Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 11:38   #1876
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I suppose every little bit helps - but how is this road going to improve things unless the Sholinganallur-Medavakkam stretch is also developed at the same time? This stretch used to be a pothole-ridden nightmare the last time I checked.
Once the bypass project gets completed, they should start widening that stretch. Otherwise that will turn out to be a huge bottle neck.

Here's a rough sketch of the proposed bypass road as per my understanding of the news report.

The line in red depicts the proposed highway:

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-capture.png
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 14:26   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
but how is this road going to improve things unless the Sholinganallur-Medavakkam stretch is also developed at the same time? This stretch used to be a pothole-ridden nightmare the last time I checked.
This stretch is being relaid (quite some part already done).
Old 14th August 2013, 20:34   #1878
BHPian

The madipakkam-medavakkam road (especially between keelkattalai-nanganallur) was in a broken state off late and the recent rains have completely disabled it. I ve seen road repairs take place on this stretch many times but the surface hardly lasts for a week. The quality of materials used is probably poor if not the poorest. The volume of traffic is quiet high especially during peak hours as a result of poor urban planning and now the poor maintenance only adds to the woes.

Last edited by BoeingDriver : 14th August 2013 at 20:37.
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:39   #1879
Senior - BHPian

What is the status of the sun film removal drive? All seems quiet on that front. I am postponing my Pondy drive due to this!
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:00   #1880
BHPian

I think the sun film drive got cooled down now, It was hot during 1st -2nd week of August since there were VIP visits during that time.
Old 22nd August 2013, 21:40   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
I think the sun film drive got cooled down now, It was hot during 1st -2nd week of August since there were VIP visits during that time.
It was there at the Valluvar Kottam junction last Sunday and they were stopping almost every car with the sunfilm.
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:12   #1882
VKS
BHPian

^^ . Outside Tidel park, OMR last Sunday around noon. I saw a couple of cars stopped and the sun films were getting removed .
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:06   #1883
BHPian

A colleague got stopped on Cathedral Road this week in the evening multiple times by cops for sun film.

Also any idea for the bad traffic yesterday evening between Kandanchavadi and tidel around 6:30 PM ?
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:37   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Traffic got worse today between guindy and nandanam. With the sun playing its part chennai is at its worst day at this time of the year.

Heard there is a stoppage of work in some of the metro spots including one near guindy station.

If that is the case, why not remove the scaffolding and let the traffic atleast ease out instead of blocking the already narrow, unplanned guindy railway over bridge.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:45   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
It was there at the Valluvar Kottam junction last Sunday and they were stopping almost every car with the sunfilm.
Oh my bad!. Sorry for the mislead info, I was out last weekend and i have not seen any cop stopping cars with black tint. but other members do see this. So it seems the drive is still on.
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:01   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The route I take everyday generally has steady,fast moving traffic (Chromepet-Guindy) except a couple of bottlenecks. At these places, two wheelers coming very close or attempting to squeeze through very close to my car give me high BP! If you generally observe two wheeler riders for a small distance, you can easily tell a person who also drives a car apart from the one who rides only a bike. The first type will have both side RVMs, actually make use of them, will not switch lanes abruptly and will not approach cars too closely. It is always better to keep our distance from the second type, unless fate pushes you close to them!

For this very reason, and also because it is faster, I mainly use my bike for commuting to work. The car is mainly used for week-ends, and for trips that involve more than two people or out on the highways.
For the second type of riders(and indeed for many auto drivers in Chennai), looking right and tilting their head for a milli-second is also their "right indicator" .... no indicator lights or hands put out...
Old 23rd August 2013, 16:46   #1887
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have sometimes seen specimens driving autorikshaws stick their leg out to indicate a change of direction!
Old 26th August 2013, 19:16   #1888
Senior - BHPian

With the ever increasing road traffic in Chennai, seriously wish we get a dedicated track to ply our cars this way:

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-541821_504960366207321_8256772_n.jpg
Old 27th August 2013, 11:07   #1889
BHPian

I was driving in Chennai for the past 3 days after a gap of more than a year and things have improved I guess. Now the Vadapalani stretch, around Ashok Pillar, SAF Games Village, Koyambedu et al has decent drivable lines. The traffic seems to move slowly as before but it was managable. The Padi bridge, Kathipara Bridge and also the Tambaram-Mudichur flyovers are slightly confusing as I had to negotiate all these bridges in a single day and they confused me all the more. The Egmore-Central stretch had a sea of people in it and the vehicle literally had to run on 1 BHP per hour. The Traffic Police collecting their dues from the Lorries plying in the Kilakattalai to Velacherry stretch slowed down the traffic.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:09   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I have sometimes seen specimens driving autorikshaws stick their leg out to indicate a change of direction!
This kind of direction showing is THE order of the day in Baroda, Ahmedabad and other parts of Gujarath.
Esp, the Autorickshaws indicate only this way there.

No offence to anybody!

Regards,
Maverick79

Most Viewed