Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 22:08   #1591
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
I think it is time we started investing in dash mounted cameras as they do in Russia. I think going forward we are also moving forward to situation in Russia where everyone takes care of only themselves and does not trust Law Enforcement to help them out.
Video is not accepted as evidence in Indian courts. Heresy from a lawyer friend.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 00:41   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
Wanted to report an incident of absolutely disgusting behaviour of Chennai cops that I encountered today.

I was driving back home after work, cruising at just about 40, listening to Ilaiyaraja melodies on the stereo and really enjoying the drive. I was approaching the Harrington Road junction from Sterling Road. The road ahead of me was clear and I was aware that a Scorpio was tailing me both of us doing speeds of 40 only. The signal was green as I passed it and turned to amber "AFTER" i crossed the stop line. However, before I could cross the entire section onto the road leading to Chetpet bridge, a group of 10-12 pedestrians started crossing over from Harrington Road side onto Spur Tank Road a good 20 metres from the stop line. Since I noticed them coming from a distance and since I was at 40, I stopped and allowed them to cross. The Scorpio pulled alongside my car and stopped as well and only now did the signal turn red. 2 cops came over, one to my car and another to the Scorpio and asked us to pull over to the side. The Scorpio driver pretended to pull over but gave the cop the finger and drove away after hurling abuses at him. As a dumb law abiding citizen, I was caught with the cops...2 constables and a sergeant who claimed that I crossed the stop line when the signal was red. I was LIVID as all 3 of them clearly saw the signal turning red only after I stopped to let the pedestrians cross. No amount of convincing those guys helped as they were determined to make money out of me. Left with no option and no passersby who had witnessed the incident I had to concede to them and pay a fine of Rs.500 for which they issued a challan as well stating stop line violation. They didnt give me an option to take the challan and pay in the mobile court as well and said I could not move my car without paying.

While handing over the money and taking the challan, I told them on their faces that the criminals in chennai were nowhere else but right at traffic signals waiting to take innocent law abiding citizens for a ride. The sergeant, with impunity asked me to take the challan and leave else he would issue another challan for dangerous and rash driving

A great day ended on a sour note and I am left fuming at the turn of events.

Are we at the mercy of these rogues in police uniform ? Isnt there anything at all that we can do ???
Bad incident - At what time was this ?

Also going by the official fine list it should be only Rs 100 for a stop line violation not 500. See here
http://www.echallan.net/files/spot-f...&%20amount.pdf

There is one thing we can do - if you have the time and patience - pull over by the side and refuse to pay for no fault of yours. If they are out to make a quick buck and not fill their quota then the just asking for a receipt itself
will usually make them ask you to leave. When trying to fill their quota of fines they do such stupid stuff and for that we have to be prepared and informed and show them the link to the fines.
Old 14th March 2013, 07:55   #1593
BHPian

@sjcherian : It was around 8.30 p.m. He actually gave me a challan for Rs.500 which I assumed was for a stop line violation. But seeing your post, I'm not too sure what he challaned me for as I threw the challan back at him in a fit of rage. My mistake....should have checked. Could it have been for jumping a red light ?,
Old 14th March 2013, 10:58   #1594
BHPian

Usually when they challan for any single behaviour they challan for extra things as well. In your case you could have challaned for Jumping Red Light + Speeding (or/and dangerous and rash driving). The problem with this is they do not have any proof for Speeding (unless measured with speed cam) or for rash driving.
Old 14th March 2013, 11:10   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Cochin road users appear to be far more civilised than those in Bangalore and we Bangaloreans can certainly learn a lot from them.
While the Traffic in most of the city is okay, Near Palarivattom, when I went to emperor to get my car iced, was horrible - Got my Car scratched by a number of bikers and autorikshaws.
But then again, given that Bangalore is your reference, I can understand why one might think that. After doing my internship in Bangalore, I decided to take up a job in Chennai, notwithstanding all the flaura and fauna of bangalore.
Chennai has its own set of problems, but I can deal with those.
Old 14th March 2013, 23:02   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
@sjcherian : It was around 8.30 p.m. He actually gave me a challan for Rs.500 which I assumed was for a stop line violation. But seeing your post, I'm not too sure what he challaned me for as I threw the challan back at him in a fit of rage. My mistake....should have checked. Could it have been for jumping a red light ?,
The fine for jumping a red light is also Rs.100/- (first time) and Rs.300/- for such subsequent violations
Old 15th March 2013, 13:36   #1597
BHPian

A small advice from my side. When ever you are told to pull over by a traffic cop please start recording a video with your mobile. Even if the police threaten you to stop recording dont stop.

Always make sure you say their name out aloud along with their rank.
Please ask them for an ID card if things get messy. It is their duty to show you their ID.
Stand your ground if you know you have not made any mistakes. If the police fellow threatens you that he will book wrong cases against you please upload that video on chennai city traffic police FB page .

Last but not least, please visit your nearest police station which has a traffic division and ask them for a copy of the fines list.

Do not pay any amount they ask. Show them the copy given in the police station if they harass you.

I repeat keep video and audio proof for everything.
Old 15th March 2013, 22:49   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
A small advice from my side. When ever you are told to pull over by a traffic cop please start recording a video with your mobile. Even if the police threaten you to stop recording dont stop...
Never ever attempt to do that. I partially did that and i was fined 1100 for taking a no right turn. he initially told me a fine of 500. when i told him this and that, he told me pay 1100 or i ll tow your car and you can come to the court.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-challan.jpg  

Last edited by noopster : 19th March 2013 at 20:07. Reason: Posts merged
Old 21st March 2013, 10:37   #1599
BHPian

I had my share of fun with the Traffic cops too.

I parked on M.G.Road Vannandurai near the 'Pasi-Rusi' shop. Just walked down about 100mts to buy veggies and when I come back I see a wheel lock on the front right and a small chit with a mobile number stuck to my windscreen.

I called the number and the cop told me to wait. Right enough, after 10mins, a tow truck came along with two cops inside. I asked the officer why he locked my car and he said that parking on the road was not allowed. I pointed out that there was no 'No-Parking' signboard anywhere nearby, so why I shouldn't park.
He told me to go and read the driving rules of CCTP. I argued a lot with him but then I wanted my car back too. So I paid him the 100bucks and got my car lock opened. Just as he was opening the lock, a government ambassador parked right behind me and the driver got off and went for a cup of tea. I pulled the cop by his arm and showed him the govt.car and asked him why he does not lock that vehicle. He was hesitating. So I raised a huge ruckus and called the nearby shopkeepers and also halted the nearby traffic showing them the cops unfair attitude. Seeing the commotion, he immediately locked the govt.car's wheel and pulled a challan. The driver of the car came running and started to throw his weight like 'Do you know who's car this is?' and stuff like that. But since I had by then raised enough noise, he made the driver pay the fine and then unlocked the wheel and told him to leave the area.
I moved my car only after the Govt. amby and the Tow truck both had left the scene.
But I got my money's worth. You should have seen the look on the cop's face when he was forced to challan the govt/.vehicle.
Just another day on Chennai's roads....
aabidansari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 11:11   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
I had my share of fun with the Traffic cops too.

I parked on M.G.Road Vannandurai near the 'Pasi-Rusi' shop. Just walked down about 100mts to buy veggies and when I come back I see a wheel lock on the front right and a small chit with a mobile number stuck to my windscreen.

I called the number and the cop told me to wait. Right enough, after 10mins, a tow truck came along with two cops inside. I asked the officer why he locked my car and he said that parking on the road was not allowed. I pointed out that there was no 'No-Parking' signboard anywhere nearby, so why I shouldn't park.
He told me to go and read the driving rules of CCTP. I argued a lot with him but then I wanted my car back too. So I paid him the 100bucks and got my car lock opened. Just as he was opening the lock, a government ambassador parked right behind me and the driver got off and went for a cup of tea. I pulled the cop by his arm and showed him the govt.car and asked him why he does not lock that vehicle. He was hesitating. So I raised a huge ruckus and called the nearby shopkeepers and also halted the nearby traffic showing them the cops unfair attitude. Seeing the commotion, he immediately locked the govt.car's wheel and pulled a challan. The driver of the car came running and started to throw his weight like 'Do you know who's car this is?' and stuff like that. But since I had by then raised enough noise, he made the driver pay the fine and then unlocked the wheel and told him to leave the area.
I moved my car only after the Govt. amby and the Tow truck both had left the scene.
But I got my money's worth. You should have seen the look on the cop's face when he was forced to challan the govt/.vehicle.
Just another day on Chennai's roads....
Great deed!!! Wish I had been there to see the incident.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 14:33   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
A small advice from my side. When ever you are told to pull over by a traffic cop please start recording a video with your mobile. Even if the police threaten you to stop recording dont stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Never ever attempt to do that. I partially did that and i was fined 1100 for taking a no right turn. he initially told me a fine of 500. when i told him this and that, he told me pay 1100 or i ll tow your car and you can come to the court.
I've heard such advices before but I was wondering if that is possible practically considering the 'power' these cops have. What should be the logical step if they behave as in the case of rajanprash above?
Has recording helped people previously? (assuming the cop doesn't physically attempt to stop it in the first place!)
pacman2881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 14:39   #1602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
I've heard such advices before but I was wondering if that is possible practically considering the 'power' these cops have. What should be the logical step if they behave as in the case of rajanprash above?
Has recording helped people previously? (assuming the cop doesn't physically attempt to stop it in the first place!)
I have never been fined by any cops till date since i use one simple thing. Act helpless and start telling them that it was my mistake even if you didn't make it. Make them feel superior and it will work usually. If you are in the mood of not paying, i just took a cop to a nearby chai stall and talked with him once. When we were done he just asked me to go and said "thanks for your time and the tea". They have their set of issues and we have ours. Made quite a few cop friends this way. I might have paid if i had genuinely violated but sometimes they flag down people just to check or collect funds.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 21st March 2013 at 14:41.
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 14:40   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Spent ~ 45 mins at the Sholinganallur signal yesterday (~ 7:35pm - 8:20pm).

The movement of the traffic was very unusual, it didnt feel like the regular traffic jam. And did not see any accident or vehicle break-down, just could not understand the reason for this. The worst of the 'regular' Friday evening traffic jam at this signal usually doesnt delay more than 30mins.

Finally, came to know today that it was because of an anti-Sri Lanka protest at or near the signal .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 21st March 2013 at 14:45.
Old 21st March 2013, 17:11   #1604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to report an incident of absolutely disgusting behaviour of Chennai cops that I encountered today.
A great day ended on a sour note and I am left fuming at the turn of events.
Jai, I think you have been duped royally. What kind of a challan did he give ? The handwritten one or the machine printed one ? I don't think a Sergeant is empowered to write out a fine unless he was misusing his S.I's machine.Only S.I and above can actually fine you, others can harass you like what happened to you. Next time, show no urgency and park your vehicle and argue softly.

Quote:
I know you might deny me that nice Butter Roast that I was planning to have in your hotel, but I have to tell you that what you are suggesting should never be done. Do not mess with the cops, treat them with respect even if they are rude, show your maturity and respect for the law and remain calm.

Sometime back when I was driving in the ECR towards chennai, I was about to overtake a bus when a cop jumped out in front of my car and flagged me down. I was going 40kmph and starting to accelerate to overtake the bus. He said overspeeding and asked for the fine. I had to accept that I could have been in 42-44kmph so tried to dissuade the fine. But he wouldn't relent, so I asked him to show me how fast I was and he says that his gun is not working and that he made an estimate(good one too). Then, after a few good words, he let me go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
I pointed out that there was no 'No-Parking' signboard anywhere nearby, so why I shouldn't park.
He told me to go and read the driving rules of CCTP.
The absence of a No Parking sign does not automatically mean parking is allowed there. Designated parking areas are marked with the Parking sign, all other places are No Parking. The ending was good though, worth the 100 bucks that you paid.
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 17:58   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Spent ~ 45 mins at the Sholinganallur signal yesterday (~ 7:35pm - 8:20pm).

The movement of the traffic was very unusual, it didnt feel like the regular traffic jam. And did not see any accident or vehicle break-down, just could not understand the reason for this. The worst of the 'regular' Friday evening traffic jam at this signal usually doesnt delay more than 30mins.

Finally, came to know today that it was because of an anti-Sri Lanka protest at or near the signal .
I was told beforehand about the traffic at Shollinganallur and took the Velachery route. O.T.: Do you work somewhere near shollinganallur. We can carpool sometimes.

Most Viewed