Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 20:51   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

It was an auspicious Tuesday, and I was able to park in Nalli's car park and get out again with no trouble.

Went to Nalli and Pumpahar today: made me feel like being a tourist again!

Manim, don't worry! Even though the newspapers seem to show Chennai getting worse daily, it is still not bad place. I'm sure your trip will be fine.
Old 12th October 2010, 20:59   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
I avoid T.nagar all together because of these parking issues.if its really necessary to go to T.nagar for shopping(with mom and wife) then i will try to park it in chennai silks parking lot. No parking fees as long as you buy something from chennai silks.
Sigh..! I avoid the place like the plague - but for the womenfolk at home, as far as saris are concerned, "if it ain't bought at T'Nagar, it ain't bought at all"! For God's sake, my wife makes me drive past the Naihaa showroom right at Chromepet all the way to Pondy Bazar, to visit - what else - Naidu Hall!
Old 12th October 2010, 21:00   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
This attitude can be changed. Slap a hefty fine. the amount should be big enough to make him think 10 times before breaking a traffic rule.
Haha...did you think Govt didn't know this? To me...
Hefty fines = easy money for cops

And that's precisely the hefty fines will not work. Did you know that failing to respond within 30 days after filing an RTI application attracts about Rs 250 a day for the concerned officer? But they respond back to Govt saying, they're understaffed to answer within 30 days & hence the Rs 250 per day isn't working. This is a law that got passed recently in 2005 Sep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Simple - In Bangalore most of them, i would say 99% wear a helmet. I see the police promptly catching people without a helmet. If the Police can "enforce" the law, it will be followed.
Exactly my point; not only the police, but all the Govt employees should start doing their jobs sincerely. Atleast let them treat the rich & politicians separately, start enforcing the laws atleast with common man first, then automatically things will start falling into place.
Old 13th October 2010, 03:22   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Our Govt policies are always useless. For instance, instead of being stringent on driving test & driving school, they'll implement stringent law to enforce submitting more proofs on DOB & address
Well said! The rules are so stupid that the address in my DL, issued by Chennai RTO, was not accepted as a proof of my address when I went to the RTO to register my bike. But you know what, when I took a LIC policy for some paltry sum and produced that certificate they gladly accepted that as a proof of address. The LIC agent was ready to get me a policy with no address proof
Old 13th October 2010, 18:16   #200
BHPian

Guys, I came across this article in TOI.

Territory war on city roads - The Times of India

Most of the Share Autos, Autos and Tata Magic doesnot have permits. Now everyone is pin pointing others mistake and are not ready to accept their mistakes. This is life in chennai, I feel pity for the commuters for beging taken for a ride on these overcrowded share autos. This will come to an end only when the Metro projects is operational and the MTC services are better streamlined and people prefer MTC/Metro for their local commute.
Old 13th October 2010, 19:40   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Sigh..! I avoid the place like the plague - but for the womenfolk at home, as far as saris are concerned, "if it ain't bought at T'Nagar, it ain't bought at all"! For God's sake, my wife makes me drive past the Naihaa showroom right at Chromepet all the way to Pondy Bazar, to visit - what else - Naidu Hall!
same case here.
We got shifted to pammal very recently and got a chance to visit Naiha showroom in a weekday.
There was no crowd at all and that was much needed relief when compared to the "no space to breath" Naidu hall in t.nagar.
Showroom was all ours...
Old 13th October 2010, 21:03   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Now everyone is pin pointing others mistake and are not ready to accept their mistakes.
This is case in this entire country!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
I feel pity for the commuters for beging taken for a ride on these overcrowded share autos. This will come to an end only when the Metro projects is operational and the MTC services are better streamlined and people prefer MTC/Metro for their local commute.
Nope; by then the population of Chennai will be even more; as you'll be aware that the Govt plans everything based on current scenario; by the time it gets implemented...I leave it to you to imagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
We got shifted to pammal very recently and got a chance to visit Naiha showroom in a weekday.
There was no crowd at all and that was much needed relief when compared to the "no space to breath" Naidu hall in t.nagar.
+1; Same case with Ambattur Naidu hall during weekdays.
Old 13th October 2010, 21:59   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

If you guys want to enjoy a visit to Naidu Hall, then I recommend the kotivakkam branch.

Why? Because I have never seen such a number of amazingly beautiful women working in one shop.

Only problem, of course, is one needs wife as entrance ticket
Old 14th October 2010, 07:57   #204
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone notice that there's a survey being carried out on traffic volume or something at OMR road? They've pitched a tent & table at left side of the road when coming from Madhya Kailash. I guess TNRDC & some other dept along with some private player has JV'd to carry out this survey. Today is the second day I'm seeing them. Worst thing is, I saw about 7-8 children, must be in the age group of 13ish writing down the notes.
Old 14th October 2010, 09:42   #205
BHPian

I noticed this yesterday morning. This was around Thoraipakkam I guess. There was one guy in the tent and from the looks of it he wasn't very interested. Did not seem to be doing much in there. I wonder what the survey is for - any ideas?
Old 14th October 2010, 10:11   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Only problem, of course, is one needs wife as entrance ticket
You could always ask your wife to meet you at the cash counter after her purchase while you take a look at dhotis and kurtas for yourself.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:59   #207
BHPian

Yesterday morning @7AM, took me about 40 mins to cross Thirumangalam and Koyambedu junctions; to get on the NH towards Bangalore. Last time when I drove around (3 months back), I found the same stretch much better even during peak hours.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:46   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Yesterday morning @7AM, took me about 40 mins to cross Thirumangalam and Koyambedu junctions; to get on the NH towards Bangalore. Last time when I drove around (3 months back), I found the same stretch much better even during peak hours.
Which way did you take? You should probably consider taking Mogappair-Ambattur-Nolumbur-Maduravoyal route to avoid the traffic at Anna nagar.

Alternative would be Mogappair-Golden Eagle theatre-NH4
Old 14th October 2010, 14:11   #209
Senior - BHPian

Best is to go up to Ambattur Estate from Tirumangalam and then from there join the Chennai Byepass. No point going all they way to Koyambedu to join NH4. One more easy alternative is to take the Padikuppam road (left at Park Road Jn.) and join NH4 just after the Market entrance.
Old 14th October 2010, 14:19   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You could always ask your wife to meet you at the cash counter after her purchase while you take a look at dhotis and kurtas for yourself.
I had an even better deal. As she refused to take me to the underwear counter, where she was buying, she left me to chat to the girls at the sari counter .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks