Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2013, 09:37   #1651
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Apart from Sundays, the other days when you can have a leisurely, traffic-free drive/ride on Chennai roads is on those days which are holidays for most Govt. offices / schools and many private organisations. Like today - Ugadi day.

Happy Ugadi for those that celebrate it !!!

For the last two days, I have been seeing traffic backed up from Kathipara towards airport including stand-still traffic on the Kathipara grade-separator at 9 - 9:30 PM while the roads are clear in the opposite direction (OTA to Kasi theatre). Strange to see such a traffic jam at that time of the day (night). Any idea what is causing this ?
Old 11th April 2013, 10:23   #1652
Senior - BHPian

^^ It occurs on most days around that time. Caused by all the south bound omnibuses, STC / SETC and regular MTC city buses jostling with each other to try and pick up passengers at the curvy stretch between asarkhana and the PSBB school.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 10:42   #1653
BHPian

Question to the Chennai members - do we now have clarity on which roads wil get flyovers? I read in the news a few days ago that Chennai would get about 4 flyovers but the actual names of the roads were not announced. Have they announced yet? Cant seem to find any updates.
Old 11th April 2013, 19:45   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
Question to the Chennai members - do we now have clarity on which roads wil get flyovers? I read in the news a few days ago that Chennai would get about 4 flyovers but the actual names of the roads were not announced. Have they announced yet? Cant seem to find any updates.
Found the list here:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ays-anna-salai

1. TTK Road-St Marys Road-Chamiers Road junction - With a long stretch of TTK Road one-way, I'm not really convinced of the utility of this one. Possibly the alignment that makes sense is a single-direction flyover for eastbound Chamiers Road covering both this junction and Greenways Road junction.

2. Arcot Road-Kaliamman Koil Street junction near Koyambedu
3. Kodambakkam High Road-Thirumalai Pillai Road-Valluvar Kottam High Road junction in Nungambakkam

(no idea about these two)

4. Madhya Kailash junction in Adyar - I believe this is signal-free access to OMR from Guindy side. It would be a good things to have, though I'm not sure of two things: (a) alignment of the up ramp that would benefit both Guidy-side and Kotturpuram-side traffic, and (b) if it will realize its full potential without measures that decongest the junction under the Gandhi Mandapam flyover.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 10:55   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
4. Madhya Kailash junction in Adyar - I believe this is signal-free access to OMR from Guindy side. It would be a good things to have, though I'm not sure of two things: (a) alignment of the up ramp that would benefit both Guidy-side and Kotturpuram-side traffic, and (b) if it will realize its full potential without measures that decongest the junction under the Gandhi Mandapam flyover.
Thanks a ton binand for the link!!
I find it amusing that the authorities think that having a flyover [signal-free access to OMR] at the Madhya Kailash junction without having one at the Tidel Park junction will ease congestion. In my opinion, this is just moving the congestion from one junction to the other - simply because there is no exit anywhere on OMR between Madhya Kailash and Tidel Park and nearly 100% of the vehicles which will take the proposed Madhya Kailash flyover will end up at the Tidel Park junction.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:28   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
simply because there is no exit anywhere on OMR between Madhya Kailash and Tidel Park
That is strictly not true - there is a new bridge between Indira Nagar and Thiruvanmiyur MRTS stations that connects OMR with LB Road. But your point is well taken - the "final" solution needs to combine Madhya Kailash, Tidel Park and the Tharamani Road/LB Road/OMR junction into one combined problem.

One major wishlist item is a road that connects OMR and ECR about halfway between Sholinganallur and Tidel Park.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:47   #1657
Senior - BHPian

Another item on the wishlist would be extending the MRTS from Tiruvanmiyur straight towards Thoraipakkam / Sholinganallur and ahead - running over pillars at centre of the OMR. Would really reduce car/bike traffic if people had a safe/comvenient PTS option to reach their offices on OMR without depending on private transport or share-autos etc.
Maybe we could start a Chennai-wishlist thread - what if the authorities stumble across it and implement atleast some of them ?
Old 12th April 2013, 11:56   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is strictly not true - there is a new bridge between Indira Nagar and Thiruvanmiyur MRTS stations that connects OMR with LB Road. But your point is well taken - the "final" solution needs to combine Madhya Kailash, Tidel Park and the Tharamani Road/LB Road/OMR junction into one combined problem.
Yes I know the bridge you are talking about - I take it every evening
I am talking about the peak hour office crowd towards the IT Parks on OMR. There would be hardly anyone taking the left onto the bridge you are talking about, off OMR, during peak hours in the morning. That road, into Indira Nagar leads to practically no office space.

You are right - ideally we need a solution that combines all the 3 major junctions you have mentioned.

I vaguely remember, a while ago, there was a proposal to construct a flyover at every major junction on OMR - Tidel Park, SRP Tools, MGR Salai junction, Sholinganallur junction........wonder what happened to that proposal!!
Old 12th April 2013, 16:03   #1659
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mother of all flyovers... An elevated road covering the entire route to Mamalapuram! Apparently it is "on the anvil," as the newspaper say.

Oh, and as to the Northern end of the OMR and possible solutions to its problems and those of adjoining roads, not being able to take the right turn from OMR to Adyar is absurd.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th April 2013 at 16:05.
Old 12th April 2013, 16:21   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The Mother of all flyovers... An elevated road covering the entire route to Mamalapuram! Apparently it is "on the anvil," as the newspaper say.
I hope it does not end up like Bangalore's answer to "mother of all flyovers" - the BIAL Elevated Road. I have not seen ANY progress on that in the past year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh, and as to the Northern end of the OMR and possible solutions to its problems and those of adjoining roads, not being able to take the right turn from OMR to Adyar is absurd.
In fact, I think this is a major contributor to the chaos at Tidel Park signal - everyone coming northwards on OMR and going to Adyar/Thiruvanmiyur/Besant Nagar/RA Puram/Alwarpet etc. need to turn right here or be damned.
Old 13th April 2013, 14:09   #1661
BHPian

Got some news for you guys!

Raised road to add space to OMR:

FOUR-LANE ELEVATED CORRIDOR FROM TARAMANI TO SIRUSERI PLANNED, PROJECT TO BE DONE IN 2 PHASES

After several years of see-sawing, the state government has chosen to build an elevated corridor on Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR) rather than introduce a bus rapid transport system (BRTS) to ease congestion.
The four-lane elevated corridor is planned from Taramani to Siruseri. With the existing six lanes on OMR, the stretch will get 10 lanes to cater to the growing vehicle population. “There are no plans to introduce metro rail, mono rail or MRTS. The elevated stretch has been designed with a technical committee that includes experts from IIT-Madras and Anna University,” said a source.
The design for the corridor has been finalised for the stretch between Taramani and Sholinganallur junction. On Monday, chief minister Jayalalithaa announced that the corridor will run up to Siruseri in the first phase, which is about 22km, and from Siruseri to Mamallapuram in the second phase, coming to a total of 45km. When completed, it will be the longest elevated corridor in the country.
Available designs show that the corridor will begin after the MRTS station in Taramani and go over junctions at SRP Tools, Perungudi, Thoraipakkam and Sholinganallur. “Those on ground level will not be disturbed,” said an engineer familiar with the project.
The corridor will have rotaries to exit OMR. “It will be like the rotaries on the Padi flyover so that people can get on or off the elevated corridor at any point,” said the engineer. The government has sanctioned 5 crore for a detailed project report that will study the feasibility of the project. Initial estimates suggest that the 22km stretch will cost about 1,500 crore.
Earlier, the government was considering a bus rapid transport system on OMR with a dedicated lane for buses, lanes for pedestrians and cyclists, and a lane for other vehicles. Politicians and bureaucrats visited Ahmedabad to get a sense of how the system works. According to the plan, 30% of the 41m OMR was to be dedicated to buses, 30% to cyclists and pedestrians and 40% to general traffic. With Monday’s announcement, officials seem unclear about the fate of BRTS, which has to be implemented before work begins on the elevated corridor.
Louis Berger Group, a USbased engineering firm, submitted designs for the corridor. Highways department, Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority, Metropolitan Transport Corporation and Tamil Nadu Urban Infrastructure Financial Services are the government bodies that responsible for implementing the project.

Source - Times Of India
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 10:28   #1662
Senior - BHPian

The last post got me thinking a bit... How about the status on the following?

Road work on the taramani link road? It's been ongoing for a few years now?
Over bridges on the signals in the important junction of OMR? Sholinganallur, thoraipakkam etc?
Grade separator at the vijay nagar junction in velachery?

While it is great to hear news such as this, there are many such past promises which are still not fulfilled, sad but true....
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 12:23   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
The last post got me thinking a bit... How about the status on the following?
While it is great to hear news such as this, there are many such past promises which are still not fulfilled, sad but true....
Absolutely, such promises often remind me of the promises made by children to their parents, promising them to do better in the coming examinations. At one point, the parent says "Do what you like". Exactly the same scenario albeit a different situation.
Old 15th April 2013, 13:26   #1664
Senior - BHPian

As if the Perungudi toll-booth was not enough as a cause for traffic-hold_up, we now have another set of barrels just before it, while coming from SRP tools side.
So for the couple kms between SRP tools and toll-booth, we now have 3 places where they have installed these state-of-the-art speed restrictors.
Way to go, CTP !!! Line them up all over OMR every 500ms.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:37   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
As if the Perungudi toll-booth was not enough as a cause for traffic-hold_up, we now have another set of barrels just before it, while coming from SRP tools side.
So for the couple kms between SRP tools and toll-booth, we now have 3 places where they have installed these state-of-the-art speed restrictors.
Way to go, CTP !!! Line them up all over OMR every 500ms.
Soon that entire stretch will become like a go-kart track . Barrels and obstacles everywhere.

Most Viewed