Team-BHP - Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/68789-traffic-life-roads-chennai-10.html)

Quote:

Till about a year back we had two tyraffic mad spots - in front of the airport and at kathipara. Things were a breeze after the airport and Kathipara flyovers opened up, but the relief has proved short lived.
Just what I was thinking as I read your post. Let's hope it doesn't go on for years...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 2051128)
Today I spent 40 minutes to reach my office (Spic Centre) from Kathipara.

Gansan sir, do you know the side effect of this? Traffic is breeze after BPCL & Wipro office after the bridge AND its also breeze after the Harsha Toyota showroom. The one & only reason why I find the traffic to be jamming is because of "ME FIRST" attitude :Frustrati. I'm witnessing this for over a month now on this stretch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 2051128)
Metro rail work has started full swing between Little Mount and Guindy flyover, as well as in front of the Toyota showroom, the point where you exit from the kathipara flyover. Another spot is right in front of Mount post office.

Gansan, we have been facing these developmental changes in the P.H.Road (Koyambedu) for the last 6 years. First it was the GQ, now the flyover and the elevated expressway and the metro. Wonder when all this will end.

A friend at office told me the entire stretch from Guindy flyover to little Mount will be made one way shortly - similar to what exists between Halda junction and little Mount. In the return direction it seems one will have to go up to Raj Bhavan, turn left at velachery junction and take the racecourse road towards kathipara. Don't know what snarl-ups this will cause as and when implemented!

The traffic cops are catching hold of overspeeding vehicles on the ECR (After the toll road, somewhere near VGP). Defaulters apparently will be relieved of Rs 400. It goes up to Rs 1000 if you are caught driving over 100 km/hr. Be careful on that stretch, I've seen numerous vehicles get caught there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 2051458)
A friend at office told me the entire stretch from Guindy flyover to little Mount will be made one way shortly - similar to what exists between Halda junction and little Mount. In the return direction it seems one will have to go up to Raj Bhavan, turn left at velachery junction and take the racecourse road towards kathipara. Don't know what snarl-ups this will cause as and when implemented!

I am scared to even think of this. There is already a lot of traffic pile up at the junction where you turn towards race course. :Shockked:

Today I saw a notice board on the Porur highway stating that the ongoing bridge construction at Porur junction is expected to get over by somewhere during mid or post mid of 2011. What a comedy? I'll try to grab a pic tomorrow on the notice board & post it here. Let us see how many years this is going to complete. So until that time, we've to bear with the traffic jam at Porur signal. What's more disappointing is that, I noticed the traffic jam happening even during the non peak hours, i.e. around 4:15 PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 2051458)

If this happens am sure it would take 1hr to cross guindy from raj bhavan.BTW why is it so? due to Metro rail?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels (Post 2051915)
The traffic cops are catching hold of overspeeding vehicles on the ECR (After the toll road, somewhere near VGP). Defaulters apparently will be relieved of Rs 400. It goes up to Rs 1000 if you are caught driving over 100 km/hr. Be careful on that stretch, I've seen numerous vehicles get caught there.

their usual place is after VGP and after Mayajaal where the traffic reduces and road opens up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2053294)
Today I saw a notice board on the Porur highway stating that the ongoing bridge construction at Porur junction is expected to get over by somewhere during mid or post mid of 2011. What a comedy? I'll try to grab a pic tomorrow on the notice board & post it here. Let us see how many years this is going to complete. So until that time, we've to bear with the traffic jam at Porur signal. What's more disappointing is that, I noticed the traffic jam happening even during the non peak hours, i.e. around 4:15 PM.

Aargee, with elections in few years it is possible:) ,who know it might be opened for pongal !

Same with Maduravoyal and Koyambedu flyovers already half is open to public

This morning, I witnesses an accident opposite to temple steps building on Mount road when coming from Guindy towards Saidapet.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-ac1.jpg

The incident happens as per the above pics, where, the yellow color represents my WagonR. The biker P take wrong way from left to right & did not notice biker H appproaching. Probably my WagonR was hiding his vision or biker H was too fast to notice. On any case, biker P was doing a wrong way. I was cursing myself for such morons & immediately what I see is biker H falling down. Not sure if H was doing a hard braking & slipped (thanks to rains) or P knocked out H.

As I was already was fuming inside against such people, I pulled over. By now, both these guys were pulled over from the road towards the BPCL petrol bunk. I wanted to give a mouthful to biker P, but gave a good dose in controlled manner.

Biker P was explaining that he was coming diagonally & using indicators - the morons justification :Frustrati. I kept reminding him numerous times that he was coming in wrong way to which his vaccum head was not accepting.

Anyway, biker H was not much injured except that there was a very minor injury at his mouth. I provided him some first aid & cotton. Though I wanted to really teach biker P a lesson, but then, I moved on.

Guys, just be careful at this junction as there's a fuel station & there're morons coming in wrong way to fill in petrol & argue that they are using indicators. Oh!!! and another point to add, those morons also argue that they need to go all way upto Saidapet & Velachery due to one way to come back to this junction for fuelling. What all excuses!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshguy (Post 2053417)
Aargee, with elections in few years it is possible:) ,who know it might be opened for pongal !
Same with Maduravoyal and Koyambedu flyovers already half is open to public

Yes, I've to agree with you in terms of elections. Sad state. After elections we'll come to know on the sad state of these constructions.

Maduravoyal bridge is operational, with some minor work in progress still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2053666)
Biker P was explaining that he was coming diagonally & using indicators - the morons justification :Frustrati.

Yeah! the bikers in Chennai are a rare breed. They rarely use indicators and when they do use it they expect everybody around to give way because they used indicators. The other day a 2 wheeler crashes into my car's front left fender as I was negotiating those silly barricades before the Kannagi nagar junction in OMR (towards Perungudi) at 6:30 PM. His argument: he had switched on his indicators as he was level with me. How am I even supposed to know he is going to cross across when I cannot see his indicators as they are not at my eye level?
Have you guys noticed that it is only in Chennai that
1. All autos have the RVM fitted from inside. They change the factory fitting from outside to inside making them oblivious to traffic around them. Wonder how RTO overlook this, during FC inspection.
2. most 2 wheelers have their RVM removed. The ones that have do not know how to use it save for very few of them who are sensible in their traffic manners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWind (Post 2053906)
How am I even supposed to know he is going to cross across when I cannot see his indicators as they are not at my eye level?

So how did you deal with that guy?

Quote:

Wonder how RTO overlook this, during FC inspection.

All of a sudden, their vehicles gets changed to every single rule of RTO :D; otherwise the driving school does it for them.

Quote:

2. most 2 wheelers have their RVM removed. The ones that have do not know how to use it save for very few of them who are sensible in their traffic manners.

Absolutely true; why along two-wheelers? Most cars drive with folded ORVM; I think they mock at cars who have open ORVM stating they don't know how to drive :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2053924)
Absolutely true; why along two-wheelers? Most cars drive with folded ORVM; I think they mock at cars who have open ORVM stating they don't know how to drive :Frustrati

Last Sunday I was proceeding from the Thillai Ganga Nagar subway towards Nanganallur in the morning to attend a function. At one point there is a construction site, there was a mound of sand on the road to my left, and a pothole in the centre of the road a little to my front. Just as I prepared to make a small move to avoid the pothole, I noticed a Swift guy coming in the opposite direction. Knowing I will come to the pothole first, he still increased speed and swerved to his right to get past the spot before me! I could not move further left because of the sand and held my course, reducing speed. There was a "thwack" noise as he passed me and I saw my right RVM fold close to the body. His RVM had hit mine as he passed! Expecting the worst, I opened the window and unfolded the RVM, but nothing had happened - it had simply folded up.

Anyway mine was just the normal Rs 175.00 RVM and his were body coloured. Hopefully his RVM had also simply folded without breakage, and he will be more careful in future.

Quote:

So how did you deal with that guy?

Could not do much, except tell him how helpless I was in not being able to see his indicators and predict where he was going. I had another incident there and did not want a repeat. At that time it was my fault, I jumped the signal because a bus was taking an U turn hiding the signal (which is there only on right hand side of road unlike elsewhere) , followed a MTC volvo bus without being aware that the signal had turned red and ended up honking at a two-wheeler rider. It is Monday morning rush hour (around 8:30 ish) and he let out his frustration on me by hurling obscenities, grabbing my shirt and tie (I wear a tie to office) and man-handled me. I had to apologize and loose a lot of time pacifying him, myself and go to office in a bad mood

Quote:

All of a sudden, their vehicles gets changed to every single rule of RTO :D; otherwise the driving school does it for them

But do driving schools cater to autos as well? I though the autos had a union, and an agent who liaises with RTO for them.no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWind (Post 2054428)
At that time it was my fault...I had to apologize and loose a lot of time pacifying him, myself and go to office in a bad mood

Man, you handled it well; If I were you, I would've apologized once or twice & after that, I would give my car's number & ask him to lodge a complaint & leave the place. I know they wouldn't because, if they go to police station, they'll be directed either to Guindy or Poonamalle for Traffic Investigation department. So all the way, this guy should travel from OMR upto Guindy to lodge an FIR.

But anyway, as you said about Volvo, it had happened to me once at Anna University signal. I checked the signal to be green from distance & kept following MTC. However that moron jumped the signal & I notice it only after crossing. After that I vowed that I'll never assume the signals to be green & never follow someone blindly. I personally check the signal & only then I cross.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWind (Post 2054428)
But do driving schools cater to autos as well? I though the autos had a union, and an agent who liaises with RTO for them.no?

Well, I intent to mean this. But again, the union either contacts a driving school near RTO or usual tauts.

If one is coming from Guindy bridge side to Saidapet, stick to the left extreme. That metro contstruction comes up blindly without any warning. I have seen many cars and bikes get confused there and even saw an Alto running into the barricade when it was under pressure from a bus behind.