Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:52   #1846
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Buses ferrying techies and other staff home from several companies in the IT corridor were intercepted on Pallavaram-Thuraipakkam Radial Road and Velachery Main Road intersection from 6 pm onwards, bringing traffic to a virtual standstill on the busy stretch. More than 100 private buses were caught for violation.
I saw several buses being stopped in the evening on OMR between SRP and NIFT towards Tidel on July 31st as well - didnt realize then but am sure it was for sun film. Curiously most of the buses were FL Smidth company buses.
Old 3rd August 2013, 07:03   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road from OTA towards Guindy flyover was also in a similar state till some days ago, leading to jammed traffic. But now that they have relaid the road, traffic flows so smoothly on that stretch.
I think the roads are actually relaid on this stretch and there is a smooth flow of traffic now. Its not stop and go anymore and it actually trickles which is perfectly fine than waiting 10 minutes to clear that sangeetha hotel spot.

New traffic snarl is near the aavin in front of cargo. People have no sense of road width and congestion, they just switch on their warning lights and park right in the middle of one of the only two lanes available as Metro is digging up on the third lane.

Personally these idiots do not care about anything but their need for one packet of paal goa.

I have written to CCTP hoping to see some action exactly opposite Aavin.
Old 4th August 2013, 22:30   #1848
Senior - BHPian

The sun film drive continues full steam.

I had to attend office at Guindy for half a day on Saturday and went by car, with some amount of nervousness. But went and returned home incident free.

Later had to take my son for a dental appointment at T'Nagar in the evening. Did not want to take chances twice on the same day and went by bike.

Sure enough, saw a Santro already pulled up at the Mount Road - Sardar Patel Road junction, and a Fiesta being pulled up. Saw a lady get out of the Santro and plead with the cops, who were politely but firmly tearing up the film from the windows.

Patted my self on the back for taking the bike! My car lives to fight another day!

This drive seems quite serious guys, so watch out. Not much of a problem for me as I take the car out only during the week-ends.

We may have to weather the storm for another month before it fizzles out.

But on the flip side, it is officially known that films with 70% visibility are ok! So we may go for proper films if this one is torn out!
Old 4th August 2013, 22:41   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But on the flip side, it is officially known that films with 70% visibility are ok! So we may go for proper films if this one is torn out
Are you sure? The cops near satyam was merciless to a really transparent film a skoda had. I thought no sun film irrespective of visibility. If the glass by itself is naturally tinted, the cops cannot do a dash. But if you add a layer they are going to go nuts and hassle the drivers.

Sad part is car with political flags are flaunting the number plate and sun film with no real guts from police to stop them
Old 4th August 2013, 22:48   #1850
Distinguished - BHPian

As I understand it, no film at all is the law.

However, unless they get so hot on this that they establish road blocks where every vehicle is checked, then, in practice, they have to notice the sunfilm before stopping the car.
Old 4th August 2013, 22:52   #1851
BHPian

Couple of cops where standing by chetpet signal and where slowly stripping off the film on an Alto yesterday afternoon , before my eyes could register what was going on, stepped on the gas and speeded away. Even 70 VLT doesn't help ?
Old 7th August 2013, 12:08   #1852
BHPian

Hi - be prepared for a huge traffic jams on OMR and LB road this evening - The President is in town for functions in Taramani and Kalakshetra and if yesterday evenings crazy traffic was any indication today will be really bad. I should add that GST road will probably be blocked whenever he has to head back to the airport.
sjcherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 14:23   #1853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Hi - be prepared for a huge traffic jams on OMR and LB road this evening - The President is in town for functions in Taramani and Kalakshetra and if yesterday evenings crazy traffic was any indication today will be really bad. I should add that GST road will probably be blocked whenever he has to head back to the airport.
When are the functions??When is he heading back??Any clue?
Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 15:23   #1854
BHPian

He is at Taramani at around 3:30 is what I was told. Not sure of the second one or the return.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 23:49   #1855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
If only I checked this site before going out today

Mid-afternoon, joined OMR at Perungudi and U-turned at Lifeline Hospital. All too soon we were in stationary traffic. Managed to get to the left before all became solid, and it moved enough to take the next left. Three vehicles, inlcuding a police car, trying to find our way around Nehru Naggar, struggling with dead ends, and, eventually made it out the other side and headed for Velachery, and thus to Kathipara/100-ft-rd and Arcot Road.

Our adventures trying to find the shop we were looking for are happily irrelevant!

Back at OMR, never dreaming stuff would still be held up, by about 7.00pm. It was. Hit the jam too late to turn to Indira Nagar or anywhere else, and just had to patiently go with it.

Amazing how, even in that traffic, there are people who honk like hell as soon as there is a yard or two in front!
Old 8th August 2013, 02:43   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The sun film drive continues full steam
Yes it is; there's a consistent check going underneath the Chennai bypass bridge at Ambattur/Mogappair; mostly during weekends.

Be extra cautious when driving through this route. I've been watching this for more than 6 months now. My car was also once being pointed to the guilty one so as to show how the car looks without sun control film. Felt proud at that moment, but, I've to curse the COVERment for passing such a stupid law to get burnt even with A/C on full blast!!!
Old 8th August 2013, 09:35   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As I understand it, no film at all is the law.
That is correct. As per the orders of the Supreme Court, only tinted glasses are allowed and no films.

But as per many news paper reports, cops let go cars which have very light films. The film installation trade also goes on unabated, with the guys recommending light shades to customers.

I suspect there may be a quid pro quo involved!
Old 8th August 2013, 10:27   #1858
BHPian

The sun film drive is only for the normal Indians i think, politicians and goons need not be bothered. In fact, i was contemplating on getting very light tints of sun film for my side windows since i literally get cooked in the car sometimes ad without the films, getting rid of heat is difficult for a car being parked in the sun(due to circumstances).
Old 8th August 2013, 17:40   #1859
BHPian

for someone who stays near OMR (say Navalur/semmencherry), what is the best route with predictable (?) traffic to reach Chennai Central ?
Old 8th August 2013, 17:59   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
for someone who stays near OMR (say Navalur/semmencherry), what is the best route with predictable (?) traffic to reach Chennai Central ?
Share auto till Taramani or Thiruvanmiyur MRTS station, then catch the next train to Park Town station, and finally, walk through the sub-way to reach Central. There are trains every 5 minutes or less, between 5pm and 8pm (?).

By car/bike, the easiest would be to reach Thiruvanmiyur somehow, then follow an MTC A1 volvo bus religiously - they used to cover the distance in less than an hour even with peak weekend evening traffic. I am talking about the usual route via Adyar, Mylapore, etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks