Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2013, 12:18   #1546
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Unfortunately, guys like that think they are clever. They probably imagine that they are driving on a film set, not a real road.
Quote:
If you come across a signal that most people do not bother to respect, before stopping for the red-light, it would help to move out of the way of speeding vehicles that don't intend to stop.
It makes sense to not be in the firing line. Even in a car it can be scary.
Old 19th February 2013, 19:31   #1547
Senior - BHPian

@SupremeBaleno je - So, you're suggesting me to stay practical? Hmm...which is what I was thinking that I should be doing...follow the crowd.

Basically, you're asking me to turn into a "perfect" Indian :(
Old 20th February 2013, 12:06   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@SupremeBaleno je - So, you're suggesting me to stay practical? Hmm...which is what I was thinking that I should be doing...follow the crowd.

Basically, you're asking me to turn into a "perfect" Indian :(
Even i will say the same, Better 'adjust'. if we stick on rigid law abiding person on road, we will end up having trouble most of the time. I for one started being so called 'practical' on road for quite sometime.

But the problem is our kids are seeing us, they gona follow us for sure and do this in a meaner mightier future machines which will be a disaster.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 01:09   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Found this video on facebook, a nice initiative from Chennai City Traffic Police.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 21st February 2013, 10:00   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
@SupremeBaleno - So, you're suggesting me to stay practical? Hmm...which is what I was thinking that I should be doing...follow the crowd. Basically, you're asking me to turn into a "perfect" Indian :(
Well, I am not saying that you give up your principles and do what the crowd does. Just that you ensure you are safe while following your principles. That way you do not feel bad about not following the rules and at the same time are not at risk. Basically being selective about the course of action to be followed based on the circumstances.
1) You are approaching a junction and see the light turning red as you approach. There is no one behind you. You coast to a stop and wait for the green-light irrespective of whether others do or not.

2) Now in above situation, if there is an MTC bus barrelling just behind you, honking away like crazy, you either move to the side and stop (if possible) or drive on even though this might mean breaking the signal. Because no red-light is more important than your life.

3) Or if the MTC is a bit behind you, you move to the side and stop and let him break the signal.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 11:24   #1551
BHPian

Been here in chennai for around 15 years. Traffic seems a little more disciplined these days except for these annoying pulsar 150, apache rtr 160 driving maniacs( i drive a 150 myself, albeit a little sensibly) who think
that the road is a race course and try to fit in gaps where walking would be difficult. Half the time pedestrians end up in the middle of the road with these idiot bikers on the sidewalks. Thats the reason i made it a point to give way to these lunatics even though i am really experienced on the roads. No use of taking risks. I just wish the government began regulating these autowallahs. Half the time they end up driving like Schumacher in their autos. Cabbies are next to Ken Block, crazy turns and lane cutting. These guys deserve to be given awards for their incredible driving skill .
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:49   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, I am not saying that you give up your principles and do what the crowd does. Just that you ensure you are safe while following your principles. That way you do not feel bad about not following the rules and at the same time are not at risk. Basically being selective about the course of action to be followed based on the circumstances.
1) You are approaching a junction and see the light turning red as you approach. There is no one behind you. You coast to a stop and wait for the green-light irrespective of whether others do or not.

2) Now in above situation, if there is an MTC bus barrelling just behind you, honking away like crazy, you either move to the side and stop (if possible) or drive on even though this might mean breaking the signal. Because no red-light is more important than your life.

3) Or if the MTC is a bit behind you, you move to the side and stop and let him break the signal.
I agree with supremeBaleno - one has to be aware of what is behind you and decide accordingly. Its easy to say always follow the rule - however move out of the way and let the MTC or company bus/Lorry go ahead.
Old 23rd February 2013, 08:55   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now in above situation, if there is an MTC bus barrelling just behind you, honking away like crazy, you either move to the side and stop (if possible) or drive on even though this might mean breaking the signal. Because no red-light is more important than your life.

Many a time what works is slowing atleast 100m before the traffic or approaching the light reducing the speed. Giving time for the bus to brake. I always approach a traffic junction which now has timers by the way (and if i see count down from 8) i basically start slowing atleast 100m before the lights. I am giving space for myself to control the speed of the traffic behind me and not braking hard just before the signal.

Most of the time we just try to speed as we see 5 or below. I do exactly the opposite.

Secondly i am always stopping at a distance in front of me first. Aim to save the front end of the car if at some jerk forgets to brake. I have no worries of someone honking to fill that gap.

It may irritate people but i know they will move on once the signal is green.

We just need to be patient in the first place to begin with.

But if you followed all and are already at a stand still and MTC is charging, just hope your day is good and expect some sanity rather pray for some sanity to prevail beyond that point.
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:42   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Giving time for the bus to brake...
You would be right, assuming the bus-driver intends to brake. But forget braking when the timer is still a few seconds to red, they wont brake/stop even for a red signal. I would not risk the bootilicious-rear of my Baleno, assuming an MTC driver intends to go by the signal, which I know in 90% of the cases, is not what he has in mind.
And when on a bike, I would scoot for life.
Old 25th February 2013, 10:31   #1555
BHPian

OT

Chennai has been ranked the Best City in India by India Today.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/e.../1/251353.html
Old 25th February 2013, 12:01   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
OT

Chennai has been ranked the Best City in India by India Today.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/e.../1/251353.html
Firstpost has a rebuttal up as well:

http://www.firstpost.com/india/chenn...us-638054.html

Personally, I'd put Hyderabad at No. 1 and Chennai at 2. Though the Hyderabad I know is pre-2010.

The FP author says Chennai doesn't deserve this ranking because "the city fails clearly in transport and public services and entertainment". The last of the three is the easiest to disregard - to the author, entertainment means availability of Smirnoff vodka in bars. Of the remaining two, I don't see a clear winner or loser among Hyderabad, Chennai and Bangalore.
Old 25th February 2013, 14:05   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Firstpost has a rebuttal up as well:

http://www.firstpost.com/india/chenn...us-638054.html

Personally, I'd put Hyderabad at No. 1 and Chennai at 2. Though the Hyderabad I know is pre-2010.

The FP author says Chennai doesn't deserve this ranking because "the city fails clearly in transport and public services and entertainment". The last of the three is the easiest to disregard - to the author, entertainment means availability of Smirnoff vodka in bars. Of the remaining two, I don't see a clear winner or loser among Hyderabad, Chennai and Bangalore.
OT

Ah! Every city will have its own haters. Let us not delve into their opinions. Almost everyone will agree that India Today is a well respected and credible News House, so that is the reason I posted the detail here.

I've been to the following cities and each has its own uniqueness.

Mumbai - As they say, this city never sleeps. A big massive city, Very vibrant.

Delhi - This city is very similar to Mumbai. Very vibrant too.

Bangalore - Has a lovely weather, a lot of skyscrapers everywhere. In comparison with other cities, it has not so good infrastructure. This city is kind of loud and flashy.

Chennai - Horrible weather. Not many skyscrapers to boast of, but that is a good thing in a lot of ways. I feel this city has a soul. Unlike all other Indian cities, except probably Kolkata, this city is almost fully built by the aboriginals. So as mentioned somewhere in the article posted, most people here have a large family of friends. In fact the whole city is kind of a family.
Old 28th February 2013, 19:39   #1558
Senior - BHPian

^^^I guess the liking for a city increases with the time spent there. Having spent 2+ decades in Chennai and having done short stints in most of the bigger cities of India, Chennai would rate at the top for me. And while we might sweat it out in summer, in many ways it is actually good that the weather here is crappy. Imagine how many more people would have made Chennai their home if the weather was like B'lore - imagine the traffic & extra demand on infrastructure ? And while we complain of lack of rains, imagine how the roads/traffic would have been if it had even 1% of the Kerala rains.

BTW, is it just me or have you guys also noticed some special checking at various junctions by cops this week in the late evenings ? On the route I take home, I see them stopping cars/cabs under the flyover near Kamakshi hospital, then at the place where the road under the Velacheri flyover meets GST road (just off OTA) and then at the Ashok Pillar roundtana. What I could not make out is the criteria for stopping the cars. Eg yesterday I saw them flag a cab at KamakshiHosp and let a Logan go. Then just as the Logan passes by, another cop shouts out for the Logan driver to stop with other cops joining him, but he nonchalantly drives on (am sure he could see them hailing him in his RVM).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th February 2013 at 19:43.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 20:03   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, is it just me or have you guys also noticed some special checking at various junctions by cops this week in the late evenings ?
High Alert/terror attack warning has been issued by IB and R&AW to certain southern states and in particular chennai/madurai and certain other landmarks are said to be under threat! Hence this heightened alert status. Also, to add recent Hyd blasts, they are trying to keep track of movement of people around the borders and in cities. Now don't ask me if the terrorists would move only in the late evenings, probably Police expects them to come out for a short evening walk

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 28th February 2013 at 20:05.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 23:42   #1560
BHPian

Yesterday and today I saw this at Vijayanagar signal junction, coming from byepass. Police were walking between vehicles specially bikes and checking, as though looking for some one
BTW few gutters/ potholes are filled with bitumen in velachery main road- dont know how, but some others are still unattended as well. And...! Still no respite at the above mentioned signal.!

Most Viewed