Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2013, 20:56   #1816
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Sholinganallur junction seems to have improved in terms of delays thanks to the new changes. Hope it continues
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21103499.cms

Wifey who uses company bus mentioned about the change, but she couldnt explain it clearly as she is programmed to sleep on all automobiles when travelling as a passenger with seat.

With the amount of college and IT company buses plying on OMR not sure how their forced U turns are helping the traffic flow.
pisthpeeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 22:07   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Sholinganallur junction seems to have improved in terms of delays thanks to the new changes. Hope it continues
What are the changes??
Old 16th July 2013, 22:24   #1818
Senior - BHPian

^^^No going straight or taking right-turn for those coming from Medavakkam side. They would need to compulsorily take a left at Sholinganallur signal, then take a U-turn and come back.
Painful for folks from Medavakkam, but overall I am told the waiting times have reduced a lot. Not sure if there are other changes.

Recently I had a taste of waiting at this signal twice (before the above changes were made) and man, I don't think I have come across such signals anywhere else in Chennai.
It was a wait of close to 30mins for the signal to turn green.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th July 2013 at 22:28.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 23:03   #1819
BHPian

me too had a tough time around 2-3 days before these changes were made. The traffic jams used to extend almost till Aavin signal.
After the changes, I too feel things have improved a lot. Now, the wait times which I have encountered is at the max 5 minutes to cross the sholinganallur signal.Got similar feedbacks from my colleagues as well who used to cross this signal at peak times as well.
Old 16th July 2013, 23:30   #1820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But here the traffic would be standstill for like 2 mins and then move forward a couple feet, then stay there for 2 mins and another 2 feet movement and so on. So when we are stopped, I have the gas pressed, then engage gear and move a bit with revs held high. But now I need to stop immediately to avoid hitting the guy in front - can't use footbrake because I would need to take foot off the A-pedal - so engaged handbrake, but this won't warn the guy behind. Was real scary !!!
very challenging. Surprised people weren't getting stuck --- and causing a total jam. The sort of thing that can make a few-minutes journey last until the next day
Old 17th July 2013, 17:33   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
I really hope this continues. I live in Perungudi and have been afraid to take the car out for the long waiting at the S'Nallur signal. Now I confidently taking my car as the maximum waiting time at the signal is 5mins. Now taking right at the signal is much easy. But I see more cops are swetting out as the no. of cops are increased to control at Aavin signal, S'Nallur signal and Accenture signal. If my calculation is correct, the new rule is affecting only 20% of overall traffic at the S'Signal.
Old 17th July 2013, 18:41   #1822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Funny that the news article above seems to be giving wrong info. Or maybe it was like this at first and then changed later to the current way ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^No going straight or taking right-turn for those coming from Medavakkam side. They would need to compulsorily take a left at Sholinganallur signal, then take a U-turn and come back.
Painful for folks from Medavakkam, but overall I am told the waiting times have reduced a lot. Not sure if there are other changes....
The same is applicable for those coming from ECR side on the link road.
So someone from ECR coming on ECR link road, and wanting to go straight (to Medavakkam) or turn right (Perungudi), will have to take compulsory left and take the U -turn at Infosys signal.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 17th July 2013 at 18:44.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 19:02   #1823
BHPian

[quote=Blue Thunder;3181397]Funny that the news article above seems to be giving wrong info. Or maybe it was like this at first and then changed later to the current way ???

No. The news article is correct. All traffic from ECR side has to take a compulsory left and take U turn at Aavin. This is the status at 4pm today.
Old 18th July 2013, 12:32   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
I think the part about not being able to take a right turn, coming from Madhya Kailash to Medavakkam is not true as busses like T51 (including the trailer ones) cannot take an U turn at Infosys Signal and so far I have not seen any bus do it. Also, straight from ECR Link Road to Medavakkam is allowed at least for buses as route C51 depends on it and they cannot take an U turn at Infosys. The same for buses coming from Medavakkam to ECR Link Road.
Also, they are forcefully making the buses stop further away on the designated bus bays on either side of Sholinganallur junction which helps in not choking up traffic and keeping atleast 2 lanes open for traffic. Would help if busses are made to stop further inside the bay so that one more lane is made useful.
As a side effect of posting more cops at Infosys and Accenture signal (for U turns)

1. it has helped in turning away the Share autos who cross over and travel on the wrong side of road and freeing up traffic
2. discourages people who used to use the side road next to Infosys to avoid toll (atleast during daytime/ peak hour) as right turn from Navalur to this road is not allowed but causing slight inconvenience for people like me who travel from Navalur side to take a right turn to reach Infosys.

Thumbs Up! to CTP for smart move.

Last edited by DWind : 18th July 2013 at 12:40.
Old 18th July 2013, 14:08   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
I think the part about not being able to take a right turn, coming from Madhya Kailash to Medavakkam is not true as busses like T51 (including the trailer ones) cannot take an U turn at Infosys Signal and so far I have not seen any bus do it. Also, straight from ECR Link Road to Medavakkam is allowed at least for buses as route C51 depends on it and they cannot take an U turn at Infosys.
Wifey was able to board C51 yesterday evening near the Aavin/Infy U turn when it slowed down to make the turn. So MTC buses do take U turns there. But not sure about how trailer buses manage that turn.
Old 18th July 2013, 15:10   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to the CCTP for this smart move. It has made a positive difference for my direction of travel.

But, I wonder what the reaction will be of someone wanting to take right from Medavakkam side to Navalur, or from ECR to Thuraippakkam

Quote:
...No. The news article is correct. ...
Please read the news article again...it is wrong.

What you have mentioned is correct, BUT that is not what the news article mentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesOfIndia View Post
......For example, someone coming from Madhya Kailash and wanting to go to Medavakkam cannot take a right turn at the signal.
Instead, he/she will go straight and take a 'U' turn, come back to the signal and then take left," said Karuna Sagar, additional commissioner of police (traffic).
Similarly, anyone coming from Kelambakkam and wanting to reach the East Coast Road (ECR) will have to go straight and come back to the signal after taking a 'U' turn.

Strange how the media can get such a simple news item all wrong

Highly irresponsible on the part of TOI.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 18th July 2013 at 15:26.
Old 18th July 2013, 15:37   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Please read the news article again...it is wrong.
My understanding is that vehicles(from all 4 directions) can only go straight or take left at the sholinganallur signal. Please correct me if i am wrong. Even though the news article doesnt cover it fully not sure where it goes wrong.
Old 18th July 2013, 16:28   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
My understanding is that vehicles(from all 4 directions) can only go straight or take left at the sholinganallur signal. Please correct me if i am wrong. Even though the news article doesnt cover it fully not sure where it goes wrong.
Sorry, Please ignore my above post. Post lunch effect.
All vehicles from either side of OMR(Madhya Kailash or Kelambakkam) can only go straight or take left at Shols signal. Vehicles from ECR link road or Medavakkam can only take left on OMR. But still not sure whats wrong in TOI article.
Old 18th July 2013, 16:51   #1829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder
But, I wonder what the reaction will be of someone wanting to take right from Medavakkam side to Navalur, or from ECR to Thuraippakkam
The day this change was introduced, I met a friend who had that day chosen to go from Velachery to Navalur via Medavakkam, and had to take a left, then a U-turn. He cribbed a bit, which would be normal. But again, even for these folks, this arrangement would be still better than waiting at the signal for 30mins to take a right-turn. Good move by CCTP !!!
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 17:17   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My understanding is that vehicles(from all 4 directions) can only go straight or take left at the sholinganallur signal. ...
No !

Those who are travelling on OMR and crossing Sholinganallur signal : No changes : can go straight/right/left.

Those who are arriving at Sholinganallur signal perpendicular to OMR : no straight, only compulsory left.

I hope it is clear now.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 18th July 2013 at 17:22.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks