Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 23:14   #2521
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
By 2011-13, when you did MEPZ, the traffic scenario had already turned bad with the roads unable to cope with the growing-by-day bikes/cars. I used to do Adyar - MEPZ in the mid-nineties and it was so much fun riding with the sparse traffic on GST Road. Good old days.

You are right about us in Chennai being harsh on pedestrians. In the nineties, bikers/cars used to respect the Stop line, violating which would result in a Rs50 fine (big in those days).
Thanks for that insight sir. I was not in Chennai between 1993-99 and i have no idea of the traffic conditions nor the law enforcement. I was too young back then, to notice anything when I did visit Chennai back then. It feels good to know that there were better days once; maybe it's just the overcrowding that's the cause. Overcrowded New York City, for example, is harsh all around on motorists and pedestrians. But neighbouring states/cities are exemplary in road manners.
Old 29th July 2015, 22:11   #2522
Senior - BHPian

For the past month or two, the traffic jam from airport flyover till OTA in the mornings has become very bad. Vehicles back-up on the flyover itself, and I was invariably late to office, despite starting 15 - 20 minutes earlier.

So, for the time being I am using neither my car nor bike, and am taking the EMU to work. Happily leaving home at 8.30 AM, Rs 10.00 by share auto to Chromepet station, 15 minutes by train to Guindy, again Rs 10.00 by share auto to office, which I reach sharp at 9.00 AM! In the evening on the way home I walk at both ends.

Both car and bike are doing week-end duty only. If I am not going anywhere, I simply drive the car through Radial road till Thoraipakkam and come back home on Sunday mornings; ditto with the bike in the evening!

And oh, the monthly season ticket fare is Rs 100.00!

Last edited by Gansan : 29th July 2015 at 22:14.
Old 29th July 2015, 23:30   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
For the past month or two, the traffic jam from airport flyover till OTA in the mornings has become very bad. Vehicles back-up on the flyover itself, and I was invariably late to office, despite starting 15 - 20 minutes earlier.

So, for the time being I am using neither my car nor bike, and am taking the EMU to work. Happily leaving home at 8.30 AM, Rs 10.00 by share auto to Chromepet station, 15 minutes by train to Guindy, again Rs 10.00 by share auto to office, which I reach sharp at 9.00 AM! In the evening on the way home I walk at both ends.

Both car and bike are doing week-end duty only. If I am not going anywhere, I simply drive the car through Radial road till Thoraipakkam and come back home on Sunday mornings; ditto with the bike in the evening!

And oh, the monthly season ticket fare is Rs 100.00!
Same here. I usually used to take my car/bike to my office @ Tidel - braving the traffic at Velachery signal and then the Taramani link road (connecting to SRP tools,Tiruvanmiyur junction).

So, for the past couple of weeks, I started taking train from Velachery to Tiruvanmiyur. From my home (which is almost on the inner ring road) to the Velachery station, its 3.5 kms (10-15 mins) which I go by bike. And in Tiruvanmiyur, my office is bang opposite to the station.

Though the time-consumed by this is slightly more than going directly to office by bike (not car, mind you), I'm still okay with it as it is absolutely tension-free. Further, as everyone would know, a slight drizzle in Chennai makes it almost floating and it would need special skills to ride a bike.

BTW, Velachery to Tiruvanmiyur (3rd station) costs me Rs.120/- for the monthly season. And it is just Rs.100/- for Chrompet to Guindy (6th station)?? I know its calculated by distance between stations. But even then, yours should be more than what I travel.
Old 29th July 2015, 23:54   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay
BTW, Velachery to Tiruvanmiyur (3rd station) costs me Rs.120/- for the monthly season.
You know what, the monthly season for the full MRTS stretch (Velachery to Beach - 17 stations) is also the same Rs120 that you pay for just 3 stations.

Inspite of me using the MRTS only for 8 journeys a month, I used to get season-ticket just to avoid wasting time standing in line for the ticket. Now with the UTSonmobile app that allows us to book paperless unreserved tickets from our phone, I have ditched the season. Though, for folks like you that travel atleast 20-22 days a month, season works out cheaper.
Old 30th July 2015, 09:17   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
BTW, Velachery to Tiruvanmiyur (3rd station) costs me Rs.120/- for the monthly season. And it is just Rs.100/- for Chrompet to Guindy (6th station)?? I know its calculated by distance between stations. But even then, yours should be more than what I travel.
Tambaram - Kodambakkam is Rs 100.00 a month. This is the lowest slab, so I take it every month. If you buy quarterly, it is Rs 280.00. MRTS seems to be a little more, I don't know the slabs.

But we regularly go to IPL matches by going to beach by EMU and take the MRTS to Chepauk. The return ticket costs only Rs 20.00.

Even when I was an infrequent commuter by train, I always used to buy a season ticket. Simply to avoid ticket queues, in case I wanted to take the train. I used to write off the Rs 100 along with the petrol expense per month!

Last edited by Gansan : 30th July 2015 at 09:44.
Old 30th July 2015, 11:22   #2526
BHPian

As if the 4 wheelers and 2 wheelers are not enough in chaos cyclists too seem to be following the bandwagon.
This morning at Tidel Signal this so called pro cyclist trying to go from extreme left to the right towards the Thiruvanmiyur road while the cars are rolling. He missed my car by a whisker and I honk try to caution this cyclist he goes letting his steam off with profanities in english. Another good day ruined due to a douche.
Old 30th July 2015, 16:50   #2527
BHPian

Well the guy who was riding the bike yesterday is pedaling the cycle today and you should not expect any deviation in behavior.
Be happy that he was generous in using words and did not damage your ride
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 20:24   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
...and did not damage your ride
Well, I can get my fender tinkered and painted he would have broken his bones coming under my wheels.

True and they would even take on 4 wheelers in similar perfection. I pray I don't cross path with such half-baked morons especially when I yearn for a good start in the day.
Old 5th August 2015, 08:06   #2529
BHPian

MH01 is in TN01.

Guys, help me out with some good wheel alignment-balancing shops nr TTK road. There is a MRF tyredrome below the flyover nr Chola. Is that good?
Old 5th August 2015, 10:05   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
MH01 is in TN01.

There is a MRF tyredrome below the flyover nr Chola. Is that good?
I find them to be very good and very professional. May be tad more expensive than others but I have been happy with both my vehicles when they do the alignment and balancing.
Old 5th August 2015, 11:08   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
MH01 is in TN01.

Guys, help me out with some good wheel alignment-balancing shops nr TTK road. There is a MRF tyredrome below the flyover nr Chola. Is that good?
The Tyredrome is one of the oldest automated centres in Chennai. They are supposed to be very good, though a little expensive.
Old 5th August 2015, 12:26   #2532
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if there are bus services running towards Central on Mount Road at 430-5am (will be catching at Teynampet). Got to catch the 6am Shatabdi one of these days.

I've regularly done the return direction arriving on Bangalore Mail (buses start around 5am from High Court)
Old 5th August 2015, 13:50   #2533
BHPian

I have seen buses towards central as early as 4.30-5.00 am from Guindy, which will reach Central well in time for the Shatabdi.

Having said that, I would wager that a train from Mambalam railway station is a safer bet.

Shyam
Old 5th August 2015, 18:37   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are bus services running towards Central on Mount Road at 430-5am (will be catching at Teynampet).
Just take an auto. Best and safest and fastest is the MRTS from Luz, mylapore or any closest place from Teynampet.

I would even advice a call taxi and make it simpler but train services start from 430AM anyways.
Old 5th August 2015, 19:11   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I would even advice a call taxi and make it simpler but train services start from 430AM anyways.
Calling the taxi was what I was thinking, if there is no better option (though am also skeptical what I would do if the taxi doesn't come as planned). I live close to Pondy Bazaar, so takes 10 min for me to get to Teynampet bus stop and about 20-25 min to walk to Mambalam station.

In the reverse direction have taken 18 series that start as early as 4:45, though preferred 11H/11G/11A (start around 5:05 am) that drop much closer to home. Takes about 25 min at that hour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks