Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2015, 00:07   #2491
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

What about the weight of the huge concrete "rock" now sitting on top of the tunnel? Or will it actually help?

I see R K Mutt Road now has a median. Expect two things:

1. More people driving on wrong side of road.

2. The median to disappear into the ever-returning hole near BSNL. There must be a bottomless pit under the road there!
Old 6th July 2015, 10:39   #2492
BHPian

This is the scene I encountered in a busy stretch of Poonamallee High Road near the new Metro Rail office. Driving has become such a pain these days
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-ph-road-image.jpg  

Old 6th July 2015, 14:31   #2493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
..........................One such incident happened in KK nagar near where I live. The road had caved in above the drainage and it the repair work is going on for atleast 6 - 7 months. Not sure why it takes so long.
Have you ever seen RK Mutt Road Stretch from Mandaveli Bus Terminus till the music college? The road condition is better now, but during my school days the road was frequently dug up which led to the instability of the soil. What ever repair work was done, the road will cave-in in 5 - 6 month's time and so is the case now, it has slowly started to get uneven in certain parts especially near the girls school. Same situation at Devanathan street in Mandaveli near Ranga Hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
.........................2. The median to disappear into the ever-returning hole near BSNL. There must be a bottomless pit under the road there!
Absolutely right..

Has anyone noted that the traffic conditions at Tidel park has worsened up in the last 3-4 days. I waited for 30 mins today to take a U turn near Tidel Signal and vehicles were piling up right after VHS...

Last edited by Jack Sparrow : 6th July 2015 at 14:44.
Old 6th July 2015, 15:01   #2494
BHPian

Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Have you ever seen RK Mutt Road Stretch from Mandaveli Bus Terminus till the music college? The road condition is better now, but during my school days the road was frequently dug up which led to the instability of the soil. What ever repair work was done, the road will cave-in in 5 - 6 month's time and so is the case now, it has slowly started to get uneven in certain parts especially near the girls school. Same situation at Devanathan street in Mandaveli near Ranga Hospital..
No I've never been there in recent times and even in past might have just crossed. Hope the situation improves.

Quote:

Has anyone noted that the traffic conditions at Tidel park has worsened up in the last 3-4 days. I waited for 30 mins today to take a U turn near Tidel Signal and vehicles were piling up right after VHS...

It's not only at tidel park. A 15 min trip to my office now takes more than half hour. I think more cars are now out due to the heat.

Yesterday after a long time I took my scooter to a local super market and the heat was simply not bearable.
Old 6th July 2015, 16:58   #2495
BHPian

Was roaming around Mandaiveli and Mylapore and noticed that there are relaying all the major roads. Especially in the night. They were relaying PS Sivaswamy road day before yesterday at 1:00 AM in the morning.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 13:03   #2496
Senior - BHPian

This dog has more road sense than most chennai pedestrians

hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 11:42   #2497
BHPian

I seriously don't know what happens to the Vandalur to Guduvanchery stretch in the mornings. Today there was a so much of traffic build up that it took 1.5 hours for me from Vandalur to Guduvanchery.

Years back, when there is a Traffic build up, we would at least know the reason - some bus would have broken down in the middle of the road, or two people would be fighting over an braze. These days, it is near to impossible to find the reason of the traffic jam.

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 13th July 2015 at 11:43.
Old 13th July 2015, 13:26   #2498
BHPian

Well on a lighter note since vandalur is nearby it would be some serious monkey business.
Seriously I prefer to cross the perungaluthurcstretch perungaluthur stretch either before 4pm or after 9pm or coming inside chennai is a energy sapping experience.
Old 13th July 2015, 21:35   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I seriously don't know what happens to the Vandalur to Guduvanchery stretch in the mornings. Today there was a so much of traffic build up that it took 1.5 hours for me from Vandalur to Guduvanchery.
There should be some name to this. May be ghost traffic. And this happens so frequenty in the states where there is a sudden slow down and you hope for a broken down car or whatever but you realize you are now moving back at normal pace with no real reason for the traffic slowdown.

Few things i would say is may be an accident that held the traffic was cleared and what you are going through is just the release of those traffic or may be a temp hold for a procession including death that would have stopped the traffic for few minutes.

You need elevated highway from Tambaram to Chengelput. Else this stretch is only going to get worse.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:03   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
There should be some name to this. May be ghost traffic. And this happens so frequenty in the states where there is a sudden slow down and you hope for a broken down car or whatever but you realize you are now moving back at normal pace with no real reason for the traffic slowdown.

Few things i would say is may be an accident that held the traffic was cleared and what you are going through is just the release of those traffic or may be a temp hold for a procession including death that would have stopped the traffic for few minutes.

You need elevated highway from Tambaram to Chengelput. Else this stretch is only going to get worse.

Various reasons.

1. Bus stops in highway. Because of this, cars behind the bus are stranded and once they try to change lane, the traffic on the clear lane is also disrupted.

2. Too many intersections in the stretch. Invariably, you need to stop for crossing pedestrians or vehicles in most of them.

3. Non adherance of speed limit. Once a senior policeman said if all vehicles are within the speed limit, there will be not much of a jam.
And places where the speed limits move from 80 to 40 in GST road, the rate of vehicles moving in to the lower limit area far exceeds the vehicles moving thru the area. hence the jam.

Yes, we defenitely need an elevated highway. But what happened to the byepass from vandalur to manali. When is it getting ready. Opening that might free the vandalur signal a bit.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:38   #2501
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back posts.

Posted the above comment and had gone down for a break and I see this. Sardar patel road at 11.15 AM.

All for this convoy of our beloved Governor. One more reason for traffic biuld up on our roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_3098.jpg  

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_3099.jpg  

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_3100.jpg  

Old 14th July 2015, 12:07   #2502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Various reasons.

Yes, we defenitely need an elevated highway. But what happened to the byepass from vandalur to manali. When is it getting ready. Opening that might free the vandalur signal a bit.
The bye pass is done upto Nemilichery, other phase to Minjur is in progress. BTW, I dont think this will help in freeing up Vandalur signal, since vehicles coming in join just before Vandaur signal, it will only add to the chaos.
Old 14th July 2015, 15:21   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
There was an accident in the morning near Guduvanchery

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7419124.ece
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 17:43   #2504
BHPian

What's happening on the Chennai Bypass road from Tambaram to Porur Toll these days?
Morons driving at 100+ kmph with just parking lamps, changing lanes at break neck speeds without caring about the fellow motorists, constant honking and zipping through huge trucks and tankers!

Most of these morons are well educated IT blokes who behave like thugs while driving :(
Old 17th July 2015, 21:37   #2505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's happening on the Chennai Bypass road from Tambaram to Porur Toll these days?
Morons driving at 100+ kmph with just parking lamps, changing lanes at break neck speeds without caring about the fellow motorists, constant honking and zipping through huge trucks and tankers!

Most of these morons are well educated IT blokes who behave like thugs while driving :(
People will never learn. Just few weeks back we lost a friend in the same road. For regulars they know the roads are not really well laid and except one stretch where you can test you bike the rest of the stretch is strictly a no-no when it comes to testing your speeds.

Just a simple reason that the roads are bad is enough to stop pushing your bike. The distance is around 21 kms and no matter how fast your ride/drive you save less than 5 mins. Is that worth it is what everyone should ask themselves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks