Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 13:59   #1771
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

OMR now sports new lane markings. But is it only me who feels that the fast lane is bigger than the other 2 lanes? The barricades which were removed are now back. They probably had removed it to allow for the lane markings to be painted.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 14:59   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder
Possibly due to water-logging as a result of the heavy rains yesterday evening. The road in front of Olympia Tech regularly gets water-logged during rains, andcauses traffic jams on both sides.
I thought they had properly relaid the road in front of Olympia and water-logging is no longer an issue. Earlier, it used to be a mess, especially the part of the road closest to the kerb/bus-stand and it was normal to see even the mighty MTC buses stuck there during rains and tilted at a 30deg angle or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k
The signal directly changes from Green to Red without passing the Amber.
A direct switch to Red without going through amber is indeed dangerous. Usually most signals here have an amber before moving to red - so possibly a fault with that particular signal ?

BTW have a query about the amber. What is the norm for moving from Red to Green ? Is an Amber mandated in between or not required ? IMO if there was an intermediate Amber before moving from Red to Green, the few seconds that it takes for the transition from Red->Amber->Green would give the waiting motorists time to get ready to move off.
Old 11th June 2013, 16:12   #1773
BHPian

Took 40 mins to come out of DLF IT park to join the mount-ponnamalee road last week on two days at around 8:30pm. Imagine being stuck inside your office premises for 40 mins when your total travel time to home on a normal day is almost the same . Very poor entry/exit planning for such a big IT park. Prohibiting the share autos from stopping directly in front of the DLF entrance and constructing a footbridge for pedestrians might help a bit.

Last edited by pisthpeeps : 11th June 2013 at 16:38.
Old 11th June 2013, 16:41   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
A direct switch to Red without going through amber is indeed dangerous. Usually most signals here have an amber before moving to red - so possibly a fault with that particular signal ?

BTW have a query about the amber. What is the norm for moving from Red to Green ? Is an Amber mandated in between or not required ? IMO if there was an intermediate Amber before moving from Red to Green, the few seconds that it takes for the transition from Red->Amber->Green would give the waiting motorists time to get ready to move off.
Yes, it is a fault with that particular signal. For your other question, No, the standard worldwide is direct from Red-->Green. We need time to slow down but we don't need time to move from Stand still.

But in Chennai, where people never stop and move slowly on red signals, Red-->Amber-->Green probably is a good idea

Also, of late have you noticed that most of the signals are partially not working. That is either the Red or Green does not glow. So, when you pass a junction which you don't frequent, we tend to miss the actual indication and end up in trouble
para_7k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 18:12   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
When I was at schools I was taught like this:
Green -> Amber -> Red -> Amber -> Green.

I have seen the above in Andamans.
iamswift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 18:18   #1776
Senior - BHPian

The recent changes in the traffic lights in Chennai are: [more than 2 years ago IMO]

1. Red -> Green

2. Green -> Amber -> Red

This was justified by the local papers and some traffic management people by stating that Amber is required only for slowing down to a stop and not necessary for a start from red.

And I dont see anything wrong in it - It infact sharpens ones' reaction time [RT]

Last edited by headers : 11th June 2013 at 18:20.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:53   #1777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift
When I was at schools I was taught like this:
Green -> Amber -> Red -> Amber -> Green.
Exactly how I remember the sequence, which was why the query. If the signal has a timer attached, then obviously we can do without the Amber before Green. But if no timers, then would help motorists get ready to move. Would even help save fuel by letting motorists switch off their engines and restart when it moves from Red to Amber.
Old 11th June 2013, 23:03   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181
Exactly, I scratch my head daily to think what would the completed sentence be, each time I look at it . The mystery might never be solved now!!!
Looks like either CCTP is following this thread or your prayers just got answered.
Spotted the barricade back at its usual location tonight on my way home at 9:30PM. Now go figure the complete sentence.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:11   #1779
BHPian

Heard that the CMRL coach/engine setup will be having a runup from koyambedu soon. Not sure where since i can't seem to find the CMRL lines???
Old 12th June 2013, 10:14   #1780
Senior - BHPian

^^ Look heavenwards, and ye shall find them!
Old 12th June 2013, 10:22   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Heard that the CMRL coach/engine setup will be having a runup from koyambedu soon. Not sure where since i can't seem to find the CMRL lines???
The tracks were laid long back. The overhead wiring was installed like a month ago. The station works are almost completed with the roof being installed now.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:39   #1782
BHPian

Been around 8 months since i last went that side, so i guess progress is rapid!
Old 12th June 2013, 15:17   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Cost of bypassing the city using the Chennai Bye-pass (existing Outer Ring Road) = Rs. 70/- The toll-collection at the Surapattu toll plaza has already started.

Surapattu toll Rs. 45/- and existing Porur toll Rs. 25/-.

Not bad, I would say. I could drive from the Red-hills end to my workplace at Siruseri (total of 60 kms, of which ~ 30kms on the bye-pass) in 1 hr 10 mins. It would have taken 2 hrs, if I had driven thru the city. I am sure I would have saved on fuel as well.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 12th June 2013 at 15:19.
Old 12th June 2013, 17:14   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Is the full route of Chennai Metro dual track or single track or a mix of both at various stretches ? Asking because the overhead tracks on GST road near OTA look wide enough to accomodate 2 tracks, while the one at Eekkaduthangal look narrower and more like single-track. I looked up the route on CMRL site, but while they mention overhead and underground routes, did not see a mention on number of tracks.
Old 12th June 2013, 17:31   #1785
BHPian

SB sir, i guess this will depend. Since i have seen a mix of both from around the city. Ex: The stretch till ST thomas mount station looks single rail but there is another running in parallel from the same station towards menambakkam etc. I am not very sure though.

Most Viewed