Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2013, 22:05   #1801
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

^^ I think it is merely a Tamilized name for the original "Foreshore estate". Like the one for Hamilton Bridge - "Ambattan Vaaravadhi!".
Old 23rd June 2013, 23:32   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I understand that the whole Palavanthangal lake and Pallikaranai marshes which used to be home to many migratory birds species, has now become some sort of a super dumping ground for the Chennai garbage. Is this information correct?

I am sure that these would have disappeared by now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think you mean the Pallavaram lake. I do not remember any lake at Palavanthangal.
I think Shankar is right in mentioning Palavanthangal. There used to be quite a big lake in Thillai Ganga Nagar (where I'm residing) when we came down to this place in the early nineties. The house I was/am residing at used to end up at this lake. I still remember that whenever there used to be heavy downpour, the streets would get flooded and we would have to walk through the knee-deep water. Also, this lake used to cut off the Nanganallur area from the Madipakkam main road.

The road connecting GST and Velachery (Inner ring road) was a non-existent thing. Now, if you have driven in the road from GST towards Velachery MRTS station, after crossing the subway, you can see a 'Muruga Bhavan' hotel/Airtel shop/Vijai Cars on to your right side. Those things were non-existent before. And opposite to these, there used to be very few houses behind which was this lake.

While laying the road, the highways department cleverly built a bridge (after this hotel) to escape from the environmentalists. However, the so-called lake underneath the bridge has been filled up with debris with not even a drop of water.

By the way, Palavanthangal, Nanganallur and Thillai Ganga Nagar are almost one and the same. They are just streets apart like Chromepet/Hastinapuram or Velachery/Vijayanagar combos.
callvvijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 16:14   #1803
BHPian

If not Chennai who else!. Chennai the Topper in No. of accidents amongst other cities.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/20735444.cms

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 24th June 2013 at 16:20.
Old 6th July 2013, 13:23   #1804
BHPian

WARNING:- The 200 feet radial road connecting Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam is now being continuously monitored for overspeed by radar guns/cameras at two places as shown on the map. Speed Limit is 40KMPH but Cops let it go until 60 KMPH.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-team-bhp.png
BoeingDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 13:31   #1805
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Yesterday I was in chennai, almost after 4 years. Certainly for better roads and traffic conditions compare to Bangalore. However still saw a biker falling infront of MTC bus, lucky the bus did run over him and driver was able to stop the bus in time.
Old 6th July 2013, 13:35   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Yesterday I was in chennai, almost after 4 years. Certainly for better roads and traffic conditions compare to Bangalore. However still saw a biker falling infront of MTC bus, lucky the bus did run over him and driver was able to stop the bus in time.
"Lucky the bus did RUN over him" ??
I believe it is supposed to be 'did not' .

Chennai is worse. Try driving in areas like Triplicane, Perambur and Choolaimedu during peak hours.
Old 8th July 2013, 14:18   #1807
VKS
BHPian

Quick question about the road tax in Chennai .

I am relocating from Hyderabad to Chennai and will be using AP registered car in Chennai . I intend to use the car here for an year and sell it in Hyderabad / take it back to Hyderabad post that .

My question is .
1) Is it really bad with the traffic police while using a non TN registered car in case I do not pay the road tax as I intend to use it for an year here.
2) Is there a concept of one year road tax in Chennai.
3) Do I need a noc from Hyderabad in case I just want to pay the road tax and not re-register in Chennai ? Will I get the tax refund from Chennai after an year when I take back the car ?

I will be using the car everyday in the velachery/guindy/dlf area.
Old 8th July 2013, 14:52   #1808
Senior - BHPian

^^

a) No. But one never knows when they may check your papers.

b) Annual tax is only for cabs.

c) No noc needed just for paying the tax. And unless the car is re-registered, there is no question of tax refund.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 16:11   #1809
Senior - BHPian

^^ & post #1807

Check with the local AASI - they know the corrrect current rules and may as well help you do the correct paperwork.

AFAIK, you need to pay the road tax for a year as the grace period is only 3 months or so for private vehicles.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 12:04   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder
The road in front of Olympia Tech regularly gets water-logged during rains, and causes traffic jams on both sides.
I thought with the road in front of Olympia being relaid, the problem was gone. But you are right - the waterlogging still exists and it was a massive problem yesterday night with me spending close to 30mins to cross the 100m stretch from Olympia signal to Hilton hotel. Since the left side was deep under water (1 feet or so I think), I stuck to close to the median, but near the Hilton, this lane was also having deep water. Add to this the waves created by dumpers/trucks speeding on the left-most lane ignoring the deep waters, which was creating huge waves affecting even those near the median. It took a lot of prayers and a constant pressure on the A-pedal to cross that stretch without water entering from the exhaust.

And while the car guys were sweating it out in the tidal waves, I see a Pajero passing through without any ado in the deep waters, with the driver cooly smoking a cigarette.
It is these times that you wish you had an SUV and not a low-slung sedan.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th July 2013 at 12:34.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 13:37   #1811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought with the road in front of Olympia being relaid, the problem was gone.
Unless drainage is included, and it never seems to be, relaying never cures flooding. It can even make it worse by changing levels.
Quote:
It took a lot of prayers and a constant pressure on the A-pedal to cross that stretch without water entering from the exhaust.
I'm sure you know, but for anyone inexperienced who may be reading this: low gear, high revs. Even slip the clutch to keep those revs high.
Quote:
the waves created by dumpers/trucks speeding
People who drive any sort of vehicle fast through floodwater, without thought to pedestrians, other drivers especially on bikes, roadside property, etc, are brainless scum. In serious flooding, it is often this that makes the difference between shops and homes staying dry or being flooded out.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 16:18   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
I'm sure you know, but for anyone inexperienced who may be reading this: low gear, high revs. Even slip the clutch to keep those revs high.
You are right. But inspite of knowing & practising the "low gear, high rev" method, the situation yesterday was a huge challenge. If there is a stretch of road with water upto the exhaust height or more and no vehicles in front, one can drive away keeping gear low and high rev.

But here the traffic would be standstill for like 2 mins and then move forward a couple feet, then stay there for 2 mins and another 2 feet movement and so on. So when we are stopped, I have the gas pressed, then engage gear and move a bit with revs held high. But now I need to stop immediately to avoid hitting the guy in front - can't use footbrake because I would need to take foot off the A-pedal - so engaged handbrake, but this won't warn the guy behind. Was real scary !!!

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th July 2013 at 16:26.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 16:51   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Right upto the 90's the Lake Area was relatively untouched and was absolutely famous for large and wicked mosquitoes, especially in the rainy season.
Hope at least these large and wicked mosquitoes were taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I think it is merely a Tamilized name for the original "Foreshore estate". Like the one for Hamilton Bridge - "Ambattan Vaaravadhi!".
Dont think it is for Foreshore estate, Ambattan yes.

Yaanagavani for Elphinstone bridge, Killiyur for Kelly's corner(Kellys) etc

Last edited by esteem_lover : 16th July 2013 at 16:54.
Old 16th July 2013, 18:03   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Lately i notice that most of the traffic around the gst stretch is not actually contributed by density of the traffic. But the condition of the roads.

Roads either side from Airport to Kathipara is pathetic. All the CCTP has to do is lay roads in this stretch to make it smooth.

Similarly from Alexander square to Saidapet bridge. The only reason for slow traffic is the pathetic condition of roads.

Public has to suffer this non sense because there is no owner to complete this stretch of road till Metro completes its work.

Only in India we will have this level of inefficiency.
Old 16th July 2013, 19:53   #1815
BHPian

Sholinganallur junction seems to have improved in terms of delays thanks to the new changes. Hope it continues
joecherian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed