Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:40   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

OMR Talk...

Anybody else notice that the footbridge that used to have VW advertising all over it... now has Skoda ads on it! ?
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:22   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
OMR Talk...

Anybody else notice that the footbridge that used to have VW advertising all over it... now has Skoda ads on it! ?
Yes, with lights all around. Isn't this the one before taramani road junction while coming into the city..

I wonder who uses that footbridge, one of its exist leads to a drainage
Old 3rd October 2010, 16:36   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, that's the one. I notice driving home. I don't know if there are hoardings showing to city-bound traffic too, maybe I just never looked.

I wonder about there even being advertising on it. Haven't advertising hoardings been illegal for the past few years? It might be outside the corporation boundary: I don't know where that is on the OMR
Old 4th October 2010, 11:40   #169
BHPian

There is ongoing strike by MTC bus drivers & conductors from today morning almost in entire city.
This has started as small fight b/n a 2 wheelie and bus driver yesterday night where some mob broke the bus windsheild and hit the driver as well.
News spreaded to all mtc folks and they jumped into strike by pull over the bus where they wanted to.

Result - Traffic jam everywhere and it took 2 hrs for me to reach OMR from W.Tambaram. TOOO BAD
Old 4th October 2010, 11:46   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
There is ongoing strike by MTC bus drivers & conductors from today morning almost in entire city.
Must be only to a specific set of bus station or union rather as I was able to witness few buses plying in the city this morning.

But, no wonder, I saw a long queue piled up at Ambattur bus stand & the jam was much lesser.

IMO, those driver morons should be punished severely. No point supporting them saying, they're doing a hard job of driving in traffic all through the day any more. I mean, they're meant to do the job & they're the ones responsible for this messiness. Has anyone seen any Govt buses pull over to the bus stand as close as possible? They only stand bang on the left most lane disrupting the flow of traffic as much as possible. If there's another bus, then, bang, he stops in the next right lane disrupting even further

Some two-wheelie would've got frustrated by this act probably!!!
Old 4th October 2010, 13:53   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is it the one after Lifeline hospital and before SRP Tools? I noticed it too.

Quote:
There is ongoing strike by MTC bus drivers & conductors from today morning almost in entire city...

... Result - Traffic jam everywhere and it took 2 hrs for me to reach OMR from W.Tambaram. TOOO BAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Must be only to a specific set of bus station or union rather as I was able to witness few buses plying in the city this morning.

But, no wonder, I saw a long queue piled up at Ambattur bus stand & the jam was much lesser.
Actually I was wondering why I found far less traffic on the OMR this morning. And a colleague of mine told me the story. But the strike is confined only to Ambattur area. Buses from other areas are plying as usual.

Quote:
Has anyone seen any Govt buses pull over to the bus stand as close as possible? They only stand bang on the left most lane disrupting the flow of traffic as much as possible. If there's another bus, then, bang, he stops in the next right lane disrupting even further
Yes, but maybe one in a hundred.
Very often have I seen traffic being held up in Choolaimedu and Mehta Nagar bus stop areas on Nelson Manickam road, because of some moron driver stopping bang in the middle of the narrow road to pick up/drop passengers.

Quote:
I heard it was an MUV of some political party. Not sure though.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:07   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Very often have I seen traffic being held up in Choolaimedu and Mehta Nagar bus stop areas on Nelson Manickam road, because of some moron driver stopping bang in the middle of the narrow road to pick up/drop passengers.
Sorry to disagree; its not for boarding the passengers, its a kind of street racing where he's forced to stop, hence he will not allow others to pass through so that he think he's playing fair enough

They don't care about the safety of passengers anymore. And worst thing is morons like me drive towards the left side of bus to delay the passengers from boarding the bus so that few other morons follow me & disrupt the traffic even further

Quote:
I heard it was an MUV of some political party. Not sure though.
Ha...so its a political fight. No common man or bus driver with common sense will pull up a strike unnecessarily

Last edited by aargee : 4th October 2010 at 14:09.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:36   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I was wondering why I found far less traffic on the OMR this morning. And a colleague of mine told me the story. But the strike is confined only to Ambattur area. Buses from other areas are plying as usual.
No, I found huge crowds spilling over to the road while crossing Chromepet and Pallavaram bus stands at 8.30 AM, with very few buses in sight.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:50   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Has anyone seen any Govt buses pull over to the bus stand as close as possible? They only stand bang on the left most lane disrupting the flow of traffic as much as possible. If there's another bus, then, bang, he stops in the next right lane disrupting even further

yes,this is the major issue with Govt Bus driver even some of IT companies bus drivers too.
It's a very common practice in the Race course road(FiveFurlong road) opposite to the Guindy Railway Station back gate.
They won't allow anyone to pass them while they are departing passengers.
we have to wait till they move.it's very wild behaviour by the drivers even if we honk,they will show their hands with wrong sign or pass some bad words
Everyday for me, it takes some 15 mts to pass this area.Distance is roughly 50 feet.
How will teach them the driving and parking manners?
Old 4th October 2010, 15:04   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
yes,this is the major issue with Govt Bus driver even some of IT companies bus drivers too.
Agreed 100% with what you said.

These Govt bus drivers are the morons who taught this blocking & now everyone's following it. Last Friday, I witnessed a WagonR on the sides of the race course who stopped apparently to drop off a passenger & I felt like smashing his winshields. Other day I saw a metro water lorry at the Vijayanagar junction who was blocking the already congested road. Reason? He's talking to someone, who's standing on middle of the road. Worst thing is that moron didn't even know he's standing on the middle of the road & to him, he's standing next to the lorry!!! Now my friend, all these happens during non peak hours.

10 years from now, its all going to be chaos on the road.

In the west, the law is imposed by the Govt. but here in India the law is broken by the Govt
Old 4th October 2010, 15:09   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Silverstead, yes, that's the one --- where Skoda has supplanted VW, or perhaps both have the same marketing dept!

As to buses blocking the road, don't think that we are so badly off: what they did in London was to build out the bus-stop pavement into the road, even on single carriageway roads, so that every bus stopping at every bus stop blocks all the traffic.
Old 4th October 2010, 19:16   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is ongoing strike by MTC bus drivers & conductors from today morning almost in entire city....
Noticed this in the K.K.Nagar bus depot too : there were a lot of policemen there as well.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:39   #178
BHPian

Front Ended at the Traffic Singnal

2 weeks ago, I was waiting at the traffic signal at chetput.
The lights turned green and the driver of an i10 car that was in front of me, promptly engaged the reverse gear (I could see the reversing light) and started moving back.
To my horror, despite of honking, the i20 bumped in to my car and realizing the deed, the driver quickly moved in front and went away.
Since the traffic was at crawling speed, I caught up with the i20 and found that the driver was a middle aged lady.
When I asked her why she reversed and after hitting me why she didn't stop to see what has happened, she just smiled and said "I don't know what I did, Sorry and thankfully no big damages isn't it".
Come on don't you know at least when you will engage the reverse gear and will you not look back while reversing (at least when the car is moving back) !
What do you do with these kind of drivers on the road?
How to teach them some traffic sense and sensitivity to others?
Old 12th October 2010, 12:06   #179
Senior - BHPian

@Habanero - This situation is only going to get worst & worst in the forth coming years making a perfect hell for all our children to ride/drive on roads unless Govt is going to take steps in right direction.

Our Govt policies are always useless. For instance, instead of being stringent on driving test & driving school, they'll implement stringent law to enforce submitting more proofs on DOB & address

Even if you've complained it to a cop, he would've agreed with the lady & asked you to take the issue lightly as your car wasn't seriously damaged.

Last edited by aargee : 12th October 2010 at 12:07.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:35   #180
Senior - BHPian

^^ I completely agree with you on this fact. RTO should implement strict driving tests before issuing a driver license. A tougher theoretical exam would make it more interesting. I was issued a theory paper with all the answers marked when I went for my driving test back in 97.

Btw, I was caught in the wrath of the Nelson Manickam road traffic yesterday. It looked unusual though. It took me 1HR+ to reach from Brownstone apartment to Loyola college front gate.

Most Viewed