Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2015, 07:41   #2431
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, Street view of course, but the Indian govt won't allow it.
Not sure of the legalities nor am i a legal person, but shouldnt the same apply to this website as well. How different is Google different from this company, other than its an Indian company.
Old 8th February 2015, 07:49   #2432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Not sure of the legalities nor am i a legal person, but shouldnt the same apply to this website as well. How different is Google different from this company, other than its an Indian company.
yes, its pretty much like google streetview. However in streetview the presentation is such that the surroundings of the road is also captured. Here only the front view, that too in a video is captured. Google Streetview cars had taken wifi details of the devices on route. A spying was done in that sense (they were fined as well for it).

Similar video mapping being done by Mapmyindia team was caught by police.
Old 8th February 2015, 20:57   #2433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I cannot quote anything, only a memory of some media report that Google wanted to send the street-view cars around India, but were not allowed.

Can anyone confirm/deny?
Old 9th February 2015, 12:24   #2434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone confirm/deny?
Yes, there was /is a ban on the same still. Even I am not sure how only certain companies get that permission, however my guess is that the ban is for non-Indian companies.

Link
Old 9th February 2015, 13:27   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Here only the front view, that too in a video is captured. Google Streetview cars had taken wifi details of the devices on route. A spying was done in that sense (they were fined as well for it).

Similar video mapping being done by Mapmyindia team was caught by police.
Quote:
I cannot quote anything, only a memory of some media report that Google wanted to send the street-view cars around India, but were not allowed.

Can anyone confirm/deny?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes, there was /is a ban on the same still. Even I am not sure how only certain companies get that permission, however my guess is that the ban is for non-Indian companies.

Link
Capture of wifi details was unwarranted. Not sure the idea behind it!! They should have restricted to street view.

Not sure why the police should restrict streetview / mapmyindia, if they were capturing on public road, on things that are in public view without any specific restriction of photography like dams, military areas or other sensitive areas. If required they could have the video cleared by some security agency. When information is hosted on the web or available for public sale, there is not much difference on MNC vs Indian companies (apart from the location of the host).

By the same logic wont the dash cams be illegal, though they capture far less areas than street view or mapmyindia intends to do.
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:47   #2436
BHPian

Has anyone noticed the traffic on GST road has increased? My daily commute is from Perugalathur to Pallikaranai. Was out of town about 20 days and came back this weekend. Noticed that the traffic is way too high even as late as 11PM. Tried the alternate route via Medavakkam, still it is not what it used to be.
Usually the traffic at this stretch at its peak from 7PM - 9PM and starts reducing by 9:30PM or so. Yesterday was a nightmare, even at 11PM the traffic is just too high. Is there something happening somewhere down this road which is clogging up the route?
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:37   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
Has anyone noticed the traffic on GST road has increased? My daily commute is from Perugalathur to Pallikaranai. Was out of town about 20 days and came back this weekend. Noticed that the traffic is way too high even as late as 11PM. Tried the alternate route via Medavakkam, still it is not what it used to be.
Usually the traffic at this stretch at its peak from 7PM - 9PM and starts reducing by 9:30PM or so. Yesterday was a nightmare, even at 11PM the traffic is just too high. Is there something happening somewhere down this road which is clogging up the route?
@Naveen, newly opened saravana stores to be blamed here. Hang on, the worst is yet to come as I heard that Jeyachandran is going to open one store opposite to saravanas.

In my commute from Karapakkam to Mudichur, I noticed the traffic increased drastically after this store opened in Chromepet.
Old 24th April 2015, 11:49   #2438
BHPian

There one more Saravana store going to be opened near PADI. To be precise, exactly opposite to TVS Lucas company. I just hope they arrange for a fair parking space before embarking on such ventures. Money! Money! Money!
Old 27th April 2015, 17:56   #2439
BHPian

Heard that another Saravana Store is to be opened near the Sutherland Building in Vijayanagaram/Velachery Bus stand. Not sure how far this is true. The place is already congested due to Chennai Silks showroom near the MRTS station, the new one will only add up to the chaos....

In another Incident, have you ever seen a driver dozing off on his wheels in a traffic Signal!! Witnessed this today morning while driving from Madhya Kailash. The traffic was heavy and I was waiting from VHS to take a U turn near the Tidel Signal. A Verna which was in front of me did not move for more than 15 - 20 secs and I had to walk down from my car only to find that the driver had dozed off in his seat. Luckily the doors were not locked and had to literally shake him off from his sleep. Poor chap being over worked I think or probably unwell. Pity that guy. It was a private vehicle.

Later realized that I could have become a victim of theft of my laptop bag and my mobile phone coz I had not locked my car before getting down.

Rgds......
Old 27th April 2015, 18:21   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
There one more Saravana store going to be opened near PADI. To be precise, exactly opposite to TVS Lucas company. I just hope they arrange for a fair parking space before embarking on such ventures. Money! Money! Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Heard that another Saravana Store is to be opened near the Sutherland Building in Vijayanagaram/Velachery Bus stand. Not sure how far this is true. The place is already congested due to Chennai Silks showroom near the MRTS station, the new one will only add up to the chaos....

Rgds......

Talking of SS,...
You are right jacksparrow!
Saw the board coming up in Vijayanagar while I was passing on Saturday (I have been hearing they are coming up since some time). Exact locaton is:There was this building/tower called Teledata (between Vijayanagar junction and Sutherland Office) and this building is now going to be Saravana Stores. Will be interesting to see how they (mis)handle the parking requirements and how many laws will be flouted**.
Old 8th May 2015, 09:30   #2441
BHPian

These days driving in Chennai has become a depressing and morose event. First of all whats with the barricades everywhere(all over TN), it creates unnecessary bottle-necks and chaos.

On Tuesday reached Chengelpet at 7:15PM, during my drive from Tiruchirapalli, and it was 8:55PM by the Time I reached my house in Nanganallur. The only way you can survive in Chennai traffic these days is following the quote," Might is right". Unruly two-wheelers, Jay walkers, bad pedestrians that choose to cross the road at the exact moment when the signal goes green, Bus drivers who don't give a damn, lorry and autorickshaw drivers that love hogging the right lane, Taxi drivers who like to say 'hi' to you in full on doggy style all up your car's rear . Basically every time I start up my car's motor I hear war cries!

Even after all this I can keep ranting on how bad it is to drive in Chennai. But recently I had to spend two months in Hyderabad(Dec-Feb), doing my final year project and all that I would say is, it is still more relaxing to drive in Chennai. No offense to Hyderabad BHP-ians, but you know exactly what I mean.

Last edited by Shanksta : 8th May 2015 at 09:48.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 14:08   #2442
Distinguished - BHPian

A journey from Baby Nagar, Velachery, to Palavakkam, via OMR, the other day...

Good: a bus driver stopped for me to make the difficult right turn onto the Tharamani road towards OMR, made all the more difficult by being a steep hill start up to the road itself. They are not all bad!

Bad: The Tharamani Rd/OMR signal had just turned green for my right turn onto OMR, and I had started moving, an elderly guy on a bicycle pedalled slowly across me without even looking. Age doesn't bring wisdom if one never had any sense in the first place!

Yes, I agree with your comments. Not all my drives involve suffering (thankfully I don't have to commute) but, wisdom or no, I really feel I am getting too old for this Chennai-driving game.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 14:54   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
A journey from Baby Nagar, Velachery, to Palavakkam, via OMR, the other day...

Good: a bus driver stopped for me to make the difficult right turn onto the Tharamani road towards OMR, made all the more difficult by being a steep hill start up to the road itself. They are not all bad!

Bad: The Tharamani Rd/OMR signal had just turned green for my right turn onto OMR, and I had started moving, an elderly guy on a bicycle pedalled slowly across me without even looking. Age doesn't bring wisdom if one never had any sense in the first place!

Yes, I agree with your comments. Not all my drives involve suffering (thankfully I don't have to commute) but, wisdom or no, I really feel I am getting too old for this Chennai-driving game.
actually, most people (autos, cabs, buses etc) drive sensibly. Its the bad ones who make life miserable for all.
Old 8th May 2015, 23:41   #2444
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not sure that I can agree with "most people," expecially when it comes to categories like cab drivers, school/college/employment bus drivers etc, but it is always the bad drivers we notice, so my perception might well be skewed.
Old 9th May 2015, 00:11   #2445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure that I can agree with "most people," expecially when it comes to categories like cab drivers, school/college/employment bus drivers etc, but it is always the bad drivers we notice, so my perception might well be skewed.
You never notice the awesomely well behaved 90% of chennai drivers till you move to Gurgaon :-)

Come spend a day here !
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks