Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 18:38   #241
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I need a clarification!

I drive to work through Usman road flyover. The traffic is chaotic after 10AM in the morning. I spend atleast 10-15Mins over the flyover before I could cross the T-Nagar bus terminus.

I noticed something wierd on this flyover, 1 or 2 sections of this flyover moves around like mad. Its a typical sideways movement you feel when a heavy vehicle crosses you at good speed. I thought it usually happens when heavy vehicle movement is there on the bridge as most bridges are designed that way. But this is happening when all the vehicles are at stand still. This is also restricted to the 2 sections infront of Pothys.

Anyone else who noticed this wierd thing or am I the only one feeling wierd things on a boring friday morning drive to work?
Old 29th October 2010, 18:40   #242
Senior - BHPian

^^^
I usually 'fly' over this flyover since I cross this point at 10PM or so and never noticed this phenomenon. Maybe because it is observed at standstill like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead
Both sides are red to enable pedestrians and cyclists to cross that junction.
I see your point. But not sure why both sides are also green at the same time ?

So, while at other signals, we would love it to be green when we approach, at this signal I always approach hoping it to be red. Ofcourse, this comes with the danger of cops lurking behind the petrol-pump, as aargee pointed out.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th October 2010 at 18:42.
Old 29th October 2010, 18:52   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
Cop : You have to pay1500. Leave car. Go to court there. Only then you get car.
Me : I know the rules. I won’t leave my car here. You can give me the receipt and I will go pay the fine in court. But I am not leaving my car here.
Cop : Don’t jump signal.

And he hands me back my license and I am on my way.

I have heard you don’t have to leave your car there for a petty case like that and that too the fine comes to a maximum of 200 or something. I don’t know how much of it is true but I took a chance and luckily he didn’t call my bluff. I cant believe how greedy these people can be. He wanted 500 for such a small thing. Felt like slapping the fellow.
Man you are lucky and you won.
Six months back,I was caught near madhya kailash signal for riding karnataka registration vehicle(bike).
I was under the assumption that chennai police will not catch if we have a woman as pillion.
But to my surprise,i got caught when riding with my wife.
I tried all sorts of arguements but traffic police won't budge.
I told them i will pay 100rs but they did not even respond.
I felt really bad as my wife was also standing in the pavement and also she was getting late for her office.

Conversation went on like this:
Cop: Do you have NOC?
Me: No,I came to chennai only last week.
Cop: Do you have any toll slip as proof
Me:There is no toll slip for bike,they issue it only for cars.
Cop:Any other proof?
Me: No.
Cop: Go and talk to sir.(he means inspector)

I go near him and called him many times "sir",he was not even responding.
Then finally he turns and looks at me as though i have killed somebody and standing before him.
He says "wait" in a stern voice giving me a serious look.

I waited for almost 20mts..more embarassment.i did not know what to do.

Then cop comes to me

Cop:sir is very angry.
me: Sir,Please help me,i am getting late.
Cop:I will talk to sir.
Me.Thank you.

Then he comes back
Cop:You pay 500rs and leave.(This is beacuse of my IT tag)
me:i will pay the fine instead.
cop:You have to pay 2000rs.Is that ok???
me:Yes ok.
Cop:In that case,you have to leave the vehicle here and pay the fine in vadapalani(20kms from that place) and come back.
Me:Ok i will pay you 100rs as i don't have more money with me.
Cop:You take your bike and go to ATM and get the money.

me thinks: i can escape... and about to start the bike.

cop: You leave your wife mobile + wallet
me:No sir.
Cop:Or else.leave your bike and take an auto and go.

Finally, i thought enough is enough as i can't stand my wife standing there+we both were getting late for the office.

Paid 500rs and went to office.
I never ever forget that thing in my life.

If i went alone,may be i would have dealt somewhat differently.
Please be alert when yo go near madhya kailash junction.Police will be eagerly waiting to make a meal out of helpless IT people.
Old 29th October 2010, 19:57   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
Me : I know the rules. I won’t leave my car here. You can give me the receipt and I will go pay the fine in court. But I am not leaving my car here.
Cop : Don’t jump signal.

And he hands me back my license and I am on my way.
Good on you mate.

Last time I was stopped (almost 3 years back) I chickened out and payed 260/-. My car was KL so he knew I'd pay up and also as I had my sis and nephew 4years+ at that time it was around 8:30pm near Madyakailash Signal.

I was stopped for running a green light.

I never jump signals. Ever. I was more pissed of him falsely accusing me.
Traffic Cops here are worse than petty thieves. I pity them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
I was under the assumption that chennai police will not catch if we have a woman as pillion.
As I said these guys are not to uphold the law or the help the public.
KA cops are better. I've personally never has any issues with my KL bike there way back in 2000.
I was actually not stopped when all other single riders were one time as I had my sister as pillion.

Cops back home in KL are extremely polite. They have changed for the better.
Most times with kids and family they will just let you go unless you are drunk or something.

Last edited by yzfrj : 29th October 2010 at 20:04.
Old 29th October 2010, 20:37   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cop:sir is very angry.
Man!!! its really getting on nerves!!! If he's angry with his wife or someone what are we supposed to do?

Quote:
me: Sir,Please help me,i am getting late.
This is the trick they're playing; you need to really act as if you're having all the time. Just lock your vehicle & go the shop on road side. If they yell at you, simply call up 100 & ask if the fine for NOC is Rs 2000 that needs to be paid at Vadapalani when you call 100 too. If you want to really be notorious, do this in front of the police & pretend as if you're talking to someone in commissioner office or Q branch, otherwise, do it without his knowledge.

Quote:
cop:You have to pay 2000rs.Is that ok???
Remember, there's no single fine exceeding Rs 1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Ever. I was more pissed of him falsely accusing me.
Traffic Cops here are worse than petty thieves. I pity them.
Pretty funny Riju!!! You want to drive a KL registered car in TN & expecting the cops not to fine on you when you don't have a NOC? If you've entered for less than 3 months, then I too pity the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Most times with kids and family they will just let you go unless you are drunk or something.
No way!!! I remember reading one of our member's experience with AP registered car in Trivandrum where he was with his sister too!!! He'd to pay Rs 100 baksheesh!!! This is unity among diversity

Last edited by aargee : 29th October 2010 at 20:41.
Old 30th October 2010, 15:47   #246
BHPian

Saturday morning. Browsing through the papers - free entry with this cutting into the Chennai trade center exhibition - Utsav/Times-Interior, good! Also have to give the sewing machine to be serviced - stopped working and wifey's an addict. The shop is at Adyar. So 2 things to do. Its raining but what the heck - lets welcome the NE monsoon with a good drive. This is our monsoon on this coast.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-oct30saturdaydrive.jpg

We start at 10:30 am. Reach C from G. 1 hr gone. With the rains people are very conscious, drivers / people all avoiding the edges and going thru the center of the road, who knows there is a big crater below the puddle. Thiruvanmiyur signal - 5 signals from the Tidel Park signal thru the Thiruvanmiyur signal and cross into LB Road.

11:30 give the sewing machine. Start at 11:45 and we are at Chennai trade center (D) at 12:20 pm. We see a huge crowd in the reverse direction at the Guindy station. We were reminded of Gansan who said that he has hell of a time to cross over Kathipara and close to Little mount. As we proceed over the Kathipara into the Porur direction we see the whole Kathipara choc-o-bloc (towards Guindy) - Wow! We are going to get this in our return direction.

12:20 to 1:00 at the Trade Center. That was quick! Just browsed thru all the stalls. As usual it started with the huge sofas and then into the kitchen, however I was expecting the kilo-plastic-vessels stalls (melamine) and the sundal guy giving you to taste stuff (both of them missing this time), there is the usual Euro-line guys, Berg tandoor, roti maker, rajasthani pickles, cotton socks, grasim shirt/pant and I was expecting in the last section to get some coffee/ice-cream - this is the usual crowded areas. No Vivek/Shah/Vasanth. There were a few auto guys. Very low key this morning. When we came out there was a different stall which sold bhajji/samosa/chat/Marry-Brown - the Samosa/Chat area dished out cold/bad stuff. The Bhajji was the size of a cricket ball - full of yellow-dough. But as it was drizzling it was just ok. So if you go the bhaji could be a better bet. Try the Marry brown maybe. Now for the return journey.

1:00 PM - Start. (E-F-G in map)
2:00 PM - Velachery. About 10 km. Start-stop traffic started from the trade center and ended at Velachery.

Wifey spotted an Alto (Got Bhp? sticker) TN-22 - BYXXXX (the usual Alto color!!!) and this was just before getting onto the Kathipara flyover. Hey, you just overtook 3-4 cars from the right and nose-dived into the lane we were in just before the fly-over ascent started. Till then you were well-behaved and I had already told wifey - "see - team-bhp instills good attitude while driving and that too in deep traffic jams". Nothing against the TN22 guy - please take it in a lighter vein. I am laughing with wifey as I type this in.

We saw 3 vehicles being towed away because of crashes (atleast 2 crashes - that of a Zen Estilo, Grey Ford Fiesta [Doctor driven]) The other was a blue Alto. And before I realized that it was being towed I thought is it "Gansan" on his to work. But then I said, Gansan takes the bike is what I thought he said in one of his posts.

I am fortunate to be taking the Velachery-Tambaram road and into the Thoraipakkam-radial-road into OMR daily - thank the almighty for that. Its tough on the guys who have to take that Kathipara-Guindy-Anna-salai daily for work. Hats off to you all.

Diwali weekend: We should be staying indoors. Anyone, T.Nagar?!

Last edited by jeevmenon : 30th October 2010 at 15:50.
Old 30th October 2010, 16:55   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Man!!! its really getting on nerves!!! If he's angry with his wife or someone what are we supposed to do?

This is the trick they're playing; you need to really act as if you're having all the time. Just lock your vehicle & go the shop on road side. If they yell at you, simply call up 100 & ask if the fine for NOC is Rs 2000 that needs to be paid at Vadapalani when you call 100 too. If you want to really be notorious, do this in front of the police & pretend as if you're talking to someone in commissioner office or Q branch, otherwise, do it without his knowledge.

Remember, there's no single fine exceeding Rs 1000.

No way!!! I remember reading one of our member's experience with AP registered car in Trivandrum where he was with his sister too!!! He'd to pay Rs 100 baksheesh!!! This is unity among diversity
When you get caught,they will try to stamp their authority all over you..
If you talk about rules,they try to talk very tough almost in a threatening manner especially with the inspector around.They will try all sorts of tricks to get whatever they want.
Still there are lot of good cops around who respect and won't disturb you when you travel with family or women.But the list of money hungry black sheeps are growing..
Old 30th October 2010, 18:06   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
12:20 to 1:00 at the Trade Center. That was quick! Just browsed thru all the stalls. As usual it started with the huge sofas and then into the kitchen, however I was expecting the kilo-plastic-vessels stalls (melamine) and the sundal guy giving you to taste stuff (both of them missing this time), there is the usual Euro-line guys, Berg tandoor, roti maker, rajasthani pickles, cotton socks, grasim shirt/pant
Ahh... another Trade Centre exhibition regular! Red vacuum cleaners? Massage chairs?

I had not heard about this one, but sounds like one I can safely skip!
Old 30th October 2010, 19:23   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you get caught,they will try to stamp their authority all over you..
Let it be, I say; its their duty, they're doing it.

Quote:
If you talk about rules,they try to talk very tough almost in a threatening manner especially with the inspector around.They will try all sorts of tricks to get whatever they want.
One moment!!! You need to speak without stating rules & that's what I would say; also if one is really at fault, just accept immediately without argument & say I'm willing to adhere to fines.

If you're not at fault, never say that, I know this or that. Like them, you too be polite, but firm. What is the maximum they can do? Are you thinking they would simply find a packet of heroin in your car & book a non bailable case? Or would book you under eve-teasing? Or arrest you under the ESMA/POTA whatever? Talk the fact without stating the rules; remember, the maximum fine for a single offence is not more than Rs 1000. Even if your'e caught speaking on mobile while driving/riding, accept it. If you're looking the time in the mobiles & if they want to accuse you, then never give up.

Quote:
Still there are lot of good cops around who respect and won't disturb you when you travel with family or women.But the list of money hungry black sheeps are growing..
Haha!!! That's only a myth. Most cops knows which vehicles to pass or check. They do check cars which they want to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ahh... another Trade Centre exhibition regular! Red vacuum cleaners? Massage chairs?
We were another scape goats there as Wifey wanted to check some interior stuff. What a waste of Rs 80. And did you know what was there to show for gadget for car? A Garmin!!!
Old 30th October 2010, 23:58   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Rs80? the entrance fee is going up all the time. They used to be free, then it had crept up to Rs40. I wouldn't mind Rs80 for the couple of really big, multi-hall, exhibitions each year, but for the minor ones it is too much

Confused about Flyovers

Sorry, Road Over Bridges, is I think the correct local terminology... Is the one that has just been completed at Chrompet: this is supposed to connect to OMR towards the East. Does it? As far as I can see from the Google Maps, the East-bound road just tails off into a maze of local roads.

What about the one nearer to the airport, which has a wonderful road leading all the to it, from OMR, except it has never been finished. Is it still the same? This is the one, I think, that some poor guy drove up ...and landed on the railway tracks.
Old 31st October 2010, 00:22   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Confused about Flyovers

What about the one nearer to the airport, which has a wonderful road leading all the to it, from OMR, except it has never been finished. Is it still the same? This is the one, I think, that some poor guy drove up ...and landed on the railway tracks.
Thad - This is open now. Used it today on my way back. Makes life easier.

Chennai rains had made sure that traffic was standstill. Too almost 30 minutes to cross kodambakkam bridge. Also managed to get a scratch on my left part of my rear bumper. I was on the right most lane near BMW showroom when a van behind me decided to overtake from the left, heard a thud and he didn't even bother to look back or stop. Chased him and made him stop and he started giving the usual gyan - couldn't hear it anymore. Just asked him to drive carefully and moved on.
Old 31st October 2010, 00:56   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing to hear that that flyover is finished. I wonder if that will now be a quicker route to the airport from Palavakkam/Kandanchavadi than via Guindy?

Sorry to hear about your scratch. Yes, the rains seem to have started as of last night.
why oh why oh why can't they build drainage into the roads? My wife says, "because we never had rains like this until the last few years," but many of the main roads have been built, or altered, within that time. The Kotturpuram-bound side of the Turnbulls Road flyover leads into a huge puddle: just a few metres of pipe* would have taken all that water into the river, and the road development is only a year or so old.

That's my rant for the day!

*Or even just engineering the road so that it sloped towards the river! How hard would have that have been?

ok: rant really over now!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 31st October 2010 at 00:58. Reason: added extra rant!
Old 31st October 2010, 10:26   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad_E_Ginathom
Rs80? the entrance fee is going up all the time. They used to be free, then it had crept up to Rs40
Err...Thad sir, its Rs 80 for 2 people, I should've been clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad_E_Ginathom
Or even just engineering the road so that it sloped towards the river! How hard would have that have been
Easier said than done, which reminds me of a joke on the conversation between Obama & Dr.K.K

Scene 1 - Dr goes to US
Location - US, Obama's house
Dr - Eppadi ivalo periya veedu kattineenga?
O - Anga thooratula oru bridge theiryudha?
Dr - Aama theiruyudu
O - Andha bridge la irundhu vandha commissiona vechchu kattinaen

Scene 2 - Obama comes to Chennai
Location - Gopalapuram
O - Ennoda veedoda unga veedu perisa irukkae? Eppadi kattineenga?
Dr - Atho oru bridge theriyudha?
O - Theriyalaye?
Dr - Anga bridge katta vendiya panathula katinaen

Laugh over the rants!!! Nothing much can be done in this country.

2005 rains - I was glad company provided me transportation
2008 rains - Though I'd to travel a little to board company bus, I was still glad I can utilise company bus
2010+ - I'm glad I can work from home
Old 31st October 2010, 10:36   #254
BHPian

T.Nagar is going to be a mess this Diwali! I live in T.Nagar and cant even imagine walking to Pondy Bazzar or Ranganthan Street.
Old 31st October 2010, 10:59   #255
BHPian

Traffic in Madras is a nightmare

Guys

I am in chennai for the long weekend. My parents place is in Annanagar. I see a traffic explosion here. No one has any consideration for others. There is a chaos around any shop. People are ready to run over each other to beat the signal. This is a like a dog fight dog world.

I always make it a point not to take my car out when I am in Chennai. I walk to all places with in a radius of 3 kms to control my BP.

But when I was returning from temple yesterday evening I chose to use the broken pavement to walk just to keep away from arguments but a moron came and hit me in a bike. He gave me a mouthful for obstructing his way. I tried to remain patient . I ask him where else should I walk and his answer got me going.

I don't what's up with these folks ??

Regards

Sateesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks