Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2015, 11:55   #2566
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Why would anyone want to buy the archaic and slow Gypsy for a cop car, that too in a time when bikes/cars/buses can commute significantly faster?
Old 27th August 2015, 12:11   #2567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Why would anyone want to buy the archaic and slow Gypsy for a cop car,
The news mentioned that they have ordered Gypsies in order patrol the narrower lanes and roads. Let us wait and see what happens in reality.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 09:51   #2568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Why would anyone want to buy the archaic and slow Gypsy for a cop car, that too in a time when bikes/cars/buses can commute significantly faster?
That is not surprising - considering the fact that a long time ago, all Indian Police used Jeeps as their vehicles. We didn't have road infrastructure at that time (has it changed much now ?) and you needed a 4WD jeep to go places.

The very fact that they have got Gypsies for the Chennai Police shows that our city roads are that bad.
Prowler is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 10:04   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Narrow is the criterion - you'd be hard put to squeeze a honda into some of the roads in for example georgetown etc.

If you think the chennai roads are bad, I invite you to drive around say whitefield in bangalore - especially the nallurahalli, chinnapanahalli etc short cuts taken to reach NH7. Some of those are best attempted only if you have substantial off roading experience in mud and slush.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 13:35   #2570
Senior - BHPian

In people's minds Sarkari car = Amby; Police vehicle = Jeep. So most people will submit to authority and not try to flee from a jeep. Gypsy will look sufficiently like a jeep to the vast majority of the common populace, and serve the purpose!
Old 28th August 2015, 14:36   #2571
Distinguished - BHPian

By accident (I was supposed to be on the inner ring road: don't ask! ) I discovered the Chennai Outer ring road yesterday. What an amazing road! I would not have believed that our city could have such a stretch of tarmac!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 19:13   #2572
Senior - BHPian

@thad

Honestly after seeing roads in places like New Jersey i have to say, Chennai roads are way better inspite of the volume. The outer ring road is very new and not abused yet. But i feel with lack of care it will become like our by pass road. Bumpy, bad water ways and what not. The chennai bypass by far is now a dangerous road.
Old 28th August 2015, 23:49   #2573
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I had a bad time on the inner ring road the last time I used it: I didn't expect potholes

Sad to think that that lovely, international-motorway-class outer ring will probably go the same way.
Old 31st August 2015, 17:37   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sad to think that that lovely, international-motorway-class outer ring will probably go the same way.

I dont think we'll need to wait too long! Give it another season of extreme heat and rains and the road will sure melt at multiple places. The inner ring road is a classic example of that. I took the road recently and was shocked at the state that it was in.

Hi to one and all,

I take the Kathipara flyover twice on weekdays (while going to office and coming back home) and in the last month, I have seen a few accidents on the bridge.

I don't know if is just coincidence or if it has anything specific to go with the design of the bridge itself. But I do know for a fact that the part where the clover road merges into the main branch is especially dangerous, given how people drive. I recently avoided crashing into a pulsar bike who refused to slow down or look over his shoulder while merging into the main line. I had to hit the brakes on my activa to avoid going down.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th September 2015 at 16:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 1st September 2015, 05:19   #2575
BHPian

The kathipara flyover clover merge point actually is designed for slow merging but most of the time people mad rush to scuttle over to the other side . Also the rule is that when merging with main stream traffic the merging vehicle should slow down but alas we live in an utopian world of traffic rules in India

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 1st September 2015 at 05:20.
Old 1st September 2015, 06:39   #2576
Senior - BHPian

Merging in india is reverse of merging in all other countries. The primary vehicle on main lane has to watch and slow down for the suddenly cutting into the lane vehicle.

In reality I stick to right most lane in Kathipara at any junction where there is a lane merger.

Can someone post a picture of the junction now and the metro development in chennai from Guindy to Airport. Been exactly 1 years since i last saw the place.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 07:19   #2577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Can someone post a picture of the junction now and the metro development in chennai from Guindy to Airport. Been exactly 1 years since i last saw the place.
There are plenty of pictures here, covering every phase of the metro construction! Start from the last page, as you have been away for just a year!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=591102

Last edited by Gansan : 1st September 2015 at 07:21.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 13:43   #2578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I guess that Google Maps/Earth is fairly up to date. See this link. There is a running metro train there (as of today) so it must be recent.
Old 8th September 2015, 15:06   #2579
D C
BHPian

Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai**ALERT** Woman Requesting Help with Medicines

**ALERT** Woman Requesting Help with Medicines at Traffic Signals in Chennai

See my post here : link

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th September 2015 at 17:07. Reason: Cross-linking :)
D C is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 22:41   #2580
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the big brother of the VW Vento is a Malayaalee

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc_0090.jpg
Blue Thunder is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks