike riding within city, not a single fall and i owe this purely to keeping a 360 degrees view which is Plain lacking in bikers.

4. Squeeze into smallest of gaps and when stuck they don't accept its their fault. Ego working here

5. At the signal, they work their way in the traffic from left most side and somehow come to the front of the signal when its RED. When it turns GREEN, they ride off to a 180 degrees veering off towards utmost right since they have to go to RIGHT. Damn !!! This surprise manevour is guaranteed to unnerve the most distinguished and knowledagble road user

I can write a book on bad bikers and auto fellas, lets just say leave it at this and not break our head on them.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:46   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Some how I beg to differ here sir.

...But all in an effort to make them understand their mistakes!
Exactly the point, For me, I never started hurling abuses from day one while being a victim of other's mistakes. It was a cordial talk hinting them their mistakes but times do come when you are at the receiving end like the instances I have mentioned.

Yes, everytime I yell or scream, the aim remains the same for me too and for no reason I ever gained any pleasure from it. But, When you actually are at the receiving end for someone else's fault, it is obvious that we dont simply carry on but make it a point to take them to task.

After all, we also look for peace of mind in life and ensure that our loved cars/bikes are not hurt due to someone else's mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi
I don't agree with this, mainly because of your next sentence!
OK fine! who says we are born saints? I (rather WE) have had numerous instances with Ricks, Cars, Bikes, Buses and Taxis where trying to correct them has failed - Big time! and I am sure no everyone will take advices but most of them don't at all.

Sarcasm to me wouldnt mean exhibiting that part of your hand, or even laughing or making gestures but it can be as simple as not allowing someone to overtake from left when you are on left, Not overtaking any trucks & buses from left when he can always move to the left and give way. When he doesn't, just overtake him (from left now) and release the throttle slow him down and just move on. No abuses, no honking, no physical gestures as well. This Sarcasm!!!

These are just the daily examples and the list can go on.
Old 29th October 2009, 16:05   #25
BHPian

Offtopic. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Spitfire are you sure they were not Americans.
. Funniest thing I have read today.
Old 29th October 2009, 16:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ok This is a funny.

I was shopping in SN market in Delhi, after shoping we had to take one of those cross roads to reach the main road. We are almost at the main road and can see the traffic, the driver of an esteem which was parked on the sides of this road desides to take it out. the car in front of me manages go go but he is standing nose to nose with me, i thought he would reverse as i have come almost 80% of the road and i cannot reverse, there are 7-8 cars behind me.

This guy starts honking, it was funny, so i rolled down my window and asked him to go back pointing at the traffic behind me, no go, he will not budge. I got out of my car and i politly tapped on his window.

Dude is suited, looks well educated and is atleast 50. I told him in english "sir, there traffic is getting impacted please revrse."
Dude gets out of the car and says i have reversed enough today all of you go back. I looked at him and smiled and said all the 7-8 cars, he said yes. By this time all other cars started honking and some guys got down, I saw a fat sardar coming out of a zen, goes to this guy and starts abusing, then this sard get in this esteem and reverses it parks it in the middle of a busy main road and throws the key at him and says G$#% me dal le.

Pramod
Old 29th October 2009, 17:00   #27
Team-BHP Support

Its quite simple, the way i see it.

Those on the roads have either bought a vehicle, or else bought something in their life, which makes them a CUSTOMER. As you know, Customer is ALWAYS right. they dont like to be told as wrong.

A poor joke, i know.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

1. Because they think they know more than the other person.

2. They have more driving experience than the other person.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Ok This is a funny.

I saw a fat sardar coming out of a zen, goes to this guy and starts abusing, then this sard get in this esteem and reverses it parks it in the middle of a busy main road and throws the key at him and says G$#% me dal le.

Pramod
Too good

These morons deserved to be handled like this!!!
Old 29th October 2009, 17:23   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this sounds quite sad and defeatist.
i believe one should stand up for one's rights -albeit in a polite manner.

But given the current wave of parochial behaviour which is enveloping India, if one is from out of town and doesnt know the local language properly, it is better to shut up and leave before things turn dangerous or ugly.

but the fact is, the sinners will continue sinning and the meek still wont inherit the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
There is no point in telling a person he has made a mistake. It will end up as a quarrel. Quarrel will end either with abusive words or street fight.

I have learnt the following lesson, very hard way:
1. Never talk to any person on the road, nor do stare at him if he maskes a mistake.
2. Donot get into a argument even if your vehicle is damaged. Just check your vehicle and move away. You cannot do anything more than this.
3. keep your thoughts to yourself. No point in giving your piece of mind.
4. Better not to talk with Auto / Indicab drivers. Most of them are not good souls.
5. If a person is driving rashly, then better move to side and give him space, this way the mental and physical damage is minimum.
6. Mental trauma is the most hard to overcome. Try to avoid this at any cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks