Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 02:16   #2611
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
I do blame the fathers, brothers, teachers, even the mothers, sisters and girlfriends (how much of this driving is only done to impress the lady passenger?) too who did not teach them
You cant blame them man. My father told me to not take chemical engineering, my father told me to not buy a Jetta but buy a land instead, my father told me not to sell an enticer in 11 months to buy a 500cc bullet....

They try their best. The age is such that the EGO takes over everything else. The only thing we can blame is the time it takes for each human being to realize there is more than "I" and "Self"

Considering this new age with access to so much online, youtube and google we can only pray that people get some senses.

We dont even have six flags in India to experience the adrenaline on a roller coaster or a sling shot. We take it out on motorcycle i guess
Old 18th September 2015, 08:49   #2612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Here's something similar to what you witnessed yesterday (assuming the date on the video of the biker falling down is right)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3650970

Quoting your comment in Youtube:

This is exactly what goes through my mind too, when I see such imbeciles
Yes the date on the video is correct. Had too many cases of guys on bikes come hurtling through and damaging my stationary cars and then flippantly stating that nothing has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Mine too, although I wish them only a bruising lesson and no worse --- but what if the following vehicle can't stop. Then the life of that driver maybe messed up.
Have never wanted their life taken - just that they learn a lesson. No safety gear whatsoever and still driving like they are on a race track. They deserve what they get. Bikers who use proper riding safety gear and drive carefully deserve respect, especially when they make riding look like an art form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
We dont even have six flags in India to experience the adrenaline on a roller coaster or a sling shot. We take it out on motorcycle i guess
You are adding a biker's perspective - am sure you do get your rush where there is no traffic/not in rush traffic.

I do get my rush on 4 wheels as well - when there is no time pressure to reach anywhere,with a full tank of diesel, open roads with nice music playing hearing the turbo whistle feels like the definition of heaven. Speed doesn't have to be much to enjoy the drive. I did a drive on ECR on a weekday afternoon this June (to celebrate 3 years of ownership of my Thar) and totally enjoyed it. Stayed under 80 all the way. Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_20150630_160912.jpg.

Nowadays have to be satisfied getting my kicks from staying under 65 within city limits and still reaching the next signal earlier than the racer dudes on cars and bikes cutting in and out and then getting stuck in a lane of traffic that has stopped.

Last edited by sjcherian : 18th September 2015 at 08:50. Reason: Typo
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 15:08   #2613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
... Bikers who use proper riding safety gear and drive carefully deserve respect, especially when they make riding look like an art form.
Absolutely. In fact, as I just commented on another thread, good driving is invisible.

Quote:
Nowadays have to be satisfied getting my kicks from staying under 65 within city limits and still reaching the next signal earlier than the racer dudes on cars and bikes cutting in and out and then getting stuck in a lane of traffic that has stopped.
I've noticed that looking ahead and using anticipation can sometimes result in leaving behind some guy is obsessed with and only sees the vehicle immediately ahead.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 16:32   #2614
Senior - BHPian

As one who frequently alternates between a car and bike, I have seen both making mistakes. The bikers make more mistakes and some of them are more ignorant of traffic rules though. And some car drivers are relatively more restrained due to fear of scratches and dents, more than consideration for others!

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2015 at 12:34. Reason: Lets not discriminate based on someone's economic standing. Thanks
Gansan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 19:36   #2615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
As one who frequently alternates between a car and bike, I have seen both making mistakes. The bikers make more mistakes and some of them are more ignorant of traffic rules though. And some car drivers are relatively more restrained due to fear of scratches and dents, more than consideration for others!
I too use my car and bike. But the problem is far too many bikers ride as if they are Kamikazes, to extent that they are a danger not just to themselves but everyone on the road. When I take my bike to office, I more scared of the buses and then the bike/scooters than the cars. Rarely does the car cut you across.

You just need to see the stretch from IIT through tidal park and OMR, and then judge if it has anything to do with the social strata or even the number of academic degrees!!

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2015 at 12:34. Reason: Quoted post edited
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 17:08   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
You just need to see the stretch from IIT through tidal park and OMR, and then judge if it has anything to do with the social strata or even the number of academic degrees!!
Sir, it is no better if not worse in the opposite direction (LB Road - Tidel Park & right to Madhya Kailash) side.

Believe me you, its the ones with the laptops & ties that play chicken with the traffic.

Not to mention the mob that comes out of the MRTS just when there is a green signal and hold up the entire traffic.

I have seen better sense with the not so educated.

I guess traffic & common sense is inversely proportional to education levels.

PS: No offense meant to those execs who religiously use the foot over bridge & wait for the walk signal to cross the road.
Old 11th October 2015, 10:44   #2617
BHPian

The road on the airport bridge has been milled for over a month now waiting for a new layer of tar. It is difficult to ride as 2 wheelers cannot manoeuvre this stretch easily whereas the bigger vehicles speed up and start honking.

Hope the authorities take notice of this soon.
Old 11th October 2015, 11:28   #2618
BHPian

I have seen more animals wait for signals and check both directions and cross only when there is a green for pedestrians than actual humans ! The humans run across without looking and depend on their favourite diety to save them.

I had a close one within the office complex(has multiple companies office buildings) where an Alto decided to cross from extreme left to extreme right without checking rear view mirrors. Luckily I was able to stop without hitting them. I didn't manage to control myself from pulling up by the side of that car and telling them to use their rear view mirrors.
Old 14th October 2015, 12:02   #2619
BHPian

For the umpteenth time I have to live with wrong side driving on my way to work today.
Place KK nagar main road
The guy was driving a hyundai i20
comes out from the petrol bunk near nesapakkam
sees traffic clogging the place at the junction of munusamy salai and anna main road.
Decides to drive through on the other lane (usually for vehicles entering Nesapakkam from munusamy salai)
does it with style panache and lot of Ado.
The dimwit gets a few choice abuses from other motorists as usual does not give an ear.
clogs traffic for 5 mins and when a oncoming bus stops cms away from his driver door he gets jittery and panics. Honks for way then pleads with the bus guy
I was more than happy to see such good treatment meted out.
Old 26th October 2015, 15:42   #2620
BHPian

Returning to office this morning I found new speed breakers and barricades while approaching Velachery MRTS station from the Inner ring road, with 2 of them reasonably close to each other. If this was to help the pedestrians cross, then they should build a subway, rather than speed breaker and barricades. Looks like the traffic police have now found an easy way to control the speeds - just put a set of barricades & job done.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 23:02   #2621
Senior - BHPian

Some new ones (drum type barricades) have cropped up on OMR as well.
Hmm, looks like these have become standard tools for CCTP.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 11:00   #2622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Some new ones (drum type barricades) have cropped up on OMR as well.
Hmm, looks like these have become standard tools for CCTP.
Saw this last night, and it looks more like an advert for the muli-specialty hospital. Thanks at least it makes the drums visible. Not sure why we need to be paying the toll for a road that is designed to create traffic jams(apart from having to tolerate the other issues).

While driving this morning, I was wondering the country that invented these speed breakers and barricades as a traffic management tool/system, which we seem to have perfected!!

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 27th October 2015 at 11:03.
Old 1st November 2015, 14:05   #2623
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hindu Auto Expo is on, right now, along with one or two other exhibitions, at the Chennai Trade Centre.

Frankly, I've never found it much good in the past. You can see more cars in the average car park, and get much closer at the average dealer. But hey, if you don't have anything else to do for the rest of the afternoon!

I'm going to pop along there now. Actually, I expect to spend more time at the Home/Office Interiors expo! But you never know, I might be pleasantly surprised
Old 1st November 2015, 21:55   #2624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Hindu Auto Expo is on, ... Frankly, I've never found it much good in the past. You can see more cars in the average car park
And, true to form, it was a complete waste of time. I really don't know why they bother.
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:28   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
And, true to form, it was a complete waste of time. I really don't know why they bother.
Was there a fee for it ? I believe any such expo that charges for viewing vehicles has to be avoided.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks