Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2009, 16:08   #46
BHPian

^^ @ EssYouWe : It is possible Sir and happens daily.
You should drive on the W.E.H (western express highway) in Mumbai during peak evening hours, from say Andheri to Borivali.
Ppl on this route would understand what I am talking about.
You have 7 'automobile' lanes running parallel in a 4 lane road (that includes mostly cars, buses, trucks, autos, bikes, trailers and what not).
And yes at time the distance between 2 car OVRMs is 1 inch :d
Old 31st October 2009, 16:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
PS: No one drives just 1 inch away. It'd be impossible to maintain that distance. :P
This happens in Mumbai all the time, on most roads. I keep the HUGE ORVM's on my Wagon-R open all the time, never faced any problem. I tend to keep away from cars that have ORVM's closed - sign of a possible bad driver.
Old 31st October 2009, 17:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
PS: No one drives just 1 inch away. It'd be impossible to maintain that distance. :P
Hehe, not impossible for bengaluru autorickshaws and bikers with laptop bags which spell the name of some pretty who's who of the IT industry

mate, bangalore is one of a kind , and trying to put sense in anyone is like
Old 31st October 2009, 21:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
And could you please let me know the "technique" you use to take a 90 degree right turn, I mean which side of the road would you move to before and after taking the turn? How would you take a left turn on a road with no divider and still leave room for bikers to overtake you from the left , if you don't leave any space in this case, what would you do in case someone on a bike/autorickshaw tried to overtake you from the left while your turning ?
There are two things that i have observed regarding bike and autos behaviour on bangalore road
1. When your vehicle is stationary or at very low speeds say on a signal people do attempt to move ahead and in the process come really close very often. Exactly why i keep left ORVM closed and do not leave space in right between my car and the divider. However people generally dont come so close when on the move. The only caution is needed when one is starting to move. So at that time i take a good look around and take a delayed start in case there are bikers in close proximity to enable them to move ahead
2. When you are on the move and say taking right and someone wants to overtake you from left to take a U turn the precedence is taken by the vehicle which has its nose ahead and not always the vehicle on the right.

I keep these two points in mind, it might take a fraction longer but then i love my car just too much as well

Long reply but hope i answered your query

Last edited by shk_24 : 31st October 2009 at 21:22.
Old 31st October 2009, 22:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
^^ @ EssYouWe : It is possible Sir and happens daily.
You should drive on the W.E.H (western express highway) in Mumbai during peak evening hours, from say Andheri to Borivali.
Ppl on this route would understand what I am talking about.
You have 7 'automobile' lanes running parallel in a 4 lane road (that includes mostly cars, buses, trucks, autos, bikes, trailers and what not).
And yes at time the distance between 2 car OVRMs is 1 inch :d

Oh okay!

Most of my driving experience is Delhi based. Although, I have driven a bit in Pune as well.

I can't drive without my right ORVM, but the left stays snug close to the car. :P

I guess at these times the speeds are slow? Right? In such a case a collision would require quite some effort.

Not to say that it does not happen... Just that the other guy would have to be tremendously under-gifted to get it done.

I drive a Zen, perhaps my blind spot isn't as large as a lot of other cars. I do fidget around a lot to get a view of the back though.

Best solution IMO is to just drive smooth.
Old 31st October 2009, 23:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand_Russel
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are always cocksure and the intelligent are always filled with doubt.
This dude was way ahead of you guys
Old 31st October 2009, 23:34   #52
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
When the driver replied that he was a driver, the army person retorted, then please do that work. Leave correcting people to me.
Hmm. Didn't realize it was the work of army people to correct others.
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Hmm. Didn't realize it was the work of army people to correct others.
It certainly is not their job. Whatever Little knowlwdge i have of the forces is that there is a Heirarchy and in most cases the driver is a jawan and till the time a Ofiicer is sitting beside Him he has no other business, other than driving the vehicle unless told otherwise by the officer.

Thats What MX6 might have intended to convey in my opinion.

To elaborate i would give an example of what happened with my Brother a couple of months back in delhi

My Brother was taking some Jawans for a routine firing practice at the NSG firing range in Manesar. He was riding upfront In the Truck (Stallion)
While going towards saket in delhi from Khanpur.

It was peak traffic in the morning and the truck was in the left most lane suddenly a santro manages to squeze into whatever little space there is in the left and tries to cut in front of the truck but Alas in vain he miscalculates and ends up scratching the rear right door on the front Bumper of the stallion Its a minor scratch. Uncleji gets out so does the driver an My Brother Then the Uncleji goes ballastic the driver keeps quiet.
My brother Politely tells the uncle that it was his fault and that he was cutting in an he was overtaking from the wrong side. Uncle looks at him an says that I am not talking to You am talking to the driver so let him speak, To which my brother retorted that till the time I am standing here he will not say a word till he is told to do so!

Then the usual delhi scene where almost anybody is a somebody who has conatcts he starts threating them with dire consequences since he knows people from the ministry of defence, since my brother is in Uniform he does not have the liberties i have of dealing with such Nut cases .Uncle ji calls the cops and when the cops tell him its his fault After wasting 30 minutes he pushes off and politely tells my brother "Had u said sorry in the first place things would not have come to this" An the look on my brothers face was Priceless!
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Uncle ji calls the cops and when the cops tell him its his fault After wasting 30 minutes he pushes off and politely tells my brother "Had u said sorry in the first place things would not have come to this" An the look on my brothers face was Priceless!
The cops told whom it was their fault? They told your brother, or Uncle ji?I didn't quite gather this from your statement.
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
The cops told whom it was their fault? They told your brother, or Uncle ji?I didn't quite gather this from your statement.
Sorry forgot to mention it they told uncleji it was his fault.
Old 3rd November 2009, 05:04   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post

No mate - its not frustration, its just that most people in Bangalore get their licenses through agents and dont know anything about driving other than the "technique" of moving the car from point A to point B ! The main cause is the lack of education, etiquette and respect for other road users .
You are absolutely right.!!!!

The worst road users in Bangalore are the Bus drivers, Autos drivers & Bike riders in that order.
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:26   #57
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Born to be wild. Yes that's what one of what I tried to state. They are hierarchical. Apart from this, I'd rather have the educated army person do the teaching than any other tom, dick and harry. Basically they are disciplined and follow rules. So it's not only that they are right in teaching, they also need to take leadership in this. It could be inspiring.
Old 4th November 2009, 03:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@Born to be wild. Yes that's what one of what I tried to state. They are hierarchical. Apart from this, I'd rather have the educated army person do the teaching than any other tom, dick and harry. Basically they are disciplined and follow rules. So it's not only that they are right in teaching, they also need to take leadership in this. It could be inspiring.
+1 to that!
My father-in-law is a retd Colonel from the Indian Army.Having served for more than 30 years,he's a person to look upto when it comes to things requiring discipline et al.! He has had numerous experiences where he's had to put a civilian (or two) in his/her respective places. Especially after moving to B'lore,he's had a tough time dealing with people, and strongly feels that the Central Govt. should get the Army to deal with the traffic situation in India. I kinda found it funny at first, bringing the Army in to deal with morons on the street (unlike the other situations where they'r usually brought in to deal with a calamity or disaster), but then on serious thoughts that would take care of things and make each & every person a commuter with more sense & understanding!
Old 4th November 2009, 13:29   #59
BHPian

Quote:
The other thing that bugs me is people using the high beam in the city. Keep gesticulating to get them to use a low beam... But would they? NO!

I have never been able to use the night rear view mirror. They just add to the discomfort of driving.
This is a regular problem all over india. people drive with high beam all the time.
Old 4th November 2009, 14:35   #60
BHPian

Even cars not execeptional . I have seen many cars overtaking from left on my way to office.Also 80% 2 wheelers ans rickshaws overtake through left.I dont know how many hours these guys can save by this hurry

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks