Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2014, 17:24   #2116
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Noticed a stupid lady driver last week in front of Spencer Plaza. While coming from Thousand lights, in the traffic signal after Spencer Plaza, you could take a free left (inside the plastic barricades).

This lady in Blue-green new gen Dzire comes straight at the plastic barricade, totally confused as to go inside the barricade or stick on to the main road to take a left, stretches out herself to see the barricade and does a last min right weave and misses a two wheeler by an inch (just because the rider managed to weave right). The rider & pillion throws a sharp look at the lady, heaving deep sighs.

The lady neither sees the two wheeler even after crossing nor is aware of the damage she almost caused, confused as hell as she was and continues driving! No look in the OVRMs, no botheration!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th February 2014 at 17:26.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 17:40   #2117
BHPian

well on friday last below the kasi theatre bridge going towards guindy from below a city NHC was taking the turn and there was a civic reversing (reversing on that small strip of so called tarmac) and the city guy sees that and goes ahead (slow speed 20-25kmph) but the civic guy steers to right and the city guy lands up witha front fender hanging onto the car by 10% rest on road. no pics as was on 2W. dunno who to blame and to add the civic guy was aided by a guy giving direction.

felt sorry for the city( I mean the car ) guy
cheers
Old 11th February 2014, 20:06   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
On a related note.... saw this on CCTP FB Page today!

Attachment 1206734
It warms one's heart to see such posts!
Old 13th February 2014, 07:04   #2119
Senior - BHPian

OT:
hey chennai folks, need your advise here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3368424

How are you folks combating the mosquito menace? I am seriously fed up.
Old 13th February 2014, 08:32   #2120
Senior - BHPian

^^^Have replied on that thread, phamilyman.
Old 20th February 2014, 16:29   #2121
Senior - BHPian

<rant>
Saw this on OMR. A Sumo Cab braked hard, a dZire behind him braked hard. I was following behind, but with decent distance, so was able to stop without any drama. The biker who was on my side, on the other hand, banged onto the back and dented the rear bumper pretty well, and escaped as soon as he recovered. Not sure if the dzire had hit the sumo.
I've been rear ended and hit by bikes plenty on this stretch. Every time They escape as if nothing happened, and how things suddenly get ugly when the roles are reversed.
Every time I have my indicators on, given enough notice, and turning into a service lane, somebody tries to squeeze into what is left of the gap on the left side, and gives you indignant looks if you don't stop for him.

I don't know what makes so many bikers in this part of the world so aggressive and self righteous than their four wheeled counterparts .

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th February 2014 at 16:31.
greenhorn is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 18:15   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
<rant>
Saw this on OMR. A Sumo Cab braked hard, a dZire behind him braked hard. I was following behind, but with decent distance, so was able to stop without any drama. The biker who was on my side, on the other hand, banged onto the back and dented the rear bumper pretty well, and escaped as soon as he recovered. Not sure if the dzire had hit the sumo.
I've been rear ended and hit by bikes plenty on this stretch. Every time They escape as if nothing happened, and how things suddenly get ugly when the roles are reversed.
Every time I have my indicators on, given enough notice, and turning into a service lane, somebody tries to squeeze into what is left of the gap on the left side, and gives you indignant looks if you don't stop for him.

I don't know what makes so many bikers in this part of the world so aggressive and self righteous than their four wheeled counterparts .
It can be explained by Darwin - "survival of the fittest" - such scum feel they have to get ahead of everyone one else at whatever cost to others.

Been through this multiple times as well and my curse and what I yell at the biker is "I hope you buy a car soon !". Goes without saying the unsaid part is "and may the same fate happen to you as soon as possible !"

Others have had the guts to coolly state "nothing happenned, its just a scratch" when in fact there is a dent. Few months back an activa rider hit and tore off my Swifts rear mud flaps with his left side passenger foot rest (flat plate type foot rest) when I was stopped at a signal - just when signal changes - and gave me the above comment when I opened the window. I get home to see the mudflap missing !
Old 20th February 2014, 18:50   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. We have a thread on the forum discussing whether SUVs intimidate other road-users, but in Chennai, car-drivers are actually intimidated by these pesky 2-wheelers, not only in terms of damage to our cars but also about the possibility of physical injury to the riders, due to their own actions.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 09:06   #2124
BHPian

The situation in OMR is much better than it was a year back. At least there seems to be service lanes now! I always used to think that it's only the cab guys who drive rashly on OMR but after driving few times on OMR and also on the Thoraipakkam-Pallavaram ring road it's quite clear that it's not only the cab guys but also majority of the IT folks who drive rashly.

@greenhorn - Hope it's not a major damage to the rear dumper. Might be a 3K job to remove the dent and to repaint.
Old 21st February 2014, 09:59   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hmm. We have a thread on the forum discussing whether SUVs intimidate other road-users, but in Chennai, car-drivers are actually intimidated by these pesky 2-wheelers, not only in terms of damage to our cars but also about the possibility of physical injury to the riders, due to their own actions.
Very true - was actually wanting to post that exact thought on that thread :-). However it is only because of the fear of damage they can cause to a car you have taken care of so carefully that one has to go through such torture.
Old 27th February 2014, 11:35   #2126
Senior - BHPian

Traffic signal lights installed on OMR at entrance to SIPCOT IT park Siruseri ....welcome move by CCTP .

It seemed to have eased flow/congestion during the morning (~ 10:30am)...would be interesting to see if it has a positive effect during the heavy evening-peak-hour traffic.
Old 27th February 2014, 13:48   #2127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
After one month of heart in the mouth lowlife-dodging experiences, I finally get my 'crash' course on Chennai's traffic discipline. An imbecile in a splendor speeds down the wrong side of a divided road (100 feet bypass road, Velachery), crashing into my Alto's front bumper. The moron picks up the bike and leaves without a care in the world. Damages: a broken number plate, a badly bent bumper which most probably needs a replacement and a completely ruined day
Barricades have cometh!! in Velachery byepass, since a few days. And that too, considering the sheer width of the road at these points where they are put, about 4 are put serially in each set, and 3 sets means it would be nothing but a single stream of vehicles meandering through these, and all the related chaos and confusion before and after these chicanes due to the merging and weaving.
Just guessing, the set up would have been necessitated by some weird accident or one near to that situation.
But a fair amount of sense could have been injected to the traffic, had they clearly marked the 3 lanes soon after the surface was newly laid few weeks back. Ever after the new surface, it looked like a runway, but each one following its own lane, or rather their own path of merry.
Still it is never late to have some lanes at least for disciplined drivers’ sake
Old 27th February 2014, 15:04   #2128
Senior - BHPian

there is a very obstructive set of barricades that have appeared Just in front of the bridge at Karapakkam while coming in from Sholinganallur side. There are three of them, and you need to slow down a LOT to negotiate them. As you pass the Standard & Chartered/TCS buildings, slow down!
Old 27th February 2014, 16:09   #2129
BHPian

This is not a rant for a change in this thread. Sodium vapour lamps on stretch from Porur to Valsaravakkam on Arcot Road has been replaced with white LED lights. It has become very convenient to ride as the roads are much brighter especially near Naiha and Saravana Bhavan! I remember this being presented in 2012 budget which is being implemented now!

What was more surprising was that the entire work was done in 3-4 days without disturbing traffic! Don't know if it is being done in other parts as well!
adarsh.n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 18:13   #2130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
there is a very obstructive set of barricades that have appeared Just in front of the bridge at Karapakkam while coming in from Sholinganallur side. There are three of them, and you need to slow down a LOT to negotiate them. As you pass the Standard & Chartered/TCS buildings, slow down!
Yes. It was too bad of alignment where it creates an unnecessary traffic. But yesterday I saw that the barricades were put to onside of the road (||) and lot of shattered wind shield pieces exactly on the same place.

Someone would have rear ended and people realized barricades are not required.
Its' too late..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks