Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 22:33   #2596
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Honestly, my wish is that they should learn to be safe --- for the sake of themselves and their families first, and for the sake of the rest of us second.

A lesson or two on common courtesy and consideration wouldn't go amiss, of course, but yes, that is true of other road users too.
Old 14th September 2015, 22:56   #2597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, the probability is that they don't even see the indicator. So many bikers don't seem to see anything, because they don't look.
Usually i block that space some 50 meters before i am turning left. So is the case with right. My indicators are on way ahead of the turn itself and i am already closing that gap.

Like Thad said, it’s important for the drivers to also take precaution and ways to avoid these gap squeezers.

I am not a role model for if you give me space and when i am on my bike, i almost every time take it. Lane splitting and lane filtering in India is a blessing. I hate NJ where i cannot do this. It’s such a waste of time standing in the queue at a stop sign when there is so much space to ride around and move forward.(Filtering)

I am not sure about lane splitting at high speed because it’s not a great and safe way to get ahead of traffic. But stationary cars and filtering the lanes should be legal anywhere.

But Thad kind of summarized courtesy and consideration along with self precaution and self safety is required these days.

I stopped passing by left while moving when i almost hit a guy who ran in front of me. That’s the day i stopped it. Now unless there are stationary vehicles i don’t squeeze in between. Even if i do i don’t stop on the side of the vehicle but either get in front of them or stick behind them. As i said, riding motorcycle and not able to use the space to me doesn’t make sense.

Sensible usage is ok and perfectly fine as long as it doesn’t hamper other driver’s vision and decision making.
Old 15th September 2015, 00:17   #2598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
i don’t stop on the side of the vehicle but either get in front of them or stick behind them. As i said, riding motorcycle and not able to use the space to me doesn’t make sense.
It doesn't make sense to me either, and I'm not a biker!

It makes sense to me that bikes are not held up by stationary traffic, so long as there is room to proceed, then they should do. But the overtaking issues we are talking about are just so wrong and dangerous, as are...

- cutting inside while a car is turning (actually, just don't overtake at all on a turn or corner).

- overtaking between another vehicle and something solid, eg wall or median

- overtaking between two moving vehicles, or cutting through a closing gap.

- passing close (ie reach out and touch distance) to any other fast moving vehicle

- and so on...
Old 15th September 2015, 00:27   #2599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

- cutting inside while a car is turning (actually, just don't overtake at all on a turn or corner).

That's very very annoying! They just don't realize that the gap we usually leave on the inside is for us to avoid hitting the platform when we turn. They squeeze in, knock our mirror , make us brake hard & sometimes they cut on the inside & brake check you right after the turn. I don't understand why they should do that! I never do that when I'm on a two wheeler!
Old 16th September 2015, 17:41   #2600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k
what I do now is, in the morning I take the pallikaranai, medavakam, thalambur siruseri and enter office from the back gate. On my return which is normally after 8:00 pm I take the OMR-Kotturpuram - alwarpet - Gemini - Nelson manickam road- AnnaArch.
What time do you leave for work in the morning ? Since you return after 8PM, I am guessing you clock in late too - around 11-ish ? When I used to commute from Choolaimedu, the sweet spot for leaving home was 8AM, which would mean a free N.M.Road, N.H.Road, Mount Road, Nandanam, Kotturpuram, M.Kailash and OMR - taking 45-50 mins for 20kms IIRC. If I left at 8:30AM, traffic would have built up at all the afore mentioned roads enroute and add 20-30mins to the commute. Leave at 9AM or later and it can be a mess.

I used to try various routes via T.Nagar, but gave up all those in favour of the longer but wider route mentioned earlier above. Even though it added a km or two to the commute, the drive was comparitively less stressful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian
Have seen SupremeBaleno on the road multiple times when he was travelling from Choolaimedu and when my office was in Perungudi.
Indeed. And identifying you was a breeze given your red Thar - I don't think I was ever able to spot you before you got the Thar (with you driving your Getz / Swift).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th September 2015 at 17:42.
Old 16th September 2015, 19:56   #2601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What time do you leave for work in the morning ? Since you return after 8PM, I am guessing you clock in late too - around 11-ish ? When I used to commute from Choolaimedu, the sweet spot for leaving home was 8AM, which would mean a free N.M.Road, N.H.Road, Mount Road, Nandanam, Kotturpuram, M.Kailash and OMR - taking 45-50 mins for 20kms IIRC. If I left at 8:30AM, traffic would have built up at all the afore mentioned roads enroute and add 20-30mins to the commute. Leave at 9AM or later and it can be a mess.
I leave between 08:15 - 08:45 in the morning. By the time I reach NM road, its choked, and moves inch by inch from the methanagar junction onwards. So I used to cut across to Koyambeddu and drive on the 100 ft road. Now the neduvankarai bridge/8th main road is one way in the morning, and I take Anna Arch-mmda, and then reach the 100ft road/JN road until Kathipara, take left at alandur, then medavakam main road, inner ring road, pallikaranai, medavakkam, medavakam-mambakam road, thazhambur and reach the back gate at siruseri. This is a moving traffic, but if for some reason there is a block due accident then I am doomed. I tried taking the route you used to take through Kotturpur, Mkailash, OMR, and found that the traffic was too impatient, and they dont mind brushing others' vehicles, and potential for road rage was fairly high. Be it when you are merging into the main traffic near ramco or at the signal at tidal park or the entire stretch of OMR its all short fused and fight waiting to happen. The biggest challenge is crossing the sholinganallur signal. I dont mind a couple of kms more, but defn need peace of mind while driving, and the next vehicle should not be cms from you on the left or right. The ECR route was relatively ok, but the problem is the thiruvanmayur stretch, and the adyar stretch. Once on ECR its again a moving traffic!!
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 14:31   #2602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
then medavakam main road, inner ring road, pallikaranai, medavakkam, medavakam-mambakam road, thazhambur and reach the back gate at siruseri.
Hi Raghu.t.k. I take Velachery Bypass and Pallikaranai-ECR Link Road. Look out for a Red Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Indeed. And identifying you was a breeze given your red Thar - I don't think I was ever able to spot you before you got the Thar (with you driving your Getz / Swift).
Agreed :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But the overtaking issues we are talking about are just so wrong and dangerous, as are...

- overtaking between another vehicle and something solid, eg wall or median

- overtaking between two moving vehicles, or cutting through a closing gap.

- passing close (ie reach out and touch distance) to any other fast moving vehicle

- and so on...
Not just bikers. One has to be ready for all vehicles to do something stupid.

Here are some experiences caught with my DVR.

sjcherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 15:41   #2603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Hi Raghu.t.k. I take Velachery Bypass and Pallikaranai-ECR Link Road. Look out for a Red Thar.
Sure will be on the lookout for the Thar. I would normally be driving in either an azure grey SX4 or AStar, with the stickers on the rear bumper.

All the videos look very familiar!! I think, the first one is near the oil mill road where a u-turn is taken to proceed towards Kamakshi hospital. Good to see in last video that the ford driver was not penalized, and I have no sympathies to the bike rider.
Old 17th September 2015, 17:23   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Sure will be on the lookout for the Thar. I would normally be driving in either an azure grey SX4 or AStar, with the stickers on the rear bumper.

All the videos look very familiar!! I think, the first one is near the oil mill road where a u-turn is taken to proceed towards Kamakshi hospital. Good to see in last video that the ford driver was not penalized, and I have no sympathies to the bike rider.
Sure will look out as well for you. You are correct about first video location is near the Oil Mill road.
Second video: Velachery Bypass towards Phoenix.
Third Video: ECR Link road towards Sholinganallur.
Fourth Video: Usman road past the Croma. There was no doubt in anyones mind including the riders that they were at fault.
Old 17th September 2015, 19:53   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Cherian

Cant believe you had a romantic music as a audio for the guy falling down. And i cannot believe that the ford wanted to hog the road. This is where common sense should take over and block the space for that biker to even think of doing something like that. I believe he had a pillion potentially a women. Idiot to me.

In way you seem to drive calm, and most of us with a thar would have not given that space for wagon R
Old 17th September 2015, 20:00   #2606
BHPian

Quote:
Cherian

Cant believe you had a romantic music as a audio for the guy falling down. And i cannot believe that the ford wanted to hog the road. This is where common sense should take over and block the space for that biker to even think of doing something like that. I believe he had a pillion potentially a women. Idiot to me.

In way you seem to drive calm, and most of us with a thar would have not given that space for wagon R
I had to strip out the music that was playing in the vehicle as Youtube recognized the audio. It was two guys that sped in and fell on the bike. No one expected the biker to cut from left all the way to the right and then cut left. I didn't as I was focused on traffic in front.

Had no choice but to let the idiotic Wagon R driver cut in as I honked a lot and to no effect. Since the audio was cut out you don't hear my swear words (in all videos) !
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 22:54   #2607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Here are some experiences caught with my DVR.
Here's something similar to what you witnessed yesterday (assuming the date on the video of the biker falling down is right)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3650970

Quoting your comment in Youtube:
Quote:
When seeing guys on bikes cut in an out of traffic this is what I secretly wish to see happen
This is exactly what goes through my mind too, when I see such imbeciles

Last edited by silversteed : 17th September 2015 at 22:57.
Old 17th September 2015, 23:50   #2608
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine too, although I wish them only a bruising lesson and no worse --- but what if the following vehicle can't stop. Then the life of that driver maybe messed up.
Old 18th September 2015, 00:12   #2609
Senior - BHPian

I dont wish them harm but i tell to myself how i must not do those things.

I have learnt over years on the risks. I am not going to blame them. Its part of learning process and some learn it quick and move on while others test their limits.

I can tell you times i would have been that person in early years. The kick out of that adrenaline rush is definitely one of the reasons. Even now i ride a 650 and enjoy those wonderful twisties and i know i am testing my luck trying to get a better chicken wings on those tyres. But i ensure i am not harming others in the process.

Even in the below ride

Everytime i see parked vehicles or even someone walking i litreally try to let go othe accelerator and ensure its a empty road to have my own fun.

This rule applies to me all the times when I say to myself i should avoid being the reason for an accident to others. i watch atlesat once the accident videos online and now showing it to my wife who started driving to let her know its not only her driving that can cause something bad but there are enough idiots out there.

I dont and wont wish them harm. I just pray i dont be that person anytime by mistake, by my adrenaline, by my anger, my emotions and what not.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 01:15   #2610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dont wish them harm but i tell to myself how i must not do those things.

I have learnt over years on the risks. I am not going to blame them. Its part of learning process and some learn it quick and move on while others test their limits.
I know kids will be kids, but still I do blame the fathers, brothers, teachers, even the mothers, sisters and girlfriends (how much of this driving is only done to impress the lady passenger?) too who did not teach them to at least try not to be idiots.

Quote:
This rule applies to me all the times when I say to myself i should avoid being the reason for an accident to others.
Great attitude!
Quote:
i watch atlesat once the accident videos online and now showing it to my wife who started driving to let her know its not only her driving that can cause something bad but there are enough idiots out there.
My father used to tell me: Remember that 50% of accidents are the other person's fault.

Quote:
I dont and wont wish them harm. I just pray i dont be that person anytime by mistake, by my adrenaline, by my anger, my emotions and what not.
Ahhh yes... adrenaline can be dangerous. Even at my age, I am still learning how to keep my blood cool out there on the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks