Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 17:07   #2551
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
TN atleast has 3/4th of the revenue coming from elsewhere. Without liquor revenue which forms the major part, KL would come to a standstill.
Actually, I was surprised to see that alcohol is 25% of TN's revenue. In Kerala it is much lower - 20-22%.

Quote:
So, it cannot do without this revenue. And I don't think Kerala has done anything. The BEVCO (equivalent to TASMAC) shops are still there - with a plan to close 10% of those every year. But by the time the next year comes, it would be a new Govt and this plan would be chucked in the trash-bin.
I don't think "hasn't done anything" holds water. Last October they closed about 75 retail outlets, this October another 75 will go. That's a straight 20% reduction in outlets. Today, if you are north of Cochin (Thrissur to Kasargode) there are precisely 3 bars - one in Bekal and two in Calicut. And the present policy has judicial approval and grassroots support, so a new government might not find it easy to change policy that quickly - anyway, changing a policy that was implemented is something no government takes lightly.

Lastly, looking at the latest opinion poll, a change of government also doesn't seem to be a given.

Quote:
"Beer & Wine Parlours" selling beer - these are now dime a dozen and more common than tea-shops.
They are not selling enough. Just last week I read a (vernacular) report that trucks carrying beer from distillers in KA and MH have waiting periods of 10+ days to unload at Bevco warehouses since stock is not clearing at all. Retailers are not picking up stock because people are not drinking it fast enough.

Anyway, we are quite OT, so let us stop and move to PM or drop the topic.

Last edited by binand : 11th August 2015 at 17:08. Reason: link
Old 11th August 2015, 17:28   #2552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
I don't think "hasn't done anything" holds water. Last October they closed about 75 retail outlets, this October another 75 will go. That's a straight 20% reduction in outlets.
Wrong figures. There were only about 350 something BEVCO outlets in Kerala, of which the plan was to close 10% every year - so last Oct maybe they closed 30 odd. If they closed 75 outlets as you indicate, that is like 1/4th the total.
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/14092...-bevco-outlets

Yes, agree that we are OT here.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th August 2015 at 17:34.
Old 11th August 2015, 18:56   #2553
BHPian

OT ^^
While it might look like a good decision, it would give rise to illegal brew, which could be dangerous, and if I am right the Tasmac themselves are controlled by people who have the "right" connections!!

I think, we stop discussing this, since the 4(its now 5) southern states cannot live without it, people running it have the right connections and would not let it go and finally we might attract the wrath of the moderators
Old 18th August 2015, 23:15   #2554
Senior - BHPian

Yet another query : Is there any baby seat rental in Madras? I found a 'thegbabe.com' on the child seat thread for Pune, but none for Madras. I'll be in Madras on a short vacation, so doesn't make sense buying one which my currently 10 month old will outgrow.
Old 21st August 2015, 08:03   #2555
BHPian

accident at vandalur junction causing heavy pileups in all directions. Seems a volvo and a TNSTC bus are involved in the collision.
Old 21st August 2015, 09:07   #2556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
accident at vandalur junction causing heavy pileups in all directions.
Time to stick to train. There is no way you can get to work in time on road if its at vandalur junction.

High time the perungalathur flyover project kicks in..
Old 21st August 2015, 09:33   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Time to stick to train. There is no way you can get to work in time on road if its at vandalur junction.

High time the perungalathur flyover project kicks in..
Mate, Slightly OT. How is the traffic situation in Chennai which otherwise has alternate modes of public transport like MRTS, Suburban rail etc compared to Bangalore.
We have a dedicated thread about the traffic woes in Bangalore. Do we have a similar thread for Chennai Traffic??
Old 21st August 2015, 09:55   #2558
Senior - BHPian

After having driven in bangalore for about six months I can't tell you how glad I am to get back to Chennai - the traffic here gives you a proper perspective on just how much of a picnic Chennai traffic is, comparatively.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 14:11   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Mate, Slightly OT. How is the traffic situation in Chennai which otherwise has alternate modes of public transport like MRTS, Suburban rail etc compared to Bangalore.
Having driven in both cities extensively for years, I can tell you that compared to Bangalore driving in Chennai is a walk in the park. There is traffic, there are narrow roads, but in general there is some semblance of order as opposed to the utter lawlessness on Bangalore roads.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 15:28   #2560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Having driven in both cities extensively for years, I can tell you that compared to Bangalore driving in Chennai is a walk in the park. There is traffic, there are narrow roads, but in general there is some semblance of order as opposed to the utter lawlessness on Bangalore roads.
I have lived in chennai for close to 3 years and my assessment is traffic management is far better in chennai than bangalore. More cops to monitor the situation. I got the feeling people are afraid of cops in chennai unlike Bangalore. Even if you consider the main roads, the provision for taking U turn is not given everywhere as you find them in Bangalore.
Old 26th August 2015, 18:02   #2561
Senior - BHPian

It seems to be truck accident season. Last week I got Hit by an ace who reversed right into my rear - thankfully only my wheelcup & bumper clips got broken - settled with the godown owner who was there & a gentleman - I claimed only the wheelcup cash - 400. The driver sat and fixed the bumper clips back on.

Yesterday I was going to pick up my friend's wagon R after some bodywork after a truck scraped him. He ended up having to replace his fender, + repaint for 3 body panels & replaced mirror.

I was at the traffic light just before tambaram east signal, with a truck to my right. One the light goes green, the truck starts moving in my direction to avoid something at his right. I try to move to the right to avoid him, but some biker starts to overtake me from the left. I make a call on whether I should hit the biker or the truck. Decide on the truck, and I would rather pay 1.5K for an ORVM than get involved on the wrong side with a local.
The truck hit my Right ORVM, thankfully he did not run away. Initially said 300 was all he could give. Local traffic cop got involved. One of my friends dropped some names and the cop suddenly became more helpful. Finally decided to settle for 500.

I'm just glad I didn't have to spend 13K on bodywork like my friend.
Old 26th August 2015, 18:24   #2562
Senior - BHPian

Traffic on the OMR has been way less than normal the past 3 days. With the stop time at the signals also considerably lower than usual, drive to work & back has been relaxing.
This usually happens when schools are closed, but this ain't vacation time. Any idea why the sudden dip in traffic ?
Old 26th August 2015, 21:51   #2563
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the police department has ordered a huge batch of Gypsies. Seeing them patrolling everywhere with digital boards at the back.
Old 27th August 2015, 06:39   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
Traffic on the OMR has been way less than normal the past 3 days. With the stop time at the signals also considerably lower than usual, drive to work & back has been relaxing.
This usually happens when schools are closed, but this ain't vacation time. Any idea why the sudden dip in traffic ?
This happens in the OMR stretch from time to time for no apparent reason. There have been Monday and Tuesday mornings that have had mild traffic and Wednesday/Thursday mornings that have been B2B traffic.

But this time could be due to the Onam season, a lot of IT professionals on leave .
Old 27th August 2015, 10:46   #2565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel
Looks like the police department has ordered a huge batch of Gypsies. Seeing them patrolling everywhere with digital boards at the back.
Indeed. Yesterday there was one parked on the service lane near the Oggiam Thoraipakkam overbridge and was attracting a crowd of onlookers. After Accent, Bolero, Innova etc, now CCTP is going for Gypsies. With the fuel being petrol, does not seem like a good choice economically. If only it came with a 1.3DDiS engine, imagine the possibilities ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm
But this time could be due to the Onam season, a lot of IT professionals on leave .
That was my guess too. I think TN Govt has Onam as a holiday - so tomorrow traffic would be even less on the roads. Good for those of us who have to go to work.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed