Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 16:01   #1681
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
So its ok to remove the chicane and watch people die without doing anything about it?

The chicanes are safe option, the speed humps do more bad than good!
Please do not take offense but do you think Chicanes are going to make the 2 wheeler rider who did not bother to look before merging now observe properly before entering from Service road.

My point is the traffic police are enforcing something else unnecessarily instead of
  • making sure every 2 wheeler has a proper RVM and make sure it is used.
  • closing unnecessary Service road entrance /exit like the one at TVH. I am sure OMR could do with reduced exits
  • ensuring nobody uses the Service lane in the wrong direction

These chicanes are only making people spend more time (commuting) and money (on fuel) thereby making more 2 wheeler riders vulnerable as they try to vie for space with company buses in a hurry to ferry vehicles. And what about the ambulance which gets delayed due to bunching of traffic. Do you really think such an inconvenience is required just for one person who lost his life due his ignorance of road rules and is now putting more at risk?
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 16:45   #1682
Senior - BHPian

Use them as a slalom, eh ? In peak-hour traffic, there is no way one could do this. Heck, there is a traffic-jam at the barrels even at non-peak hours, so slalom is ruled-out. The only time you can slalom is possibly late evenings/night and combine limited-visibility at those times with speed, it is a suggestion that can end up taking lives (which the barrels are supposed to save).

BTW it was wastage of fuel (resource) that was cause for concern, not the cost of it (which is not an issue for most of us). So it does not matter if the fuel is mine (private transport) or the Governments (public transport) or my company's (cab).

No denying that the intent to avoid losing human lives is noble, just that the method used ends up penalising hundreds of law-abiding drivers for the fault of a few law-flouters.
How logical / fair is that ? BTW, all this is discussion on finding possible solutions for the betterment of everyone involved. If all were to agree to everything, there would be no need for a forum.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th April 2013 at 17:06.
Old 20th April 2013, 09:32   #1683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Use them as a slalom, eh ? In peak-hour traffic, there is no way one could do this.
Please enjoy my co driver's seat in a car of your choice sir

Quote:
No denying that the intent to avoid losing human lives is noble, just that the method used ends up penalising hundreds of law-abiding drivers for the fault of a few law-flouters.
They are the majority ! The Indian unwritten laws are different even before one attempts the courts of law!!!

Quote:
How logical / fair is that ? BTW, all this is discussion on finding possible solutions for the betterment of everyone involved. If all were to agree to everything, there would be no need for a forum.
A forum is to discuss healthy positive developments, not crib crib and crib about traffic.

I do agree that traffic in certain parts of the city needs to improve -

Why not educate all the Cabbies [especially the IT company hired] ones on how to drive properly to start with?

Now that would really be a good start
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 16:13   #1684
BHPian

Guys,does the signal at MEPZ junction work at all??I am utterly confused when I leave office(from MEPZ) every evening.The green light never seems to come and cars randomly cross over.
Old 21st April 2013, 19:32   #1685
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, it does not work during peak hours because police try to control the flow
Old 21st April 2013, 19:39   #1686
BHPian

But there is nobody to man the signal most of the time
Old 21st April 2013, 19:42   #1687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Guys,does the signal at MEPZ junction work at all??I am utterly confused when I leave office(from MEPZ) every evening.The green light never seems to come and cars randomly cross over.
Just like every other traffic signal in Chennai, the MEPZ signal is also just a joke! It works but it doesn't work

The signals work for the GST Road users. For people exiting MEPZ, am not too sure if the Signal placed near the court complex works.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 21st April 2013 at 19:43.
Old 21st April 2013, 19:46   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

Just like every other traffic signal in Chennai, the MEPZ signal is also just a joke! It works but it doesn't work

The signals work for the GST Road users. For people exiting MEPZ, am not too sure if the Signal placed near the court complex works.
In my two months of working from MEPZ.. haven't seen that side of the signal work even once!!
Old 21st April 2013, 19:51   #1689
Senior - BHPian

there is a lot more to Chennai than traffic lights not working at mepz..that location is a joke

And I use that road 4 times a week..fyi
Old 21st April 2013, 21:23   #1690
Senior - BHPian

And we find motorists who wanna enter mepz take a turn right from extreme left...now what do we call it.educated or illiterate..

Anyways the cctp is working on improving bottlenecks in the city to ease and smoothen traffic flow especially in metro construction areas

Has anyone thought about what the cops go through day in and day out ?
Old 21st April 2013, 21:44   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
A forum is to discuss healthy positive developments, not crib crib and crib about traffic.
This thread is about "traffic and life on the road in Chennai" - so what else do you expect on this other than discussion on that - positive and negative. If you were not really fixated on looking for just the cribs, you would have also noticed folks appreciate the good stuff too on this thread. And the folks commenting here are regular users of the roads on which they see/face certain issues about which they put up posts. So it is not like people have any sinister agenda to defame.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 22:02   #1692
Senior - BHPian

Ok..sb..no point if you take it personally and want to be overtly critical..
Enjoy
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 22:05   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
And we find motorists who wanna enter mepz take a turn right from extreme left...now what do we call it.
So many times I have seen this in the MEPZ signal. These guys leave their brains back at home and then get onto a bike.
thiagust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 15:48   #1694
Senior - BHPian

Most of the individual vehicles entering MEPZ are either IT or atleast graduates working inside the MEPZ campus.

I am sorry to say that these educated fools cannot follow rules, suddenly feel they are race drivers once they cross the mepz gate and have no respect for fellow pedestrians or drivers.

It gets worse inside a campus when there are idiots trying to overtake, honk and speed through speed brakers.

If these educated idiots dont change for good, we are looking at a society which will continue to crib like me and not change.

Mepz is the classic example of where you can see educated idiots.
VW2010 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 15:53   #1695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
There should be some other way this issue can be resolved, without having to create traffic-jams, wasting time / fuel. Today, it took close to an hour to travel from Ashok Nagar to Kathipara flyover, which would be a distance of 2-3 kms. All thanks to these chicanes including some that were scattered all over the road away from their original position.
You are right, there should definitely be a better way that these 'issues' can be resolved.
No.1. Follow traffic rules (does not matter whether you are a politician or the uber rich gadgetman/techie with your first car.)
No.2. Practice what you not only preach, but what you expect from other road users (morons to many because they ride bikes and supposedly they do not have brains).
No.3. Respect law enforcing officers (whether they are rude or corrupt), remember respect is mutual.
No.4. Look at your self in the mirror and honestly ask this question only to yourself. Am I so good and sincere and uncorrupted to point a finger at another motorist and call him names (when we have also been like him, maybe cannot afford a car right now) or to the law or the Government ?
No.5. Does the fact that we have a car and travel in one right now mean the other road users are morons (might as well be, but that could include us morons too, right ??? ) ?

There is another story of a nice informed gentleman jumping the signal at the Kailash junction and insisting that it was green, but the fact was that for all the others in the car and the cops who stopped him, it was red. So how do we handle these kind of people on the roads when they deny the truth and say they were right ? And go on about moron bikers on the road cutting in front of their "beloved" cars ? Or about small 10 degree turns that they have to make and wait for 15 mins at a junction ? Isn't that why there are road blocks ? To stop these kind of misinformed misguided BIG CAR users who can hurt lives more than cause dents in another important BIG car ?

Is the life of a human being (maybe a moron to many here) less important than wasting precious time because of hurdles put by the "stupid cops" ?

Last edited by esteem_lover : 24th April 2013 at 16:00. Reason: Grammer
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed