Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 01:01   #181
BHPian

Please figure out from IRDA what is the normal time for resolution of such a case by the insurer and if the same is over then report your case to IRDA.

Dont stop the EMIs as it will spoil your credit rating.

Sorry if the first point is repeated as I went through the whole thread in a hurry.
Old 21st February 2011, 19:49   #182
BHPian

re: Driver beaten and car stolen at Panvel! EDIT: Legal Opinion Needed

@Amit: Did the issue get resolved satisfactorily?
Old 21st February 2011, 20:55   #183
Senior - BHPian

no not at all.

the case was with Ombudsman.

during the hearing the ombudsman was favoring me and shouted at the icici people.

icici had provided rubbish documents and had no proofs. so case was totally against them.

they asked us to go and said i will receive the award letter in a weeks time.

but when i received the letter after almost 2 months after taking rigorous follow up with the ombudsman i was shocked to see that he has said that they cannot intervene.

the fact is ombudsman office people are mixed up with insurance companies and they get their shares.

i had already smelled foul when i saw the way the ICICI representative was interacting with the office people and how they were shaking hands and having snacks and tea and all.

i have lost all faith in ombudsman too.

now i am planning to launch a case in consumer court.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 21st February 2011 at 20:57.
Old 21st February 2011, 21:06   #184
Senior - BHPian

wow, that really says a lot about how low people have stooped in order to get their work done. Nowadays, it is more about looking out for each others interest than outright bribes (who knows that may be happening too). It really is a pathetic state of affairs
I feel bad for your situation and hope you get redressal in the consumer court at least. The system is nowadays really testing the patience of the ordinary tax paying citizen.
Old 21st February 2011, 21:18   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
wow, that really says a lot about how low people have stooped in order to get their work done. Nowadays, it is more about looking out for each others interest than outright bribes (who knows that may be happening too). It really is a pathetic state of affairs
I feel bad for your situation and hope you get redressal in the consumer court at least. The system is nowadays really testing the patience of the ordinary tax paying citizen.
+1 To that. Even I feel the same way and we are heading for anarchy if things are going to be like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
no not at all.

the case was with Ombudsman.

during the hearing the ombudsman was favoring me and shouted at the icici people.

icici had provided rubbish documents and had no proofs. so case was totally against them.

they asked us to go and said i will receive the award letter in a weeks time.

but when i received the letter after almost 2 months after taking rigorous follow up with the ombudsman i was shocked to see that he has said that they cannot intervene.

the fact is ombudsman office people are mixed up with insurance companies and they get their shares.

i had already smelled foul when i saw the way the ICICI representative was interacting with the office people and how they were shaking hands and having snacks and tea and all.

i have lost all faith in ombudsman too.

now i am planning to launch a case in consumer court.
I am really shocked to hear this Amit, your judgement can be true. This country is going the way of Greece. In my opinion if people dont do something soon and fight against the corrupt, We will be where Greece is in 5-10 years time. The authorities down south in our part of the nation is still pretty much fair. I just won a case against a Hotel who took us for a ride. The award is not much, But I only needed to kick them around a little and humiliate them in the media. It took me close to three years to get an award though. Its normal here as we have a lot of consumer cases filed every single day. Hope you get justice Amit. P.M me if you need any help with any legal issues.

Mods please note: I accidently made two posts by multi quoting somehow, Could you please make them into one?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th February 2011 at 17:46. Reason: Merging posts
Old 21st February 2011, 21:57   #186
Senior - BHPian

thanks man. you have always helped me with your expertise.

somewhere in my mind i have a feeling that i have already lost my 3 lac rs.

however i just want to give it another chance.

by the way can you give me a rough idea how much do i need to pay a lawyer for cases like this.

i am asking coz i need to decide how much more i should spend.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:21   #187
BHPian

Amit, I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with the ombudsman. Up till now, I had a high opinion of that body but now it looks like I was mistaken.
Wishing you the very best of luck with the consumer case.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:33   #188
BHPian

Amit, as you will have to move to the consumer forum for this dispute. Do not hesitate in escalating this collusion to the IRDA, I see details of governing council in the bottom of list of ombudsman offices in IRDA's website. I think you should inform them about this incident.
Old 24th February 2011, 18:32   #189
BHPian

Quote:
thanks man. you have always helped me with your expertise.

somewhere in my mind i have a feeling that i have already lost my 3 lac rs.

however i just want to give it another chance.

by the way can you give me a rough idea how much do i need to pay a lawyer for cases like this.

I really cant guess what a lawyer might cost in your area. It also depends from person to person. You can always meet a lawyer in your vicinity with some good track record and ask him about all, Including his fees. I work at an associated office and none of us have any problem telling our clients about the costs involved. We also always give them the right to chose whether to go ahead or to back out.

Also when you go and file a case at a Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, Remember that there is always two more higher Appellant Forums for either of the parties. That is the State Commission and the National Commission.

The time for you to get a verdict will be anything upwards of a year at the least, and that would be at the Lower forum. And this time delay is why I advised you to go to the Ombudsman. But sadly that has backfired and has not yielded any results. I really feel sorry.
jalex77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2011, 19:06   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think much can be done here. Reason is:

1. 3 - 4 years time interval for district/state and national forums. Case would case would be escalated to higher commission if decided in your favor.

2. Report that says drive accepted money to let someone ride in the car. This is an exclusion in policies and would be used to prolong the case and to escalate the cost for you.
Old 25th February 2011, 22:46   #191
BHPian

Hi
I am sorry to see the sorry state of affairs you are facing. I have refused anything and everything from ICICI right from the first bad experience with their credit card 6 years back and from that point i stayed away from them. But every organization has its share of incompetent people who eat their food by prying it out of other peoples mouth. I hope you will have a satisfactory respose soon. My moto is to fight it out to the end and whatever the outcome accept and move on. Cheers mate.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 21:37   #192
BHPian

Quote:

Amit, I know this is very late in asking.
Can you update what finally happened?
Old 23rd September 2018, 21:52   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Amit, I know this is very late in asking.
Can you update what finally happened?
The car was never found, ombudsmen are in liason with big insurance providers like icici, I have all reasons to believe that they get handsome bribes.
Due to this the ombudsman who gave us great hopes and spoke on behalf of us took a complete u turn and sent me a mail that he can't interfere and I can go to consumer Court for further appeals.
I gave it up
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 09:29   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car was never found, ombudsmen are in liason with big insurance providers like icici, I have all reasons to believe that they get handsome bribes.
Due to this the ombudsman who gave us great hopes and spoke on behalf of us took a complete u turn and sent me a mail that he can't interfere and I can go to consumer Court for further appeals.
I gave it up
Just read your entire thread for the first time and it makes me feel extremely disappointed that the laws in our country are only on paper. If reason beyond your control, like driver accepting a drop, could be a dealbreaker in the event of a claim, then the insurance company should also start offering certified chauffeur services. In fact I would not be surprised if some wise man reads this post and floats this idea of an additional add on.
We all take insurance back up for events that are out of our control. And it pains to see them harass a customer when its their turn to honour the deal.
The moral fibre is lacking. Be it the company, cops or that driver who out of his greed made you suffer this loss. I would have filed a complaint against him in such a scenario and let him suffer the same mental and financial agony that he made me go through.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed