Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 10:11   #1756
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Had the shock of my life while returning from pondicherry via tambaram and then through the airport road, then proceeded via kathipara(heading toward ashok nagar). after coming down. boom: two barricades. The car had to be steered toward the right with another car hurtling down the same way. Good thing we braked and stopped. Which wiseguy suggested a barricade after a flyover stretch is beyond me.

That MEPZ stretch was horrible. All vehicles were everywhere. exercise caution while proceeding.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 28th May 2013 at 10:13.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:36   #1757
BHPian

Any idea why some of the signals dont display the Red and amber lights ? The signal at the Shanthi Colony and 100 feet root only displays the green light. This has been the case for the last couple of months. I had put a note on the Chennai Traffic Facebook page, still no use. This leads to confusion as it happened when a cab driver tried crossing the junction, thinking the signal is down, only to get a earful from the cop who was standing there!!

Is this a new way to conserve electricity or plain lethargy on the part of the traffic police I am not sure. Anybody experienced the same in other parts of Chennai ?
Old 28th May 2013, 10:38   #1758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel
Had the shock of my life while returning from pondicherry via tambaram and then through the airport road, then proceeded via kathipara(heading toward ashok nagar). after coming down. boom: two barricades. The car had to be steered toward the right with another car hurtling down the same way. Good thing we braked and stopped. Which wiseguy suggested a barricade after a flyover stretch is beyond me.
I had reported this barricade on the previous page of this thread - it is too damn dangerous at the location it is placed currently, especially at night.
I hope better sense prevails and they remove it before someone collides into it. BTW, was it during day or night that you encountered it ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th May 2013 at 10:41.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:46   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I had reported this barricade on the previous page of this thread - it is too damn dangerous at the location it is placed currently, especially at night.
I hope better sense prevails and they remove it before someone collides into it. BTW, was it during day or night that you encountered it ?
During the night at around 8PM. We were like, "what is that?" and then tried to maneuver only to find another car speeding its way toward us. Decided to take no risks and just slowed down. I mean seriously, why a barricade there of all places? Better sense prevailing here is a definite nada from what i have been seeing so far. Continuing like this will make the entirety of chennai a huge go-kart obstacle course.
Old 31st May 2013, 10:45   #1760
BHPian

BHPians travelling through Chromepet, Did anyone notice the Pedestrian signal near the chromepet bus stop. The signal directly changes to Red from Green without passing the Amber.

I once had a huge shock. I was on my bike at around 8 PM and the signal suddenly changed. Pedestrians started running and I had to brake hard.

Thankfully, the bike stopped without any major drama.

And the timer runs only on red, so you will never know when it would change to red.
Old 31st May 2013, 14:46   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Which wiseguy suggested a barricade after a flyover stretch is beyond me.
Quote:
Quote:
... why a barricade there of all places? Better sense prevailing here is a definite nada from what i have been seeing so far. Continuing like this will make the entirety of chennai a huge go-kart obstacle course.
Looks like someone from Bangalore has consulted! We have speed breakers (multiple XL sized ones) just after a flyover, after a underpass (ORR)! Both are of course unmarked!
Old 31st May 2013, 16:04   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel
Continuing like this will make the entirety of chennai a huge go-kart obstacle course.
Looks like your prayers just got answered.

Yesterday around 9PM, I have descended the Kathipara flyover after carefully negotiating around the rogue-barricade discussed earlier, cross the Olympia signal and see traffic backed up near Hotel Hilton - since Metro station is being constructed there, this is expected and I join the line. I inch along with the vehicles and come to a stop at the traffic-light immediately after the Hotel. The light turns green for us and the cars in front start moving enthusiastically at first and then there is confusion and a traffic jam, the reason for which becomes clear soon.

In their infinite wisdom, the cops have placed 2 barricades immediately after the signal, each perpendicular to the road and the 2nd one just 10-15metres away, making the road like an obstacle course, which confuses the drivers. The first one is a long red 1-piece plastic chicane, while the second one is the metal barricade type that usually has some textile-shop advertisement on it. So basically you go around the first one and then decide which side to clear the next one depending on the width of your car. Am bad at drawing, but just to give an idea, it was like this.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-chennaikartingroad.jpg

Anyway, with indications now very clear that as a city, we are firmly moving towards chicane-raj, I have decided that since there is nothing that can be done about these (other than rant here), I might as well sharpen my driving skills around these obstacles that CCTP has painstakingly arranged for our benefit. There were a few more on that road, but I was beyond worrying now.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 17:10   #1763
BHPian

This definitely wasn't my prayer but i guess it was an agenda on someone else's to-do list . Someone put the wrong cap on their head (instead of the thinking cap). Their wisdom is definitely what we mere mortals may never decipher in the course of our lifetimes. Well, guess this is the go-kart city now. Chennai is being renamed to Chicanennai as we see. Only an official rename remains. Talk about giving the city a facelift .
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 17:40   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I might as well sharpen my driving skills around these obstacles that CCTP has painstakingly arranged for our benefit. There were a few more on that road, but I was beyond worrying now.
Am glad you finally stopped ranting and worrying

Quote:
Chennai is being renamed to Chicanennai as we see. Only an official rename remains. Talk about giving the city a facelift .
Come on, the city IS getting a face lift - cant you see cranes everywhere and construction activities being carried on ? Buildings and railway tracks are not built overnight
Old 31st May 2013, 20:05   #1765
BHPian

Hehe, i guess every city has its plus and minus points. Happy the city is going a little higher on infrastructure but unfortunately as a motorist, i can't help but point out the stuff we are witnessing. Overall chennai will become better if not the best in India.
Old 7th June 2013, 10:37   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I had reported this barricade on the previous page of this thread - it is too damn dangerous at the location it is placed currently, especially at night. I hope better sense prevails and they remove it before someone collides into it. BTW, was it during day or night that you encountered it ?
Fortunately good sense did prevail and the barricade has been removed - was not there yesterday night. Also the obstacle course created with dual chicanes after Hilton on the same road were not there yesterday. Thanks, CCTP.
Old 7th June 2013, 10:44   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fortunately good sense did prevail and the barricade has been removed - was not there yesterday night. Also the obstacle course created with dual chicanes after Hilton on the same road were not there yesterday. Thanks, CCTP.
Oh they are removed is it? I was returning back from work yesterday eve around 5:30PM and as I was about to get on the flyover noticed a huge jam on the entire fly over and so took an alternate route. I assumed that the chicanes were the cause of the jam. Now that it has been removed, wondering what was the actual cause? Or maybe was it removed in the night because of the jam in the evening
Old 7th June 2013, 11:02   #1768
Senior - BHPian

I crossed the place around 9:30PM. Possibly a combo of the chicane & any water-logging due to the afternoon rains led to traffic backing up on the flyover and thus they decided to remove it. Whatever be the reason, it's a good move to have that removed - I am surprised no one banged against it during all these days it was there.

Funnily, on the barricade you could see written "You made us break the speed limit..." - which is part of some advt/message, the rest of which was painted over.
Old 7th June 2013, 11:19   #1769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Funnily, on the barricade you could see written "You made us break the speed limit..." - which is part of some advt/message, the rest of which was painted over.
Exactly, I scratch my head daily to think what would the completed sentence be, each time I look at it . The mystery might never be solved now!!!
Old 7th June 2013, 12:41   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
... yesterday eve around 5:30PM and as I was about to get on the flyover noticed a huge jam on the entire fly over and so took an alternate route...
Possibly due to water-logging as a result of the heavy rains yesterday evening. The road in front of Olympia Tech regularly gets water-logged during rains, andcauses traffic jams on both sides.

Most Viewed