Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 12:33   #1726
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
These rubber speed-breakers might look tiny compared to the conventional humps, but they are way potent than the latter. You can crawl over them at the lowest speed, but they will still jolt you and the car/bike.
Unfortunately even my apartment complex has jumped onto this particular bandwagon. There are several of these in the complex - some so bad that my front mudguard scrapes on it. I flagged it to the association but no response yet.

A few of these in the XXL size have appeared on the road from IRR to Challaghata as well.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:41   #1727
BHPian

These mini speedbreakers are a major pain. My pulsar's front shocks recently gave way and i can feel each and every bump on my shoulder. To add to my woes the rear shocks seem to be following the footsteps of the front one and the bumps are felt on my bumps . Speedbreaker design is supposed to be a science and here we have speedbreakers which show the lack of it.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:41   #1728
BHPian

While these rubber speed breakers (like the one installed in Besant Road) cause major jolts to two wheeler and cars they do not seem to have any effect on Heavy Vehicles. Once installed, the buses and lorries would have a free run while 2 wheelers slowing down for these rubber contraption will be mowed down. Not too long ago we had a son of a politician dying due to a speed breaker and there were thoughts of removing all speed breakers then. Looks like History will repeat itself again!
Old 10th May 2013, 19:09   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
These rubber speed-breakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Unfortunately even my apartment complex has jumped onto this particular bandwagon. There are several of these in the complex - some so bad that ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
These mini speedbreakers are a major pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
While these rubber speed breakers (like the one installed in Besant Road) cause major
Can someone post pictures of these rubber speed breakers please
Old 10th May 2013, 19:52   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Oh no, the rubber speed-breakers!

I remember the ones that were in the EC1 entrance in Bangalore in front of HP. A speeding Mahindra van got its front axle ripped off. It breaks your back if you are on a bike, it breaks everything if you are in a 4-wheeler

@headers, Here is a picture of the killer speed-breakers!

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-speed_breaker500x500.jpg
Old 10th May 2013, 20:49   #1731
BHPian

^^ Doesnt happen in Chennai. will post a few pics soon!
Old 11th May 2013, 06:13   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post

Attachment 1082416
Thanks Arun, These are not that BAD..come on
Old 11th May 2013, 09:13   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I take it you have not had a reason to drive on a road that is infested with these contraptions? Come over to Bangalore, mate.
Old 12th May 2013, 14:05   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I take it you have not had a reason to drive on a road that is infested with these contraptions? Come over to Bangalore, mate.
Sorry binand. Madras has plenty too of that hideous contraption. After a few weeks, the yellow painted part chips away leaving the steel bolt sticking up damaging your tires. I don't know where they get such ideas to damage our rides and our back bones. Wish we could take collective legal action against such speed breakers.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 23:54   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Anything that complies to the size, shape and curvature of standard speed brakers are fine. Whats irritating is like the ones they tried installing in MEPZ or inside some office campuses. They assume they can install these rubberized one in any size and shape they want.

And the reason for slowing down is achieved albeit idiots honking and showing of their lights that we are slowing them down.

Specially inside MEPZ when you slow down for a Speed braker people think you are stupid and honk. There are times when i have got down, told them my car is not starting, open the bonnet and delayed a little more. I have no shame to do that. I know i have delayed that doofus by few minutes. And my car needs clutch to be depressed while starting. So i often show them myself turning the keys while the car not starting.

I like to take a calm approach to delay as much as possible, specially if its inside MEPZ. I honestly believe idiots can learn sometime.
Old 13th May 2013, 14:05   #1736
Senior - BHPian

If these rubber-monsters complied to the standard speed-breaker specs, obviously no one would be complaining. The problem with these is that the gradient is not smooth, but abrupt - so instead of getting on a speed-bump, here it is akin to hitting a speed-bump.

On the bright side, the whole road from Olympia Tech Park Guindy towards Kasi theatre has been freshly laid and it's a dream to drive on. And with the Metro work over on this stretch, the width of the road is back to the normal pre-Metro levels, which avoids traffic jams.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 16:03   #1737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post

I remember the ones that were in the EC1 entrance in Bangalore in front of HP. A speeding Mahindra van got its front axle ripped off. It breaks your back if you are on a bike, it breaks everything if you are in a 4-wheeler

Attachment 1082416
These are already there for the last 5 years, notably on the padi flyover where there is a roundabout. Basically, it requires one to bring the vehicle to almost a standstill which maybe useful in certain places like the mentioned flyover or nearby schools, hospitals, residential areas etc.
Old 13th May 2013, 16:22   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
... Basically, it requires one to bring the vehicle to almost a standstill ...
BUT, the larger vehicles probably dont get rattled as much : I have seen the buses going over these rubber things almost without slowing down.

I think the best solution would be to have rumble strips of correct height and curvature, so that it has more or less the same effectiveness for all types of vehicles.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 17:51   #1739
Senior - BHPian

The road from Kamakshi hospital to Kaively junction (and maybe even till Vijayanagar jn.) has also been relaid. Was long overdue since the stretch was a potholed mess and coupled with the chicanes, was slowing down traffic a lot. Traffic seems to flow a lot smoother now.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 18:08   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this beauty yesterday on OMR.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-20130520-12.58.52.jpg

And last week saw this car parked at Mainland China on OMR around 10:30PM - looked beautiful to say the least.
An Octavia Combi station-wagon. But did they also come in the VRs badge or is it just a badge ?

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-20130515-22.01.20.jpg

On OMR, the drums used as chicanes are slowly giving way. Some of them are bent out of shape (got hit by heavy vehicles at night?), while some are missing, leading to a situation where at many places there are only 1 or 2 drums, which means traffic does not need to slow down like earlier, making it risky for pedestrians who are waiting to cross OMR a few metres after the chicanes.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st May 2013 at 18:25.

Most Viewed